Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2013, 08:24   #1

New Honda Activa : Airlock Problem

Hello All,

I had taken delivery of a brand new Honda Activa on March 28. First 2-3 weeks, the machine was okay. I took it back to the dealer to fit couple accessories (buzzer, grip) that got missed out during delivery. At that point there was a very minor rattle that came from the front of the machine. The dealer guys opened up some front panels and re-seated them. One of the guys while raising the throttle to check for rattling, fell on it and for few seconds the throttle was twisted to the maximum and the vehicle was almost shuddering.

After getting back home, there was a gap of 2-3 days and when I tried to start the vehicle, it wouldn't start no matter what. Neither kick-start nor electric worked. Fuel level was okay. Rolled it to the nearest mechanic and he fixed it saying it was an airlock and pretty rare in new vehicles. It ran okay that day. Now again after 2-3 days gap, problem re-occurs. Vehicle is not starting. I'm close to first service and want to raise this directly with the dealer.

What could be the problem here? Is there a permanent fix for this issue?

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 23rd April 2013, 10:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: New Honda Activa : Airlock Problem

Change the fuel hose connecting fuel tank to carb; happens on rare circumstance due to heat the fuel supply hose cracks up

PS - Joined in 2011 Jun & making first post in 2013???
Old 23rd April 2013, 13:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: New Honda Activa : Airlock Problem

It might have to do something with the throttle which was twisted during the accessories installation. Did you ask the dealer to check it after the installation was done?
As Aargee suggested, the fuel hose might be a culprit too. Suggest you to take it to the workshop and get the scooter checked thoroughly.
Old 23rd April 2013, 15:43   #4
BHPian

Re: New Honda Activa : Airlock Problem

My experience may be similar to yours but was on TVS Wego where it suddenly stalled and shut off after riding for 20kms approx. I didn't had any other option ( Thanks to the wonderful tools provided with the scoot. I couldn't remove even a single Nut in the seat unit. Kudos to the brilliant brains who thought about it :( ) other than pushing it to a mechanic. It was finally found out that there is a breather pipe from the cylinder connecting to the air filter. It got loose from the air filter and due to this there was not sufficient vaccum created to pump the petrol to the carb ( This is the way I understood it ). Once the tube was fixed back. Problem got resolved.

Now I am counting on whether it was a design problem or an one off quality issue. I will be happy if its the 2nd one though.
Old 23rd April 2013, 19:05   #5
BHPian

Re: New Honda Activa : Airlock Problem

I'm not sure how scoot fuel lids are designed, but on a motorcycle, you could end up with this issue if you clog up the fuel lid's spring action. The tank breathes from the lid. In your case, since the vehicle is new, it must have no lubrication which could have locked it up thereby cutting out air from the tank. I could be totally wrong, though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks