Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2013, 16:36   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vihari View Post
I am not able to make up my mind but personally I feel it will be a lot comfortable to ride a TB than drive my car in this dirty traffic.
It is better to be on a bike than a car in bumper to bumper traffic. But I am not sure if TB or a scooter are good choices. Since you are looking at a used TB, you might not know the existing issues in it. If left stranded, pushing the bike to a side will take its toll on your back. Same with pushing a punctured TB!

Scooters are ok for 1-2kms grocery shopping or at max. around 5kms. More than this you will worsen your back as they dont have a good suspension set up to take in the pot holes.

You will be better off with lightweight commuter machines which are 150cc and above as Ravi sir has suggested; because most of them have gas charged, adjustable shocks at the rear and also shocks with a good travel range in the front. The shocks of 100cc bikes leave a lot to be desired coupled with their mileage oriented "cycle size" tyres which are hard compound and make the ride quite harsh.

All the best in your selection.
abhinav.s is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 17:46   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeymist View Post
I have observed that the catalytic converter is discoloring like hot iron. is it normal? i got it checked at the service station, initially they said they will replace, later they claimed that it is common across all 500 cc engines. is it so?
1) I am planning to use synthetic oil going forward, will it help in my engine maintenance significantly?
2) Is there any air-filter model from K & N which is compatible with TB500?? If yes, will it help the performance in any way??
1. The discoloration is not normal. It means that your catalytic converter is being pushed over the temperature that it can bear and is now undergoing internal reactions due to the high temperature which I believe can be accredited to your daily 60km rides. Just get your back pressure checked by a mechanic. Cause can be either plugged pipe or a faulty spark plug.
2. Synthetic oil will keep your engine cleaner and will run it smoother. You engine maintenance should improve though I won't say significantly. Try using speed as well and that should get you to significant.
3. There are aftermarket K&Ns for TB500. The job of an air filter is to remove restrictions to air flow and not force air into inlet. So the pressure is quite the same and that is one reason why you don't need to upjet your carb. So in short words, it will take your acceleration and top speed a notch upwards.

However do consult a mechanic regarding your tail pipe. Hope I was helpful in some way.
dhaval-mehta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 17:55   #198
Senior - BHPian

Exhaust pipe turning golden brownish near catalytic converter is pretty normal and it doesn't affect the bike in any way,i have the similar colour/issue in my CL500,so you don't need to lose sleep over it.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 15:36   #199
BHPian

Hi

Has anyone seen a rear seat luggage carrier for the new TBs? The rear seat comes off and there are slots to fit a luggage carrier. I cant find one online.
Old 7th August 2013, 11:13   #200
BHPian

I have not seen one online but have seen one saddle installed on TB500 in blore, but it was in traffic so couldn't get a closer look. I am sure some thing is available in shops close to RE showrooms , you may want to check.. Also some cool options are available for luggage ..and below is one from lets gear up!!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Old 7th August 2013, 11:55   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjun.r View Post
Hi

Has anyone seen a rear seat luggage carrier for the new TBs? The rear seat comes off and there are slots to fit a luggage carrier. I cant find one online.
Why not go in for the trusted Ladakhi Panniers? You can get one altered for TB. understand the TB has a shorter wheelbase and is way shorter when compared to the Classics.

there is an interesting thread on a different forum which i will post it anyways.

http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/moto...nfield-t23297/

@Mods:
Would it be acceptable to post links from other forums? Searched for it in Team BHP and could not find one. if this is not to the best taste please delete it. Spare me from an infraction please as i want to keep a clean slate
Old 7th August 2013, 13:06   #202
J.Ravi

Chennai To Bangalore

Yesterday, my Blue Bird flew from Chennai to Bangalore and will remain there for the next coupla months. I left T Nagar, Chennai, by 1:40 pm, had a 45 minute food break at Saravana Bhavan, Vellore and a 15 minute fuel break at BP COCOO at Chinnar, between Krishnagiri and Hosur, and reached my home at Basaveswara Nagar, Bangalore, by 9:15 pm.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-1.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-2.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-3.jpg

My Blue Bird recorded a fuel efficiency of 29 kmpl perhaps due to my aggressive riding this time.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-4.jpg

After filling petrol upto the brim of the tank at Chennai and Chinnar, I observed 4 bars only as against 6 bars normally displayed on the fuel gauge; perhaps, this has something to do with the replacement of new petrol tank. Today, I discussed this issue with Mohanakrishnan, service manager. He assured me that he would coordinate with his counterpart at Bangalore company service station, where this fault would be rectified. I intend to go there on 13 July 2013 [Tuesday].
  (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 18:50   #203
J.Ravi

Fuel Float Replaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
After filling petrol upto the brim of the tank at Chennai and Chinnar, I observed 4 bars only as against 6 bars normally displayed on the fuel gauge; perhaps, this has something to do with the replacement of new petrol tank. Today, I discussed this issue with Mohanakrishnan, service manager. He assured me that he would coordinate with his counterpart at Bangalore company service station, where this fault would be rectified.
Today, I rode on my Blue Bird to the company-owned service station near Bannerghatta Road, Bangalore after calling Suraj, service manager. First, they tested with a brand new instrument cluster, which also showed the same 4 bars when the tank was full. Then, they removed the tank after draining out petrol. They replaced the fuel float with a new one, fitted back the tank and filled back petrol. Then, the fuel gauge displayed 6 bars instead of 4 thanks to Suraj.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-2.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-3.jpg

My Blue Bird successfully completed 3,000 km within 4 months of purchase at the Inner Ring Road, BTM Layout, Bangalore, on my way to the service station.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-1.jpg

Last edited by J.Ravi : 12th August 2013 at 18:55.
  (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 19:31   #204
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fuel Float Replaced

Quote:
My Blue Bird successfully completed 3,000 km within 4 months of purchase at the Inner Ring Road, BTM Layout, Bangalore, on my way to the service station.
Congratulations on completing 3000 kms on your blue bird. Wishing you many more miles of smiles now that you have got a new tank and float Hopefully that will be the last of replacements.

Out of curiosity think Rajajinagar does have a couple of Autorized Service Stations. But why all the way from one end of the city to another to reach BTM Layout?

PS: wow appears that they are really busy with such a huge number of motorcycles to be serviced.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 20:03   #205
J.Ravi

Re: Fuel Float Replaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Congratulations on completing 3000 kms on your blue bird.
Thanks a lot, Mahesh.
Quote:
Hopefully that will be the last of replacements.
I too pray for the same!
Quote:
But why all the way from one end of the city to another to reach BTM Layout?
This was coordinated by Mohanakrishnan, the Chennai service manager with his Bangalore counterpart. I did not mind going alll the way to Bannerghatta Road as long as the work was done satisfactorily.
Quote:
wow appears that they are really busy with such a huge number of motorcycles to be serviced.
I reported at 12:30 pm, bike went into the work station at 2:45 pm and got back my bike by 4 pm including lunch interval between 1:30 and 2:30 pm. Yes, they are very busy.
  (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 14:40   #206
BHPian

Hi Sir,

congrats, glad to see a robust and steady companion with you complete 3000 Kms.

I too seem to have the fuel bar issue but not sure completely.

I filled Rs 1000 petrol when I took delivery and i think it showed 6 bars, today the reserve bar started to blink, filled in Rs 500 worth of petrol, the bars jumped to 4 then in few min the bars stood at 3 .

I recollect it was mentioned that each bar is approx 5.5 liters , not sure if this is correct.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Cheers again on this milestone :-)

Last edited by Jimmy_u : 19th August 2013 at 14:42.
Jimmy_u is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 21:02   #207
J.Ravi

Thanks, Jimmy_u, for the compliments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post
I filled Rs 1000 petrol when I took delivery and i think it showed 6 bars
When petrol is filled upto the brim, the number of bars should be 7. My Blue Bird has shown 7 bars many times. But, even after changing the float recently, the number of bars did not exceed 6 when the tank is full.

But, today, when I took my Blue Bird out to KR Market area to buy multi-bit Stanley ratchet screwdriver, the fuel gauge displayed 7 bars and I was very happy. But, my happiness was short-lived. Within a few minutes, one bar vanished into thin air.

I don't depend upon the number of bars in the fuel gauge. Open the tank and check for yourself, and if necessary, go for refuelling irrespective of the number of bars. Even if the last bar flashes, please note that more than 5 litres of petrol will be available in the tank!
  (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 14:42   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Open the tank and check for yourself, and if necessary, go for refuelling irrespective of the number of bars. Even if the last bar flashes, please note that more than 5 litres of petrol will be available in the tank!
It has been the same with my TB as well. Find the fuel meter to be highly unpredictable and instead rely on the number of Kilometers logged before i head for a refill. Out of curiosity how many kms do you get to a full tank of petrol both on highway & city traffic.

Also did you install the cigarette lighter?
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 16:39   #209
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Out of curiosity how many kms do you get to a full tank of petrol both on highway & city traffic.
I rode Bangalore>Mysore>Gopalaswamy Betta>Mysore>Bangalore with a tankful of petrol and 3 bars remained after 480 km! The details are here.

Quote:
Also did you install the cigarette lighter?
No. I have decided not to mess up with my Thunderbird's fragile electricals. Instead, I got solar charger. The details are here.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 21st August 2013 at 16:41.
  (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 16:58   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I rode Bangalore>Mysore>Gopalaswamy Betta>Mysore>Bangalore with a tankful of petrol and 3 bars remained after 480 km! The details are here.
].
480 Kms with 3 bars left does seem to be very frugal. Appears that you have kept a steady right hand. With the average speed being 43 Kmph am sure you have reined her in well. Last time on the highway, my TB gave me 475 kms before it started to blink and she easily took in 15.2 liters of petrol. Offcourse the average speed was 68 Kmph.

But do you think running a cable along the battery would cause so much of an issue? Am thinking of doing one and will keep you informed incase you are keen to know more about it.
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks