Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2013, 14:37   #241
J.Ravi

Third Free Servicing

Today, my Blue Bird had the third free servicing done at the company service centre at OMR, Chennai after completing 6 months from the date of purchase. I paid Name:  rupeesymbol.gif
Views: 6092
Size:  578 Bytes 946 towards engine oil and oil filter.

The fuel efficiency recorded for yesterday's Bangalore to Chennai trip was 32.38 kmpl on tankful-to-tankful method.
  (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 15:32   #242
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries

Sir, seeing your ride reports I feel that you are something great and inspiration for many of us here.

Now I should really rethink about my idea of transporting my Bull to Chennai using a parcel service. I will also plan to ride it sometime
BulZire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 16:46   #243
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
Sir, seeing your ride reports I feel that you are something great and inspiration for many of us here
Thanks for the nice words, BulZire.

Quote:
I will also plan to ride it sometime
Bangalore - Chennai is easily doable in 6 - 7 hours. Nowadays, I do it with just one break.

Old 18th October 2013, 17:17   #244
BHPian

Dear Ravi sir,

Congratulating you for owning the Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. Your thread and stories are so inspirational. You are a role model for the younger lot in many ways. I must say that your passion for wheels and riding deserves commendation. I have been following your thread since May '13, the days I when was planning to buy a Thunderbird 350. I was not a member of Team-BHP at that time. Your thread gave so valuable information about the bike has greatly helped me in making this decision. Now I own a Thunderbird 350. I am glad to know that your bird is clocking happy miles and giving you trouble free riding experience. Wishing you the same in the coming years.

1) Could you please provide the details of consumables/parts replaced during the second service and the break up of charges incurred for the same ?

2) How has been your experience while getting the service(s) done at company owned service center at Chennai ?

3) After clocking 4,000 km, the gear shifting has become smoother or rough ? Has their been any difference in acceleration and engine response ?
bhasker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 19:53   #245
J.Ravi

Thanks, bhasker, for your kind wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhasker View Post
1) Could you please provide the details of consumables/parts replaced during the second service and the break up of charges incurred for the same ?
For the second service, there was no replacement of engine oil/oil filter. So, I was not charged anything at all. In fact, there was no bill given to me!

Quote:
2) How has been your experience while getting the service(s) done at company owned service center at Chennai ?
They are good, IMO. My Blue Bird had all the 3 services and tank replacement done at the company service centre, OMR, Chennai. She had the float replacement done at the company service centre, Bannerghatta Road, Bangalore. So, I have had nice experience from the Chennai/Bangalore company service centres.

Quote:
3) After clocking 4,000 km, the gear shifting has become smoother or rough ? Has their been any difference in acceleration and engine response ?
The engine opens up after the running-in period, say after 1000 km. The bike in general becomes smoother, peppier and more fuel efficient.
  (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 20:43   #246
J.Ravi

Blue Bird Flies 4,000 km

Today, my Blue Bird recorded trouble-free flight of 4,000 km at Kodambakkam High Road, Chennai.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc00947.jpg

Old 24th October 2013, 03:22   #247
Senior - BHPian

Hello Ravi Sir,

Thank you for your detailed report and the way you have kept us updated on a regular basis. After going through it, below are the requirements which I think will go well with my Amun-Ra

3M chain cleaner
3M chain lube spray
Clutch Cable
Formula 1 Carnauba Wax
MapMyIndia navigator
Handlebar holder

Obviously you can well understand that I have made the above list after going through your ownership experiences both of the Thunderbird and Linea.

A few questions that I have are as follows. If you can throw some light, I will be highly obliged :-

> How to get the handlebar holder, like the one you are using? I have searched the E-bay, but apparently it seems that none are available now.

> It seems that you are using MMI LX130. Presently that model is not available at the site (probably discontinued). Checked with the LX140ws, but this one is also out of stock. Do you foresee any other models which gives acceptable performance level in that budget range or do you suggest me to wait for some days?

By the way, the Solar Charger concept was fantastic and easy going, without touching the electricals of the Thunderbird. I will say that as the best approach.

> Lastly, with regards to the Cramster tankbags that you are using. I am referring to the arms (which I think contains the magneets). I have seen that whenever you use them, you put a piece of cloth and then put the bag. How is the grip after the cloth? Also does the arms engulf the entire petrol tank (like a bear hug) or it firmly grisps at the sides?
As Amun-Ra is Std 500, can you foresee if there will be any obstructions while riding.

Please keep this thread updated with your regular posts and happy thumping / mile munching

Best regards,
Majumdarda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2013, 08:12   #248
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
How to get the handlebar holder, like the one you are using?
I bought it from DX. Here is the linky: http://dx.com/p/universal-motorcycle...ck-grey-195341

Quote:
Checked with the LX140ws, but this one is also out of stock.
You can buy Lx140ws from Flipkart or local MapMyIndia dealers in Pune. http://www.flipkart.com/mapmyindia-l...1-d2a90c7cbbd4

Quote:
How is the grip after the cloth?
The grip over the cotton towel is great even when the bag is fully loaded with the solar charger on the top pouch!

Quote:
Also does the arms engulf the entire petrol tank (like a bear hug) or it firmly grisps at the sides?
The four magnetic arms of the bag fully grip the sides of the tank.

Quote:
As Amun-Ra is Std 500, can you foresee if there will be any obstructions while riding.
The magnetic bag will sit on your Amun-Ra's tank firmly without any problem notwithstanding its lesser capacity, IMO. But, always keep some cloth as buffer on the tank to prevent scratches.

Quote:
Please keep this thread updated with your regular posts and happy thumping / mile munching
Thanks a lot for the kind wishes, Majumdarda.
  (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2013, 11:50   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your detailed report and the way you have kept us updated on a regular basis. After going through it, below are the requirements which I think will go well with my Amun-Ra
.Please keep this thread updated with your regular posts and happy thumping / mile munching

Best regards,
I would suggest please go for a waterproof GPS unit.The reason is,a waterproof unit will by default be dustproof too.I myself am using a Garmin unit(not waterproof) with Ram handle bar mounts.
http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResul...5/Default.aspx

Ram mounts are damn rigid and can effortlessly bear vibrations without any issues.I have a pic but cant upload it due the admin restrictions.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th October 2013 at 02:28. Reason: Please quote only relevant portions of post. Thanks!
Old 24th October 2013, 14:35   #250
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Ravi sir for your prompt reply. I am now waiting for my tankbag to arrive. Had placed the order at approx 2am

Thank you Rakesh sir for your kind guidance. One query that I have is that will MMI Lx140ws fit on the Ram handle mounts? I understand that waterproof is required, but what if I laminate the set (like we used to laminate our mobile phones in good old college days)

Please excuse me for sounding naive, but can someone please guide me in choosing the correct GPS unit. What are the things to be looked at while choosing a particular GPS unit (from the motorcycle perspective)? I have searched the internet for available data, but expert guidance is always the best option.
Same goes in selection of the Handle Bar mounts. How to choose what?

I do not want to hijack your thread Ravi sir, and therefore I did not want to put my query over here in the first place. But unfortunately I could not locate any relevant open forum discussions on the same topic. Also I could not update on my thread, as doing that I would have probably not received your guidance.

Please excuse sirji.
Old 25th October 2013, 07:59   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Rakesh sir for your kind guidance. One query that I have is that will MMI Lx140ws fit on the Ram handle mounts? I understand that waterproof is required, but what if I laminate the set (like we used to laminate our mobile phones in good old college days)
I would suggest not to laminate the unit as it can prevent the unit from dissipating heat.Plus during day time the unit will get very hot.
MMI does sell motorcycle specific GPS units.Did you try mailing them?
Ram mounts are spilt into three parts-The holder,clamp and unit frame that holds the GPS.The holder has a U bolt that secures the holder onto the handlebar.The holder is universal but the frame is unit specific.The clamp holds the unit frame onto the holder I am doubtful whether Ram mounts would be available for MMI units.Its available for all Garmin models.I have used both Garmin and MMI units and found the former to be more user friendly(just my personal opinion)

Humble appologies for hijacking this thread as i didnt find any other place where i could reply.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2013, 09:14   #252
J.Ravi

Quote:
can someone please guide me in choosing the correct GPS unit.
I bought my MMI Lx130 navigator in December 2009. The made-in-China hardware is still going strong after nearly 4 years. I have subscribed for 2-year map upgrade plan comprising 4 upgrades. I have used my MMI navigator extensively in my Blue Line [Linea] in 23 states/UT of India. In my Blue Bird [Thunderbird 500], I have started using it very recently during my ride to Chitradurga/Vani Vilasa Sagara Dam, when it guided me precisely. The map covers the points of interests extensively. I find that 95% of the times, it guided me correctly, in the remaining 5 %, it misguided me, that too, at ghostly hours on the godforsaken places! For example, I had programmed the navigator for Ginger Hotel at Guwahati; we reached there by 3 am, it guided me to a main road and declared 'destination reached' and took rest! Ginger Hotel was located within a hundred metre on a lane perpendicular to that main road, which I found out after some enquiries at the early hours of the day! On the whole, I am fully satisfied with the maps and hardware of MapMyIndia.

As regards to handlebar holder, I selected the one I bought as it received some good reviews and was within my budget.

Quote:
Please excuse sirji.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Humble appologies for hijacking this thread as i didnt find any other place where i could reply.
Not at all. Feel free to discuss such common topics here so that it would be beneficial to all.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 25th October 2013 at 09:16.
  (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 17:54   #253
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore>Chitradurga Fort>Vani Vilasa Sagara Dam>Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Thanks, MK. I will be eagerly waiting for your report. I will definitely reconsider my decision in favour of ciggy lighter socket!
Ravi Sir,
Did head out for getting the Ciggie Lighter fitted onto my TB 500. Unfortunately they had run out of stock and I was left dry. Whilst checking out their merchandise was able to lay my hands on the latest offering from Wild Boar Silencer. This one was made to be fitted on the TB's.

So far the experience has been pretty good, yes it is loud but then someone mentioned that in India you ought to be loud especially when you are on a 2-wheeler. There has been no difference in the performance of the bike but I think mileage might get affected by atleast a couple of kms for the simple reason as my right hand has become more trigger happy than earlier. The crackle is very clear and has a deep thump to it.

Have attached one photo but please pardon the poor quality as it was shot from my camera in fading light. Removing the rear back-rest seems to have made the bike more twitch-able and flickablity has gone high. Just need to point it in the right direction and a gentle swagger you will be cornering.

Rear suspensions are still a pain in the butt, and am eagerly waiting for the Continental GT Launch. Believe Nov end but not sure on the dates though.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-img2013102700343.jpg

PS: Apologies for using your thread, but am beginning to get lazy to open a new one myself
ku69rd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 18:02   #254
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Did head out for getting the Ciggie Lighter fitted onto my TB 500. Unfortunately they had run out of stock and I was left dry.
Please post the details, whenever you get the 12V charger thingy done in your bird.

Quote:
Apologies for using your thread, but am beginning to get lazy to open a new one myself
Not at all; you can post the details here for the benefit of the fellow-BHPians.
  (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 18:13   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Ravi Sir,
Removing the rear back-rest seems to have made the bike more twitch-able and flickablity has gone high. Just need to point it in the right direction and a gentle swagger you will be cornering.
I am sorry, you lost me there. Can you please tell me how the back rest affects the handling?

BTW. The bike looks cooler without the backrest! Also, did you get the new silencer from Sandhya automobiles? If you dont mind please share the name and price of this new model.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 28th October 2013 at 18:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks