Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2013, 20:06   #286
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post

Thank you very much Jimmy_u. Offcourse a Pune - Mahabaleshwar trip is required and let me plan this one, after I return back. If I remember correctly, I think you had completed the Mumbai - Pune trip, right after getting the delivery of your motorcycle, on a rainy season. [I think I had read it some place]
Hi,

yep i did do a mumbai - pune ride immediately after taking the delivery of the Bull. Amazing !! is the feeling I can say and the best part was that i was hardly tired after I got home, more fatigue due to the weather than the ride.

Maybe we can plan the Mahabaleshwar ride together if time and leave permits !!

Sorry J.Ravi Sir for the OT .
Jimmy_u is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 15:43   #287
J.Ravi

Cracked Odometer Replaced By Royal Enfield Under Warranty

Today, my Blue Bird had her odometer with the cracked glass replaced with a new one by Royal Enfield Chennai OMR service station under warranty.

The story goes like this: today, I rode on my Blue Bird to Royal Enfield Chennai OMR company service station for some brake, clutch and chain adjustments, where I met fellow-Thunderbird rider Babaji, who had come to get his cracked odometer replaced and also for regular servicing. When I saw his Thunderbird's odometer, I was shocked, because, even my Blue Bird's odometer was disfigured like that. The tragedy was, my Blue Bird had these cracks right from day one without my being aware of their presence. I ignored them thinking that it was a kind of reflection on the edges. But, he confirmed that they were cracks on the glass of the odometer. Immediately, I included the cracked glass of odometer in my list of complaints. The SA too confirmed that they were cracks and assured that they would do the needful and noted down in the job card. I met Mohanakrishnan, the service manager, who also assured that they would take care of it. I was observing sitting in the customer lounge that the old unit was dismantled and new one fitted under warranty. The other faults were also attended to satisfactorily. I was not charged for anything. Since the cracked glass of the odometer is a common problem in all the new Thunderbirds, I feel Royal Enfield should proactively recall all the new Thunderbirds for replacement of the old odometer with a new one without waiting for the customers to complain against it. There may be many ignorant customers like me, who might have missed the replacement but for the fellow-Thunderbird rider. Thanks a lot, Babaji for pointing out the cracks on the Blue Bird's odometer glass.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-1.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-2.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-3.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-4.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-5.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-6.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-7.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-8.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-9.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-10.jpg
  (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 16:25   #288
BHPian

Sir even my Odo has a crack, will be visiting the RE center this weekend to get it checked.

Also the tank ring (silver color) has been loosing paint. hope the RE guys acknowledge this and provide a replacement.

regards,
jimmy
Jimmy_u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 18:14   #289
Senior - BHPian

Wow, even my TB has a similar white lining around the edges. Thank you Ravi Sir, i will take a closer look and if required will go in for a replacement.
Cant the Odometer be programed to start off from where it stopped on the previous meter?
ku69rd is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 18:23   #290
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post
Sir even my Odo has a crack, will be visiting the RE center this weekend to get it checked.
The odometer glass cracking seems to be affecting all new Thunderbirds. It's hightime that Royal Enfield recalled all Thunderbirds for replacement of the old one with a new one. Otherwise, Royal Enfield will have tough time in marketing premium bikes like Conti GT with these faulty odometers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Cant the Odometer be programed to start off from where it stopped on the previous meter?
I enquired. That is not possible. The SA informed me that I would not have any problem regarding future servicing and warranty as the odometer replacement under warranty has been uploaded in their system.
  (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 11:36   #291

[quote=J.Ravi;3306081]The odometer glass cracking seems to be affecting all new Thunderbirds. It's hightime that Royal Enfield recalled all Thunderbirds for replacement of the old one with a new one.

Damn! I just noticed. My 2 month old TB 500 also has this odo mirror cracks. Thanks a lot Ravi sir, for highlighting. Will head to the OMR service center and get it changed.
Prinz_500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 11:41   #292
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinz_500 View Post
Will head to the OMR service center and get it changed.
I think all Thunderbirds have this cracked glass right from the day one. Royal Enfield delivered the Thunderbirds to the customers with the cracked glass. The company service station at OMR, Chennai, has the new odometers in stock. Please rush asap and get it replaced.
  (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 11:53   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I think all Thunderbirds have this cracked glass right from the day one. .
Sir,
Can't these meters be replaced with just the plastics or glass? Can't they service only the meters?

Feel that it does not make good business sense and it will set false expectations with the public. When the meters are working fine i think RE is going a bit too far.

@ Automobile Industry Insiders --> how does the replacement of stuff in warranty work? Would the vendors handle it or does the company take part of the financial hit?
Old 29th November 2013, 13:55   #294
J.Ravi

Quote:
Can't these meters be replaced with just the plastics or glass? Can't they service only the meters?
From Royal Enfield point of view, replacement of the entire unit may be economical, quicker and practical compared to fixing a new glass over the existing odometer as the workmanship may not be the same across India as they have to ensure 100% water-proofing.
  (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 14:45   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From Royal Enfield point of view, replacement of the entire unit may be economical, quicker and practical compared to fixing a new glass over the existing odometer as the workmanship may not be the same across India as they have to ensure 100% water-proofing.
Sir,
Acknowledge your view there but if you recollect many bikes have the housing panel and I suppose that might be sufficient for the job.
Anyways will leave it to the wise honchos in the company to decide what is best and what not. Yes it might require more manhours to be inputted though.
Old 30th November 2013, 18:41   #296
Senior - BHPian

On reading post I checked my instrument pods. Sure enough the glass on the Tachometer was cracked at multiple points. The speedo meter which incidentally was changed under warranty a few months back also showed some fine cracks. My warranty ended just a couple of weeks back. I hope that REML issues a recall or at least replaces the meters / glasses as a goodwill measure.
Old 1st December 2013, 18:31   #297
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
I hope that REML issues a recall or at least replaces the meters / glasses as a goodwill measure.
I am told that the new instrument cluster has updated software. Shoot a mail to customerservice@royalenfield.com.
  (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 20:55   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am told that the new instrument cluster has updated software. .
Sir,
What are the highlights of this new software?
Old 1st December 2013, 22:25   #299
BHPian

Here at Dehradun. The Local Dealership Recalled many TBs and changed the instrument cluster under warranty. I got mine about 15 days ago. Though there was nothing wrong it.
shan2129 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 08:07   #300
J.Ravi

Quote:
What are the highlights of this new software?
No idea. Perhaps, better accuracy after re-calibration? I don't depend upon the Blue Bird's fuel gauge bars and I refill her when it shows single bar as I don't want to run out of fuel. Similarly, the digital clock runs faster always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan2129 View Post
Here at Dehradun. The Local Dealership Recalled many TBs and changed the instrument cluster under warranty. I got mine about 15 days ago. Though there was nothing wrong it.
That's nice gesture by Royal Enfield. Mine was delivered with cracked glass; my Blue Bird completed 3 free services with the cracked glass; only, after my pointing it out, the instrument cluster was replaced under warranty recently at Royal Enfield company-owned service centre at OMR, Chennai.
  (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks