Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2013, 14:12   #316

Ravi sir, Do I see an avg of about 58kmpl in one of these pics?

And Ravi sir, Thanks to you, I got my slightly cracked instrument console replaced under warrenty from the company service centre on OMR. They din'ty have stock and I had to wait for about an hour for the console to be brought from the Adyar showroom.

While waiting for it, just dropped into the showroom and look who I bumped into:
[IMG]C:\Users\378794\Desktop\Desktop\Bikes\Continental GT 1.jpg[/IMG]
(mods, am not sure if this picture can be here. If not, please get it off).

The GT looks drop dead gorgeous in flesh. Couldn't take my eyes off for quite sometime. The single seat can be replaced with a 'RX-100-ish' two seater for about 4k. And those cling on RVMs at the end of the handle bar would cost you another 4k.

Last edited by moralfibre : 30th December 2013 at 07:23. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use EDIT/MULTI-QUOTE within 30 minutes of posting.
Old 27th December 2013, 15:00   #317
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinz_500 View Post
Ravi sir, Do I see an avg of about 58kmpl in one of these pics?
Prinz, look closely. It is 58 KMPH. It is not the average fuel consumption but the average speed .
rajneeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 15:23   #318

Ahh! My mistake. Thanks Rajneesh!

For a minute I thought it was kmpl and was shocked. Thought I could take a tip or two from Ravi sir
Old 27th December 2013, 23:20   #319
BHPian

Ravi sir,

Please tell about the following:

1) How do you perform the very first start of the morning on you Bird ? Is it a kick start or an electric start ?

2) Do you start riding your bike immediately after starting the engine, or you warm the engine for sometime ? If yes, then you warm up for how many minutes and at what RPM ? Is it necessary to warm up the engine for every cold start ?

3) How do you determine that the engine is warmed up ?

4) Do you maintain any particular speed just after you start riding, in order to be easy on the engine ?

For my Bird, I have always followed a practice to do a kick start in the morning. Followed by, riding the bike for two minutes, on 2nd gear such that the engine RPM is always maintained between 1, 200 to 1, 500 RPM. I guess this should be totally fine, considering the fact that idling engine RPM for our Birds is around 1, 000 RPM and warming up at 1, 200 RPM should be OK.

Please share your thoughts on the same.

Regards

Last edited by bhasker : 27th December 2013 at 23:30.
Old 28th December 2013, 13:28   #320
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhasker View Post
1) How do you perform the very first start of the morning on you Bird ? Is it a kick start or an electric start ?
I always start my Thunderbird 500 by electric-start only. The owner's manual also specifies electric-start only. It does not talk about kick-starting. I resort to kick-starting occasionally to test whether kick-start works alright.

Quote:
2) Do you start riding your bike immediately after starting the engine, or you warm the engine for sometime ?
I start the engine, allow it to idle, adjust the rear-view mirrors, check the instrument cluster for any warnings, check whether my helmet is properly secured, if night-riding, switch on the headlamp and then, start riding. All these checks would consume less than a minute.

Quote:
3) How do you determine that the engine is warmed up ?
The rpm will slightly increase and the knee area will get warm cross-currents.

Quote:
4) Do you maintain any particular speed just after you start riding, in order to be easy on the engine ?
Definitely, yes. For the first few km, I maintain a steady low speed/rpm. Then, I increase it gradually.
  (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2013, 20:56   #321
BHPian

After my electra 350 5s,I have booked my thunderbird 500 stone last week. They informed me that I will be getting the bird by March.But I got a call from the showroom yesterday telling,if I can make the full payment,they can give the bike in a week time.So what is this 'waiting period of 5-6 month' funda?
Old 28th December 2013, 21:09   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
After my electra 350 5s,I have booked my thunderbird 500 stone last week. They informed me that I will be getting the bird by March.But I got a call from the showroom yesterday telling,if I can make the full payment,they can give the bike in a week time.So what is this 'waiting period of 5-6 month' funda?
One of the possibilities is that someone has cancelled and they are giving the bike to you. Another one (though far stretched imagination), that something is amiss and they are trying to get it off asap. I do not have any proofs regarding this practice, but considering the Time they had provided you earlier (March 2014) and the sudden willingness to get it delivered (December 2013), compels me to think in this line.
Old 28th December 2013, 22:54   #323
BHPian

Decided not to go with this offer.I would rather wait for 2 more months and get a 2014 model bike.Even I became suspecious about this sudden availability.By the way, any comments on my choice of color? the STONE?
Old 29th December 2013, 09:49   #324
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
I would rather wait for 2 more months and get a 2014 model bike.
All the auto manufacturers are planning to increase the prices in January 2014. So, 2014 models will be costing more than the December 2013 models.
  (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 06:45   #325
AAD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
All the auto manufacturers are planning to increase the prices in January 2014. So, 2014 models will be costing more than the December 2013 models.
Namaste Ravi ji,

I am an avid reader of your thread since I am also a Thunderbird 500 owner. Due to pressure of work I haven't been able to ride much in the last 12 months of ownership. my odo currently reads at 2800 kms. I am inspired by your riding experiences and as I have also just crossed 50 yrs, am able to relate with your passion.

The question that I have is how well equipped are you to handle common problems like punctures, cables breaking or fuses blowing during your rides. What are the measures you have taken to respond to such situations should they arise?

Saluting your spirit of Can Do and wishing you a Happy, Safe New Year.
AAD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 08:14   #326
J.Ravi

Thanks a lot for kind appreciation and compliments, AAD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAD View Post
The question that I have is how well equipped are you to handle common problems like punctures, cables breaking or fuses blowing during your rides.
My Thunderbird 500 experienced puncture [rear wheel] only once, while crossing a toll plaza. Thankfully, vulcanizing shops were available nearby, I could get the puncture vulcanized and continue my ride after some delay. Removing the rear wheel requires two people, one to tilt the bike and another to remove it. Recently, when I rode to Athirapilly Falls from Sholayar Dam in the evening, there was no human habitation all along the route as it was a dense forest. The first 20 km of road after entering Kerala was very bad. Yes, in such a situation, there was a great risk involved. Thankfully, nothing untoward happened either to me or Blue Bird.

My magnetic tank bag carries a genuine spare clutch cable to take care of emergency. I am yet to buy spare fuses. Thanks for reminding me. I have them in my Linea, but yet to have them for Blue Bird.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 30th December 2013 at 08:16.
  (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 08:16   #327
Senior - BHPian

Ravi Sir,

Yesterday, while interacting with some fellow riders I got a very crucial input regarding puncture repairing. Per them they do not need to take the tire out of the motorcycle, but repair it the way, it is done in cycles.

Are you aware of this process? I kinda remember the way the bicycle tire is repaired of puncture, but how to have that implemented on a 200+ kgs motorcycle.

Please advise.
Old 30th December 2013, 08:22   #328
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Are you aware of this process?
That's tube-patching. But, the problem is, it won't last long under pressure. Proper vulcanizing repair has to be done later.
  (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 08:38   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
That's tube-patching. But, the problem is, it won't last long under pressure. Proper vulcanizing repair has to be done later.
But as an interim process till one reaches a mechanic it can hold, right? I could not locate any videos for the same. Is there anything present?
Old 31st December 2013, 08:17   #330
BHPian

on a road trip,all these setup will be difficult.Easy way is to carry a foot pump,fill the air without removing the nail which caused puncture and move on till you see a vulcanization shop.
I was thinking of getting tubeless tyres,so that fixing puncture will not be that much of a head ache.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks