Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2013, 10:39   #331
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
on a road trip,all these setup will be difficult.Easy way is to carry a foot pump,fill the air without removing the nail which caused puncture and move on till you see a vulcanization shop.
I was thinking of getting tubeless tyres,so that fixing puncture will not be that much of a head ache.
There were some queries and inputs regarding some thing called as Puncture sealant. Basically it is some sort of liquid like substance (I think), that is induced into the tube while refiling. I have heard that it can also hold punctures and works for tube-tires. But question is, all this information is somewhat vague. I need to know the exact brand and the procedure involved, for tires with tubes.

Any body any inputs please...
Old 31st December 2013, 12:50   #332

Quote:
Decided not to go with this offer.I would rather wait for 2 more months and get a 2014 model bike.Even I became suspecious about this sudden availability.By the way, any comments on my choice of color? the STONE?
Congrats white-rabbit! Wise decision to wait rather than jumping onto the offer. IMO, stone is the best looking color on the TBTS. Its, unique too! (and i guess, stone has longer waiting periods that the other 2 shades of black)

While you'll have a nightmare maintaining it and keeping it scratch-free, am sure you will adore that color.
Prinz_500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2014, 09:24   #333
AAD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Thanks a lot for kind appreciation and compliments, AAD.

My Thunderbird 500 experienced puncture [rear wheel] only once, while crossing a toll plaza. Thankfully, vulcanizing shops were available nearby, I could get the puncture vulcanized and continue my ride after some delay. Removing the rear wheel requires two people, one to tilt the bike and another to remove it. Recently, when I rode to Athirapilly Falls from Sholayar Dam in the evening, there was no human habitation all along the route as it was a dense forest. The first 20 km of road after entering Kerala was very bad. Yes, in such a situation, there was a great risk involved. Thankfully, nothing untoward happened either to me or Blue Bird.

My magnetic tank bag carries a genuine spare clutch cable to take care of emergency. I am yet to buy spare fuses. Thanks for reminding me. I have them in my Linea, but yet to have them for Blue Bird.
Namaste Ravi ji,

Wish you Happy & Safe Riding all through 2014 & beyond.

Regarding dealing with emergencies such as punctures, broken cables or replacing fuses, have you actually done so in normal circumstances? Meaning have you done it practical? I have been planning to get a mechanic from the Enfield service station over to my residence on a holiday & actually do each of these activities myself to gain practical experience.

This will help me to keep the right tools with me at times when I begin long distance touring & also deal with such situations on my own as far as possible. Your thoughts & experiences on this will be most appreciated.
AAD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2014, 12:22   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAD View Post
Namaste Ravi ji,

Regarding dealing with emergencies such as punctures, broken cables or replacing fuses, have you actually done so in normal circumstances? Meaning have you done it practical? I have been planning to get a mechanic from the Enfield service station over to my residence on a holiday & actually do each of these activities myself to gain practical experience.

This will help me to keep the right tools with me at times when I begin long distance touring & also deal with such situations on my own as far as possible. Your thoughts & experiences on this will be most appreciated.
Hi AAD,

Welcome to the club and congrats.

I recently had the experience of replacing a fuse on my TBTS 500, it was a cakewalk since i studied some forums and also the RE manual and to tell you this was my first time , so don't worry it would be fine once you get the hang of it. I will update my thread with details soon.

Regards,
Jimmy
Jimmy_u is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2014, 20:01   #335
J.Ravi

Quote:
Regarding dealing with emergencies such as punctures, broken cables or replacing fuses, have you actually done so in normal circumstances?
Frankly, no. Thankfully, the situation has not arisen so far. But, I am confident of tackling such emergency.

Old 2nd January 2014, 10:43   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Namaste Ravi ji,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post
Hi AAD,

Welcome to the club and congrats.

I recently had the experience of replacing a fuse on my TBTS 500, it was a cakewalk since i studied some forums and also the RE manual and to tell you this was my first time , so don't worry it would be fine once you get the hang of it. I will update my thread with details soon.

Regards,
Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Frankly, no. Thankfully, the situation has not arisen so far. But, I am confident of tackling such emergency.
Well,I have faced a lot of these,including broken chains.I felt,personally,a plier is the best friend you can have on a long rides.The worst part of the ride is when the back tyre gets puncture and there is nothing you can do about it.Pushing a bull to the puncture shop,believe me, is the last thing you will do in your life time.
I am thinking seriously about the sealents.But not sure about them.I always have felt,getting a foot pump is the best quick fix.
Old 2nd January 2014, 10:53   #337
Senior - BHPian

Its time for me to change my wheels on the TBTS500. I will be replacing the original wheels with the GT's spoke alloys and Pirelli tubeless tyres. Will keep you posted... cheers
apachelongbow is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2014, 14:20   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Its time for me to change my wheels on the TBTS500. I will be replacing the original wheels with the GT's spoke alloys and Pirelli tubeless tyres. Will keep you posted... cheers
Way to go.Will Pirelli tubeless fits in the stock rim? What are the other options for tubeless available?Do post the pics after your modifications.

Guys,any body have set up LED fog lamps on TBTS?
Old 2nd January 2014, 14:55   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure that the PSD-s in the Continental GT are tubeless?
Old 2nd January 2014, 15:57   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Are you sure that the PSD-s in the Continental GT are tubeless?
True, the tires are tubeless but the wheel and the setup makes you to use it with a tube. The tire is however pretty good and makes better contact than the MRF Zappers.
Old 2nd January 2014, 16:00   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Am skeptical on how you can fit the GT's Alloy Wheel on your TB. The TB comes with 40 spokes whereas the GT comes with 36 spokes. So the alignment will be an issue. You might want to Change the rear hub as well to that of GT to make this work. Had to give up those thoughts myself after doing a detailed study.

Quote:
Yep, know a couple of my friends who have fitted LED lights on to the TB.

PS: Mods, can you please merge both my posts to one? Thank you
Old 2nd January 2014, 16:11   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I've installed them on my TBTS 500. Details can be found at.

Last edited by ventoman : 2nd January 2014 at 16:12.
Old 2nd January 2014, 17:18   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Am skeptical on how you can fit the GT's Alloy Wheel on your TB. The TB comes with 40 spokes whereas the GT comes with 36 spokes. So the alignment will be an issue. You might want to Change the rear hub as well to that of GT to make this work. Had to give up those thoughts myself after doing a detailed study.
We've been doing that for years now. Long before Royal Enfield actually officially launches bikes with 18 inch wheels.

You modify the hub by either cutting/trimming off the outer rims with the original 40 holes and then cutting in new 36 holes (its not a straight through punch but a carefully positioned bevel - so its an expert job). Then you get matching spokes - which is also a pain.

The other option which nobody resorts to is blocking the original holes by aluminum welding and finishing, and then redoing the holes with 36 holes as above. However, the correct spokes to match the lengths is impossible, and you land up having to cut and rethread the ends of each spoke individually to the new shorter length before taking on the nipple.

As far as Bullets are concerned, nothing is impossible - or has not already been tried by guys who were riding these bikes before most of us were even born.

Here is a photo of the modified OE hubs (note the much smaller than stock lip where the new holes are made), and 36-hole 18 inch rims (front one is a KB100 rim, rear one is a CBZ rim, tyres are MRF Zapper Q's). Used this setup for over 30,000 kms without a single spoke breaking or even loosening up. I still have the set with me, shod with off-roading button tyres (CEAT Vertigo and Secura Sport), which have been bashed over many thousands of off-roading terrain with rocks and stuff - and still nothing to the modified hubs or the after market spokes.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-kiana-056-copy.jpg

Last edited by ebonho : 2nd January 2014 at 17:42.
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2014, 21:29   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
We've been doing that for years now. Long before Royal Enfield actually officially launches bikes with 18 inch wheels.
Wow that is some amazing stuff you have shared. Let me try to look around even more. Have not seen much bikes being done though. Was planning for the hubs themselves but will give this a detailed thought.

Only worry is that, if not done properly it will affect the handling of the bike big time. But your post instills lots of confidence Bro.

Happy New Year Doc, hope you have a great year ahead.
Old 2nd January 2014, 23:33   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Way to go.Will Pirelli tubeless fits in the stock rim? What are the other options for tubeless available?Do post the pics after your modifications.

Yes the GT are tubeless tyres on spoke like alloys. Also we cant put a tubeless tyre on spoked wheels because of the air leaks from the spokes. My reason for putting in the GT alloys are for getting tubeless tyres. I am tired of 3 tube replacements in my TB (the only issue with my bike so far)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks