Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2014, 17:38   #436
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhijeet_BHU View Post
I'm also in the same confusion. Want to buy a TB 500. However those niggles related to RE Thunderbird are they really still severe or is the New gen TBird trouble free. Confused wether to go for it or wait for upcoming SS 400 from Bajaj or HX 250 from Hero.
Abhijeet,

The Bajaj SS 400 or the Hero HX 250 will be a different breed of bikes from the TBTS and it is not fair to compare them. These bikes will be more technologically advanced and should offer much higher performance and reliability.

The REML thumpers offer an old world charm which none of the new bikes have. Having said that, I have had a TBTS 500 for close to 17 months and have put over 6000 KM on the clock without any problems. I just wish that the REML dealerships offer a quicker and more professional service experience to their customers who pay more than twice of what an average 150 cc bike owner pays.
Old 6th April 2014, 10:03   #437
BHPian

Ravi Sir you are always an inspiration to all RE lovers. I am also planning for a ride to Chennai from Bangalore.

What is the kind of clothing you advise for long rides in this climate. "Wearing jeans", is it a suggested one?
rki2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2014, 10:24   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
What is the kind of clothing you advise for long rides in this climate. "Wearing jeans", is it a suggested one?
Wearing "riding pants with armor" is the suggested one. If you are using external knee guards you can wear cotton pants, cargo pants(can store essentials in the pockets) or loose jeans.
Please avoid any tight fit,etc and wear a comfortable innerwear. Also, applying Nivea generously over the bums helps(from personal experience).
Old 6th April 2014, 10:32   #439
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Ravi Sir you are always an inspiration to all RE lovers.
Thanks for the good words, rki2007.

Quote:
Yes. Apart from jeans pant, I wear Cramster Breezer jacket with the thermal and water-resistant layers removed and Cramster Flux summer gloves during all long rides in summer. Wearing mesh jacket helps to maintain hydration levels during summer although it is uncomfortable.

Old 6th April 2014, 14:20   #440

It is almost eerie how you and I think alike. Just 3 days ago, before I came across this thread I began contemplating buying a Thunderbird 500 for touring to Leh. When I chanced upon this thread , I was reminded of the time I was looking for leads for my road trip to Leh , if you can recollect Ravi sir, after reading your thread about your trip to Leh in the Linea, I drove to Leh in my Punto.
strike909 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2014, 19:25   #441
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by strike909 View Post
It is almost eerie how you and I think alike.
Great minds think alike! Thanks for the nice words, strike909.

Quote:
Just 3 days ago, before I came across this thread I began contemplating buying a Thunderbird 500 for touring to Leh.
All these mega one-dayers are rehearsals to test my physical fitness and mental alertness before riding to the Himalayas. Let me see when it becomes a reality.
  (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 18:43   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
All these mega one-dayers are rehearsals to test my physical fitness and mental alertness before riding to the Himalayas. Let me see when it becomes a reality.
Ravi Sir, I am sure you will be able to do it and quite comfortably with your BlueBird!

With the same mindset, the longest day ride I've done so far is 333.8 Kms. After doing this I felt that it is only the rider who needs rest, not the machine Itching to go further but there are some limitations currently holding me up!

Wishing you best of luck and good health to make it happen
SuperSlick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 19:05   #443
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSlick View Post
Ravi Sir, I am sure you will be able to do it and quite comfortably with your BlueBird!
Thanks a lot for the encouraging words, SuperSlick. I plan to take Blue Bird by courier/train for the up journey and ride all the way back from Leh to Chennai! Hence, these practising sessions - keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 11th April 2014, 11:25   #444
J.Ravi

My Rides

With great difficulty, after many permutations and combinations, finally I could plot all my rides in one Google Classic map [old version]. Unfortunately, I am unable to save it as it shows error message due to large number of destinations/via points!

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-mytrips.jpg
  (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 08:10   #445
J.Ravi

Blue Bird's First Birthday

Today, my Blue Bird celebrates her first birthday silently in her hibernation in absentia as I am 350 km away. But, the good news is, I will be reunited in few days and take her for another long ride to a hill station.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc09506.jpg

During this one year, Blue Bird covered all the south Indian states and UT, viz., Tamil Nadu, Pondicherry, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Kerala. Except one puncture, that too at a toll plaza, Blue Bird has not given me any problem at all during our long rides. I am thankful to my Blue Bird and wish her many more happy returns of the day and many more trouble-free long rides in the days to come.
  (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 08:24   #446
Senior - BHPian

Re: Blue Bird's First Birthday

Quote:
Today, my Blue Bird celebrates her first birthday

Many many happy returns of the day to your Blue Bird. Her rides along the plains of India is definitely a moral booster for many like us. Today is also the New year in accordance to the Bengali calender. So let me be the first to wish you and "The Blue Bird" a very happy and prosperous New Year.

Wishing you both miles of happy and safe thumping across the streets of India.

Best regards,

Bikramjit.
Majumdarda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 17:53   #447
J.Ravi

Perfect birthday present to my Blue Bird with the perfect timing!

I ordered VIAIR digital tyre pressure gauge with amazon.com on 8 April 2014 by paying ₹ 1,613.17 through my credit card. Just half-hour back, I received it from the courier. Hats off to amazon.com for delivering it within one week from ordering.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc02319.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc02323.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc02325.jpg

Immediately after its receipt, I tested the tyre pressure gauge on the front right wheel of my XUV500. It displayed 34.5 psi as against 32 psi shown by Mahindra Blue Sense App. I will do more such comparison to know the margin of error.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc02327.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-screenshot_20140415170321.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Many many happy returns of the day to your Blue Bird.
Thanks a lot for the compliments and new year wishes, Majumdarda. I wish you and your Amun-Ra, a happy new year and many more lakhs of miles of riding with smiles.

Old 16th April 2014, 17:51   #448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Perfect birthday present to my Blue Bird with the perfect timing!
Congrats Ravi Sir for completing the 1st year anniversary on your blue bird. Wishing you both loads of miles with smiles. Regarding the Leh trip do you plan to ride from Bangalore/Chennai or ship it to Dilli/Chandigarh and start from there?
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2014, 07:28   #449
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Wishing you both loads of miles with smiles.
Thanks, MK.

Quote:
Regarding the Leh trip do you plan to ride from Bangalore/Chennai or ship it to Dilli/Chandigarh and start from there?
My second Leh expedition is still in planning stage. I plan to do it in this September. If I ride on my Blue Bird, it will be a solo ride on this route: Delhi>Srinagar>Leh>Khardungla>Nubra>Leh>PangongTso >Leh>Srinagar>Delhi. Chennai>Delhi [H Nizamuddin]>Chennai will be done in Duronto/Rajdhani Express. If I drive on my XUV500, my wife will accompany me. But, I don't know, who will overtake whom! In both the cases, I will avoid Leh>Manali route as I had driven on this treacherous stretch once.
  (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 06:07   #450
J.Ravi

Me and Blue Bird are reunited at 4:10 am today. After unloading and photographing the multi-information display of my XUV500, I tried electric-starting Blue Bird, but in vain. The battery icon started flashing on the instrument cluster. As expected, Blue Bird did not start after hibernating for more than a month. After 3 unsuccessful trials, Blue Bird started moaning. I had a wash and refreshed myself. Then, I kick-started Blue Bird with choke. She tried to roar, but changed her mind. The second kick brought her chirping back, which was music to my ears. Then, I rode on Blue Bird for a spin on Dr Radhakrishnan Road in the early hours of the day so that she would become fully charged. Later, I electric-started twice successfully. Now, there is no battery icon flashing.
  (1) Thanks

Most Viewed