Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2014, 18:44   #496
J.Ravi

Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Inspired with this and few others on the forum I Bought a thunderbird 500 for myself. I got it delivered yesterday!
Congratulations and best wishes, abirnale. I wish you infinite miles with smiles on your bird.

Quote:
The gear indicator is too hard to notice in bright sunlight
Yes, it is too dim to draw rider's attention. But, out of practice, I don't have to watch out for the neutral indicator as I could 'feel' when the bird comes to neutral.
  (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 20:33   #497
J.Ravi

My Blue Bird begins her hibernation now and will remain separated from me for few weeks. But, as usual, I will take Blue Bird for yet another mega long ride, when we reunite.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc02561.jpg
  (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 12:43   #498
Senior - BHPian

Chief, Finally laid my hands on a Cigarette Charger along with a USB Socket. The only pain is need to find some time in the weekend schedule to get it fitted or myself to fit it.
Shall keep you posted on how it works. Recently fitted the Via Tera Seaty and must say it is a very practical solution for short rides and is game for a simple over-nighter as well.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 13:43   #499
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Recently fitted the Via Tera Seaty and must say it is a very practical solution for short rides and is game for a simple over-nighter as well.
Thanks a lot, MK. I am toying with the idea of buying one for my bird.

Old 22nd July 2014, 16:25   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Recently fitted the Via Tera Seaty and must say it is a very practical solution for short rides and is game for a simple over-nighter as well.
Hadn't heard of the Seaty until you mentioned it on this thread. Looks like a very practical product.
Checked it out on the ViaTerra site. I thought it looked like it might slide to one side though. Hows your experience with it.
Old 22nd July 2014, 17:45   #501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Hows your experience with it.
It has been fantastic so far, there have been no instances where it has slided over to one side causing an imbalance. The only down side to it, is its inability to handle water protection. But we can overcome by keeping the stuff in a plastic cover. Easily accessible and depends on your packing skills as well.
It has served me pretty well for a 2 nighter ride as well. Off course I travel light but I ensure that I change my clothes every day including a pair of floater
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 13:21   #502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Hadn't heard of the Seaty until you mentioned it on this thread. Looks like a very practical product.
Checked it out on the ViaTerra site. I thought it looked like it might slide to one side though. Hows your experience with it.
@slicvic : As long as you strap it tight under the seat, no chance of sliding. When loaded, use the compression straps to keep things in place otherwise you might find it sliding to one side.

Quote:
It has been fantastic so far, there have been no instances where it has slided over to one side causing an imbalance. The only down side to it, is its inability to handle water protection. But we can overcome by keeping the stuff in a plastic cover. Easily accessible and depends on your packing skills as well.
It has served me pretty well for a 2 nighter ride as well. Off course I travel light but I ensure that I change my clothes every day including a pair of floater
i've carried 2 family packs of biryani inside it . Nice to see it serving you well.
nosfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 12:56   #503
Senior - BHPian

Its a very handy stuff and within budget. I understand that the pillion seat for tbts is removable and therefore its easy to fit and remove. But will it fit under the standard's seat too. Yes, i know i have to remove the entire seat, but thats just 4 screws, not that difficult. But if I purchase one, will it serve the same purpose as it does for you all or is it only suitable for the Thunderbirds?

Please advise.
Old 28th July 2014, 17:46   #504
BHPian

Its been whirlwind on getting my Thunderbird 350 from Navi Mumbai dealer. My bike arrived on 18th July and payment was also made the same day via cheque that got realised on 21st. Today its 28th and am still waiting for registration formalities to get completed before I bring the bike home. Up north we get our bikes delivered with "Applied For" written over number plate but guess thats not allowed here in Mumbai/Navi Mumbai and hence not taking delivery of the bike. Tomorrow is again a public holiday and hence most likely regn number will come on Wday, 30th July. What a waste of extended weekend :-/

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 29th July 2014, 16:55   #505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus_Deft View Post
My bike arrived on 18th July and payment was also made the same day via cheque that got realised on 21st. Today its 28th and am still waiting for registration formalities to get completed before I bring the bike home. ..... Tomorrow is again a public holiday and hence most likely regn number will come on Wday, 30th July. What a waste of extended weekend :-/
Yes, that happens. Especially when you are super excited to see the bike in your garage, the delays happen. In my case it took almost 7 days to get the bike keys in my hand to ride myself. RE has this "new practice" of not letting bikes out of showroom without the registration formalities done. At the max they will give you bike a day in advance when the number is pending but all other formalities like tax payment etc is done. That was exactly the case for me. I got number next day of delivery but on the day of delivery, they gave all papers - invoice, tax receipt, insurance cover note and bunch of manuals.

For me, they had kept my bike in showroom for display for almost 4 days where any prospective buyer would come, sit, try few poses on camera and go home! Felt sad, but can't help!

Patience my dear The beauty will be with you tomorrow for sure!
Old 29th July 2014, 17:00   #506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Yes, that happens. Especially when you are super excited to see the bike in your garage, the delays happen. In my case it took almost 7 days to get the bike keys in my hand to ride myself. RE has this "new practice" of not letting bikes out of showroom without the registration formalities done. At the max they will give you bike a day in advance when the number is pending but all other formalities like tax payment etc is done. That was exactly the case for me. I got number next day of delivery but on the day of delivery, they gave all papers - invoice, tax receipt, insurance cover note and bunch of manuals.

For me, they had kept my bike in showroom for display for almost 4 days where any prospective buyer would come, sit, try few poses on camera and go home! Felt sad, but can't help!

Patience my dear The beauty will be with you tomorrow for sure!

Oh yes. This chap was ready to give me bike 4 days back only and I refused to take without registration. Too much of self moral policing I do I guess. :-/. Anyways the guy called today also if I want to drive the bike around and he can arrange for delivery but I told him that I'd wait for another day. :-)). Tomorrow it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Icarus_Deft is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 18:17   #507
J.Ravi

Shivanasamudra Falls

Today, I solo-rode to Shivanasamudra Falls on my son's Classic 500. I left at 6:10 am from my Basaveswara Nagar home via Jayanagar. I took Kanakapura/Malavalli route for the up journey and Maddur/Channapatna/Ramanagara route for the return journey.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-odometerreadings.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-routemap.jpg

I had sumptuous and tasty breakfast comprising 1 masala dosa [₹ 24], 2 idlies [₹ 14] and coffee [₹ 10] at Vasu Hotel, Kanakapura: self-service, no luxury tax, no VAT and no tips.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-vasuhotel.jpg

With full of energy, I rode to Shivanasamudra Falls [Gaganachukki] after crossing Malavalli on nice NH 209.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-nh209.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc_0041.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc_0047.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc_0057.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc_0059.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc_0066.jpg

Later, I rode to Bharachukki, where I paid ₹ 10 for parking charges collected by Karnataka Forest Department. On the way, I spent some time in clicking some nice photographs of an disused old stone bridge known as Lushington Bridge, which 'acted' in many Kannada and Tamil movies.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc_0069.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc_0074.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc_0075.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc_0079.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc_0081.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc_0088.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc_0091.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc_0093.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc_0096.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc_0102.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-steps.jpg

Mission accomplished, I rode back home via Mysore-Bangalore SH 17 and reached home at 1:20 pm in time for lunch.
  (9) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 09:26   #508
BHPian

Two thumbs up to you, sir! I've been following your thread on your adventures with your TB500 and it inspired me to think about changing my booking from the CL350 to the TB350.

But here's a question I'd like to pose to you: Could you give me your mileage figures within city commuting and highways for your TB500? I've read that 27-30 kmpl in the city and 32-35 kmpl on highway are the averages.

I'm itching to upgrade my booking to a TB500...Hope you'll be able to shed some light on this matter. Thank You!
rideon74 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 11:43   #509
J.Ravi

First of all, congratulations and best wishes, rideon74.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon74 View Post
Could you give me your mileage figures within city commuting and highways for your TB500?
My Thunderbird 500 consumes about 28 kmpl in city and 32 kmpl on highways as per odometer distances. But, considering the odometer's +6% error, it translates into 26 and 30 kmpl respectively.

Quote:
I'm itching to upgrade my booking to a TB500...Hope you'll be able to shed some light on this matter.
For city commuting, 350 CC is more than sufficient. For city commuting + highways, 500 CC is definitely a better option.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 1st August 2014 at 11:54.
  (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2014, 07:58   #510
BHPian

Thank you very much for the info. I did a shared ride to Ooty yesterday on a friend's TB350 - that's about a 180km trip. Both of us are in 75-80kg body weight category. I'm quite surprised. The bird didn't strain at all during the ride on the plains (max. speeds 85-90 kmph maintained) and neither up the ghats.

Mileage-wise, the figures we managed on the ride was approx. 35-38 kmpl (for 40% of the ride, we were on ghat roads). The handling is superb. Even with a pillion, I just loved banking her on the hairpin bends, whenever possible. Braking was decent I'd say - if you're not going to hug bumpers.

We both were not really speed freaks, the 80-90 kmph bracket was settled down to for most part of the ride (lost within our thoughts) & the torque-burst riding hardly lasted for about 15 mins or so, whenever the urge got to us.

I must say that engine strain was one point that kept me wondering if a 500cc would be the only option if long touring is to be planned for...But 350cc is quite fine, actually. I really don't know how she'd perform for longer distances, but then, correct me if I'm wrong: wouldn't one take a tiny stretch-break every 100km at least? Wouldn't the 350cc do a decent job handling distances then?

No doubt, the 500cc is the choice for long-touring but I really need the extra km in the city, so hence such pondering...

Well, sir, thank you for your inputs. Much appreciate it. My heart sinks at thought of the six month waiting period ahead till I get my own bird - sigh!

But I guess, it'll be worth the wait. Thanks again & ride safe!
rideon74 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed