Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2014, 09:14   #511
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries

Rideon 74, the TBTS 350 is a very capable product even for long rides. You will only feel the difference when you are in a group . The 350 riders will have to be ride hard to keep up with the 500 riders in such a situation especially on high speed runs over long distances.
rajneeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2014, 09:30   #512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Rideon 74, the TBTS 350 is a very capable product even for long rides. You will only feel the difference when you are in a group . The 350 riders will have to be ride hard to keep up with the 500 riders in such a situation especially on high speed runs over long distances.
Point noted well, Rajneesh. The extra 150cc sure will find the 500cc owners thumping away happily at high speed runs. True. My scene is that after years of just 4-wheeling it to my business, I'd like to use the TB for daily rides to the office often too. I'll be running at 25-30km per day easily whenever it's going to be the bird to the office.

That's why there's the extra mileage vs. extra HP calculation going on in my head. 10 kmpl extra in the city is not quite a small difference to ignore. Well, I still have about a week or so to upgrade my booking. It's going be a hard call. The proverbial 'Heart vs. Head' battle again... :P
Old 3rd August 2014, 07:17   #513
Senior - BHPian

Well,

One way to look at it is this. If you have been driving cars, the mileage of this bike should not bother you. The most efficient car gives 16-18 KPL. The TBTS 500 will easlily return 26kpl+ in city and around 30kpl ion highways ( even more if you stick to speeds of 80-90 kph).

However if you were a college student or someone in this first job the extra 10 kpl would matter. If you clock 1200 KM / month the 500 would require 46 litres and the 350 would require 34 litres. 12 litres is less than Rs 1000 per month. There is a difference in the price as well.

In my case 26 Kpl was not a problem.

If you are going for a bike at 40 years of age then in my book you are looking for something more than a means of transport.

Dil ki awaaz suno.

Last edited by rajneeesh : 3rd August 2014 at 07:22.
rajneeesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 09:00   #514
Distinguished - BHPian

That is rightly said about mileage there! Its very much dependent on the driving style and so is subjective. In my case, by TB500 gives 30KMPL with all kind of driving combinations. I use it daily for office commute. Since I bought it 5 weeks ago, my SX4 hasn't been out of garage except sunday. And I have started noticing the difference - I have made at least two trips less to the petrol pump!

And about comparison with power that is available with 500, you will sure enjoy it. Don't worry about not been able to ride fast - it's not very practical to ride beyond 100 continuously anyway. And I am really not sure if 350 vs 500 really makes so much difference in this scenario.

My recommendation is to listen to your heart and not head Thats how I bought my bird!

Last edited by abirnale : 3rd August 2014 at 09:05.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 11:59   #515
BHPian

Why I'm smiling is that I just checked the forum now and read the advice given by rajneeesh & abirnale about listening to my heart.

I did.

Just about 45 minutes earlier, before I read your posts, I set out to work and I took an impulsive right turn at the signal next to house, did a quick turn further up, parked, walked into the Enfield showroom and changed the booking to the TB500.

Two of the points that both of you mentioned were exactly the reasons to do so: firstly: a 10-12 kmpl mileage difference is seriously no big deal in my case (with a Scorpio & Punto in the garage, I was like: give yourself a break!) and secondly: you only live once. I'm 40 now - like rajneeesh guessed correctly - if not now, then when?

I feel good. Actually, great is the word. No more doubts whatsoever. Thank you, Rajneeesh & Abirnale, for sound advice. Much appreciated.

Now, comes the final part of boys being boys: I've got to break the news to Mrs.!

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP

Mod Note : Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Stratos : 4th August 2014 at 12:43.
Old 3rd August 2014, 13:20   #516
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the club Rideon 74. BTW I did not guess your age. looking at your handle I had a hunch and followed it by checking your profile.

The TBTS 500 has a comfortable seat. I too broke the news to my wife after I had booked my bull and for quiet some time she thought I was pulling her leg. My sister on the other hand said it is a sign of mid life crisis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
That is rightly said about mileage there! Its very much dependent on the driving style and so is subjective. In my case, by TB500 gives 30KMPL with all kind of driving combinations. I use it daily for office commute. Since I bought it 5 weeks ago, my SX4 hasn't been out of garage except sunday. And I have started noticing the difference - I have made at least two trips less to the petrol pump!

And about comparison with power that is available with 500, you will sure enjoy it. Don't worry about not been able to ride fast - it's not very practical to ride beyond 100 continuously anyway. And I am really not sure if 350 vs 500 really makes so much difference in this scenario.

My recommendation is to listen to your heart and not head Thats how I bought my bird!
Well Abirnale, you are being unjust to the SX4 . I would like to use my TB more, but Noida to Airport is quiet a distance and the climate here is extreme. Moreover, I would have to change into formals when I reach office, so my riding to work is restricted to Fridays when I don my denims.

Bangalore has better weather and the traffic there makes it ore conducive to biking.

Last edited by moralfibre : 4th August 2014 at 13:53. Reason: Back to back posts.
rajneeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 12:44   #517
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Well Abirnale, you are being unjust to the SX4 . I would like to use my TB more, but Noida to Airport is quiet a distance and the climate here is extreme. Moreover, I would have to change into formals when I reach office, so my riding to work is restricted to Fridays when I don my denims.

Bangalore has better weather and the traffic there makes it ore conducive to biking.
Ah.. not really. The SX4 is truely a HivayKing now It rests through out the week and then growls on highways over weekend.

With extra formal footwear in the office and liberty to wear casuals for work, there is something really to cherish about IT job I am in Yeah, Bangalore is such a great weather city to live in.
Old 4th August 2014, 18:17   #518
J.Ravi

Remastered print of an old photograph.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-1.jpg
  (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 07:47   #519
BHPian

She shines brilliantly! I must say that your thread has been invaluable to myself and probably hundreds of others in this forum who've had queries about life with a TB500. Thanks again, sir!
rideon74 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 22:29   #520
BHPian

Hello Ravi sir hope you're doing good and not missing BlueBird much! Have a question for you since you serviced your bike not with the dealer last. How was your experience with Jaff? The dealer where I give mine is now saying it will take 2-3 days for normal service too due to increased flow of bikes. I dont want to give the bike away for more than a day. Besides I would also get to see the bike getting serviced in front of me for any issues if I get it done outside. Please let me know!
SuperSlick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 08:31   #521
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSlick View Post
Hello Ravi sir hope you're doing good and not missing BlueBird much!
Thanks, SuperSlick. The good news is that I am going to be reunited with my bird in a few days time!

Quote:
How was your experience with Jaff?
I am fully satisfied with the last service of my bird by Jaf. If you are prepared to wait for a couple of hours, then you can get the servicing done in your presence; but, be there by 10 am. But, washing is to be got done by yourself separately at a different nearby place called Sterling Water Service prior to servicing. Similarly, the electrical works are attended by another electrician, Taj. I find the team friendly and trust-worthy. Mr Jafar Ali is a well-experienced gentleman, who can be contacted at his mobile number mentioned on the sign board [94443 87636].

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc_0039.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon74 View Post
She shines brilliantly!
Thanks a lot for the appreciation and compliments, rideon74.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 6th August 2014 at 08:33.
  (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 10:28   #522
BHPian

Thanks a lot for details sir! Perhaps we could try to meet once you're back! I'll PM you my number! :-)
SuperSlick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2014, 07:20   #523
BHPian

Ravi sir, I saw this pic on the net and instantly thought of your style of planning a trip!
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-re-pic.jpg  

rideon74 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 05:43   #524
J.Ravi

I am reunited with Blue Bird at 4 am today. Blue Bird electric-started at the very first cranking after remaining in hibernation for more than a month. At 4:30 am, I took my bird for a solo-ride to Marina beach and back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon74 View Post
Ravi sir, I saw this pic on the net and instantly thought of your style of planning a trip!
Nice photograph. Thanks for the kind words, rideon74.
  (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 23:06   #525
BHPian

Great that you are reunited. Any plans for an Independence Day ride.

Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP
Lemon is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed