Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2014, 07:09   #571
J.Ravi

Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaikhmimran View Post
Ravi Sir, I wanted to know how your map my india is working with the solar charger set up. How long does it last?
I use the MMI navigator with solar charger during my mega rides. The solar charger is very useful on a sunny day, when it is not raining. I haven't used it since a long time.

Quote:
Does the solar charger gets charged during use as well?
Yes.

Quote:
Any issues?
No issues so far.

Quote:
Please post pics of the set up if possible.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 8th December 2014 at 07:17.
  (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 22:15   #572
BHPian

Thank you Sir. Can you please share the model & cost of MMI device ? Lastly, the price & details of the holder. It looks very nice but does it hold firmly when the bike vibrates in operation ?
Old 9th December 2014, 07:44   #573
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaikhmimran View Post
Can you please share the model & cost of MMI device ?
Mine is 5-year old MapMyIndia Lx130, which is no more available. For the latest products and prices, visit here.

Quote:
the price & details of the holder.
₹ 601.49. The details are here.

Quote:
does it hold firmly when the bike vibrates in operation ?
Yes.
  (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 13:30   #574
BHPian

Hi, Firstly, Kudos to Mr Ravi's passion for travel and motorbiking

I own a TBTS 500 and I'm contemplating to replace the stock exhaust pipe to get a more pronounced thump. I don't prefer the louder ones, i just want the one that sounds like a bullet - stock TBTS doesn't. Can someone recommend a brand/model ?

thanks much....
nemo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 14:32   #575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
Hi, Firstly, Kudos to Mr Ravi's passion for travel and motorbiking

I own a TBTS 500 and I'm contemplating to replace the stock exhaust pipe to get a more pronounced thump. I don't prefer the louder ones, i just want the one that sounds like a bullet - stock TBTS doesn't. Can someone recommend a brand/model ?

thanks much....
You can go in for the RE shortbottle exhaust or the ones made by red rooster performance or Indimotard .
Old 15th December 2014, 00:00   #576
BHPian

Thanks Rakesh, would you have an idea of an appropriate cost for each of these brands.
Old 15th December 2014, 09:04   #577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
Thanks Rakesh, would you have an idea of an appropriate cost for each of these brands.
RE short bottle should set you back by close to 1.5 to 2.5K, Indimotard close to 4k and the most expensive RRP exhaust by a whopping 8k .
Old 15th December 2014, 14:41   #578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
RE short bottle should set you back by close to 1.5 to 2.5K, Indimotard close to 4k and the most expensive RRP exhaust by a whopping 8k .
Think IndiMotard Thumpest is close to 8k, if am not wrong. Will check with them this week and revert with exact price.
Old 15th December 2014, 20:05   #579
BHPian

Okay, i visited their garage this evening and took pictures of the exhausts, along with data sheet.

Rakesh was right (i was wrong) with the pricing, its Rs.3750 plus charges. There are two designs to choose from, upswept and normal exhaust depending on your taste and preference. am planning to get it fixed tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-indimotard-ghc-thumper-dyno-chart.jpg  

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-img_1095.jpg  

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-img_1097.jpg  

vrajaram is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 09:32   #580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrajaram View Post
Okay, i visited their garage this evening and took pictures of the exhausts, along with data sheet.

Rakesh was right (i was wrong) with the pricing, its Rs.3750 plus charges. There are two designs to choose from, upswept and normal exhaust depending on your taste and preference. am planning to get it fixed tomorrow.
THanks for the clarificaion . Which one are you planning to go for? Do post in the pics with your initial reviews .
Old 17th December 2014, 20:50   #581
BHPian

Folks, where is this available in Bangalore ?
Old 2nd March 2015, 10:04   #582
J.Ravi

Blue Bird and self were reunited today at 3:45 am after more than a month and half. I tried in vain to self-start her. The battery icon started flashing on the instrument panel indicating weak battery. Then, I gently kick-started her. Blue Bird started chirping happily in the very first kick.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc04615.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc04616.jpg

Before taking my bird out for a spin, I wanted to change the rear registration number plate bearing IND and a hologram as Tamil Nadu cops started catching vehicles sporting the IND number plates. I had kept the stock OE number plate provided by the dealer at the time of delivery. The Allen key set bought from amazon.co.uk - costing GBP 36.27 [₹ 3,589.56], ordered on 6 Feb 2015 and delivered within 2 weeks - helped. I replaced the IND plate with the stock OE one and went for a spin in Marina beach at 4:30 am, after which the battery icon stopped flashing.

Incoming rear number plate:

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc04617.jpg

Outgoing rear number plate:

The front number plate is the stock OE one right from the beginning as I did not want to drill fresh holes on the existing registration number plate for holding the IND number plate.

Old 3rd March 2015, 17:07   #583
J.Ravi

12V/5V Charger For Blue Bird

When a TVS Scooty Streak - costing less than the half the cost of Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 - can have a stock OE 12 V charger, it's an unpardonable sin committed by Royal Enfield in not providing that in a premium cruiser Thunderbird 500.

At last, Blue Bird gets a 12V/5V charger costing ₹652.24 from AliExpress including shipping. I ordered it on 29 Dec 2014 and received it within 2 weeks. Today morning, I rode on Blue Bird to Taj, the electrician at Pudupet. Blue Bird was the second in queue. When its turn came, I explained my requirements to Taj: one, it should be easily removable by me without disturbing the fuse-carrier and wiring, and two, the circuit should be through the ignition switch, so that the charger will work only when the ignition is switched on. Taj went on his motorcycle and came back with a plastic adopter. He introduced this additional adopter with necessary wiring to the base of the charger and connected the supplied wires through the fuse-carrier to the mains coming out from the battery. He did not use the connectors that were supplied, saying if they were directly connected to the battery, there was a possibility that some mechanics might forget to connect them during subsequent servicing! Nice idea. All the wires were neatly inserted inside sleeves and used ties to securely tie them wherever necessary. I took my digital voltmeter with me. He checked the battery's condition through the charger, first with my voltmeter, and then, with his analog voltmeter. The voltages were 12.x V when the ignition switch was on before starting the engine and 14.x V when the engine was revved to about 3 k rpm in both the voltmeters. I paid ₹ 150 to Taj, all inclusive, and thanked him for his excellent work. Half-day, well-spent. Now, I can carry, charge and use my navigator, phone and camera during my mega rides.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-charger.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc_0001.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc04619.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc04620.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc04627.jpg
  (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2015, 12:45   #584
Senior - BHPian

Re: 12V/5V Charger For Blue Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
When a TVS Scooty Streak - costing less than the half the cost of Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 - can have a stock OE 12 V charger, it's an unpardonable sin committed by Royal Enfield in not providing that in a premium cruiser Thunderbird 500.
Chief,

Appears to be a very good practical fitment for your cruiser
Thought you would be fitting this by yourself. Does this come with a jump starter kit? The one that I have came with a jump starter which is quite practical.

Voltmeter looks good and I have ordered one for myself taking a cue from you.

Any other upgrade plans?
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2015, 13:13   #585
BHPian

Ravi Sir , its good to see you back in action and thank you for sharing a very important & sorely missed item on your ride.
Request you to post more pics of the adopter, wiring etc. It will help me get it done locally. Thank you.
shaikhmimran is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed