Team-BHP - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/135505-royal-enfield-thunderbird-500-my-motorcycle-diaries-4.html)

Can we change the Thunderbird 500 to the standard short bottle silencer - the one which came with the original bullet ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by djavalkar (Post 3111380)
Can we change the Thunderbird 500 to the standard short bottle silencer - the one which came with the original bullet ?

You can do the same, like in case of C500s, but you need to make sure that it is done by some person apt at this, otherwise the bike would misfire, & it would just spoil the fun from thump.

Quote:

Originally Posted by djavalkar (Post 3111380)

I think the new Thunderbird has one single assembly from engine till the tail as opposed to CL. In CL the bend pipe and silencers are 2 different parts.

Experts, please correct me if im wrong.

Yesterday, I rode on my son's Classic 500 Black to the manufacturer of embossed smart registration number plates near HAL Airport Road and got a pair for my Blue Bird costing Name:  rupeesymbol.gif
Views: 17697
Size:  578 Bytes450 with a set of 4 anti-theft screws. The manufacturing unit's address is 800/34A, 1st floor, Portion B, Annayya Reddy Garden, Konena Agrahara, HAL, Bangalore - 560 017 [near Family Mart, behind the defunct Rajeshwari theatre]. Their telephone number is 080-88920107. Last year, I bought a pair for my son's Classic 500 Black from them at the same price! :) I will fix them on my Blue Bird by next week, when I visit Chennai. While returning home, I visited Sandhya Auto Spares, JC Road and bought a spare 1 litre engine oil and clutch cable plus 3M chain cleaner and chain lube spray.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-embossedplates1.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-embossedplates2.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc09535.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc09537.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc09538.jpg

Sir, first congratulations! and an amazing post, you are an inspiration to a lot of us. Age and time have nothing to do with passion.ride on!

Dear Ravi,

Congrats on your new TB500. Its a great machine. I have got a chance to do a short test drive on TB luckily and I find it great. Its comfortable ergonomics-wise and easy to drive around. And I think you should worry much about what others think. Keep driving safely.

Congrats once again.

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by bharat.joshi (Post 3107253)
Nice to know about a T-bhpian who owns both a RE TB500 and Bullet Classic 500.
Since you have experience with both the motorcycles may I ask which one would be a better motorcycle to buy?

Hi Bharat,

TB is a really nice bike and you may want it if you are a frequent tourer. But if you ask me, I always love the standard bullet ( with gear on the right ). There is nothing like driving that thing around. It's rightly called the king of the roads. I don't think any of these new generation RE's, they don't do justice to the standard bullet. That's just my opinion.stupid:

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by voyageur (Post 3113242)
But if you ask me, I always love the standard bullet ( with gear on the right ). There is nothing like driving that thing around. It's rightly called the king of the roads. I don't think any of these new generation RE's, they don't do justice to the standard bullet.

Dear voyageur.

You are not alone in your opinion. I too have found the right side gear shift Bullets to be very different motorcycles than the current generation. Whether the new bikes are better or worse is a debate i never like to get into because i am of the opinion that every generation of motorcycles brings something new to the world.

The new Royal Enfield bikes are not only more fuel efficient than the previous generation but have more advanced technologies which have made them more environmentally friendly, safer to ride on the road and a lot more comfortable. Granted that these bikes may not have the same pedigree as the enfields from the previous decades but then even in human beings the younger generation is never the same as the grand parents were.:)

Since i am likely to take my first steps into the Royal Enfield club and so will my wife (who is also a huge motorcycle fan thanks to me) the Thunderbird 500 seemed to be a good bike to initiate with. And J.Ravi's thread was the most honest and 'from the heart' article i read about the bike on T-bhp and has been a great motivator in taking a more serious step into the club.

Personally, i would have to admit that my family is more of a Honda fan. My father has been using a Honda City which will celebrate it's 15th birthday in September this year and my brother has used a Hero Honda Karizma for i think 8 years now. My wife and i have also had a wonderful time during our college days on a Honda Unicorn. But as they say, some things you just have to experience once in life.

That is just my opinion. stupid:

Cheers to you too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bharat.joshi (Post 3113305)
Dear voyageur.

You are not alone in your opinion. I too have found the right side gear shift Bullets to be very different motorcycles than the current generation. Whether the new bikes are better or worse is a debate i never like to get into because i am of the opinion that every generation of motorcycles brings something new to the world.

The new Royal Enfield bikes are not only more fuel efficient than the previous generation but have more advanced technologies which have made them more environmentally friendly, safer to ride on the road and a lot more comfortable. Granted that these bikes may not have the same pedigree as the enfields from the previous decades but then even in human beings the younger generation is never the same as the grand parents were.:)

Cheers to you too.

I am not in any debate, and really RE has improved a lot with new generation bikes. The cooling system, suspensions etc have seen vast improvements. Its just that I am a die hard fan of standard bullets.:D

TB500 is really a great bike to start with. Wish you a safe ride.:)

Cheers

Hello Sir,

It was fantastic reading your blog and thanks for the detailed info.

I will be picking up my TBTS 500 Twilight soon and wanted some advice on the Crash Guards.

I did go through the Crash Guard Thread but am confused between 2 option.
1. The guard on your Thunderbird
2. The Diamond Shape available with Quality Metals

I am more inclined towards the second but wanted another set of opinion to help narrow down the choice.

Regards,
Jimit

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy_u (Post 3114961)
It was fantastic reading your blog and thanks for the detailed info.

Thank you, Jimmy_u.
Quote:

1. The guard on your Thunderbird
I find it very convenient after using my Blue Bird for 599 km both in the city and highway riding. My footwear did not get obstructed by the crash-guard.
Quote:

2. The Diamond Shape available with Quality Metals
My son's Classic 500 has this. This was my first choice. But, I was forced to select the new design because of shifting of the foot-rest pegs to the front in the new Thunderbirds.
Quote:

I am more inclined towards the second but wanted another set of opinion to help narrow down the choice.
I don't find new Thunderbirds sporting the new crash-guard in Bangalore and Chennai.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.Ravi (Post 3115177)
Thank you, Jimmy_u.

I find it very convenient after using my Blue Bird for 599 km both in the city and highway riding. My footwear did not get obstructed by the crash-guard.

My son's Classic 500 has this. This was my first choice. But, I was forced to select the new design because of shifting of the foot-rest pegs to the front in the new Thunderbirds.

I don't find new Thunderbirds sporting the new crash-guard in Bangalore and Chennai.

Thanks Sir for the quick turnaround on this one.
Can you share the price of the model you installed and also i read on the forums about the pipe's being hollow and not sturdy enough, how is the quality of your guard.

I saw a couple of guards at a local shop here in pune and they were very light to hold , easily lift using 3 fingers in terms of weight.

your thoughts ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy_u (Post 3115184)
Can you share the price of the model you installed

I paid Name:  rupeesymbol.gif
Views: 10149
Size:  578 Bytes850. The same design in powder-coated costName:  rupeesymbol.gif
Views: 10149
Size:  578 Bytes750, but the manufacturer did not recommend that as it would peel off in high temperature.
Quote:

the pipe's being hollow and not sturdy enough
Like all the crash-guards, this one too is made of hollow pipe. I find it heavy and sturdy.
Quote:

how is the quality of your guard.
The quality of chromium-plating and workmanship is good.

Sir, can you share the name of the item you purchased , i see 2 model with similar shapes.

Found your reference in the below thread as well.

http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/help-me/...ird-500-a.html

thanks again

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy_u (Post 3115255)
Sir, can you share the name of the item you purchased , i see 2 model with similar shapes.

I bought it from Quality Metal Industries, Chennai. It is known as new crash-guard for the new Thunderbirds. They have this new crash-guard for the new TB in chromium-plated and powder-coated finishes. I have the same one as shown in the post # 4.