Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2015, 09:47   #676
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries

Sorry to create back to back posts but forgot to mention this. The multiple maps I have installed on my SMPDGPS and the Regular Smartphone in addition to being free also get regular updates from the Google Play store. We can also subscribe to the same as J.Ravi sir has with MMI maps on his smartphone. I am also planning on getting a solar charger or a power bank for those super long rides.

P.S. Mods please merge this post with my previous post.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 31st July 2015 at 09:49.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 18:23   #677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I tried Here too. But, I could not change the default route by inserting via points in my Android smartphone. That's why, I bought Navi Maps costing ₹ 599.99, wherein I could easily change the default route by inserting via points.
Thank you Sir! I was never aware that Heremaps didn't have an option to change the default setting. I have never used it much, so really was not aware of the features and drawbacks. Anyway, I was on the MMI site and it shows that the Navi Maps can be downloaded either on Android or iPhones and not on Window's based mobiles. So, most likely I'll pick up a cheap android phone and then download the Navimaps from the MMI site on to that phone and use it as a dedicated GPS on my rides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Hi I am using what I call a SMPDGPS (Smartphone Dedicated GPS) . I was planning to go for a dedicated GPS from MMI, Garmin, Tom Tom, etc. but instead opted for a Android smartphone with 4.7 inch screen which was much cheaper to procure and has a decent battery life along with being versatile and dynamic. Hope this helps.
Thanks Navin for suggesting this. This is the route I plan on taking. Now all I need to purchase along with my phone will be a mobile phone holder, water proof cover and a 12v charger. Even if I add up the cost of all these things, it would still work out to be cheaper than buying a dedicated GPS device like a Garmin or MMI.
Old 31st July 2015, 20:34   #678
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
So, most likely I'll pick up a cheap android phone and then download the Navimaps from the MMI site on to that phone and use it as a dedicated GPS on my rides.
That's one of the reasons why I bought my Lenovo K3 Note with 5.5" full HD display/Android 5.0 Lollipop/16GB ROM/2GB RAM/13MP primary/5MP selfie camera, costing ₹ 9,999! For me, Android is a must as Mahindra Blue Sense app works in Android only through which I can check FE, tyre pressures and other details of my XUV 500.

Please note that the trial version of Navi Maps is for one week only. You have to buy Pro Guidance version costing ₹ 599.99 for usage beyond the free trial period.
  (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 17:53   #679
BHPian

Quote:
I have been dreaming to own a Royal Enfield since 1970s, when I was a teenager. My dream became a reality on 15 April 2013!
That's a beautiful and passionate love story! You waited for more than three decades to be united with your teenage love. That's really inspiring for all bike lovers. Thanks for sharing your story. It is encouraging to know that RE actually strives to ensure customer satisfaction.

Owning an RE has been my teenage dream as well. My wife made me book one on my 36th birthday on 29th August, 2015. I am promised delivery within 10 days. I hope to get a similar satisfying after sales experience as you did. Fingers crossed!

Last edited by psurelia : 31st August 2015 at 17:55.
psurelia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 21:19   #680
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurelia View Post
That's a beautiful and passionate love story!
Thanks a lot for the compliments and appreciation, psurelia.

Quote:
I am promised delivery within 10 days. I hope to get a similar satisfying after sales experience as you did. Fingers crossed!
Advance congratulations and best wishes.

Old 31st August 2015, 21:22   #681
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the compliments and appreciation, psurelia.
Been following you thread Sir, since its inception and now I too am in the boots of dilemma.

Here is my post regarding the TB500. Do post your valuable comments and suggestions.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3791649
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 22:21   #682
BHPian

Quote:
My wife made me book one on my 36th birthday on 29th August, 2015. I am promised delivery within 10 days. I hope to get a similar satisfying after sales experience as you did. Fingers crossed!
Congrats mate. Me too booked my classic 350 on 28th August 2015. But will get after or near Diwali. How are you getting it early? Did you book the 500?
I really am getting impatient with the 4 months max waiting period sales guy told me.
kanu2k15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 16:17   #683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanu2k15 View Post
Congrats mate. Me too booked my classic 350 on 28th August 2015. But will get after or near Diwali. How are you getting it early? Did you book the 500?
I really am getting impatient with the 4 months max waiting period sales guy told me.
To make you more impatient, the bike has reached the showroom today! I am going to inspect it and make the rest of the payment this evening.

Yes, I booked the TB 500. Luckily, the regional warehouse of RE had just received one piece of the bike of the colour we chose. Therefore, it was just a matter of putting my order as a priority case and shift it from RE warehouse to dealer warehouse. This is the story I was given by the dealer.
Old 1st September 2015, 17:34   #684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
Now all I need to purchase along with my phone will be a mobile phone holder, water proof cover and a 12v charger.
I am also looking out for the exact combination of the above for my TB350. Were you able to finalize this? Please suggest an online option.

Last edited by ampere : 10th September 2015 at 21:46. Reason: Fixed quotes
Old 1st September 2015, 19:31   #685
BHPian

Quote:
To make you more impatient, the bike has reached the showroom today! I am going to inspect it and make the rest of the payment this evening.

Yes, I booked the TB 500. Luckily, the regional warehouse of RE had just received one piece of the bike of the colour we chose. Therefore, it was just a matter of putting my order as a priority case and shift it from RE warehouse to dealer warehouse. This is the story I was given by the dealer.
Lucky you mate . Congrats for your bird.
I need to pull some strings now. Can't wait to get my hands on my classic beauty.
Do post some pics of your beauty.
Old 11th September 2015, 17:42   #686
BHPian

Quote:
Lucky you mate . Congrats for your bird.
I need to pull some strings now. Can't wait to get my hands on my classic beauty.
Do post some pics of your beauty.
Kanu2k15, I got the bird home on the 6th of Sept, I.e. exactly on the 8th day after booking . I am yet to get the registration papers, so cannot take it out except within the neighbourhood.
Old 24th September 2015, 22:16   #687
BHPian

Quote:
Kanu2k15, I got the bird home on the 6th of Sept, I.e. exactly on the 8th day after booking . I am yet to get the registration papers, so cannot take it out except within the neighbourhood.
Ok so News.
I got my Bullet. YAY.

Booked on 28th August, pulled some good strings and got the bullet today. A proud owner of Royal Enfield Classic 350 Ash color.
Sorry don't have good pics right now will click tomorrow and share soon.
Old 27th September 2015, 07:41   #688
BHPian

Quote:
Ok so News.
I got my Bullet. YAY.

Booked on 28th August, pulled some good strings and got the bullet today. A proud owner of Royal Enfield Classic 350 Ash color.
Sorry don't have good pics right now will click tomorrow and share soon.
Congrats kanu2k15! Enjoy your ride and keep thumping.
Old 10th October 2015, 14:08   #689
J.Ravi

Blue Bird Gets Tyre Inflator

Blue Bird was in hibernation for 15 days. When I gently kicked her on 8 Oct 2015 morning, she started chirping happily in the very first kick!

Based on good reviews, I bought ResQTech tyre inflator from amazon.in costing ₹ 999 as I could not use my XUV 500's tyre inflator which has 15A rating and Blue Bird's 12V socket was connected through her ignition system with a maximum current of 5A. ResQTech is directly connected to the battery terminals with a maximum current of 6A. Today, I checked the air pressure and both the wheels needed 2 psi more. So, using ResQTech, I inflated both the wheels to the specified pressures quickly. Nowonwards, ResQTech will accompany Blue Bird in all long rides.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-img_20151010_134002.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-img_20151010_124018.jpg

Last edited by J.Ravi : 10th October 2015 at 14:22.
  (4) Thanks
Old 11th October 2015, 01:41   #690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
So after riding the CBR250RA for 4 years, I ventured into a Royal Enfield showroom at Bandra to test ride their new bikes. Rode the classic and thunderbird. Things I liked about the Thunderbird
Congratulations on your TB 500. If long distance rides is your thing then this is the bike to have. I own one in stone(Matte) black and a classic 500 in black. Got my TB in Jan this year as a replacement of my older TB 350. The bike is a dream to ride.

I've done the usual circuits like Leh, most of Himachal and Rajasthan on my older TB and once on the classic with the first one being on my oldest Electra 350, 2004 built which I sold off with a very heavy heart about four years back. One thing I am sure of, the TB500 is the right bike for the mountains and it sure as hell doesn't disappoint on the highways.
Why I upgraded to 500 from 350 was primarily because the 350 needed quite a lot of clutch and gear management for an uphill ride, especially with a travel load and my 90 kg frame.

Though I am yet to go on my first long ride on my 500 I am sure the bigger engine will make it much easier. Couple of my friends did a Leh trip just this year, all on the new TB500 and they were mighty pleased with the performance.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th October 2015 at 09:46. Reason: Quoted post trimmed. Inconveniences our mobile users. Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks