Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2016, 00:53   #811

Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries

Cheers Sir on chasing n achieving a dream.wish you many more !!

I meanwhile have test ridden DS 500 , TB500 ,CL350 and Electra. Finalised classic 500 series however did not like any color,so the only option left for me is DS or Chrome Graphite/Green. I personally like chrome graphite..yet to see green.

I have been told that maintaining chrome will not be easy will require time n energy of cleaning it daily,which I might not do,because I might not ride daily

DS500 is good, the matt will eventually become glossy but still doesn't looks bad (I have seen old DS in service centre), just that you might get bored of it because it is not a regular color.

My choice is chrome graphite. But at the same time would want to buy a color which would last long; at least 5+ years

Also seen new color squadron blue. Desert storm is any day better then squadron blue

I would not be commuting daily on bike

Will appreciate guidance.

Mod Note: Please avoid typing like... this...

Last edited by ampere : 29th February 2016 at 02:02. Reason: Dotty post
dearindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2016, 22:10   #812
J.Ravi

Riding Golden Quadrilateral: Some Places, Some Incidents

No ride/drive is complete without 'incidents'. Mine was no exception.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc06556.jpg

While riding in AP in the first day [15 Feb 2016], the wind force was so heavy in the morning, it dislodged my phone from the holder and it flew out, but luckily, I took a catch on my left hand, thereby saving my mobile. But, on the second time near Chilakaluripeta, I was not lucky. It flew out as I was going in 100 kmph speed and dropped on the road. Fortunately, there were no vehicles behind me, I came back and retrieved it. Thank god, it did not break; only some scratches on the back side. Immediately, I stopped and called my wife to test whether the phone worked. All the apps also worked. From the next day onwards, I resorted to this jugaad using rubber bands to tie it securely with the holder.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc06563.jpg

On the second day [16 Feb 2016], I lost my pair of sandals kept below the flaps of the saddle bags as I forgot to put on the locking clips. I stopped by at a truck lay-bay for chain cleaning before Bhubaneswar. After the work was done, I kept all the things back in their designated places, but forgot to clip on the lock on the RHS saddle bag. After crossing Bhubaneswar, I heard some flap-slapping sound only to realize that the sandals were gone with the wind!

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc06564.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc06565.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc06569.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc06571.jpg

The power-outlet in my bird has 12V 5A rating, whereas my XUV 500's has a rating of 12V 15A. I have used NaviMaps in my smartphone continuously for more than 24 hours without any issues in my XUV 500. But, I understood the difference practically, while entering Agra on 19 Feb 2016, when suddenly my smartphone went dead. I didn't realize that it was totally discharged. I tried in vain by removing the battery and refitting after 5 minutes. Then, I rode to a nearby dhaba and requested the owner for using their power outlet for a few minutes for which he readily agreed. When I plugged the smartphone into the wall socket, my smartphone got back its life, but all the maps in NaviMaps were gone. It wanted me to download all the maps again! Perhaps, in the confusion, I might have touched factory-reset. But then, how to reach my hotel at east Delhi? Thankfully, I had brought my good old MapMyIndia Lx130 navigator, which had the hotel listed in PoI. So, I removed my smartphone from the holder and fitted MMI Lx130 on it. Even, it suffered from the same issue; after some time, it got switched off due to nil charge. Then, it dawned on me that the charging current is less than the current consumed by my smartphone and MMI Lx130! So, while riding Yamuna Expressway, I switched off MMI Lx130, but plugged it into the power outlet, so that it would get adequate back-up. After exiting Yamuna Expressway, I stopped and switched on MMI Lx130 and it guided me perfectly until I reached my hotel at east Delhi without any issues. As if this confusion is not enough, my family members were constantly calling me from Bangalore and Chennai and they were tensed as I was not reachable. But, I had another back-up phone in case my smartphone becomes 'unsmart'. I called them using my back-up phone and explained the situation I was in. After entering my room, the first thing I did was to plug my smartphone into the power socket!

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc06620.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-img_20160229_200945.jpg

On 24 Feb 2016, while riding near Karad, MH, the RHS LED lamp's China-made base-plate broke and dangled from the crash-guard. Again, the rubber bands came to the rescue. After securing the LED lamp with many rubber bands, I reached Bangalore, and then, Chennai. Today, I rode to Pudupet, Chennai and got it welded and fixed, costing ₹ 40.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc06712.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-img20160226wa0013.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-img20160226wa0014.jpg

Last edited by J.Ravi : 29th February 2016 at 22:17.
  (11) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 07:49   #813
BHPian

The GQ mission is amazing, hats off sir. Couch potatos like me get a new inspiration from enthusiasts like you. Very special thanks for sharing the glimpses of your great journey.
adityadeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 12:56   #814
J.Ravi

Riding Golden Quadrilateral: Some Places, Some Pics

While buying foods in Chennai before my departure, I bought some packets of Marie biscuits and made a blunder of buying two large slabs of Cadbury's Silk fruit and nut chocolate, without realising I would be riding on my Thunderbird 500, fully exposed to the natural elements, unlike driving in my XUV 500 with the comfort of automatic climate control set at 24 deg C. Somewhere near Rajahmundry, AP on the first day evening, when I tried to open a packet of chocolate, I realised it had become a paste, tending towards liquid state. Not wanting to discard it, I carefully opened it and 'drank' the contents! Next morning, I noticed that the other chocolate pack had solidified like a potholed irregular road surface, losing its original shape of slab with grids, thanks to the air-conditioned hotel room at Vizag, which I ate in the morning itself.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc06557.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc06568.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc06578.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc06580.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc06591.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc06599.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc06600.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc06605.jpg

The hot climate in AP and OD made my VIAIR digital tyre pressure gauge's rubber handle sticky, which attracted all the dust, resulting in a dirty rubber handle, which requires a thorough bath.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc06606.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc06613.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc06642.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc06646.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-vss.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-img_20160220_141303_1.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc06660.jpg

I really had a bad time in Agra: my smartphone ran out of charge, all the maps downloaded earlier were lost, the toll receipt for ₹ 175 paid, while entering Yamuna Expressway was also lost somewhere, when I was trying to fix my smartphone, and then, MapMyIndia Lx130, I managed to break an arm of my sunglasses, while removing them with my helmet on, forced to pay ₹ 50 at Jewar toll plaza of Yamuna Expressway again due to my losing the toll receipt - my pleading to check their system for the registration number of my Thunderbird 500 did not help. All these things happened, when my hotel was just a coupla hours away! Due to these multiple confusions, I did not click any pics on Yamuna Expressway, which I had planned earlier.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc06661.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-img_20160220_144015_1.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc06666.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc06694.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc06705.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc06721.jpg

When I was clicking photos at India Gate, a vendor selling sunglasses approached me and I bought a fake Ray-Ban sunglass with rubber arms for just ₹ 100 as I had to ride for another 2,700 km. I have a pair of genuine Ray-Ban sunglasses at Chennai!

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-img_20160222_185802.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc06745.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc06753.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc06758.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc06770.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc06776.jpg

Ride details concluded. Thanks for going through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emperorofindia View Post
Thunderbird 500 : Built like a bullet, rides like a bird.
Well-said, emperorofindia. Thanks a lot for the appreciation and compliments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dearindia View Post
Cheers Sir on chasing n achieving a dream.wish you many more
Thank you so much for the wishes, dearindia. I understand you have selected Desert Storm, which is a nice colour. I wish you all the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adityadeva View Post
The GQ mission is amazing, hats off sir.
Thank you very much for the appreciation and good words, adityadeva. Enjoy and explore your Electra.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 2nd March 2016 at 13:12.
  (15) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 13:50   #815
Senior - BHPian

Hats off Sir! First question I need to ask you is how's your back ! Must have certainly taken a toll. Any special precautions you took to avoid back/butt pain? Any backrest or seat pad?

Cheers...
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 19:51   #816
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Hats off Sir!
Thanks for the appreciation, dkaile. Hope, you are enjoying your Harley Davidson.
Quote:
how's your back
Thankfully, I don't have any back problem. I have ridden many one-day rides of 1,000+ km in the last 2.5 years in preparation for this big, mega ride of 6,353 km!
Quote:
Any special precautions you took to avoid back/butt pain? Any backrest or seat pad?
I take a break of 15 minutes for every 2 hours of ride. During the break, I clean my bird or check engine oil level or lubricate the chain or simply walk around, drink water and continue riding. My Thunderbird's seats are stock without any modification. The OE stock back-rest is provided for the pillion seat only and not for the rider's.
  (9) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 22:39   #817
Senior - BHPian

A dream ride, on a dream bike, pleasantly and successfully completed without much ado! Very inspiring, Kudos!

I have a secret plan to buy a GS 150R cheaply, ready it and go out on a long ride someday! It is one bike this side of 250cc which can accomplish longish rides comfortably. Production has been stopped unfortunately.

A few test rides made me clearly feel the TB or any other Enfield is not my cup of tea!

Congrats once again!
Gansan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 07:07   #818
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
A dream ride, on a dream bike, pleasantly and successfully completed without much ado! Very inspiring, Kudos!
Thanks for the appreciation and good wishes, Gansan.
Quote:
I have a secret plan to buy a GS 150R cheaply, ready it and go out on a long ride someday!
Before Thunderbird 500, I had enjoyed owning a Suzuki Fiero for 10 years. Earlier, I rode Hero Honda CD100 for 15 years, alloted under shareholder's quota, in which the longest ride I did was Bangalore>Mysore>Bangalore in one day with my wife and son!
  (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 13:49   #819
BHPian

Quote:
I have a secret plan to buy a GS 150R cheaply, ready it and go out on a long ride someday! It is one bike this side of 250cc which can accomplish longish rides comfortably. Production has been stopped unfortunately.
I fully agree with you sir. The GS 150 was a great product albeit a poorly marketed one.

MY friend had bought one in 2010 and till date has clocked about 70k kms without any major repairs or problems. Regular servicing, new tyres and brakes.

The riding position is great but I havent come across anyone doing long kms on it.

Great choice though - all the best and cheers !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Before Thunderbird 500, I had enjoyed owning a Suzuki Fiero for 10 years. Earlier, I rode Hero Honda CD100 for 15 years, alloted under shareholder's quota, in which the longest ride I did was Bangalore>Mysore>Bangalore in one day with my wife and son!
So the rider in you was always lively sir and you made a rider in your son too at a very early age

Another dream of mine is riding on a tour with my wife like you did. Hopefully soon !!
The Great is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 14:30   #820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I rode Hero Honda CD100 for 15 years, alloted under shareholder's quota, in which the longest ride I did was Bangalore>Mysore>Bangalore in one day with my wife and son!
That would have been a real saddle sore ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
I The riding position is great but I havent come across anyone doing long kms on it.
Actually there are a few riding experiences on forums, though nothing like Mr. Ravi's GQ ride. A few test rides on it make me feel it will be comfortable for a couple of hours at a stretch.

Last edited by Gansan : 3rd March 2016 at 14:31.
Gansan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 15:00   #821
J.Ravi

Riding Golden Quadrilateral: Flight-Paths

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-bbirdsrides.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
Another dream of mine is riding on a tour with my wife like you did. Hopefully soon !!
Riding pillion is always better than riding solo as you will have company. Many times during the night-riding, I used to sing songs loudly to keep myself alert and attentive and to break the monotony and boredom!

Quote:
That would have been a real saddle sore ride!
Hardly 300 km, to and fro! But, my Chennai>Kanniyakumari>Chennai and Kolkata - Delhi rides are almost equivalent to saddle sore ride, distance-wise, but definitely not time-wise!
  (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 19:28   #822
Senior - BHPian

Ravi sir, that's a terrific trip of yours.

Did you ever feel the necessity to have a windshield to protect you from harsh winds and fatigue?
satish_appasani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 19:52   #823
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
Ravi sir, that's a terrific trip of yours.
Thanks for the appreciation, satish_appasani.

Quote:
Did you ever feel the necessity to have a windshield to protect you from harsh winds and fatigue?
Yes, when my smartphone with my Navi Maps app jumped out of the handlebar holder in high speed and fell on the road, near Chilakaluripeta, AP. Had there been a windshield, it would have remained in its place. I am waiting for the launch of Himalayan, when I will explore the possibility of getting its windshield fixed on my Thunderbird 500. Lemme see.
  (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 20:00   #824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am waiting for the launch of Himalayan, when I will explore the possibility of getting its windshield fixed on my Thunderbird 500. Lemme see.
Will keep following you on that. Got my TB500 two weeks ago and looking at the windshield as an option for long rides.
satish_appasani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 20:07   #825
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
Got my TB500 two weeks ago
Congratulations and best wishes, satish_appasani.
Quote:
and looking at the windshield as an option for long rides.
Kindly post here the details, if you come across any other better alternatives for windshield for Thunderbird. Another advantage is better fuel efficiency.
  (1) Thanks

Most Viewed