Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2013, 20:19   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries

How is the light throw of the projector?
And you can also use 3M scotch tape on tank,for tank bag,as it does not leave any sticky residue when removed,and tank can be laminated as well.
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2013, 20:55   #77
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
How is the light throw of the projector?
The projector is only for low beam, IIRC. For highways, this is not at all sufficient; it is useful only for city riding. The high beam is alright for the highways.
Quote:
you can also use 3M scotch tape on tank,for tank bag.
I will try that. Thanks, akshay4587, for the suggestion.

Old 18th May 2013, 20:57   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
The projector is only for low beam, IIRC. For highways, this is not at all sufficient; it is useful only for city riding. The high beam is alright for the highways.
You can try an old trick to get both bulbs to light up in case you need extra illumination. Hold the beam toggle switch in between the high and low beam position with the headlight on, both bulbs will light up and you will have a combination of low beam projector and high beam halogens.
However I have been told not to do it for longer duration which leads to heating up and burning of the lamps.
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2013, 21:04   #79
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Hold the beam toggle switch in between the high and low beam position with the headlight on, both bulbs will light up and you will have a combination of low beam projector and high beam halogens.
Oh, that's a brilliant suggestion, literally and metaphorically. Thanks, apachelongbow. BTW, my Linea lights up both the beams when switched on to the high beam.
  (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2013, 07:56   #80
J.Ravi

Blue Bird With Her Siblings

My Blue Bird poses here with her elder siblings, Blue Line and Black Bull.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-1.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-2.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-3.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-4.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-5.jpg

Now, my garage is congested.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-6.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-7.jpg
  (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2013, 12:25   #81
J.Ravi

Today, my Blue Bird visited HSR Enterprises, Rajajinagar Industrial Estate, Bangalore, for brake adjustment as I found the rear brake was not biting after vulcanising and refitting the wheel at Krishnagiri during my ride from Chennai to Bangalore. I asked the mechanic to check both the brakes and a general check-up. First, the mechanic went for a test-ride, and later, my bird was taken to the service bay. While I waited at the air-conditioned customer lounge, my bird was attended to for about half-hour. Then, I saw the mechanic going out for the test-ride again. Then, I was asked to do a test-ride, which I did and found the rear brake was okay. The mechanic assured me that my bird was perfectly alright for another long ride! I was not charged for the work.
  (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2013, 17:56   #82
BHPian

Re: My Blue Bird Flies From Chennai To Bangalore

My Blue Bird recorded a fuel efficiency of 28.5 kmpl, calculated by tankful-to-tankful method for highway ride of mostly 80 - 90 kmph.

Hello Sir,

Thanks for updating this post, really helpful, however my concern is the average you are getting for such long drive, how come it is so low.
Jimmy_u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2013, 07:43   #83
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post
how come it is so low.
This is the average FE that one can expect from 500 cc REs. My son also gets it in Bangalore city riding. Perhaps, it will increase marginally after running-in.

Old 21st May 2013, 08:24   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is the average FE that one can expect from 500 cc REs. My son also gets it in Bangalore city riding. Perhaps, it will increase marginally after running-in.
It should be around 30-34kmpl for the 500. Check at what rpm does your TB idle. If the idling is around 1000rpm then it is fine. Also see how is your riding style. If you shift around 2500rpm and mantain about 3500rpm at 90kmph, then it is fine. Btw the bike gives better average if the speed is held steady a shade around 80kmph.
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2013, 08:44   #85
BHPian

Yeah I agree too.. I've been consistently getting 30-32 kmpl, with 80% of my riding being in the city..
28 kmpl is not too low, however. As Mr. Ravi rightly pointed out, the FE will increase marginally and reach 30 kmpl after running, which is good FE. What is shocking is that most C500 owners I've met claim they get only 25 kmpl..
enfield_500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2013, 12:36   #86
BHPian

Ravi Sir, stumbled a little late onto your Bullet Thread - but congratulations!! As I have mentioned before on your Leh Travelogue, I really admire your spirit and not to forget your wife, who seems to be equally enthusiastic in your endeavors. Kudos to both of you and wishing you guys Many Adventurous Miles Ahead.

I feel great pride that you and I both share similar vehicles - I have a 2011 Linea TJet+ and a 2005 350cc Bullet Electra.

This may be off topic - but it was your thread on the Linea helped convince me to go for the Linea and then your thread on the Leh Trip that catalyzed my trip last year from Delhi to Leh on My Bullet.

I can't help but ask you here, maybe you have already considered it, but when are you planning a trip to Leh on your Bullet?
PGNarain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2013, 12:45   #87
J.Ravi

Thanks a lot for the superlative compliments, PGNarain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
when are you planning a trip to Leh on your Bullet?

Old 21st May 2013, 13:00   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the superlative compliments, PGNarain.

Sir, count me in if we can plan well in Advance, I too and looking forward to this Dream ride from quite sometime.

but to let you know I finalized on the Diamond Leg Guard for my bird, cost me 1000 rs at the RE Dealership, they did not have the one you installed.

Also he sold me a metal plate (engine Guard) for avoiding pebbles hitting the crank case from below, cost me 2500 rs, it is a local make and the cost is a little too high however i went for it considering the benefits listed by the re dealer.

my bird is expected sometime in June 2013.
Jimmy_u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2013, 13:05   #89
Senior - BHPian

25-30 kmpl is very decent fuel mileage for a 500 cc single weighing close to a fifth of a ton.

I am not sure why a C5 engine should be less fuel efficient to that of a TB500. Aren't they both the same UCE with the same gearing and EFI and ignition??

My C5 never gave any more than what my std 500 or my LB500 gave on tour - which is approx. 27 kmpl. give or take a kmpl here or there.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2013, 14:11   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
25-30 kmpl is very decent fuel mileage for a 500 cc single weighing close to a fifth of a ton.

I am not sure why a C5 engine should be less fuel efficient to that of a TB500. Aren't they both the same UCE with the same gearing and EFI and ignition??

My C5 never gave any more than what my std 500 or my LB500 gave on tour - which is approx. 27 kmpl. give or take a kmpl here or there.
I was informed by RE rep at the brand show room that some modifications have been done on the ECU to give better mileage on the TBTS 500. While comparing both bikes I could also feel a slight difference in the pick up between C500 & TBTS 500 - C500 had a better acceleration from standstill.
adnaps is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed