Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2013, 21:52   #31
J.Ravi

Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Congrats Ravi and welcome to the club.
Thanks a lot for the wishes and nice words, rajneeesh.
Quote:
It is good to see people following their hearts and not getting swayed by stereotypes when deciding to buy their rides.
I own and enjoy two products of the most-bashed brands in their respective segments!

Old 27th April 2013, 14:45   #32
J.Ravi

More Photographs Of My Bird

Here is a bird's-eye view of my bird:

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-0.jpg

Some more photographs.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-1.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-2.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-3.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-4.jpg

Today, while exploring my TB500, I found out that the cables were secured with the handlebar in a different, better way as compared to my son's Classic 500 Black.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc09501.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc09502.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc09505.jpg

In my son's Classic 500 Black, rubber belts were used to secure the cables with the handlebar to avoid dangling.

This is the latest odometer reading of my bird:

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc09504.jpg

I find the general fit and finish and handling and riding qualities of my Thunderbird 500 are far better than that of my son's 2012 Classic 500 Black.
  (5) Thanks
Old 28th April 2013, 18:05   #33
BHPian

Nice to know about a T-bhpian who owns both a RE TB500 and Bullet Classic 500.
Since you have experience with both the motorcycles may I ask which one would be a better motorcycle to buy?
bharat.joshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 02:17   #34

Congratulations on your TB500 sir. I am also in process of acquiring one.
Few questions though:
1. How much is the reserve capacity?
2. How is the electric starter performance? Did you face any problems?
3. How are the suspensions? I found the rear ones hard in comparison to the older TB.
4. Does the engine heats alot after riding it continuously for more than an hour? Simply asking, how is the heat dissipation?
5. You said the engine oil grade used during first service was 15W50. Is it what RE recommends or default? What would you say about other grades?
6. Does it come with twin horns / single? If yes, hows the loudness?
7. How did you find the new TB500 silencer? Would you recommend changing to the Classic ones? Or its just about sound note?
8. Is instrument cluster backlit always on?
9. During shifting from higher to lower gears, did you encounter any problems? I mean false neutrals or "kar-kar" sound?
10. Can we adjust the projector lamp throw?
11. Does the fuel cap comes out completely or is locked at a position?
and lastly did you find the ground clearance too low? Even with the pillion rider? I mean did you have any moments of scratching the bike's bottom?

Pardon me for asking this much. But, as you've already ridden it for more than 500KMs, i thought your experience will provide better answers and review. Thanks.
gold_heart007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 08:28   #35
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat.joshi View Post
Nice to know about a T-bhpian who owns both a RE TB500 and Bullet Classic 500.
Thanks, bharat.joshi.
Quote:
Since you have experience with both the motorcycles may I ask which one would be a better motorcycle to buy?
Selecting a model depends upon your requirement and budget. If you intend to tour a lot, go for Thunderbird. Otherwise, Classic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold_heart007 View Post
Congratulations on your TB500 sir.
Thank you, gold_heart007.
Quote:
I am also in process of acquiring one.
Advance congratulations. Here, are my responses to your queries:
Quote:
1. How much is the reserve capacity?
Since Thunderbird 500 is electronic fuel injection programmed, there is no reserve capacity, per se, as there is no tap to turn to the reserve. The owner's handbook advises refuelling as soon as possible when the lowest bar starts blinking.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-fuel1.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-fuel2.jpg

Quote:
2. How is the electric starter performance? Did you face any problems?
My Thunderbird 500 and my son's Classic 500 start at the very first cranking by electric start. So far, I haven't faced any problem.
Quote:
3. How are the suspensions? I found the rear ones hard in comparison to the older TB.
The front fork is sturdier than that of Classic 500. The rear ones are adjustable gas-filled. I find them perfectly alright.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-forksuspension.jpg

Quote:
4. Does the engine heats alot after riding it continuously for more than an hour? Simply asking, how is the heat dissipation?
500 cc engines do generate a lot of heat; but, heat dissipation is also faster. I haven't ridden my TB500 for more than an hour due to running-in. Now that the first servicing is completed, I will ride it for longer duration and post my experience in this thread later.
Quote:
5. You said the engine oil grade used during first service was 15W50. Is it what RE recommends or default? What would you say about other grades?
It is company-recommended one. I will stick with the company-recommended one always.
Quote:
6. Does it come with twin horns / single? If yes, hows the loudness?
Thunderbird 500 and Classic 500 have double horns, which are more than adequate. The horns are as loud as that of a premium sedan!
Quote:
7. How did you find the new TB500 silencer? Would you recommend changing to the Classic ones? Or its just about sound note?
My TB500's silencer has a metallic insulator covering on the top. It reduces the loudness to a greater extent while retaining the Royal Enfield trade-mark thump to some extent. Changing the silencer is a personal choice. But, I have no intention of changing my TB500's silencer.
Quote:
8. Is instrument cluster backlit always on?
Yes.
Quote:
9. During shifting from higher to lower gears, did you encounter any problems? I mean false neutrals or "kar-kar" sound?
Before the first servicing, leave alone the false neutrals, I had difficulty in getting the true neutral. By the time I get the true neutral, the signal used to turn to green! This problem was set right in the first service. Now, I get the true neutral easily. I dont get any false neutral anytime in my TB500. Yes, I get false neutrals in my son's Classic 500, but not in my TB500.
Quote:
10. Can we adjust the projector lamp throw?
I think so.
Quote:
11. Does the fuel cap comes out completely or is locked at a position?
The fuel cap comes out loose from the tank, if opened. You have to hold it while filling petrol.
Quote:
and lastly did you find the ground clearance too low? Even with the pillion rider? I mean did you have any moments of scratching the bike's bottom?
My TB500 has 5 mm more ground clearance than my son's Classic 500. So far, I haven't faced any issues even with pillion.
Quote:
Pardon me for asking this much.
Not at all. You are welcome to ask more questions. In fact, I asked more questions before I bought my TB500 and when my son got his Classic 500.
  (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 09:11   #36
Team-BHP Support

This really goes on to say that, there is only one life to live! As long you can wield the sword nothing like it. All the best for many miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Btw, an inane question. What's the FE?
Avi, You ruined the question! It should be :

"Kitna deti hai" ? (with a serious face)

Last edited by ampere : 29th April 2013 at 09:24.
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 09:23   #37
Senior - BHPian

Dear Ravi..Hearty Congratulations for acquiring the TB 500. At your age, owing a RE gives inspiration for younger generation. Needless to say, my next motorcycle to acquire is a Royal Enfield.
hillram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 11:15   #38
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
All the best for many miles!
Thanks a lot for good wishes, ampere.
Quote:
"Kitna deti hai" ?
Not yet measured. I am in Bangalore and my Bird is in Chennai for the next 2 weeks! :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
At your age, owing a RE gives inspiration for younger generation.
Thank you very much for nice words, hillram.
Quote:
Needless to say, my next motorcycle to acquire is a Royal Enfield.
Advance congratulations.

Old 29th April 2013, 11:33   #39
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Ravi on your TB500, that too with CL500 in the stable and an italian beauty resting under the roof. Appreciate your passion for wheels, I respect your age. TB has gone through a great transformation with the 500. Looks great.

Just couple of days back while driving along Kochi, I mistaken TB500 for Harley but then it had a black roaring exhaust. Amazing note and road presence. It didnt feel outside showroom fitment, well set with the black engine unit. Did you see any optional exhausts offered by RE?
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 12:37   #40
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Congrats Ravi on your TB500, that too with CL500 in the stable and an italian beauty resting under the roof.
Thanks lot for your good wishes and nice words, jacs.
Quote:
Did you see any optional exhausts offered by RE?
No. I like the the optimum blend of Royal Enfield thump and reduced roaring noise. So, I don't intend to change the factory-fitted silencer.

Old 29th April 2013, 17:11   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Did you see any optional exhausts offered by RE?
RE offers an upswept exhaust for the Bullets and its priced at Rs.2800. It marginally improves the visual appeal and also the exhuast note.

Nowhere compared to custom jobs that can be done on stock bullet.
Old 29th April 2013, 17:18   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Thanks lot for your good wishes and nice words, jacs.

No. I like the the optimum blend of Royal Enfield thump and reduced roaring noise. So, I don't intend to change the factory-fitted silencer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
RE offers an upswept exhaust for the Bullets and its priced at Rs.2800. It marginally improves the visual appeal and also the exhuast note.

Nowhere compared to custom jobs that can be done on stock bullet.

I got the update that this bike belong to a timber mill guy in Tripunithra. Shall give a shot to take a pic and some details if possible. It was so good in terms of tone and looks. Did not look after-factory fitment.
Old 30th April 2013, 05:12   #43

Quote:
Not at all. You are welcome to ask more questions. In fact, I asked more questions before I bought my TB500 and when my son got his Classic 500.
Thank you so much sir. I really appreciate your response. I'll keep bothering you with more queries per se. Until then ride safe and sound.
gold_heart007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2013, 14:43   #44
J.Ravi

Cramster Jacket For Me & Saddle Bag For My Bird

Today, I visited Cramster at Cunningham Road and bought Breezer jacket and Stallion saddle bag.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc09524.jpg

I shall write about my experience here after using them.

Old 1st May 2013, 15:02   #45
Senior - BHPian

Avi, You ruined the question! It should be :

"Kitna deti hai" ? (with a serious face) [/quote]

Well I have clocked 2350 odd km to date . I have averaged between 28-30 kpl. Mix of city and expressway riding. Generraly ride at 80 kph.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks