Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2014, 12:54   #451
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Me and Blue Bird are reunited at 4:10 am today. After unloading and photographing the multi-information display of my XUV500, I tried electric-starting Blue Bird, but in vain. The battery icon started flashing on the instrument cluster. As expected, Blue Bird did not start after hibernating for more than a month. After 3 unsuccessful trials, Blue Bird started moaning. I had a wash and refreshed myself. Then, I kick-started Blue Bird with choke. She tried to roar, but changed her mind. The second kick brought her chirping back, which was music to my ears. Then, I rode on Blue Bird for a spin on Dr Radhakrishnan Road in the early hours of the day so that she would become fully charged. Later, I electric-started twice successfully. Now, there is no battery icon flashing.
Glad that you're both united! A quick question. The battery make, could you please let me know which make it is? I just had to replace in mine under warranty

Last edited by SuperSlick : 20th April 2014 at 12:55.
SuperSlick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2014, 14:56   #452
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSlick View Post
Glad that you're both united!
Thanks, SuperSlick.

Quote:
The battery make, could you please let me know which make it is?
Mine is also FIAMM brand. But, my Blue Bird was one-year old and in sleep mode for one month before the battery became weak. But, it is out of warranty. Now, Blue Bird is totally normal from the past couple of days. Today also, I electric-started it in the very first crank without any problem. Yes, I saw your post of getting the battery replaced with Exide brand under warranty. My son's Classic 500 is two-year old with Exide battery and without any issues as he rides on it daily. Thanks to the kick-starter, Blue Bird's OE battery's life is now extended!

Last edited by J.Ravi : 20th April 2014 at 15:10.
  (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 18:08   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Mine is also FIAMM brand. But, my Blue Bird was one-year old and in sleep mode for one month before the battery became weak. But, it is out of warranty. Now, Blue Bird is totally normal from the past couple of days. Today also, I electric-started it in the very first crank without any problem. Yes, I saw your post of getting the battery replaced with Exide brand under warranty. My son's Classic 500 is two-year old with Exide battery and without any issues as he rides on it daily. Thanks to the kick-starter, Blue Bird's OE battery's life is now extended!
Well, that's good. In my case, the bike was out of use for just 4 days and I did notice the neutral light a little dim than the usual brightness it has. The bike did start but only for a few seconds before the engine stalled. When I tried to use the ES, nothing happened, no crank nothing..the neutral light went blank too. I tried the kickstarter many times but in vain.

The SA told about the AC/DC stuff and that with Exide battery I could at least kickstart the bike in case the ES fails in future as was the case with the standby battery where I was only kickstarting it.

I must thank in a way that the battery died that day. I think Thor boy did not want me to ride him as I was very angry that day and not in good mood. Perhaps he saved me from hurting myself?
Old 2nd May 2014, 17:54   #454
J.Ravi

Royal Enfield Took My Blue Bird For A Ride

Usually, my Blue Bird takes me for a long mega rides. For a change, Royal Enfield took my Blue Bird for a ride.

It all started with this.

Quote:
I tried electric-starting Blue Bird, but in vain. The battery icon started flashing on the instrument cluster.
I brought this issue of weak battery to the notice of customer care of Royal Enfield with a request to consider replacement of weak Fiamm battery with a new one as a goodwill gesture although the warranty expired just a few days back.

I received a prompt mail from the regional service manager apologizing for the inconvenience caused and assuring me of needful after getting the service history from the service manager of Royal Enfield, OMR, Chennai.

Later, the service manager called me. First, I was assured that the battery would be taken for testing, and in its place, a service battery would be fitted. He assured that with the service battery, I would be able to self-start my bike, for which I agreed, my first mistake. He took my residential address and land marks.

Then, without informing me, one SA and mechanic arrived at my home. I thought that would remove the weak Fiamm battery and fit a service battery. No. They wanted to take my bike to service station for observing and testing as instructed by their service manager. The SA did not know when it would be returned. Again, I agreed. My second mistake.

I had to call the service manager several times to ascertain the status. On the first time, he mentioned that he had kept my bike parked to test whether it retains the charge or not. If it retains, he would return the bike on Friday [today]; otherwise, he would arrange to fit a new battery and deliver it tomorrow [Saturday], 1 May being holiday, for which again, I agreed, my third mistake.

I called him today. He told a me different story. My bike's battery would be charged for 24 hours and then, tested for retaining the charge afterwards. That would be tomorrow. Today, is the fourth day and tomorrow, the fifth day, my bike was enjoying the stay at Royal Enfield, OMR, Chennai. And to add fuel to the fire, when I enquired about the charges, he said I have to pay for charging the battery, which would not covered under good-will. Only replacement of battery would be free, if found faulty. Thank god, he did not charge any rent for the last 4 days of my bike's stay there! When a weak battery is charged for 24 hours, it would definitely retain the charge for a few days or weeks or months, if not years.

Then, I got fed up as I have been without my bike for 4 days already and decided enough is enough. When I requested him to return the bike, he replied that he would be able to do so only tomorrow. If I want delivery today itself, I have to personally go over there and get it. I cursed myself for requesting Royal Enfield to consider replacement of weak battery with a new one as a goodwill although the warranty is expired. I was not told that they would keep my bike for days together in the name of observation, testing and charging. If the week battery needs charging, this could have been done it on the first day itself.

My Blue Bird will be safer and healthier, if it is far away from Royal Enfield ASS.
  (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2014, 18:33   #455
BHPian

Hello Ravi Sir, did you experience the battery light flashing again? It's bad that they're not clear with what they would be doing with the weak battery. They should have brought a standby battery at least and take only the weak battery for testing. Why do they need the full bike?

When I faced the issue, I told them clearly that I cannot bring the bike to the service center and they have send in their service guy to take the dead battery and give a standby for sure. Since mine was still under warranty they didn't charge me for any battery test procedures.

What is the new battery they had agreed to provide you as a replacement (if there is a need)?
Old 2nd May 2014, 20:11   #456
J.Ravi

Quote:
Hello Ravi Sir, did you experience the battery light flashing again?
If I don't use the bike for 2-3 days, the battery icon flashes on the instrument panel. Now, it does not flash. While coming back home, I got the battery tested. The stock battery recorded 12.2 V with the ignition switched on and 14.0 V, when I revved the engine with the headlight on. So, I assume, if my Blue Bird goes for another long mega ride, the battery will get back its full charge!

Quote:
They should have brought a standby battery at least and take only the weak battery for testing.
The service manager mentioned the same in the beginning, but later, changed it for the reason best known to him only.

Quote:
Since mine was still under warranty they didn't charge me for any battery test procedures.
For 4 days, they didn't do any testing apart from 'observing'.

Quote:
What is the new battery they had agreed to provide you as a replacement (if there is a need)?
The service manager said as per warranty rules, whichever battery goes out, the same brand will be fitted back. So, in my case, since Fiamm Wind battery was to be replaced, my bike will get a new battery of the same brand.

Old 6th May 2014, 08:44   #457
BHPian

Planning for a ride to kerala on 24th may.Have to attend a marriage. I will be riding from bangalore to kerala.Any body planning for a ride on same day?

Do anybody have issues with fuel guage?Mine shows faulty reading and some times no reading.
Old 6th May 2014, 08:49   #458
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
Do anybody have issues with fuel guage?Mine shows faulty reading and some times no reading.
The fuel gauge, odometer and the clock are not accurate. Don't depend on them. Always, open the tank and check the fuel availability. The odometer reading has + 6% error.
  (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 10:22   #459
BHPian

Clock is slower by 1 minute every 24 hours.ODO I have not checked. RE never gets technology right.its a pure mechanical bike.Did anybody face chocking at lower rpms,say below 2000?
Old 6th May 2014, 16:51   #460
BHPian

Hi Ravi sir, hope you've got your BlueBird back home! Any updates to share?
Old 6th May 2014, 16:55   #461
J.Ravi

Quote:
Any updates to share?
Since I ride almost daily, Blue Bird is absolutely normal.

Old 7th May 2014, 16:25   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
Clock is slower by 1 minute every 24 hours.ODO I have not checked. RE never gets technology right.its a pure mechanical bike.Did anybody face chocking at lower rpms,say below 2000?
Mate,
Do not think it is a choking issue but more of a flat spot at around 1800 RPM. The only way you can overcome is to ensure that you maintain revs above the mark or below it.
Yes the clocks and Odometer are off the mark, but why would you want to depend on them? Odometer has a good 5% variance when compared with other makes. Bajaj meters also exhibit a similar trait.
Old 11th May 2014, 22:56   #463
BHPian

Finally after lots of internal debates, plunging in the RE community. Will be booking TB 350 tomorrow. Was parallely contemplating if should go for 500 but renegotiating with self on the need. Hope to kick in within next few months.
Old 12th May 2014, 16:32   #464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus_Deft View Post
Was parallely contemplating if should go for 500 but renegotiating with self on the need.
Would be keen to understand in your views on the merits/demerits of the 350 Vis-a-Vis 500.

And yes Congrats on booking the bike
Old 13th May 2014, 00:40   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Great minds think alike! Thanks for the nice words, strike909.

All these mega one-dayers are rehearsals to test my physical fitness and mental alertness before riding to the Himalayas. Let me see when it becomes a reality.
Hello Ravi Sir,
Now the registrations are open for the Himalayan Odyssey 2014, Wishing you all the very best.
raguprasad is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks