Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2014, 07:40   #466
J.Ravi

Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by raguprasad View Post
Now the registrations are open for the Himalayan Odyssey 2014, Wishing you all the very best.
Thanks, raguprasad. I went through the details in Royal Enfield website. My Blue Bird has lost to my Purple Cheetah in the race to Ladakh this year, the main reason being I would be eligible for senior male citizen concession of 40% in the railway tickets to and fro Delhi from the end of this year. So, Blue Bird will have to wait for one more year! Coming to the Himalayan Odyssey 2014, the eligibility criteria include physical fitness test of running 5 km and doing 50 push-ups in 1 hour, which I am sure, I won't be able to pass. So, Himalayan Odyssey is not in my consideration.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 13th May 2014 at 07:43.

Old 13th May 2014, 11:56   #467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Thanks, raguprasad. I went through the details in Royal Enfield website. My Blue Bird has lost to my Purple Cheetah in the race to Ladakh this year, the main reason being I would be eligible for senior male citizen concession of 40% in the railway tickets to and fro Delhi from the end of this year. So, Blue Bird will have to wait for one more year! Coming to the Himalayan Odyssey 2014, the eligibility criteria include physical fitness test of running 5 km and doing 50 push-ups in 1 hour, which I am sure, I won't be able to pass. So, Himalayan Odyssey is not in my consideration.

Dada,

I think that if you are going through the official RE guys, then these restrictions are imposed. Though I am not too sure if indeed it proves any deterrent and only physically fit candidates are considered; but probably you can check out with royal enfield local enthusiasts who goes in smaller groups. For example a few from my group are going from Pune for the Leh-Ladakh. Off-course going with the official RE gang has its own advantages, but I understand that its upto we individuals to make the best use of available resources.

Best regards,

Moreover,the way you go on sudden rides, I am sure that one fine day you will wake up with a determination to complete the Leh-Ladakh too. Just please make sure that its not in an inhospitable climate . Take care dada.
Majumdarda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 20:37   #468
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Just please make sure that its not in an inhospitable climate
My Purple Cheetah will drive to Ladakh in this September and Blue Bird's ride will be in September 2015, tentatively. Thanks, Majumdarda.
  (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2014, 17:41   #469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Coming to the Himalayan Odyssey 2014, the eligibility criteria include physical fitness test of running 5 km and doing 50 push-ups in 1 hour, which I am sure, I won't be able to pass.
Chief,
Suggest you very strongly to complete it this year itself. With Growing age I would strongly recommend you to do it with no further delay. Doing it in the Car is much better and not taxing which can be attempted to at a later time.

Please PM me if you are keen on Himalayan Odyssey and let me see if there is anything that I can do for you.

PS: I do not believe you cannot do 5 Kms & 50 Push-Ups in 60 minutes.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2014, 17:56   #470
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Please PM me if you are keen on Himalayan Odyssey
No, I am not keen on Himalayan Odyssey. I will definitely ride Delhi>Leh>Delhi on my own and the remaining distance by train. Thanks for the encouraging words, MK.

Old 14th May 2014, 18:08   #471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the encouraging words, MK.
Anytime Chief, If you have the time why not attempt to do the KK to Kargil? Should be a fantastic tale to look back
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2014, 09:49   #472
BHPian

After lot of r&d, finally ended up buying cramster Breeze riding jacket.My plan was to go for Eclipse-hybrid.But that was very heavy and bulky,It got a built in rain coating,Which in turn was too hot,even after removing the thermal liners.I tried few other brands like Alpinestar,Nitro etc.But I felt cramster as VFM.It came with a tag of 5975/- .Also got Puncture sealent filled in both tyres and today I will be taking a saddle bag too.
Old 21st May 2014, 08:03   #473
BHPian

Finally. Booked TB 350. Delivery committed by Nerul, Navi Mumbai dealer is 2-3 months. Realistic ? Or should I push to get faster delivery? Cant wait to get my hands on the bike.
P.S. - This is my first bike, ever. Sold in just one test ride.
Old 21st May 2014, 20:54   #474
J.Ravi

Chennai>MetturDam>Ooty>Chennai In 24 Hours

I took my Blue Bird for a long, mega ride to Mettur Dam and Ooty on 20 May 2014.

Here are the details at a glance:

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-tripataglance.jpg

The route:

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-routemap.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-mid1.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-hotels.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-bpthoppur.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc02357.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc02358.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc02359.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc02360.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc02361.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc02369.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc02370.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc02377.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc02379.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-sh.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc02398.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc02401.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc02402.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc02412.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc02413.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc02414.jpg

Showers greeted me and Blue Bird from Kothagiri to Ooty. I kept all my personal belongings including camera inside the tank bag duly protected by the water-proof cover. The mother of traffic jams welcomed us inside Ooty and we had to wade through km-long traffic jams all over the town. Somehow, we managed to reach the lake and clicked some pics. During the return journey too, we got drenched due to intermittent rains [including hailstorms sometimes] from Salem to Ulundurpettai and Melmaruvathur to Madurantakam. After Chengalpet, the rain stopped bothering us and we were back to sizzling Chennai exactly after 24 hours.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc02419.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc02420.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-mid2.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-fuelexpense.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-expenses.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-myrides.jpg

Now that Blue Bird's weak battery must have got sufficiently charged, I don't have to bother about it for some more time.
  (10) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 14:48   #475
J.Ravi

Fifth [Paid] Servicing

Blue Bird had its fifth [paid] servicing done at Jaf Auto Garage, Pudupet, Chennai. I and Blue Bird were present at 9:45 am. We were directed to get the water-wash done at another place called Sterling Water Service, which we did. Then the service started at JAF. Wurth synthetic engine oil was poured in my presence. I was recommended an engine oil additive of the same brand for which I agreed. Air filter was also replaced as recommended in the owner's manual. Brake oil was also topped up. The low beam was playing hide and seek during my recent Ooty trip. I was directed to a nearby electrician Taj, who removed the bulb, checked and refitted the headlamp assembly to find it worked flawlessly. I requested Mr Jafar Ali to test-ride Blue Bird, which he did and he certified that everything was okay. He recommended a service interval of 4 k km as against 6 k km specified in the owner's manual. I have decided to follow Mr Jafar Ali's recommendation. I am fully satisfied with the service rendered by JAF. I was back at home by 11:45 am!

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-waterwash.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-service.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-5thservice.jpg

Last edited by J.Ravi : 22nd May 2014 at 15:03.
  (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 17:04   #476
BHPian

Hello Ravi Sir,

Is this fully synthetic engine oil, Or Semi-synthetic one? As far as I recollect, the service centers here in Pune charge around 900 Rs for semi-synthetic oils.

Also, can you please throw some light on the engine oil additive? Have you used it before? How is the performace? Have you seen any obvious advantages of using the additive?

Cheers and happy thumping!
Old 22nd May 2014, 18:13   #477
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletboy76 View Post
Is this fully synthetic engine oil, Or Semi-synthetic one?
Going by the sticker on the can, it is synthetic engine oil.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc_0031.jpg

Quote:
Have you used it before?
No. This is the first time. Since it was recommended, I decided to try it.

Quote:
How is the performace?
I am yet to experience the performance enhancement, if any.

Old 22nd May 2014, 23:17   #478
BHPian

Quote:
Going by the sticker on the can, it is synthetic engine oil.

Attachment 1243295

No. This is the first time. Since it was recommended, I decided to try it.

I am yet to experience the performance enhancement, if any.

It's most likely a semi synthetic oil. Fully synthetic oils retail for around INR 700 - 850 for 1L. Here it is a 3L can and costs around INR 930.
kaka46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2014, 13:56   #479
J.Ravi

Re: Fifth [Paid] Servicing

Quote:
The low beam was playing hide and seek during my recent Ooty trip. I was directed to a nearby electrician Taj, who removed the bulb, checked and refitted the headlamp assembly to find it worked flawlessly.
From the past couple of days, the low beam again started playing hide-and-seek. So, today, I took my Blue Bird to the electrician Taj at Pudupet. He opened the sheath to find the green wire of the low beam was cut. So, he attached a small piece of additional wire to increase the length so that it would not be subjected to tension while turning the handlebar, connected it with the both the ends of the cut wire and wound PVC tape. Now, the low beam is back to its glory. Taj charged me ₹ 70.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc_0042.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-servicecost10155.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-meandbluebird.jpg

Old 26th May 2014, 14:04   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
Also got Puncture sealent filled in both tyres and today I will be taking a saddle bag too.
Hi White-rabbit

Can you please some details of the puncture sealent. What is the make, cost, method of application and any adverse impact on the ride.

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks