Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2014, 22:38   #541
BHPian

[quote=Silverflash;3557678]Hi Ravi

I've booked a RE TB500 on October 6th and am expecting delivery in December./

Hi.. Sorry to intervene but I booked mine yesterday at the company store & the delivery period is within one month. I am not sure why the dealer told you until December. Also if thats the case then better to wait a few more days & get a 2015 model.
shaikhmimran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2014, 01:18   #542
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaikhmimran View Post
Hi.. Sorry to intervene but I booked mine yesterday at the company store & the delivery period is within one month. I am not sure why the dealer told you until December. Also if thats the case then better to wait a few more days & get a 2015 model.
Thanks for telling me this, shaikhmimran - I will ask them about this tomorrow. I had assumed that 45 days to 2 months was the standard delivery time, but the faster I can get my hands on the bike, the better.

I'm not too concerned about the date on the RC - as long as the piece I get is in good condition, I'm sorted.
Old 28th October 2014, 07:22   #543
J.Ravi

Blue Bird came out of her one-and-half month hibernation today at 5:30 am. I returned to my Chennai home at 4:30 am today from Bangalore. After unloading the luggage, wash and hot cuppa, I cleaned Blue Bird. Soon after the ignition was turned on, the battery icon started flashing in the instrument cluster. Without any hope, I electric-started and Blue Bird started chirping in the very first attempt. I took Blue Bird for a spin of 10 km on the beautiful beach road enjoying early morning breeze. The battery icon did not flash afterwards.

Old 28th October 2014, 17:15   #544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Blue Bird came out of her one-and-half month hibernation today at 5:30 am. I returned to my Chennai home at 4:30 am today from Bangalore. After unloading the luggage, wash and hot cuppa, I cleaned Blue Bird. Soon after the ignition was turned on, the battery icon started flashing in the instrument cluster. Without any hope, I electric-started and Blue Bird started chirping in the very first attempt. I took Blue Bird for a spin of 10 km on the beautiful beach road enjoying early morning breeze. The battery icon did not flash afterwards.
Hi Ravi, I got my Thunderbird 500 about 3 weeks back. I had took it out for a spin last saturday. The bike has run about 280 Kms so far, while I was riding I saw the battery icon flashing on the instrument panel and by the time I could stop the bike to check it, Kaputt the bike goes dead with RPM meter and speedometer needles stuck in between after the bike went dead. I called up RE Brandstore in Bandra and their mechanic gave me some basic troubleshooting tips like changing the fuse, etc. While I was doing this I noticed that the factory fitted Exide battery in my bike has become super hot I couldn't even touch it. I have done zilch modifications in bike and it is factory fresh in bone stock form.

I was vary of the local mechanics so I decided to put my brand new bike on the towing van and carried it towards the Synergy Auto RE Authorised Service Centre.

The bike is currently with the service centre and they are diagnosing the problem I believe. I will start an ownership thread soon to share the experiences of the "so called" modern EFi RE Thunderbird 500.

My suggestion to you is do not ignore that battery flashing icon lest you will get stranded like me and will need to tow it back to the service centre.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 19:44   #545
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
My suggestion to you is do not ignore that battery flashing icon lest you will get stranded like me and will need to tow it back to the service centre.
Thanks, navin_v8. My Blue Bird goes to hibernation whenever I am out of Chennai for a period of one to two months; so, the battery gets discharged and Blue Bird shows the battery icon on the instrument cluster. A few rides on my Blue Bird charge the battery fully. That has been my experience so far. I will consider replacing the battery when Blue Bird becomes two year old in a few months from now.
  (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 20:05   #546
Senior - BHPian

Two years old Ravi sir. Time just flies by. I remember those days when I used to read every update from you, infact it played roles too, seems it was just yesterday. Your riding experiences are definitely to look out for. By the way sir, are you coming to Goa this November for the RE hosted RM.
Majumdarda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 20:11   #547
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
By the way sir, are you coming to Goa this November for the RE hosted RM.
Goa is definitely on the wish-list of Blue Bird, but not in this November for RM. Thanks for the nice words, Majumdarda.

Old 16th November 2014, 18:12   #548
J.Ravi

Blue Bird Goes Off The Road!

Today, I took Blue Bird out for a 75-km ride on the picturesque East Coast Road [ECR], connecting Chennai and Puducherry [Pondy]. The main purpose was to charge Blue Bird's OE factory-fitted battery, which is perfectly alright now. After 35 km or so on ECR, Blue Bird turned to left towards the Bay of Bengal for beach-riding or sand-cruising or off-roading, maiden attempt for Blue Bird in 1.5 years and me in 60 years.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc04262.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc04265.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc04267.jpg

I rode on the beach in the first gear without depressing the clutch lever all along. Only once, Blue Bird got stalled, while taking a sharp turn. Apart from that, we enjoyed the beach-riding or sand-cruising or off-roading. Now that we scored well in our maiden attempt, I would like to take Blue Bird closest to the blue waters, the next time.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc04269.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc04274.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc04276.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc04287.jpg
  (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2014, 19:12   #549
BHPian

Re: Blue Bird Goes Off The Road!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Today, I took Blue Bird out for a 75-km ride on the picturesque East Coast Road
Sir, the bird looks lovely with the back drop of the sea. Even though I live just 600 metres from the sea it is a shame that I haven't taken a single photo of my GT on the beach. I will do so next week. Thanks for the pictures.
arulpeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2014, 23:12   #550
BHPian

Ravi Sir, I got my TB 500 delivered on Thursday. Reading your thread helped me get lot of insights & support. Thank you so much. Shall post pics soon. Please PM me to catch up when you are next in Blore.
shaikhmimran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2014, 08:12   #551
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
Sir, the bird looks lovely with the back drop of the sea.
Thanks for the appreciation, arulpeem.

Quote:
Ravi Sir, I got my TB 500 delivered on Thursday.
Congratulations and best wishes, shaikhmimran. Explore and enjoy your Thunderbird 500.

Quote:
Please PM me to catch up when you are next in Blore.
I am in Bangalore now, will leave on 3 Dec 2014 and will come back by end-Dec 2014.

I tried in vain to send a PM. This was the error message that was displayed on the screen:

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-tbhp.jpg

Last edited by J.Ravi : 23rd November 2014 at 08:31.

Old 24th November 2014, 00:01   #552
BHPian

Ravi Sir, I have a query regarding the fuel type for my TB 500. The showroom guy at delivery told me to fill premium petrol only as its a EFI bike. The manual recommends 87 octane or higher. Right now I have put in Shell Premium (Rs. 76 per litre) . Do you also use premium petrol or regular? If regular, is there any issue? Please advise. Thank you!
Old 24th November 2014, 09:11   #553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ravi Sir, I have a query regarding the fuel type for my TB 500. The showroom guy at delivery told me to fill premium petrol only as its a EFI bike. The manual recommends 87 octane or higher. Right now I have put in Shell Premium (Rs. 76 per litre) . Do you also use premium petrol or regular? If regular, is there any issue? Please advise. Thank you!
Regular shell Petrol is just fine for the bird

@JRavi-Awesome pics,glad to see the bird along the seashore
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 09:27   #554
J.Ravi

Quote:
The showroom guy at delivery told me to fill premium petrol only as its a EFI bike.
Yes, I too received the same advice from the showroom guys at the time of delivery of Blue Bird.

Quote:
The manual recommends 87 octane or higher.
The owner's manual recommends unleaded high octane petrol with more than 91.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-unleadedpetrol.jpg

Quote:
Do you also use premium petrol or regular?
No. I use regular unleaded petrol only. The owner's handbook of my erstwhile petrol Linea recommended usage of regular unleaded petrol only and specifically warned against usage of premium petrol, whose additives might be detrimental to the engine. So, I sincerely follow FIAT's advice for Royal Enfield too.

Wikipedia says the following:

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-inidanpetrol.jpg

Even the unleaded normal petrol has the same Octane rating of 91. So, there is no worry.

http://www.siamindia.com/scripts/gasoline.aspx

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-octane.jpg

Quote:
If regular, is there any issue?
No worries at all. Blue Bird is already 11 k km old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Awesome pics,glad to see the bird along the seashore
Thanks a lot for the appreciation and compliments, rakesh_r.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 24th November 2014 at 09:37.
  (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 09:52   #555
Distinguished - BHPian

Great going Ravi! I think a trip to Kerala beaches - specifically this one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muzhappilangad_Beach
You will definitely have equal or more fun than the sand ride you did!
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks