Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2015, 11:04   #616
Senior - BHPian

Re: Blue Bird's First Birthday

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
my last leg of drive to Chennai.
Fantastic Sir, Needless to say have a safe and easy drive back home.

Needless to say the return journeys are always the one that catalyzes the need for a new ride/drive

Will be hooked on to your thread
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 12:41   #617
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis86 View Post
I get a weird rattling noise from the tank at close to 2.5K RPM. Spoke with the service center guys an they as usual are saying that everything is fine. Can someone please let me know if this is normal, if not, what's the cause? (which screw to tighten?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaikhmimran View Post
There are two flat metal collars under the tank in the front. Race the bike & let d accelerator go. Hear the sound & if it comes from this part, the collar is touching the tank. Just squeeze the collar hard inwards & you are done. It doesn't happen in showroom as fuel is low. The problem becomes visible only when there is load of fuel. Let us know if that solved the issue. Safe ride.
Don't know about effect of fuel load on this, but I did face this problem on my month-old TB500. And bending the sheet metal protrusions on both sides did the trick for me. A way to check if this might be a reason for your problem too (apart from whatever the service center guys have diagnosed): when you next hear this, with you left hand, grip the front left underbelly of your fuel tank in a tight grip (near where the sheet metal thingy is located). If the vibes stop then there's your culprit.

Grip here while riding, if you feel the vibes.
Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-img_20150420_123038.jpg

See if it is fouling with the tank on inner side or outer side.
Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-img_20150420_121449695_hdr.jpg

On my bike this sheet metal tends to rub on the inner side of tank underbelly (right side in picture above). Bend to intermediate position accordingly.

Edit: I had also completed my first free servicing at Platiinum recently, and found only one of the mechanics rather competent. His name is Shoheb I think.

Last edited by Harshal.Bhosale : 20th April 2015 at 12:49. Reason: picture caption misplaced
Harshal.Bhosale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 15:32   #618
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Sir,

Can i request for a small favor from your end.

MY TBTS 500 is 1 Year old and the Battery has started acting up.
The battery icon on the panel is blinking continuously and i see a marginal drop in light and power output of the lights.

looking at the forums it seems i need to go in for a replacement battery and as per consultation from the RE service center i should have it replaced as well.

Can you please post a picture of the Battery on your bike and the warranty card, this will help me get the correct config, i have posted a more detailed query in another forum.

Thanks in advance sir.
Regards,
Jimit
Old 8th May 2015, 14:33   #619
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post
The battery icon on the panel is blinking continuously and i see a marginal drop in light and power output of the lights.
My Blue Bird too experienced the same exactly after one year of purchase. The details are here.

Quote:
Can you please post a picture of the Battery on your bike and the warranty card, this will help me get the correct config
Mine is Fiamm Wind 12V 14AH battery. Blue Bird is still running on the stock OE battery without any external additional charge notwithstanding the fact that she goes into hibernation the every other month. To bring her back from the month-long hibernation, I kick-start her and she starts chirping in the very first kick with the battery icon flashing on the instrument panel. I take her for a ride above 2 k rpm and she gets her energy boost within a spin of 5 km or so. My son's 3.5 year-old Classic 500 is still running on the stock OE battery without any issues as he rides it almost daily.

Recently, I bought a 30,000 mAh jump-starter from Ali Express costing ₹ 3,651.25 plus ₹ 860 of customs duty, totalling ₹ 4,511.25 to take care of emergencies.
  (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 14:53   #620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Recently, I bought a 30,000 mAh jump-starter from
Chief,
Is that really useful? Does it not have a shelf life? Can you please put in a few pointers on this?

Looking at the USB Slot, does it also charge mobiles and other electronic gadgets? What is the weight & size of this, apologies if am asking for too many questions
Old 8th May 2015, 15:26   #621
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Is that really useful?
Yes, I think so. I can use this jump-starter both in Blue Bird and Purple Cheetah.

Quote:
Does it not have a shelf life?
Just now I checked it after about 10 days. It retains the full charge with all the 4 LED indicators illuminating. According to the manufacturer, it has a life cycle of 3,000 times.

Quote:
Looking at the USB Slot, does it also charge mobiles and other electronic gadgets?
I successfully test-charged my phone and laptop several times without any issues. But, I am yet to test the jump-starting, which I will do to awaken the Blue Bird from the next hibernation!

Quote:
What is the weight & size of this
500 g. 165 x 79 x 40 mm.

Quote:
apologies if am asking for too many questions
Not at all. You are welcome to ask as many queries as they arise, MK.

Old 23rd May 2015, 23:20   #622
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar@Chadha View Post
Need one suggestion, I am booking my TB 500 on Monday in Bangalore, which colour should I go for. .very confused
That is a very personal question that can only be answered by your heart.

It is like asking the forum to pick out your future bride (assuming you are not already married), or your next fancy meal.

I like my motorcycles to look shiny and new so I lean towards the gloss finishes rather than the dull, flat coatings.

That is why I bought the fuel injected, 500cc, G5 Deluxe (called the Electra in India and no longer available in the U.S.), with its chrome and gloss black paint with gold pin-striping on the fuel tank and chrome mud guards.

Everyone has their own opinion and more often than not it will be contrary to your feelings.

The best advice I can give is to pick the one that reflects (no pun intended) your personality.
Old 25th May 2015, 21:54   #623

Thanks Jim for your interstingly and helpful reply. I did go ahead and book my TB 500 in Marine Blue today.
Old 26th May 2015, 08:10   #624
J.Ravi

Quote:
I did go ahead and book my TB 500 in Marine Blue today.
Congratulations and best wishes, Amar@Chadha.

Don't buy any accessories from the dealer. The same accessories - including the Thunderbird-specific crash-guards - are available at Sandhya Auto Spares, JC Road, Behind SBI, Bangalore at less price.

Old 26th May 2015, 16:38   #625

Thanks Mr Ravi, I have been following your posts regularly and will need your advice on some of these matters as this my first RE.
Old 27th May 2015, 11:03   #626

Dear Mr Ravi, which will be the right place to buy a mobile holder for the bike? Will Sandhya Auto have a mobile holder, which brand should one go for. Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 16:10   #627
J.Ravi

Quote:
which will be the right place to buy a mobile holder for the bike?
I bought this a coupla years back from dealextreme.com and it serves me alright for holding my navigator during my long rides.

Quote:
Will Sandhya Auto have a mobile holder, which brand should one go for. Thanks
You can try for similar products from Ali Express. You will get it delivered within 2-3 weeks.

Old 28th May 2015, 12:21   #628
J.Ravi

Third Party Insurance

I usually convert from comprehensive to third party after 2 years on my two-wheelers as my running is very less and my claim history is almost nil - only one claim on my erstwhile Suzuki Fiero so far - in my 40 years of riding. Accordingly, now, my Blue Bird is insured for the third-party-liability-only insurance, costing ₹ 1,049. I managed to get a certificate from the insurer at the time of renewal stating that my no-claim bonus will be transferred to a new comprehensive insurance policy, if I buy a new two-wheeler within 3 years from the date of certificate. So, with the third party insurance, atleast I can save on the premia!

Old 28th May 2015, 12:22   #629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Mr Ravi, which will be the right place to buy a mobile holder for the bike? Will Sandhya Auto have a mobile holder, which brand should one go for. Thanks
Hello Amar,

Would suggest you to give this a good look before considering other options. They are fantastic and will last you much longer. Also they do have a few contraptions which will also keep your handlebar clean and tidy.

http://shop.redlineplus.in/4-mobile-...ne-holder.html

They are a tad expensive but they really lost that much longer.
Old 28th May 2015, 12:24   #630
Senior - BHPian

Re: Third Party Insurance

Quote:
Accordingly, now, my Blue Bird is insured for the third-party-liability-only insurance, costing ₹ 1,049.
Wow 1049 for 3rd Party Insurance? How much was the difference between the comprehensive and this?

PS Mods: Apologies for the back to back posts, can you please merge them both into one?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks