Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2015, 10:15   #691
BANNED

Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries

Hello all TB 500 owners and readers. I am posting here as this is the most active and referred thread. Sorry Ravi Sir to hijack it with my doubts.

I have a question regarding the headlight and its performance. Since this is the only bike that has projector setup in the RE range and as a prospective customer, I want to get some doubts cleared:
  1. How is the reliability of this unit?

2. How good are the beam spread and throe (Both low and high beam)?

3. Is this setup good enough if one needs to be cruising at 80-100 kmph (100 kmph max)?

4. Can anyone post good quality pictures of the headlight at night in both low and high beams?

5. Has anyone upgraded the bulbs? I had read a review where they upgraded to 80W bulbs.

6. How does one go about changing bulbs?
Old 13th October 2015, 12:52   #692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
How is the reliability of this unit?
Well in my one year of ownership they have not given me any problems whatsoever. My other colleagues who have this unit on their Tbird also have not faced any issues till date.
Quote:
How good are the beam spread and throw (Both low and high beam)?
Well they are pretty good for city rides and for occasional short highway rides. But I prefer a pair of auxiliary LED lights for our dark as hell Indian highways.
Quote:
Is this setup good enough if one needs to be cruising at 80-100 kmph (100 kmph max)?
I avoid riding at night at such speeds due to overall poor visibility. The existing set up is good for rides at moderate speeds. For higher speeds one can opt for a larger throw H7(OEM) type bulb namely Philips Extreme Vision or Osram night breaker. You can read about their performance on my thread titled, "Undying Hunger...Thunderbird 500"
Quote:
Can anyone post good quality pictures of the headlight at night in both low and high beams?
Has anyone upgraded the bulbs? I had read a review where they upgraded to 80W bulbs.
How does one go about changing bulbs?
I am still running on my stock setup so can't help you much in this aspect. Others kindly chip in.
navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 21:02   #693
J.Ravi

Quote:
Sorry Ravi Sir to hijack it with my doubts.
Not at all. Here is my experience.
Quote:
How is the reliability of this unit?
My bird is 2.5 years and 13 k km old. In this period, only once the wire connecting the low projector beam got cut internally. Got it rectified by my trusted electrician.
Quote:
How good are the beam spread and throe (Both low and high beam)?
My headlamp is stock OE one. I don't have anything extra. Both the beams are sufficient for me.
Quote:
Is this setup good enough if one needs to be cruising at 80-100 kmph (100 kmph max)?
Yes. All my mega long rides involve night-riding. During the night-rides, I don't exceed 100 kmph. I haven't felt the need for any extra lighting. In case I need extra lighting, if I press the flasher when in low beam, both the beams will be lit. Another way is to keep the high/low beam switch in the middle, so that both the beams will be lit simultaneously. But, I do it only for a short time, especially while overtaking.
  (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 23:02   #694
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Well in my one year of ownership they have not given me any problems whatsoever.
Thank you Navin for responding. I am relieved.

PS: I have kept your thread and Ravi Sir's thread as Bookmark!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Not at all. Here is my experience.
Thank you Ravi Sir. You are my idol when it comes to both the vehicle that I eye to buy in future replacing my current steed.

Swift >>> XUV 5OO
Karizma R >>> TB 500.

If the plans go as planned then it will be a nice Coincidence that both our garage will match.

Quote:
Another way is to keep the high/low beam switch in the middle, so that both the beams will be lit simultaneously.
Wouldn't doing this ruin the electrical system is kept in the middle position?

Another Request to both of you: Can you please add pictures of both the low and High beams? Want to see how it looks. Thank you.
Old 14th October 2015, 07:39   #695
J.Ravi

Quote:
Wouldn't doing this ruin the electrical system is kept in the middle position?
That's why, I specifically mentioned short period of time. See, nothing happened to my bird!
Quote:
Can you please add pictures of both the low and High beams? Want to see how it looks.
I will try. But, on well-lit city streets, that many not give the correct picture. One should try it on dark highways to get a clear picture.
Quote:
nice Coincidence that both our garage will match.
Both are real highway cruisers. Can drive/ride for hours and hours without a break. Thanks for the compliments, a4anurag.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 14th October 2015 at 07:48.

Old 14th October 2015, 08:13   #696
BHPian

Ravi Sir, when are you coming to Bangalore next? A chat over coffee is long due! And our bikes should get acquainted aa well!
shaikhmimran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 08:59   #697
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaikhmimran View Post
Ravi Sir, when are you coming to Bangalore next? A chat over coffee is long due!
Surely, in another week's time, but the date is yet to be fixed.
Quote:
And our bikes should get acquainted aa well!
But, my bird will remain at Chennai. Of course, I can ride on my son's Classic 500.

Old 14th October 2015, 10:32   #698
BHPian

Ha ha. Please PM me & we shall meet.
shaikhmimran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 15:24   #699
J.Ravi

It's Our Thanksgiving Day!

Blue Bird joined her sibling Purple Cheetah today on our Thanksgiving.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 21st October 2015 at 15:25.
  (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 17:48   #700
J.Ravi

Blue Bird Gets New Rear Framed Number Plate

Today, Blue Bird got a new rear framed registration number plate in an attractive font without IND and hologram, costing ₹ 450 for the plate and ₹ 175 for the standard frame. The front one remains the same old factory-fitted. I fixed them myself.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-img_6204.jpg
  (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 18:43   #701
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Blue Bird Gets New Rear Framed Number Plate

Quote:
Today, Blue Bird got a new rear framed registration number plate in an attractive font without IND and hologram, costing ₹ 450 for the plate and ₹ 175 for the standard frame.
Looks awesome! I want one too
Address/ procurement tips please
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 19:07   #702
J.Ravi

Re: Blue Bird Gets New Rear Framed Number Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Looks awesome! I want one too
Thanks, abirnale. You can have for your bird and cheetah.
Quote:
Address/ procurement tips please
I bought them from Canvas Ink. I selected German plates for both the bird and cheetah. You can include Utsav Batra's number in WhatsApp as he gives prompt response for your queries.
  (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 01:00   #703
BHPian

Ravi sir, sorry for hijacking your thread. Need your advise.

My March 2015 Thunderbird 500 is leaking fuel from the hose pipe that connects the tank to the engine. As shown in this video (someone else with the same problem shot this).

I had to leave it at office today. Noticed the problem first this morning. Called up Chennai OMR service centre. Two service men came home and temporarily tightened the clamp that fixes the hose pipe. Asked me to visit the service centre and get it replaced. Service centre fellows replaced the clamp alone. Certified everything to be good.

Noticed the leak again in the night when I turned on ignition. Had to leave the bike at office.

Could you please suggest below?
1) What could be the problem? For sure service men did not diagnose the exact problem.
2) Bike is standing in office near Spencer Plaza, Mount Road. Is there any RE A.S.S near by or should I call people all the way from OMR.
3) Or should I dump them and take it to Jaf's service near Puthupet? Bike is still under warranty, just 7 months 4.4k KMs old.

Thank you!
Old 3rd November 2015, 08:27   #704
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyBoyKK View Post
1) What could be the problem? For sure service men did not diagnose the exact problem.
After seeing the video, I think the hose-end has came out of the mouth. So, press the hose towards the mouth to see if the leakage has stopped. If the leakage persists, it could be due to a puncture. Change the hose and clamp asap.
Quote:
2) Bike is standing in office near Spencer Plaza, Mount Road. Is there any RE A.S.S nearby
Sri Velavan Motors, 214, Pathari Street, Anna Salai, Chennai 600 006. Phone: 875 455 3404. Located at Thousand Lights behind old Anand theatre on a lane perpendicular to Anna Salai.
Quote:
3) Or should I dump them and take it to Jaf's service near Puthupet? Bike is still under warranty, just 7 months 4.4k KMs old.
Since it is under warranty, take it to Sri Velavan Motors, Thousand Lights.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 3rd November 2015 at 08:33.
  (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 08:36   #705
BHPian

Quote:
After seeing the video, I think the hose-end has came out of the mouth. So, press the hose towards the mouth to see if the leakage has stopped. If the leakage persists, it could be due to a puncture. Change the hose and clamp asap.
Thank you very much Sir! I pressed / adjusted the clamp few times in vain. So must be a puncture as you said. Will take it to Velavan Motors. Thanks again for the quick response.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks