Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2016, 22:56   #781
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries

Sir,
NH 8has crazy truck traffic from Delhi to dharuhera during entry time for trucks.

Plus Jat reservation agitation today halt all traffic in Gurgaon.

Just updating.
P.S. is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2016, 10:25   #782
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdeepudev View Post
I've been following you since your Linea days and bit sad when it was sold.
Even now, my head turns involuntarily, whenever I see a Linea/Punto on the road. After buying Linea only, I crossed south India in driving.
Quote:
Wish you a safe journey and good health.
Thanks a lot for the wishes and nice words, drdeepudev.
Quote:
Originally Posted by citron View Post
SaddleSore 1600K - 1538 kms in 29 hours
Those who attempt IBA SS take rest after completing it, whereas I can't afford that rest as I have another 3 k km to go!
Quote:
In any case, completing an overnighter across WB,JH,BR and UP into DL deserves a full 21 gun salute,no less!
Thanks,citron. Except for bad roads in many sections, which are not visible in the night, everything is normal in those states. I had many chats with petrol pump guys, who vouched for safety on the highways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
Jat reservation agitation today halt all traffic in Gurgaon.
Thanks, P.S. for the update. When I started the ride, there was an agitation by Kapu community in some parts of AP. But, when I passed through those areas, everything was calm and quiet. I hope the same in Gurgaon too tomorrow.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 20th February 2016 at 10:29.
  (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2016, 18:50   #783
BHPian

Words fall short to describe how inspiring and motivating this man is. With all due respect to you, men of your age find solace in armchairs and James Hadley Chase.

This man finds solace in the passion of motorcycling. Solo.

When I first came to know you were in town, I wasted no time in sending out the word to the TBHP NCR Motorcyclists. Although many had weekend engagements and unfortunately couldn't join, I'm glad bhpian Piyadassi could join me to meet you. Hearing you speak was worth every second.

Hats off to your perseverance, commitment, passion, courage and grit. You put our generation of motorcyclists to sheer shame.

Now, I very seldom address someone as "Sir". No, this isn't a corny movie dialogue I've heard 10 years back but a principle I simply believe in. One should deserve respect, not claim it. The previous person whom I still address as "Sir" as of today is my Head of Department in College.

May you roar and soar like our nation's flag and may you serve as a source of inspiration for many more motorcyclists who're yet to come out of their cocoon, Ravi Sir. Godspeed.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-20160220_170456.jpg  

Last edited by barcalad : 20th February 2016 at 18:54.
barcalad is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th February 2016, 22:24   #784
J.Ravi

Riding Golden Quadrilateral

I enjoyed thoroughly riding my Thunderbird 500 as correctly guided by NaviMaps on the excellent roads of New Delhi and congested lanes and bylanes of old Delhi.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-delhi.jpg

I met fellow-Team-BHP'ians Ayush [barcalad] and Anand [Piyadassi] at Starbucks, Connaught Circus. We discussed many things on motorcycles, especially Himalayan, Duke 390 and Mojo, while enjoying Cappuccino. Ayush shared his experience about repairing the punctured tubeless tyres. He also suggested me to visit Neemrana Fort-Palace on my way to Udaipur. Anand is thinking of buying Himalayan. I am thankful to Ayush and Anand for this wonderful meet.

After the meet, I rode to Chandni Chowk, parked my bird at old Lajpat Rai market, walked, enjoyed delicious chole bhatoore and sweet lassi at Ram Bhoj, Chandni Chowk and returned to hotel at 8:30 pm.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc06677.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc06676.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
James Hadley Chase.
I was a fan of James Hadley Chase and read all his books during my college days! Thanks a lot for the wonderful photo of my bird with Tricolour and kind words, Ayush.
  (13) Thanks
Old 21st February 2016, 17:55   #785
BHPian

A quick update on behalf of Ravi Sir. He has left Haryana and entered Rajasthan safely. Things have gone terribly south due to the Jat agitation. Received a message from him just now. Relieved.

Here's what he sent.

Quote:
I am now near Kishangarh enjoying early dinner at Hotel New Jaipur, NH 8, my third visit since 2010! There was tension at HR-RJ border with trucks parked haphazardly with deflated tyres. 3 teenagers riding on a bike warned me that if I continue further my bike would be set afire. But, I didn't care. I rode on service road, main highway, right side, wrong side, zig zags in between parked trucks and entered RJ. HR cops were mute spectators for this lawlessness staged in front of them. I asked them whether I can proceed, he told me to ride on the wrong side of service road. NH 8 was empty but for a few two-wheelers.
barcalad is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st February 2016, 19:53   #786
BHPian

The three words we find in Royal Enfield brochures - 'LOVE', 'POWER', 'RESPECT'. And here we have this elder Gent who has always been the inspiration to riders and has earned their RESPECT. Kudos to you Ravi Sir and ride safe.
adrian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 01:41   #787
J.Ravi

My Thunderbird 500 brought me safely and comfortably to Jaiwana Haveli, Udaipur, at 00:30 am today. We wasted half-hour as my NaviMaps misguided and took me elsewhere. It always gets confused in the ghats. After a few enquiries, I reached the venue. The main door was locked and the staff were sleeping inside. I used my maximum lung power and shouted with honking of double horn of Thunderbird 500; a boy, appearing to be sleep-walking, came out and opened the door. Anohter one hour was wasted due to the protests at HR-RJ border.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-delhiudaipur.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
A quick update
Thanks for the timely update, Ayush.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
'LOVE', 'POWER', 'RESPECT'.
Thank you so much for the nice words and wishes, adrian.
  (10) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 16:01   #788
J.Ravi

Seventh Service At Voyage Motors, Udaipur

Today, I rode to Voyage Motors, Udaipur and got my bird serviced in my presence without any prior appointment. M/s Jasbir Singh Gandhi and his son, Jatin Gandhi took personal interest in getting my bird serviced on top priority. Not only that. Mr Jasbir Singh Gandhi test-rode my bird after servicing to confirm that everything was alright. I got back my bird at 2 pm. Blue Bird has already completed 4,150 km of Golden Quadrilateral ride. Now, she is fit as a fiddle to complete the remaining 2 k km.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-7thservice.jpg
  (10) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 08:08   #789
J.Ravi

Blue Bird is all set to ride to Pune in a coupla hours from now.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc06721.jpg
  (7) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 15:25   #790
Senior - BHPian

Hey Cap'n nice to see you riding the GQ with your BlueBird while keeping all of us posted. I wanted to know the average cruising speeds you are able to maintain during this ride. Also how effective are the auxiliary lamps while doing night rides. Any figures with regards to mileage per litre during this trip would be great.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 01:03   #791
BHPian

Eagerly look forward to your complete trip description and pics sir.
The roads near pune have a great view, specially if cloudy.
P.S. is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 04:15   #792
J.Ravi

Riding Golden Quadrilateral: Udaipur - Pune

We are in Pune now!

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-udaipurpune.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
I wanted to know the average cruising speeds you are able to maintain during this ride.
Thanks, navin_v8. If the road is excellent, 100 kmph; otherwise, 80-90 kmph. The average speed of Udaipur-Pune leg is the highest so far compared to the other legs, mainly due to the excellent roads in RJ, GJ and MH.
Quote:
Also how effective are the auxiliary lamps while doing night rides.
Excellent. If I switch on those LEDs, truckers go to the left lane to give right of way to me to overtake!
Quote:
Any figures with regards to mileage per litre during this trip would be great.
I will post these details after completion of the ride. Now, I simply buy the fuel for ₹ 500 instead of filling the tank upto the brim. So, I am unable to calculate the FE in tankful-to-tankful method.
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
Eagerly look forward to your complete trip description and pics sir.
I will post all the details after completion of the ride. Thanks, P.S.
  (5) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 08:53   #793
J.Ravi

Riding Golden Quadrilateral: Pune - Bangalore

We have arrived at Bangalore.

As soon as I checked into Ginger, Wakad, Pune, yesterday, I asked the counter-staff as to when would be check-out time since I checked in at 2:45 am. I was told that I could check out upto 5 pm without any extra charges. So, I utilized that offer, ate & slept well and checked out at 5 pm, the busy peak hour, which pulled down my average speed.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-punebangalore.jpg

The grand finale is scheduled for tomorrow.
  (13) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 10:11   #794
Senior - BHPian

Wow

You must be one of the few who made 'full' use of the GQ.

This is going to be my reference guide when I plan my GQ ride, whenever that is.
But I like the way you dedicated this trip to just the riding and not much else. That would be more or less the same I would do.

Will congratulate once you reach Madras, although it is as good as complete now.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 09:05   #795
J.Ravi

Riding Golden Quadrilateral: Bangalore - Chennai

Mission accomplished!

Blue Bird brought me Chennai Royapettah home safely and comfortably.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-gqride.jpg

No puncture. No breakdown. No accident. No falling down. No problem.

120 hours of riding 6,353 km through TN>AP>OD>WB>JH>BR>UP>DL>HR>RJ>GJ>MH>KA in 12 days.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-img_20160226_080947.jpg

Kolkata - Delhi was the longest and toughest; Bangalore - Chennai was the shortest and sweetest.

I thank one and all for the wishes, appreciation and kind encouraging words.

I am thankful to my Thunderbird 500, which has once again proved it is trust-worthy and dependable, when it comes to highway-cruising.

Ride details will follow in due course.
  (21) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks