Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2013, 17:27   #1
BHPian

Vibrations on my motorcycle / scooter

My 6 year old Honda Dio has developed this problem recently. Upto 60 kmph, the bike runs fine. Going above 60, slight vibrations start getting felt through the handlebars. Around 70, they are much more prominent and noticeable. Around 80, it gets quite severe and is more of a distinct shudder.

Any clues on what maybe wrong? Service will be due soon, and it will be good if I can tell the service centre noobs to look at something specifically rather than just mentioning a problem to them and getting their blank stares.

MODS, please merge this post with any existing thread if deemed appropriate. I tried searching but could not find anything about this problem.
Old 12th May 2013, 19:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Vibrations on my motorcycle / scooter

Wheel alignment gone wrong? I am not sure on what it is for two-wheelers, but for cars it is definitely one of the reasons for the steering vibrations at high speeds.
Old 12th May 2013, 19:55   #3
BHPian

There is no wheel alignment on a scooter.Your problem could be wheel bearings either front or back. Or a final drive shaft bearing.
You can also check the fitment of your tyres especialy if you have had a punture recently.
Collector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2013, 23:06   #4
BHPian

My dad's Activa has the same problem and the reason behind the vibrations are the tyres that are in the end of their life. Add to it the steel rims that are a bit out of shape cos of the beating it had in the past 9 years. Pls have your Dio in center stand and try rotating the front wheel, you'll be able to spot the irregularity in the rotation of your wheel.

Hope this helps.
smrtdvl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2013, 23:58   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
There is no wheel alignment on a scooter.Your problem could be wheel bearings either front or back. Or a final drive shaft bearing.
You can also check the fitment of your tyres especialy if you have had a punture recently.
I was also suspecting wheel bearings. Thanks for the pointer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
My dad's Activa has the same problem and the reason behind the vibrations are the tyres that are in the end of their life. Add to it the steel rims that are a bit out of shape cos of the beating it had in the past 9 years. Pls have your Dio in center stand and try rotating the front wheel, you'll be able to spot the irregularity in the rotation of your wheel.

Hope this helps.
Tyres are in good shape. I doubt the rims are bad either. Anyways, thanks for the suggestion. Will try it out and report the findings.
Old 13th May 2013, 00:56   #6
BHPian

The steel balls in the bearings (in the fork assembly) coupled with fork dis-alignment. check if you can feel any movement when you try to move the wheel horizontally or you can sense any free-play in the handle movement without the wheel turning when you move the handle bar left/right.

I am suggesting this since you only refer to the handle bar vibrations. Hope there is nothing coming from the other parts (read engine).
Old 13th May 2013, 04:19   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

After 6 years of use it is entirely possible that the steering head bearings need to be adjusted.

These are the bearings that allow the front wheel to turn right and left and if they are loose they can cause the vibration.

These bearings are installed with a adjustable nut which can be turned to tighten them.

As was mentioned, bent rims, damaged tyres, incorrect tyre inflation, worn wheel bearings and misalignment can also cause these problems. Yes, I know it's a scooter but the mounting for the rear engine/transmission/tyre can wear, allowing the assembly to get out of alignment.
Old 13th May 2013, 07:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

Check tyres first for uneven wear as it can lead to unbalance and subsequent vibrations. As it vibrates after a certain speed tyre is the most likely culprit. Also check true-ness of the disc.
Once this is eliminated, check for wheel bearing slackness and handlebar column bearings.
Old 13th May 2013, 16:29   #9
BHPian

Frankly I am surprised that you are able to cross 80 on a 6 year old Honda Dio.

The vibrations can also be due to broken screws on your front assembly, the Dio having majority of its components in fiber, it does tend to make a lot of noise and vibrations.
Old 13th February 2022, 14:29   #10
BHPian

Irritating vibrations on the front of pulsar 150

Dear BHPians,

I have recently replaced rear suspensions on my pulsar 150 dtsi, front suspension overhaul was also done along with both front & rear tyre change. There is constant vibration on the front that is irritating. The vibration feels like riding on a bad road and I haven't been able to find out what is causing the issue.

Bajaj service center guys say that there is nothing wrong on the bike mechanically, they have checked everything and according to them the front tyre is bad. I went to the tyre shop from where the tyre was replaced but the shop owner says tyres are fine as they were brand new and there is nothing wrong with the tyre. Both the tyre shop and Bajaj asc are playing a blame game while I am getting irritated by the constant vibrations.

I think there is something wrong with the balancing but I am not able to locate a shop who does wheel balancing for motorcycles in Ahmedabad.
techieaditya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks