Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2013, 17:32   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: DSK Hyosung Dealership (Ulsoor lake) - Charging 500 bucks for a test-ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Go get a Ninja, they are known not to be so cheap at least!
In Pune, they don't give test ride for Ninja too! Neither does Honda give testride for CBR250. I must say that Bullets were available for test ride, in their 500cc avatar. So was Duke200, though it was only in campus.

Funnily enough, Hero doesn't give ZMA for test ride! After being in market for 10 years, still they don't have faith in the riding abilities of their prospective customers

Referred showrooms:
Bajaj/KTM = Ruby hall
Enfield = Sangamwadi
Honda = Sangamwadi
Hero = Koregaon Park
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 18:12   #17
BHPian

I've never been particularly impressed by DSK Hyosung. Their dealership is packed to the rafters with bikes parked in a haphazard manner.
And they have a really shady-looking service centre under the Cox Town flyover as well.
Old 3rd June 2013, 18:57   #18
BHPian

Though i do not agree on the taking 500 or any amount of money for td part but i do agree we need a filter or some mechanism in place to ensure the 'genuine' buyers walk/td a product.

In the end it depends on one's conscious approach ,i pass the jlr showroom everyday and the enthusiast in me wants to go inside and ask for a test drive of the evogue ,maybe 10-12 years down the line i will buy one but today i cannot so why td?

Team bhp gives me a virtual td experience in the new car review section

Once i am ready and can afford one will walk into the store/showroom
Old 3rd June 2013, 21:42   #19
BHPian

This pay-for-TD practice is nothing uncommon with Hyosung dealers. Heck, when the R15 was launched in 2008, some Yamaha dealers in Calcutta were doing the same too!

When it comes to test rides, except HD, who in India readily gives one a feel of their bikes? Almost nobody. Try walking into a Probiking showroom and ask for a test-ride of the Ninja 650. You will be blessed to even see a bike before you actually buy it. Forget the "Super"bikes completely.

Harley on the other hand is extremely professional in this matter. Sign an indemnity, get a briefing from the sales rep, and ride out on your preferred bike. The rep accompanies you on a separate bike and they do not crib on a longish ride as well. I rode an Iron 883 for almost 15-20 kms when I was looking to buy one.

Simplest thing to do is sign an indemnity. Saves the hassle!

Last edited by Motormania : 3rd June 2013 at 21:44.
Motormania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 22:00   #20
BHPian

@freewheelburnin: Hey buddy, these days its really disappointing to hear that kind of response, but believe me not surprising. That is because now a days people are more business centric than being customer centric and that's the root cause I suppose. There was a time when customer was the most important part for any Brand (Be it bike,car,mobile,tv,etc), but that trend is changing across many areas and one of those was quoted by our fellow-teambhp member. Business is self sustaining for many established Brands and with wheel churning revenues for them irrespective whether it loses a customer or not because there is always another customer who will eventually turn up from some other part of the city and roll the wheel. Please consider this as only my take on this topic and don't mean to create negativity around a brand because of one or two glitches. Hope such articles are read and heard by those who take business critical decisions and they must realize that if they don't take care of their customers some else will.
Old 3rd June 2013, 23:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh and many guys who have been to Atria, worli would endorse...

(sometime in 2006 IIRC)

I went from Mulund to Worli in 2 locals a bus to see the new RR Phantom with my 13 yr cousin brother.

We stood there for at least 10 mins in the dusk whilst many coat-suit uncles came and went, 1 SA kept watching us and after a while asked us to come inside and take a pic and touch and feel the car!! What a exp! I had a D.L, but of course never the nerve to ask for a TD!, but the feel that the SA, showroom and brand gave us will last a life time.
IIRC, there was an incident that occurred sometime in 1920's when someone from the Royal Rajput family had been treated badly by showroom staff at a RR showroom in UK, the sales guy had mistaken him as some poor commoner. When he came back to India, he procured a RR through the regular commission agent and used it to collect Garbage generated in his Palace! This NEWS spread like wildfire amongst the Rajputs in India! When RR learnt what'd happened, their top officials came to India and profusely apologised & requested the RR not be used for garbage collection.

Since then, they've had strict instructions to never ill-treat a (well behaved) Indian, fearing they never know who's who.

Coming back to the main topic, since it was a lady, I think you (the OP) should've handled the situation differently. I'm sure she would've given you back the money after the TD if you simply explained what you honestly felt about the bike. If it was a man, giving a hint was sufficient, and if he still didn't oblige, a mail to the company explaining what transpired could've got you a request for your 'valued feedback' about the bike after a test drive IF the company has any standard of decency.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 3rd June 2013 at 23:54.
Old 3rd June 2013, 23:53   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1) 500Rs for someone who is really considering a sub4L big boy bike is nothing, and if its promised it will be refunded upon purchase shows they are only keeping out the unwanted 'jolly boyz' of their place. Accept it, so many of us like a TD of a fast car, given a chance. All of us love beemers, porche's etc etc, but how many of us go into a 50L or a 1Cr showroom and ask for a TD. Just bcoz a bike costs like a Swift, many will tend to abuse their dealership and they are 'trying' (not saying its right) in their way to keep such people out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
I feel whatever they are doing is right. this is to keep the trashy crowd out. Else if you want fun pay for it.The attitude in the dealer counter is wrong but the methodology is right
Let say I am in the market for a bike costing 4L. My choices would start from CBR 250R ABS, Duke 200, Duke 390, Ninja 400, Hyosung GT 250R, Thunderbird 500 among other bullets and so forth. You guys serious think I need to pay 500 rs per test ride?

Refundable deposit makes sense if someone really has good intentions of keeping the 'thrashy' crowd out, not these stupid tactics. Some showrooms in the olden days used to offer test drives once you commit to buying the car - I never understood whats the use in test driving then. Similar case here!
Old 4th June 2013, 00:19   #23
BHPian

I pity the ex-army lady who runs this showroom. Lot of attitude, and the sad thing is she can't judge a prospective customer by his query or the ride he used to get to the that run down showroom floor of hers. 10 bikes parked next to each other in less than 1000 Sqft of space.

Heck i remember her asking me why i want the price list of the bikes if my friend can't decide immediately on which bike he wants to buy!

Forget buying, I would never recommend anyone looking out for a new sports bike to this showroom or should i say a groundfloor house converted into auto space (yes that's the DSK showroom)

Last edited by Ford5 : 4th June 2013 at 00:20.
Old 4th June 2013, 00:31   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
The showroom has been charging 500 bucks for test rides for quite some time now so its not just that lady who is at fault. Im sure they know that they are turning away potential customers but hey if they dont want to sell more bikes who are we to complain?
Probably because of this the test drives are far and few, and the dealership is able to spend more time with the test drivers, who are genuinely interested in the vehicle, and convert them to buyers?
Old 4th June 2013, 02:33   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormania View Post
This pay-for-TD practice is nothing uncommon with Hyosung dealers. Heck, when the R15 was launched in 2008, some Yamaha dealers in Calcutta were doing the same too!

When it comes to test rides, except HD, who in India readily gives one a feel of their bikes? Almost nobody. Try walking into a Probiking showroom and ask for a test-ride of the Ninja 650. You will be blessed to even see a bike before you actually buy it. Forget the "Super"bikes completely.

Harley on the other hand is extremely professional in this matter. Sign an indemnity, get a briefing from the sales rep, and ride out on your preferred bike. The rep accompanies you on a separate bike and they do not crib on a longish ride as well. I rode an Iron 883 for almost 15-20 kms when I was looking to buy one.

Simplest thing to do is sign an indemnity. Saves the hassle!

I test drove the Bullet last weekend -> the pain the you know where sales person sat behind me and made sure that the TD was less than 1 KM

Yeah riding the TB 500 with someone irritating behind you for less than 1 KM was an awesome TD experience
Old 4th June 2013, 07:30   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
As you rightly said, the problem is at the root. The manufacturer, they should make enough attempts to ensure even if the customer does not intent to buy they should leave the showroom with an everlasting impression.

As an example, 12 years back when i bought my first car. I test drive Honda City VTech (100 BHP), the SA knew i am not looking at a sedan (Couldn't afford one at that time), still when i strolled in he explained the car and gave a TD immediately. That Honda impression lasted on me and after 12 years i bought a Civic.
Very true. They could pre-book a future sale by giving them a WOW experience while they visit the showrooms. With the given competition in market, people are invited to check the vehicles even if they are not interested.

One thing is asking for a little bit of paper work would help getting rid of some time wasters atleast. For example, a phone booking for test ride followed by a phone verification and demand for a license copy after signing the TD form etc?

I understand your frustration; but some of the best vehicles in India were sold through pathetic dealerships. They would not get serious about policing dealerships unless they reach the stage of quit India
Old 4th June 2013, 08:09   #27
J.Ravi

Paying Name:  rupeesymbol.gif
Views: 1258
Size:  578 Bytes500 for the test-ride is ridiculous to say the least. I had many test-rides of RE Desert Storm/TB 500 in Bangalore and Chennai without any fuss. The Chennai Royal Enfield Brand Store went out of way in giving me a test-ride of TB500 without the salesman sitting on my back! He gave me a brand new helmet too. No restriction of any distance. I test-rode for about 2 km in and around Besant Nagar, Chennai. All these courtesies, when the waiting period was more than 4 months.

Old 4th June 2013, 10:30   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
IIRC, there was an incident that occurred sometime in 1920's when someone from the Royal Rajput family had been treated badly by showroom staff at a RR showroom in UK, the sales guy had mistaken him as some poor commoner. When he came back to India, he procured a RR through the regular commission agent and used it to collect Garbage generated in his Palace! This NEWS spread like wildfire amongst the Rajputs in India! When RR learnt what'd happened, their top officials came to India and profusely apologised & requested the RR not be used for garbage collection.
This can be expected by the brands who care about their name in the market and the customers. I think in the first place, DSK did not manage the entire situation well. We understand the intention to keep "fun-drivers" at bay but the tactics or at least the way it is done/ experienced isn't making any good to them. Remember the Audi sports car catching fire in Mumbai? Regardless of what the fault was or issue, first thing Audi did id protected brand by keeping the owner happy and not letting bad-mouth. I think we have a long way to go as brands to build this kind of rapport.
Old 4th June 2013, 11:05   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Probably because of this the test drives are far and few, and the dealership is able to spend more time with the test drivers, who are genuinely interested in the vehicle, and convert them to buyers?
Thats one way to look at it but it's a principle thing as well. Paying 500 bucks for a 10 minute test ride would have me thinking twice. If I was genuinely interested in a Hyosung, I would instead try to find someone else on the local circuit who has the same bike and see if he can lend me the bike for a test ride. That way I also get first hand ownership feedback as well.

Anyways hopefully DSK doesnt get into the retail apparel business. they just might charge you 20 bucks for every shirt that you take to the trial room
Old 4th June 2013, 11:13   #30
Senior - BHPian

When i wanted to upgrade one year back i had taken TD of Duke and Ninja 250. When i requested they let me ride without a pillion. This was my first time in Bajaj showroom on a Sunday, they are not open on Sundays but there was some work going on and luckily the sales person was also present. He even offered me TD of Ninja 650, when i mentioned earlier i was thinking about buying it. Got the bike front of the showroom, but refused to TD as i was sure of not spending that much on bike at that time.

But asking money for TD is really awful, rather they should stop giving TD, if they are so worried about it.

Most Viewed