Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2006, 14:38   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$#
Bangalore used to have dedicated emergency wards for people who met with an accident on a Yamaha. They used to be called the "Yamaha Ward" .
And the Rajdoot Yamaha RD 350 was fondly nicknamed Yamdoot
Old 30th May 2006, 12:17   #17
BHPian

Well Yamaha RX100 is still in production in India in their Faridabad Factory but all those units produced are exported to our neibhouring countries like Nepal, Bhutan with different name (i think it is called Lion or King) n soo
and they are not for sale in india

U can always get one by importing it from Nepal
Old 30th May 2006, 12:21   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo
I guess RX135 is faster(I own one), but never sounded the same. The inner flute(as people call it) of the silencer has changes that gave a different sound with which many were not impressed(including me as I have owned a 90 RX100)
Some mechanics can fiddle around with RX135 silencer to get sound like RX100. I was pissed off when my mechanic did that.
Old 30th May 2006, 19:31   #19
BANNED

from what i have heard its out of this world... RXZ is still on sales in singapore... but RX100,115,RXK r gone for ever... regarding their sales in 3rd world countries... its a new info 4 me....
Old 30th May 2006, 20:26   #20
BHPian

but in singapre i think the rxz is running with a 4 stroke engine
Old 31st May 2006, 04:26   #21
BHPian

According to me the 4 stroke vehicles hitting the market may be the reason. Correct me if i am wrong.....
Old 31st May 2006, 05:00   #22

I agree the reason why yamaha rx 100 production was stopped because of pollution norms and not because of the 4-stroke bikes because we had suzuki shogun at that time which was also 2-stroke. however, soon enough we had 4-stroke bikes and its was then that the govt. decided to stop production on 2-strokes
Old 31st May 2006, 14:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the real Big B
I agree the reason why yamaha rx 100 production was stopped because of pollution norms and not because of the 4-stroke bikes because we had suzuki shogun at that time which was also 2-stroke. however, soon enough we had 4-stroke bikes and its was then that the govt. decided to stop production on 2-strokes
4stroke companies forced the exit of 2 strokes. Primarily HHonda. They didnt have any 2 stroke bikes. Yamaha and TVS lost big time.
Old 31st May 2006, 14:19   #24
BHPian

Rx-100 was stopped just because they were not able to to meet the emission norms...Everything else is utter rubbish and it has nothing to do with robbers using rx-100 as their bikes to snatch chains or whatever ....
Old 31st May 2006, 14:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

Besides the emission norms the competition was getting better with Shogun & KB 125, So they had come up with the RX125(Yes there was a RX 125 though it sold in very few numbers) & then the RXG. I think Shaolin forced them even to get the RX 135 5 speed.
Old 26th August 2009, 14:41   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
Rx-100 was stopped just because they were not able to to meet the emission norms...Everything else is utter rubbish and it has nothing to do with robbers using rx-100 as their bikes to snatch chains or whatever ....

I totally agree with you. In UAE, lots of new RX100 can be seen, mainly used by the delivery guys. They are all imported from India as far as I know. Simply due to strict govt pollution norms, they stopped sale in India.
Old 26th August 2009, 17:17   #27
BHPian

What i'm not understanding is if the RX100 was stopped because of emission problems how come the RX135 was still being sold till a few years ago..RX 100 could also be tuned for a better emission or the 35cc increase was to compensate the loss in power due to modifications done to adhere to emission norms or was the 100 phased out to bring in the 135 or stopped production to prevent cannibalization. beats me
Old 26th August 2009, 20:05   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
I have no idea.

I don't know if they had kept a good stock or something. But the GOI officially stopped 2 stroke prodcution from Y2K.
Even today the old TVS Scooty two stroke is available with a different brand name. Two strokes were not banned but pollution norms progressively became more and more stringent which forced many manufacturers to stop production. The Bajaj Super two stroke came with a small catalytic converter fitted near its muffler. It sold well when the Euro standards came along (It was Euro I).But that muffler/combination could not meet the Euro II norms.So it could have be discontinued.
Old 26th August 2009, 20:12   #29
Senior - BHPian

Yep thanks for pointing out, The Scooty Teenz is still a 2 stroke machine

Check the specs Here
Old 26th August 2009, 21:32   #30
BHPian

Scooty Teenz got permission under "womens reservation bill" ...

Jokes apart. You are right, production of 2stoke engines are not stopped by the government, rather the strict pollution norms forced the producers to stop manufacturing.

A very interestion write up - "Bajaj Auto set to launch 2-stroke engine bikes : BIKE and scooter major Bajaj Auto is all set to bring the two stroke engine bikes back to the Indian market. The legendary two strokes engine technology, which was launched in the early 1990s (Bajaj Chetak, Kawasaki Bajaj 100, ) have already been launched in three-wheelers as Gasoline Direct Injection (GDi), which is superior with increased mileage and substantially less emission. The company is likely to customise the GDi technology for its two-wheeler products in the next few months. Bajaj Auto has introduced direct injection technology (as the GDi name suggest) replacing the carburettor which delivers better fuel efficiency and higher power (torque) than the conventional two-stroke engines. It also meets the stringent emission norms with 50% lower carbon monoxide ((CO) and 25% lower hydrocarbons and nitrous oxides (HC+NOx) than the earlier two stroke engines, which were phased out by two wheeler companies because they failed to meet the required emission norms. A senior Bajaj Auto executive confirmed that the same engine is likely to be strapped on a two wheeler. “It is a big leap in the two stroke technology and we are working to get it on our bikes and other two wheelers. The Gasoline Direct injection (GDi) engine has substantially lower emissions than even alternate clean fuels like CNG and LPG. Additionally, it has lower operating costs than four stroke technology that currently dominates the bike market.” According to sources in the automobile industry, Bajaj is working to combine its proven DTSi technology with the GDi technology on bikes with smaller engines. The company wants to put the same technology in the volume generating 125 cc-150 cc segments as an alternative to the existing four stroke engines. Bajaj Auto is also in the process of developing two wheelers that will run on CNG fuel. The two stroke engine had been a success in the past due to its higher torque (power), faster pickup and better vehicle stability due to the smaller engine. Company officials said that in the GDi technology, the fuel is injected through a common rail fuel line directly into the engine’s combustion chamber where it is completely burnt unlike the conventional carburettor run two-stroke engine which leaves out unburnt fuel and results n higher emission. After successfully launching the GDi-run three wheeler, the company is working on different variations of the technology which can fit into smaller vehicles like bikes and scooters. Some prototypes of the new technology is expected to be unveiled at the upcoming Auto Expo in January (Bajaj Auto set to launch 2-stroke engine bikes - Trade Headlines, Current Business News, News and Current Events, Sme News Archive)"

Regards

Most Viewed