Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2013, 13:06   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bullet Thunderbird TBTS 500 versus KTM Duke 390?

That's cool, equally respected Jimmy_u,

Its the "if true" part of your post I was reacting to.

Am not a fan boy, I do not have any personal gain out of this, nor am I attached to any company, and before I started riding a KTM, I have been a Bulleteer for over a decade, with 3 bikes (all 500s) therein.

So personal bias does not feature in my assessment between these two. I am equally attached to both, more so to my now 11 year old std 500 (the one in my avatar).

That said let me try and help you out with your decision.

If you are already a Bulleteer, think seriously of the 390.

If you are not a Bulleteer, have been riding another bike, and are attracted to the Bullet, then consider owning a Bullet at least once in your life.

Last edited by ebonho : 27th June 2013 at 13:31.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 13:42   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Am not a fan boy, I do not have any personal gain out of this, nor am I attached to any company, and before I started riding a KTM, I have been a Bulleteer for over a decade, with 3 bikes (all 500s) therein.

If you are not a Bulleteer, have been riding another bike, and are attracted to the Bullet, then consider owning a Bullet at least once in your life.
Only after having ridden a Bullet for a considerable period of time and then shifting to a newer bike, do you realise how much RE has been taking you for a ride. That was my view 20 years back and it seems not much (revolutionary) has changed since then.

But I do agree that you should ride a Bullet at least once for a few years in your lifetime. But going back to it again is an overkill.

390 it is for me it seems...
dkaile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 13:54   #78
Senior - BHPian

Folks

An update: I booked a TBTS 500 about a month ago (RE wants me to wait 6-8 months) & the Duke 390 yesterday (Assured delivery on my birthday). Unfortunately, have ridden only the TBTS.

The Duke, I am hoping, will be the 2013 equivalent of the RD350 - fast, brutal & 'cool'. Want to verify this before canceling the TBTS booking. If the Duke is more reliable than the RD then that is icing on the cake. (It HAS to be more reliable than the TBTS).

I should confess, the attitude of the Bullet sales folks is also an important factor - I am yet to test ride a TBTS '500' - rode a TBTS 350 & a Classic 500, twice. THey act as though they are doing you a favour, a major one, for letting you buy the bike.

All told, I think I am going for the Duke. Will confirm after the test ride.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 14:13   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
The Duke, I am hoping, will be the 2013 equivalent of the RD350 - fast, brutal & 'cool'. Want to verify this before canceling the TBTS booking. If the Duke is more reliable than the RD then that is icing on the cake. (It HAS to be more reliable than the TBTS).

I should confess, the attitude of the Bullet sales folks is also an important factor - I am yet to test ride a TBTS '500' - rode a TBTS 350 & a Classic 500, twice. THey act as though they are doing you a favour, a major one, for letting you buy the bike.
Yes, the attitude of the Bullet sales was also a let down for me.

The Duke is NOT exactly a modern day RD350. That bike had a character which was hard to replicate by any other. It can be said to be cross between a Bullet and a 390... lolz. And the RD350 was NOT that reliable either.

The 390 is in a different league all together and is true blooded European street fighter. Reliability will be zero issues with this bike, except a little heat from the engine in city traffic perhaps, and also riding pillon which would best be avoided. I see that they have also covered the radiator with a plastic cladding in the Indian spec 390 seeing our road conditions, to protect it from flying pebbles on our roads, a issue which was faced by one of my friends on his 200 on his road trip to the valley of flowers. And the ABS included in this price is an icing on the cake.
Old 27th June 2013, 14:16   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I see that they have also covered the radiator with a plastic cladding in the Indian spec 390 seeing our road conditions, to protect it from flying pebbles on our roads, a issue which was faced by one of my friends on his 200 on his road trip to the valley of flowers. And the ABS included in this price is an icing on the cake.
That same cladding is there on the 200 as well bro.
Old 27th June 2013, 14:18   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That same cladding is there on the 200 as well bro.
Must have been included at a later date. My friends 200 did not have it and it was from the initial lot. His radiator got punctured but the bike still bought him back to Meerut albeit at a much lower speed to prevent over heating.
Old 27th June 2013, 14:28   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Must have been included at a later date. My friends 200 did not have it and it was from the initial lot. His radiator got punctured but the bike still bought him back to Meerut albeit at a much lower speed to prevent over heating.
Dunno bro. It was there at delivery on Baby Duke 222 which was delivered to me more than a week before the official launch (I think 22nd February 2012) early last year.

Unless there is something else you are referring to?

Bullet Thunderbird TBTS 500 versus KTM Duke 390?-dsc00205.jpg
Old 27th June 2013, 14:36   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unless there is something else you are referring to?
Interesting. That's exactly what I am referring to. Need to cross check with my friend once again whether the pebble pierced with the guard in place or otherwise. I presumed that since a pebble had pierced his radiator, that the guard was not there.

The design is the same as on the 390? Or is there a slight change I am seeing in this picture - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...uke-390020.jpg
Old 27th June 2013, 14:39   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The design is the same as on the 390? Or is there a slight change I am seeing in this picture - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...uke-390020.jpg
The upward sloping horizontal lourves are slightly bulkier. I may be wrong though. Just what I have seen and perceived - never compared the two side by side. Of course the radiator on the 390 is visually bigger -as can be seen clearly.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 15:12   #85
Senior - BHPian

Doc: are the 'crash guards' included in the 390 too? (The black arrow shaped things sticking out)
Old 27th June 2013, 15:31   #86
BHPian

Quote:
I just did a 400 odd kilometer monsoon ride in the ghats with a huge bunch of Bulleteers from the Inddiethumpers and 60kph this weekend (me on the Duke). I am sure most of them would now grudgingly agree to every word above.
Thanks Doc. Today I booked my D390. Paid up 30K. Hopefully I will get the bike in the first lot. Also first time I rode a Duke (200 though), today. Liked it. In a corner I leaned so much that I would not have never dared doing on an RE. I was smiling. Thanks again bro coz I trusted you more than any other armchair pundits who have never owned and ridden an RE and Duke together like you did. I owe you one

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th June 2013 at 15:08. Reason: Fixing quote + please see Team-BHP rule #11. Thanks.
SanthoshK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 15:58   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Doc: are the 'crash guards' included in the 390 too? (The black arrow shaped things sticking out)
Yes they are.

The engine mount pieces on both sides are slightly different (shape/size?) and metallic grey (as against silver) in the 390.

The engine is really unmistakable though. Its significantly bigger than the 200's and fills out the trellis frame surrounded engine bay completely.

To my eye (and those of many other Bulleteers as well) the engine actually looks bigger and bulkier than a Bullet's engine. But fit very compactly space-wise - more vertically than horizontally.

Last edited by ebonho : 27th June 2013 at 16:12.
Old 4th July 2013, 22:39   #88
BHPian

i have recently taken TBTS500 replacing my machismo 500..but when i got to hear KTM 390 bookings getting opened, i immediately jumped with a booking. though i like the cruising TBTS500..wanted 390 for its raw power. the need differs with each of us. so cant really compare these two monsters!
Old 9th July 2013, 12:26   #89
BHPian

Quote:
That's cool, equally respected Jimmy_u,

Its the "if true" part of your post I was reacting to.

So personal bias does not feature in my assessment between these two. I am equally attached to both, more so to my now 11 year old std 500 (the one in my avatar).

That said let me try and help you out with your decision.

If you are already a Bulleteer, think seriously of the 390.

Thanks for the reply Sir,

For now I have decided to Stick with the TBTS 500 which I am expecting by the end of this month, primary reason is that I will be riding with a Pillion (wife) more often and with the Duke that may not be a comfortable situation.

Like you said I have been driving another bike (Caliber Hodibaba 115) for the past 10 years , maintaining it shipshape.

Hopefully I will love and cherish my TBTS for time to come and then look over for another option.

Regards,
Jimmy

Last edited by Jimmy_u : 9th July 2013 at 12:29. Reason: spelling mistake
Jimmy_u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 00:40   #90

Dear Sridhu,
Today I am now ( as we speak ), 39 years, 6 months & 6 days young & Your Dilemma is understood but you are on the safer side as you have narrowed it down to either a Bullet Thunderbird TBTS 500 cc or a KTM Duke 390. " A man without a past may have been herded... Rajesh " & I did have a past with RE Bullet, after my first bike the Yezdi 250 DLX in 89' RX 100, RD 350, Bullet Std all in my stable. But then there was a gap now dully filled with my new Thunderbird, which actually is my daughters birthday present. Go with your heart on these matters, my take on this is that even after 20 yrs from now a Thunderbird will not age... reason .. Classic Genes.
BigCat is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks