Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2013, 18:03   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Scoop Pics : Unidentified Cruiser spotted Testing. EDIT: Harley-Davidson Street 750 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejith.pish View Post
collegue working in the Engine Design field. Based on information from him, Harley is developing a new "India Specific" 800cc Engine w
But why? How many 800 cc motorcycles can you sell in this country to warrant a 'India specific' engine
Old 10th June 2013, 18:41   #32
BANNED

re: Scoop Pics : Unidentified Cruiser spotted Testing. EDIT: Harley-Davidson Street 750 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
But why? How many 800 cc motorcycles can you sell in this country to warrant a 'India specific' engine
I doubt that the engine size will be 800cc. More like 500 to 700. But an India/developing market specific bike from Harley has definitely been in the cards for a while now.

Two and half years ago, on a cold December night, I spent a couple of hours in a tavern off Juneau Ave. in Milwaukee with a couple of guys from corporate HD, one of them, an old college buddy of mine. We talked about the new bike planned. Not so much the details, but the general ideas, and the hurdles being faced by the Company to do it.

I am not saying the bike spotted is a Harley, but there is a high chance it is.

Cheers.

Ride Safe
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2013, 19:22   #33
BHPian

Quote:
How many 800 cc motorcycles can you sell in this country to warrant a 'India specific' engine
Harley sells around 1500 units a year
Almost all premium bikes available in India are CKDs. So a home-made premium bike is some sort of a blue ocean. Nearest example we have is the Royal Enfield. RE has sold almost 1.15Lac bikes the last year & it has seen a rise in sales by a wopping 55% during the last year compared to 2011.

Yes, an 800CC engine would defenitely be bulky for a market like India, however a Harley Davidson at (say) 4 Lacs would be tempting.

Heres another Rumor regarding the engine;
this time Motor Beam predicts a 500cc V-Twin:
http://www.motorbeam.com/bikes/harle...in-india-bike/
Old 11th June 2013, 08:37   #34
Team-BHP Support

This is what a member in a US based forum has to say about this

Quote:
And to me it looks like a Honda cruiser, it has several "Shadow Spirit" styling cues.

Some speculate that it might be one of the new small HDs, but I doubt it, it is watercooled and all of HD's watercooled engine patents are for the big twins, not about an all new small twin.
Old 11th June 2013, 10:02   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
This is what a member in a US based forum has to say about this
That prominent yellow fan is doing it's job of confusing spotters.

Have a look around for water/oil cooled cruisers. Most of them at the most have a radiator which they try very hard to conceal into the frame somehow. How many of them have you seen with fans? Hardly any I can think of. Even the ones that have fans, are hidden well and out of sight. Firstly, it would go against the Cruiser styling theme, and secondly, an open engined frame layout (without much fairing) does not usually warrant the need for forced cooling from fan. And most importantly, adds to the cost.

The Shadow Spirit has different rake angle, and a prominent speedo on the tank. Havent seen any with alloys either. The rear migh look familiar, but that's about it. The V twin angle, the suspension placement, rake, all different.

Cheers

Ride Safe.

Last edited by gthang : 11th June 2013 at 10:12.
Old 11th June 2013, 10:30   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
How many of them have you seen with fans? Hardly any I can think of. Even the ones that have fans, are hidden well and out of sight.
Do you mean to say some have radiators but no fans? This is news to me. I thought if there is a radiator, there will automatically be a fan, though not visible from outside.
Old 11th June 2013, 10:48   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Do you mean to say some have radiators but no fans? This is news to me. I thought if there is a radiator, there will automatically be a fan, though not visible from outside.
Please don't grill me on semantics.

Oil coolers usually dont have fans, radiators may or may not have fans, I am not an expert to comment on that, but the point I was making is that they are usually well hidden, and not a bright yellow on a matt black bike.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
Old 11th June 2013, 11:05   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have a look around for water/oil cooled cruisers. Most of them at the most have a radiator which they try very hard to conceal into the frame somehow. How many of them have you seen with fans? Hardly any I can think of. Even the ones that have fans, are hidden well and out of sight. Firstly, it would go against the Cruiser styling theme, and secondly, an open engined frame layout (without much fairing) does not usually warrant the need for forced cooling from fan. And most importantly, adds to the cost.
Well, you sounded pretty authoritative there, and you are also an engineer, hence my doubt!

Oil cooled bikes (btw all air cooled bikes are "oil cooled" afaik!) have what is called an "inter cooler" I believe; though it may look like a small radiator. I have never seen one with a fan. Because they are still air cooled engines.

Radiators, on the other hand, will most definitely need a fan. Because they are fitted to liquid cooled engines, and forced air cooling will not take place when the bike is stationary.

Last edited by Gansan : 11th June 2013 at 11:11.
Old 11th June 2013, 11:30   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Well, you sounded pretty authoritative there, and you are also an engineer, hence my doubt!

Oil cooled bikes (btw all air cooled bikes are "oil cooled" afaik!) have what is called an "inter cooler" I believe; though it may look like a small radiator. I have never seen one with a fan. Because they are still air cooled engines.

Radiators, on the other hand, will most definitely need a fan. Because they are fitted to liquid cooled engines, and forced air cooling will not take place when the bike is stationary.
Like I said, you are grilling me on semantics.

So, from one authority to another, maybe you can find the oil cooler or "intercooler" for me on my Harley Nightster. Save me a couple of hundred bucks I was planning to spend for an aftermarket "Oil Cooler".

Cheers

Ride Safe.
Old 11th June 2013, 12:21   #40
Senior - BHPian

could this be the Yamaha Bolt?

http://www.bsmotoring.com/photo_deta...tono=6520&ky=1

other than the tailpiece (which could be a dummy on the test bikes) the other aspects seem to match.

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 11th June 2013 at 12:23.
Old 11th June 2013, 15:35   #41
Senior - BHPian

Looks very much like the bike featured here, the Star Bolt:

http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/general-...torcycles.html
Old 11th June 2013, 16:48   #42
Senior - BHPian

Regarding the saree guard, I'd be damned if anybody could coax a lady in a saree to sit as a pillion on that mystery bike.
Old 12th June 2013, 12:33   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
Regarding the saree guard, I'd be damned if anybody could coax a lady in a saree to sit as a pillion on that mystery bike.
It will be present only to make it road legal. Funny thing is even the single seat bikes need it.
Old 12th June 2013, 19:22   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I doubt that the engine size will be 800cc. More like 500 to 700. But an India/developing market specific bike from Harley has definitely been in the cards for a while now.

Two and half years ago, on a cold December night, I spent a couple of hours in a tavern off Juneau Ave. in Milwaukee with a couple of guys from corporate HD, one of them, an old college buddy of mine. We talked about the new bike planned. Not so much the details, but the general ideas, and the hurdles being faced by the Company to do it.
Oh how I would love to be a part of that conversation!

Anyways, I would expect Harley to focus more on other 'small premium' bike markets like EU and Japan primarily along with India/Brazil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
How many people check for a bike's identity before they sit on it?

Last edited by Mpower : 12th June 2013 at 19:24.
Old 12th June 2013, 19:47   #45
BHPian

Quote:
How many people check for a bike's identity before they sit on it?
I think AyAn!'s statement was related to the (lack of) pillion seat.
mohit is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks