Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2013, 22:16   #1
BHPian

Old Bike / Scooter: Sell Parts, Scrap or duplicate RC?

So here goes the story and dilemma :
I had bought 2004 Honda Activa from a dealer in Hyderabad. Then I shifted to Pune and from 2005 I have been moving around world due to projects.
The Activa is driven for about 25000 kms and is serviced every one year due to its low usage. Over these years of movement the registration card, receipt and all other papers are no where to be found. It has AP number plate.
I know its my fault and I should have stored the papers safely

It has developed some starting problems but when it starts it drives like a charm. No problem with suspension or any other wierd noises.

Now I want to get rid of Activa. So what are my options ?

Option 1 : Apply for duplicate registration card, Pay road tax & get all papers in order and then sell it. However I dont have the motivation to go through all this pain for a 10 year old vehicle which may fetch less than 10K. I am sure I may have to grease few hands to get all the papers in order as well.

Option 2 : Talk to a service center. Remove all the parts of the vehicle and sell off the parts

Option 3 : Scrap it

Need suggestions of fellow t-bhp members.

If I go with option 2 which service center in pune will help me in disposing of the good parts?

Has anybody done option 3 of scrapping a vehicle in scrap yard?

Appreciate your time reading this post. Waiting for suggestions and comments.
Old 14th June 2013, 01:43   #2
BHPian

re: Honda Activa without Papers: Sell Parts, Scrap or duplicate RC?

Option 4: Donate it to a charitable institution. But again will they accept without valid papers?

My intent here is not to make money. Just want to make sure this vehicle doesn't fall in wrong hands or I dont get into trouble with the law for driving without papers.

Last edited by aah78 : 30th September 2016 at 17:50. Reason: Typo.
Old 14th June 2013, 08:56   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanedar View Post
I had bought 2004 Honda Activa from a dealer in Hyderabad. Then I shifted to Pune and from 2005 I have been moving around world due to projects.
The Activa is driven for about 25000 kms and is serviced every one year due to its low usage. Over these years of movement the registration card, receipt and all other papers are no where to be found. It has AP number plate.
I know its my fault and I should have stored the papers safely

It has developed some starting problems but when it starts it drives like a charm. No problem with suspension or any other wierd noises.

Now I want to get rid of Activa. So what are my options ?

Option 1 : Apply for duplicate registration card, Pay road tax & get all papers in order and then sell it. However I dont have the motivation to go through all this pain for a 10 year old vehicle which may fetch less than 10K. I am sure I may have to grease few hands to get all the papers in order as well.

Option 2 : Talk to a service center. Remove all the parts of the vehicle and sell off the parts

Option 3 : Scrap it

Need suggestions of fellow t-bhp members.

If I go with option 2 which service center in pune will help me in disposing of the good parts?

Has anybody done option 3 of scrapping a vehicle in scrap yard?

Appreciate your time reading this post. Waiting for suggestions and comments.
Even for scrapping it youll need papers for it.I think someone from the RTO or police has to certify it being scrapped.not sure about the details.

For getting duplicate papers, you can claim theft or damage.it can be done long distance if you know anyone in the RTO jurisdiction of your activa purchase.it might cost about 1000-1500 rs. But it can be done.

Selling for parts- youll probably have to sell it for whatever youre offered.used parts dealers buy at scrap value.

A 2004 bajaj chetak with papers was bought by my mechanic for 14 k and people were offering 17.5 k for it immediately.done 18k kms.

Im sure if your activa is well maintained, itd be worth it to get duplicate papers.a new one almost costs 70 k
Old 14th June 2013, 08:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Is the scooter currently in Pune or is it in AP?

No matter what option you want to pursue, I think you should first file a police report that the papers are lost. Get the acknowledgement and keep it safe.

Then, I would recommend that you sell it off to a mechanic. When you do, ensure that you get him to sign a sale certificate with his correct name & address, and keep that safe as well.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 14th June 2013 at 08:59. Reason: grammar
Old 14th June 2013, 09:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

I don't think the registration papers are required to scrap a vehicle. They are required to ensure the vehicle entry is suitably updated in the RTO records so that nobody else misuses the registration number.

In your case, I think the logical option seems to be what KiloAlpha has suggested. File a complaint with the local police station about the original papers being missing, and get a copy of the complaint / FIR. This will protect you in the off-chance that somebody got the original papers and is misusing it. Plus it will also help in case you or the purchaser of your vehicle wants to approach the RTO for duplicate papers.

And you could probably hire an agent to follow up with the RTO for duplicate papers. That would be the "best" option.
Old 14th June 2013, 09:27   #6
BHPian

Reg papers are required to scrap a vehicle.

Option 2 is dangerous as the mechanic will think you stole the bike and now trying to sell it in parts. He might even call cops on it. Forget it.

ask a local agent about the procedure. eg if you are in pune, tell the guy the bike is Pune reg. (he won't talk to you if he comes to know that he won't get any business from you)

I'd suggest
first calculate the cost of getting all the papers, incl bribes. then your time and efforts in that. also the RC book is sent via registered POST at the address mentioned on it. If you are not at that place, then it might create some problem.

for insurance, don't worry about it. if you can get RC book, insurance is no simple matter of a one day, wherever you are in country. Get a new 3rd party insurance from any company. it's about 450/- + 100 commission to the agent. easy.
Old 14th June 2013, 10:43   #7
BHPian

Quote:
it drives like a charm. No problem with suspension or any other wierd noises.
Now I want to get rid of Activa.
So exactly why do you want to get rid of it, given the fact that it's in good condition?

My 1$:
1. First and foremost, get all papers in order even if it requires palm-greasing
2. Find a place for it either in your own or some relatives' garage (Someone whos' not likely to move out), take requisite measures for long term parking and store it there.
3. Keep insurance etc renewed and check on it once in a while

Someday, you'll find use for it and you'll be glad not to have to spend 60Gs buying an activa again!!
Old 14th June 2013, 11:25   #8
BHPian

Quote:
1st of all, you will definitely need all your papers for scrapping it.
The procedure is to 1st inform the police that you are scrapping your scooter which will again require all documents and only then the scrap-guy will take it to scrap or do whatever he wants.

Here in Mumbai there are other ways like if you know the scrapper personally then he will oblige and do the scrapping right in front of you (this involves cutting all essential parts like engine block etc.)
If it happens in front of your eyes, then you are rest assured that your scooter won't be misused by anyone and in this you by-pass the police formalities.

OT-My dad's 20 yr old Vespa was replaced by the Maestro a few months back and we wanted to scrap it. But, it being 20 yrs old, when we enquired about the scrapping formalities with our RTO guy, he said we will also need the "Green-Tax" Certificate which comes up to around 4-5k.
Now spending 4k on green tax was not at all feasible cuz, we won't even get that much through scrapping.
So, we were going to get it scrapped with our known-scrapper.(would have been in front of our eyes, cutting the engine block in many parts etc.) but then I asked him to keep it and will refurbish it when I have the required Moolah

-Bhargav
Old 14th June 2013, 20:52   #9
BHPian

Re: Honda Activa without Papers: Sell Parts, Scrap or duplicate RC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Is the scooter currently in Pune or is it in AP?
as well.
The Activa is in Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I don't think the registration papers are required to scrap a vehicle. They are required to ensure the vehicle entry is suitably updated in the RTO records so that nobody else misuses the registration number.

And you could probably hire an agent to follow up with the RTO for duplicate papers. That would be the "best" option.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionfreak View Post
Reg papers are required to scrap a vehicle.

Option 2 is dangerous as the mechanic will think you stole the bike and now party insurance from any company. it's about 450/- + 100 commission to the agent. easy.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiv View Post
So exactly why do you want to get rid of it, given the fact that

Someday, you'll find use for it and you'll be glad not to have to spend 60Gs buying an activa again!!
I want to sell it because wifey doesnt want to ride a 10 year old heavy vehicle now. I was looking to buy the new activa i which has been launched when I return to india next month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
1st of all, you will definitely need all your papers for scrapping it.
The procedure is to 1st inform the police that you are scrapping your scooter

-Bhargav
Thanks for sharing your experience. Will definitely consider this while deciding what to do with activa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Even for scrapping it youll need papers for it.I

Im sure if your activa is well maintained, itd be worth it to get duplicate papers.a new one almost costs 70 k
Thanks for your suggestions.

From all the above suggestions it seems that first I will have to file a police complaint just to be on safe side and then try to get duplicate RC to follow any of the options which I have listed.

Does any one know any good mechanic in Pune who deals with used parts?
Old 15th June 2013, 19:12   #10
BHPian

Re: Honda Activa without Papers: Sell Parts, Scrap or duplicate RC?

@ drsingh new Activa for 70 thousand! I just checked the price and it certainly is not that costly. The new Vespa may be but not the activa.

@OP, i would suggest you get the papers and put it for sale online or try of you can get good exchange value for a new one. If you are feeling charitable, donate it to some temple or charity but make sure that proper transfer etc takes place. It will help you feel good that the less used machine is being put to good use and is contributing back to society for the O2 it burns from atmosphere...
Old 21st June 2013, 22:49   #11
BHPian

What to do with '87 TVS Suzuki Max100?

My father currently owns an AP registered 1987 TVS Suzuki Max100 that still runs well and returns nearly 50kmpl. It is his first and only bike ever. After the registration expiry in '02, it was extended for 5 more years until '07. He didn't bother with another extension since it was being used in a township (out of AP), and he rarely took it out.

So, this month he retires and is wondering what he can do to legally ply the 2-stroke motorcycle on Hyderabad's roads. He's afraid the RTO won't let him ply a vehicle this old. However, I've seen a few restored bikes on this forum and a lot of unsafe and smoke-spewing old rickety motorcycles on the roads so I'm sure there must be a way. If no way out, he plans to scrap it.

Appreciate your advice and information. In return, I am going to tempt you with a restoration thread (if the bikes makes it through).

Thanks!
Old 22nd June 2013, 00:13   #12
BHPian

Re: What to do with '87 TVS Suzuki Max100?

hellmet, I would say, if you can afford then go ahead with the formalities of getting the registration re-done but I would like to add 1 thing.

Here in Mumbai, a few years back when my dad extended the registration of our '91 Vespa, our RTO guy informed us to get the "Green Tax" Papers too.
This is for all vehicles which are older than a particular number of years (I do not remember the figure, more than 15 maybe. not sure).

But if the rule applies in Hyderabad too then you will have to get the green-tax certificate too. It costs around 4K, this is what we were stated. Do check it with someone. And it needs to be renewed after a few years.
So one more recurring expense.

Just to add, we didn't pay the green tax and my dad used the scooter without any problems from the RTO whatsoever. Actually the green tax should had been paid by us much earlier but we were just not aware of any such taxes so we opted to continue riding it as it is.
He rode the Vespa without GT for atleast 5-6 years.

The Vespa was in good condition, didn't throw out "attention-drawing" smoke and my dad being a sedate rider + a senior citizen so he didn't face much trouble from RTO.
Although now it is replaced by the Maestro cuz it delivered very less mileage and had started giving quite a few problems too.

-Bhargav

Last edited by Octane_Power : 22nd June 2013 at 00:15.
Octane_Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2013, 11:47   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
My father currently owns an AP registered 1987 TVS Suzuki Max100 that still runs well and returns nearly 50kmpl. It is his first and only bike ever.
There never was a TVS Suzuki MAX 100 in the 80's. Your dad probably has a TVS-Suzuki AX100
jalex77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2013, 12:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
So, this month he retires and is wondering what he can do to legally ply the 2-stroke motorcycle on Hyderabad's roads. He's afraid the RTO won't let him ply a vehicle this old.
Restore it, re-register it and ride it! Two strokes are extinct now. Save the AX100 please.

It is going to be a bit expensive - pending road tax, FC renewal, green tax etc. Check out how much it would cost you. If its too high and you dont think it is worth spending so much, give it away to someone who finds it worth it. Please dont give it to the scrap wallah. If you cannot find a buyer, pm me.

Cheers!
Viju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2013, 12:06   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalex77 View Post
There never was a TVS Suzuki MAX 100 in the 80's. Your dad probably has a TVS-Suzuki AX100
You're probably right. It's been a while since I looked at it so I don't remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Restore it, re-register it and ride it! Two strokes are extinct now. Save the AX100 please.
Re-registration would be 15 years, or just 5 year extensions? We really want to keep it, unless it is insanely difficult to do so.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks