Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2013, 00:46   #1516
BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lark63 View Post
Got the bike serviced today. (first free service).
One observation is that engine sounds smoother and vibes are less. But to drive at the same speed, the rpm shoots much higher as compared to earlier. Is it a good thing or a bad thing for mileage ?
The heating appears to have gone up again or is it only my imagination ! Any feed backs on this ? I was there while it was being serviced and I don't think chain was adjusted. It was only lubricated.
Hey Lark, the rpm to speed in every gear cannot change after a service. Infact 1st service what they did with my bike was,
wash the bike, change the engine oil, oil strainer and oil filter, adjusted the chain slackness, adjusted the accelerator lever free play ( on my insistence), check battery, coolant levels, vacuum under the seats, grease some points, tighten all the bolts and that's it. I believe that is what they do at service as
I was there throughout the service. I was surprised to note how clean the whole work area was. Just a few bolts removed and fitted back. That's it

Regarding chain slackening, check if it is really slack. I think the play should be about 3mm-5mm. there is a sticker on the bike indicating the same. you can just tug the chain with your finger and see if the play is more. If it is more then adjustment is required else not necessary and only lubrication is done
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20131122_145610-copy.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20131122_152946-copy.jpg  

ashkamath is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2013, 10:06   #1517
BHPian

Guys, come across this ad on TOI that KTM is arranging an Orange Day motorsport event at Kharadi, Pune on 13th Dec. I've started a new thread here.
Old 13th December 2013, 11:09   #1518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSpoke View Post
Guys, come across this ad on TOI that KTM is arranging an Orange Day motorsport event at Kharadi, Pune on 13th Dec. I've started a new thread here.
Yup, we had an orange day event at Goa on last Saturday, 07th. It was fun filled event, racing, stunts, some collisions, falls.. was an enjoyable week end.
Guys at Pune, take part in the race. It will be on some Go karting venue and it is not about speed,( of course in a Go kart track with all those bends and U turns one can't race a Duke actually) it is more of your riding skills, the way you take a corner, braking etc..
Enjoy and Have fun
Old 13th December 2013, 11:25   #1519
BHPian

Please note its on 14th Dec, not a very good idea to restrict entry to KTM owners+family/friend.

Source: FB fanpage link for the event.

Elements Of The Day:

Ride Clinic: The day begins with selected KTM owners who shall get a chance to learn the basics of racing on racetrack from one the country's best race rider. This will be a classroom and a practical session for the riders. Fastest riders shall be identified. *

Service Camp: Have something you would want us to look into? Hop over to our KTM Service Camp and get your bike a free checkup!

Enjoy the KTM experience: Get a chance to meet your fellow KTM fans from the city and together celebrate Orange!

Entry: The entry is only open to owners of KTM 200 Duke and limited 390 Duke customers, Each KTM owner though is welcome to invite one friend/family AND one fellow biker.

*Please note that only select riders would be eligible for racing basis:
1. Registering for the event as a Participant.
2. Reaching the venue on time at 6:00 PM for registrations. Registrations will close at 6:30 PM.
3. Availability of Safety Gear (Full Face Helmet, Riding Jacket with protection for back shoulder and elbows, Gloves and Riding boots/ankle length shoes)
Limited Riding Kits would be made available at the venue. Available on First come first serve basis.
Kit would include - Knee guards. Will not include Riding Jackets, Gloves, Helmet and Riding Boots.

Those who don't have the KTM Racing T-shirts can rush to their nearest KTM Outlet or we will make the KTM Racing T-shirts available at the venue for sale.

For any doubt or query, please call at:

Bund Garden KTM - 9158894071

Wakdewadi KTM - 9665925029

Look forward to seeing you at KTM Orange Day Pune!
Old 13th December 2013, 11:52   #1520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@Ebobho and others,

Do you guys feel a difference between your standard fuel and say premium fuel? I am using only standard all these days but i am feeling a turbo like effect where the bike rides smoothly to speeds but when you do full throttle, there is definitely a pause before the bike comes to life. On gradual speeds it comfortably hits speeds without any fuss but.

Anyone else felt this and do you think i should test it with speed petrol for sometime?
This turbo like effect is most probably due to an air filter that needs to be cleaned (or changed).

Other causes that have been reported, but which cannot be reasonably implicated is such new bikes, are clogged injectors, faulty puel pump, and most importantly (and commonly - thanks to our fuel quality), clogged fuel filter.

Even more remote - faulty spark plug gap/worn out plug, some error code in your ECU, weak/run down battery.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2013, 12:57   #1521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Other causes that have been reported, but which cannot be reasonably implicated is such new bikes, are clogged injectors, faulty puel pump, and most importantly (and commonly - thanks to our fuel quality), clogged fuel filter.
Doc,

Will they be cleaning the fuel filter during the service? Or do we have to insist on it?
Old 13th December 2013, 13:04   #1522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Doc,

Will they be cleaning the fuel filter during the service? Or do we have to insist on it?
I don't remember the mechanic cleaning the fuel filter during the service. have to check this out.

Last edited by ashkamath : 13th December 2013 at 13:11.
Old 13th December 2013, 13:15   #1523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Doc,

I don't recall bro. If its there on the service to do list, then they should do it. Basically, the symptoms of the lag are there in the new re-mapped Dukes (at least in the 200s). The fact that it was happening in my bike (after months of no usage admittedly) was worrying.

In typical Bullet vernacular parlance, it is "hawa pakadna" when you whack open the throttle. KTM guys are usually very bemused by Bulleteer-Duke combo riders.

The fuel pressure was low (measured in bars) so that pointed to a cloged fuel filter. And surprisingly, in spite of stationary storage, even the air filter was clogged. Marked change cleaning of both made. Bike jumps and hops like before (something I have always loved about the baby 200 over the more "mature" 390).

Last edited by ebonho : 13th December 2013 at 13:25.
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2013, 13:24   #1524
BHPian

Guys, got this self study Module for 390 over net. the doc pretty much gives an exploded view of many of the systems in the engine. Just for academic purpose..

http://www.ktm.com/fileadmin/user_up...SSM_902_EN.pdf
ashkamath is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 13th December 2013, 13:30   #1525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Guys, got this self study Module for 390 over net. the doc pretty much gives an exploded view of many of the systems in the engine. Just for academic purpose..

Fantastic find Ashok! Would definitely helps us 200 riders as well. Thanks for sharing.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2013, 14:04   #1526
BHPian

Wasn't Sure where to post this. But hope this is true.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...ied/24161.html

The design of the swing arm gives us hope that this could be the 390 we are waiting for.
Old 13th December 2013, 14:06   #1527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I don't recall bro. If its there on the service to do list, then they should do it. Basically, the symptoms of the lag are there in the new re-mapped Dukes (at least in the 200s). The fact that it was happening in my bike (after months of no usage admittedly) was worrying.

In typical Bullet vernacular parlance, it is "hawa pakadna" when you whack open the throttle. KTM guys are usually very bemused by Bulleteer-Duke combo riders.
Going for 1st service tomoro. Will check the To-Do list and pester them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post

Thanks a lot for this ashkamath! Good find. Now I have to find a reason to explain to my manager why no work was done for the second half of the day!
Old 13th December 2013, 15:06   #1528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The fuel pressure was low (measured in bars) so that pointed to a cloged fuel filter. And surprisingly, in spite of stationary storage, even the air filter was clogged. Marked change cleaning of both made. Bike jumps and hops like before (something I have always loved about the baby 200 over the more "mature" 390).
Thanks Doc, and i am thinking more in the lines of fuel being the culprit here and so either the fuel filter or event the fuel pump. On my to journey the bike was perfect, i filled up in IOC and post that i did notice the "tourqeish" feeling.

Is it a DIY to check and change ? May be i will take it to service centre to get this checked but weekend its always full.
Old 13th December 2013, 15:50   #1529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Thanks Doc, and i am thinking more in the lines of fuel being the culprit here and so either the fuel filter or event the fuel pump. On my to journey the bike was perfect, i filled up in IOC and post that i did notice the "tourqeish" feeling.

Is it a DIY to check and change ? May be i will take it to service centre to get this checked but weekend its always full.
Not at all a DIY bro. Both fuel pressure as well as volume testing. Special instruments involved. And the fuel pump and filter are both inside the fuel tank. Please refer to pages 8 and 9 of the excellent PDF shared by Ashok above. Fantastic find once again!
Old 13th December 2013, 20:52   #1530
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Absolutely true. Whenever my service advisor rode, he didn't hear the sound. When I rode pillion with him (never getting on that seat ever again in my life, even the 954's pillion seat is more comfy) it refused to show up. We switched places, refused to show up. I rode alone and a few kms later the khach khach sound started again. Very very very annoying.
i think i cracked that. Experienced the same, that is much much reduced shain slap sound with a pillion. I guess its got to do with chain tightness. with a pillion, the chain gets slightly tightened automatically, hence no/reduced chain slap sound. Not sure, but i guess thats how it was for bulls.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks