Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2014, 17:59   #1711
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I saw some oil seeping from the engine Took my bike to KTM Service Centre. They checked and finally we found the oil is come from the rivet in the Engine oil Tank near to Oil inlet Cap. They simply sealed with Ana-bond & Engine Sealant.
Till now I am not facing any the oil seeping. If it comes later, plan to change the side casing.
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-image4273893659.jpg
Old 1st January 2014, 18:10   #1712
BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Total cost 450. 43 for the throttle from pulsar and 400 for the cam mod.
The Pulsar throttle cost me Rs 85 in Pune, did you get it from the Authorized spare shop?
Old 1st January 2014, 20:49   #1713
Senior - BHPian

Here is the exact mod

And regarding
Quote:
The Pulsar throttle cost me Rs 85 in Pune, did you get it from the Authorized spare shop?
Even here the cost is same. But i couldnt get one. Instead took the inner sleeve of a normal pulsar throttle and added my apache grip over it. Five minute job in reality

Nothing changes in your riding style. The biggest gain is you can full throttle at your will and dont have to do a full throttle + a little more to get to the actual full throttle.

City or outside this mod stays
VW2010 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2014, 03:06   #1714
BHPian

Quote:
Here is the exact mod
Thats a neat video. Could you show a before & after by comparing it on 2 390s. Did you gopro this while you were working on the DIY.
I like the apache grips they much more comfortable.
What is that round orange thing next to your speedo?
Old 4th January 2014, 09:53   #1715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is the exact mod
What is the split black ring you snap over the original pulley? Where do you get that from? Or rather, how/from where do you fashion that? It might be a good idea to Feviquik it into place to prevent it from moving around or sideways internally, and messing with the cable action.
Old 4th January 2014, 12:04   #1716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
What is the split black ring you snap over the original pulley? Where do you get that from? Or rather, how/from where do you fashion that? It might be a good idea to Feviquik it into place to prevent it from moving around or sideways internally, and messing with the cable action.
The throttle cam ring is made by a guy from Mumbai Dhaval Mahidharia. Contact him on his facebook page https://www.facebook.com/dhavaljm/photos
I used araldite to glue it to the throttle.
motorhead666 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2014, 13:42   #1717
BHPian

While checking out VW2010s Throttle mod, I came across this video about Nitro going all out on Mangalore-Bangalore highway. Superb road and superb riding.

and what fascinates me is his statement that he still had some throttle left while doing 173 Kmph. There is another 390 in the video keeping up with Nitro at similar speeds.

I believe his bike is stock and in that case what is the top speed of a 390?
ashkamath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2014, 13:52   #1718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Highest I have heard of is 178. That's within 20 kmph of the top speed of a Duke 690. Boggles the mind.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2014, 15:32   #1719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
While checking out VW2010s Throttle mod, I came across this video about Nitro going all out on Mangalore-Bangalore highway. Superb road and superb riding.

and what fascinates me is his statement that he still had some throttle left while doing 173 Kmph. There is another 390 in the video keeping up with Nitro at similar speeds.

This road is really well kept and in very good state. It is a comparitively new expressway connecting Bangalore to Hassan., but a dangerous road since dogs and humans cross at their own will and there was a very bad crash involving 3 cars killing many just few days ago.
This road even before being a 4 laned road, used to see cars doing high speeds and now there are hardly any cars doing less than 120-130kmph.

I had done a trip to North Kerala on SandeepMohans 390 a week ago via this road and was keeping a steady 105-110. For a few kms I was at 125 which intantly gave me a neck ache so I slowed it back.
What I am wondering is how these guys are at 150+ and sitting upright at those speeds . I ducked down with my chin just above the keyhole and did some good speed which felt super!
I am Bullet guy, so that trip really was in another level. Will post the trip report in few hours.
Old 4th January 2014, 16:22   #1720
BHPian

Faced the first real problem with the bike after 5K kms and 3 Months. It happenned as I shifted down one and gave throttle, it just died on me as if there was no petrol, it stuttered and turned off and the engine light lit up. Thankfully I hit the clutch a the right time and pulled to the side. Switched off and back on, and everything was fine.

My concern is that if this happens again and the wheel locks up when I'm already at a decent speed, it can be catastrophic and cause an accident. Suddenly my trust level has dipped a bit till I find what caused it.
Old 4th January 2014, 16:35   #1721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus_the_virus View Post
Faced the first real problem with the bike after 5K kms and 3 Months. It happenned as I shifted down one and gave throttle, it just died on me as if there was no petrol, it stuttered and turned off and the engine light lit up. Thankfully I hit the clutch a the right time and pulled to the side. Switched off and back on, and everything was fine.
Similar experience with me. My bike too has done similar distance, about 4600 on odo and completing 2 months tomorrow. This happened about 10 days back. I was negotiating the traffic at Porvorim overtaking some cars and in the process shifted from 3rd to 2nd and in spite of throttling, the engine simply died and bike stalled and I was stranded in the middle of the road. and the bike would not start in spite of repeated pressing the starter button. Luckily no vehicle was coming from the opposite side and I pushed my bike to a side lane across the road. In fact at that moment I felt extremely embarrassed more than anything. I had just overtaken a few bikes and a long line of cars and now I looked like a total novice who had mistimed his speed/gear and stalled the bike.
The bike started normally thereafter and I forgot the whole issue.

I have seen another issue in my bike. It would not start if it is in gear (say 1st or 2nd) and I depress the clutch and press the starter button. I have tried many times and then I shift to Neutral and the bike starts. I dont know if anyone has faced this issue.
Old 5th January 2014, 10:11   #1722
BHPian

Just an FYI for everyone. Watch out for slight oil smudge at the edge of the tire. This is from the sprocket. Although it is considerably negligent and I thought it wouldn't be a problem till I took a u turn and lost the tail a bit! It hit me then that the small oil slick on the tire at the edge was the cause. Wiped it down with a tissue.

Watch out everyday before you start your ride, a small loss of rear grip in a corner can lead to devastating results.
Cyrus_the_virus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2014, 11:36   #1723
BHPian

I have seen another issue in my bike. It would not start if it is in gear (say 1st or 2nd) and I depress the clutch and press the starter button. I have tried many times and then I shift to Neutral and the bike starts. I dont know if anyone has faced this issue.

I experienced this on my bike a day after I tried replacing my clutch lever with an aftermarket. Although I did not end up getting the aftermarket, after I reinstalled the original lever, the bike refused to start in any gear. I removed the clutch lever again and found that the switch had been improperly installed when reinstalling the lever. Also noticed that it is easy for grease to get onto the contact points which will also have the same result. I suggest you remove the switch next to the lever, clean it up and that should do the trick. Hope that works

Last edited by Ragtop : 5th January 2014 at 11:37. Reason: quote not clear
Ragtop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2014, 19:26   #1724
BHPian

People, as I read posts about bike stalling and the "bike refusing to start" kind of issues, I have given my bike to the service center for the same issue. I had the clutch issue from the day I bought it and that was rectified soon - an assembly issue.

Since the last few days, the bike stalls abruptly in any gear. It feels like the injections were cut off abruptly many a times. The bike stalled in 1st, 2nd and higher gears as well. I had many a moments in the city and had the greatest of 'em all on the Mangalore Highway when I was cruising at highway speeds.

I am petrified with this problem and now the bike is in Khivraj motors for a check. The mechanic Ravi tells me that is because of the connectors from battery which happens to be loose due to some bent pins. God knows how this can happen on a new bike. The battery is not charging and I noticed from the sound of the Horn. My 4th visit to the service center for repairs. Hopefully, this is the last, but honestly I am disappointed. Why shouldn't I be?

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 6th January 2014 at 15:23. Reason: Post edited. Please do NOT mention high speeds on public roads, we are quite clear about this in our rules.
Old 5th January 2014, 22:54   #1725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus_the_virus View Post

My concern is that if this happens again and the wheel locks up when I'm already at a decent speed, it can be catastrophic and cause an accident. Suddenly my trust level has dipped a bit till I find what caused it.
Exactly the same happened with me today. My bike has clocked 6400 kms and for the first time the bike stalled when I downshifted at a speed breaker. I lost my company as I was riding last in the row. (Rode to Thenmala with fellow xbhpians ) I did a fresh ignition cycle and the bike started normally without any hassles. The issue haven't recurred for the whole trip.
Fingers crossed.

Last edited by junaid12345678 : 5th January 2014 at 22:56.

Most Viewed