Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2014, 20:59   #1741
BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Thanks Added_flavor. Is'nt Nightbreaker is a bit on the blueish side? Can you please let me know from where you have procured it in Bangalore. And also the cost.

Thanks.
I'm yet to try it on buddy. But yes, I have read it's a little on white/bluish side.

This is where I got it from. Well packed and delivered in 4 days at INR 900 for a pair.
Added_flavor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 23:25   #1742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post

I'm yet to try it on buddy. But yes, I have read it's a little on white/bluish side.
Can you please give us a small review after you install it? I was also thinking of a headlamp upgrade.
And can someone recommend a decent horn too? The ones I got with the bike are really pathetic.
Old 9th January 2014, 00:12   #1743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post
can someone recommend a decent horn too? The ones I got with the bike are really pathetic.
I have checked a bike in SVC with single VW cars horn in the stock location replacing the existing one. Sound is great and I too plan to change the same.
aks_karthik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 10:18   #1744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sound is great and I too plan to change the same.
I thought you were planning to sell it

On the other hand mine is already on OLX. Suddenly smitten on a beautiful unused or well maintained to put it other way E220

KTM 390 has changed my riding life and has taken me back exactly to 2004 when i got my 500cc. Mind says keep it but heart says E220

The VW horns are direct replacements and provide good sound. To me Stebel which can fail anyday is working very well.

The quality of switches used are really bad is what i feel. They have not given up but the usage of the switch makes me feel the plastic quality is way below par.
Old 9th January 2014, 11:06   #1745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The quality of switches used are really bad is what i feel. They have not given up but the usage of the switch makes me feel the plastic quality is way below par.
Oh yes, they really are bad. My engine kill switch has already started malfunctioning. It only works after I fiddle with the position a few times. So have stopped using it altogether
Old 9th January 2014, 11:18   #1746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewheelin_KD View Post
My engine kill switch has already started malfunctioning. It only works after I fiddle with the position a few times.
Woah; that is really short life. Aren't these the same contact less switches Bajaj use on their motorcycles? I thought they were trouble free units. This is a concern.
Old 9th January 2014, 12:23   #1747
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Yes HIDs will affect warranty. The famous bulbs being used are Philips X-treme vision and Osram Nightbreaker Plus, both 60/55W.

I have procured the Osram bulb and will be trying it on soon.
my personal experience with philips X treme is not been upto expectation. i have been using them for a year on my C5. costed 600rs for a single piece. Its slightly brighter then the oem halogen, if at all anything.

Even i was not happy with the lighting on the 390, and was planning to install 2 LED based auxiliary light in addition to the headlight. Any leads on that direction would be helpful.
Old 9th January 2014, 12:27   #1748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
my personal experience with philips X treme is not been upto expectation. i have been using them for a year on my C5. costed 600rs for a single piece. Its slightly brighter then the oem halogen, if at all anything.
The philips are much better than the stock. Overall the road is far clearer with the Philips but way below what we want

The bikes head lights are BIG joke but thats the same with any of these bikes.

Except bullets i have not found another head lights as bright and as useful as those of a bullets.
Old 9th January 2014, 13:33   #1749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought you were planning to sell it
Nope, As there's no news of RC390 in hindsight and i tried N650 and it's not for my kind of person.
Let's wait for Z800 hopefully onroad comes close to 8 Lakhs.
Old 9th January 2014, 14:22   #1750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am finding the low beam of the 390 to be insufficient for my use. Although the high beam is okay, I would like to upgrade it. Can anyone suggest a better non blueish bulb as replacement for the stock? I have heard about a HL bulb from Philips which is not blueish, but could'nt remember the name.
I would recommend the Philips Xtreme Vision or the Osram Nightbreaker Plus and in this order.

Osram is almost white but Philips is near yellow. I have the Osram's in my Ritz and the Philips in my Ninja and i prefer the Philips anyday (or night ) over the Osram's.

Also with Osram's near white light color, visibility is reduced on wet roads and in rainy weather.

Suggest you go ahead with Philips. They cost around 600 bucks per bulb. Life is much better than Osram's too. I've been able to comfortably ride (blore to chennai ; blore to salem, etc.) astride the ninja at night at triple digits with the Philips bulb on the ninja.

Quote:
Is'nt Nightbreaker is a bit on the blueish side?
Nightbreakers are almost white and visibility is reduced on wet roads and in rainy weather.

Quote:
The philips are much better than the stock. Overall the road is far clearer with the Philips but way below what we want The bikes head lights are BIG joke but thats the same with any of these bikes.
A lot also depends on the reflector and headlight design. More often than anything it is the oncoming headlights that blind us and we are unable to see what is on the road ahead.

Quote:
Except bullets i have not found another head lights as bright and as useful as those of a bullets.
A round headlight unit focuses light very well on the road. That's why bullet's headlights are so effective. Many RX100 owners also plonked in suzuki samurai headlight units (round ones) to improve visibility as it was larger in diameter than the OE yamaha RX 100 headlamp unit.

Do check out the ninja headlights sometime
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 14:35   #1751
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I would recommend the Philips Xtreme Vision or the Osram Nightbreaker Plus and in this order.

Osram is almost white but Philips is near yellow. I have the Osram's in my Ritz and the Philips in my Ninja and i prefer the Philips anyday (or night ) over the Osram's.

..Suggest you go ahead with Philips...Nightbreakers are almost white and visibility is reduced on wet roads and in rainy weather.
Thanks Aditya. Ordered a pair of Xtreme Vision from eBay yesterday for rs.6XX per piece. Was unsure of the Ozrams as I will be riding in fog more often (Thanks to Namma Bengaluru).

Quote:
A lot also depends on the reflector and headlight design. More often than anything it is the oncoming headlights that blind us and we are unable to see what is on the road ahead.

A round headlight unit focuses light very well on the road. That's why bullet's headlights are so effective. Many RX100 owners also plonked in suzuki samurai headlight units (round ones) to improve visibility as it was larger in diameter than the OE yamaha RX 100 headlamp unit.
True to the comment on reflector design. Duke's reflector is too narrow owing to its design and hence the spread and throw is really low, especially low beam. And in case of bullets, replace the stock with Ambassador reflector and it gets even better!
Old 9th January 2014, 15:23   #1752
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
The philips are much better than the stock. Overall the road is far clearer with the Philips but way below what we want

The bikes head lights are BIG joke but thats the same with any of these bikes.

Probably i did not find any major difference between the philips Xtreme and OEM halogen on my C5, cos the OEM halogen by itself is decently bright. It may make a bigger difference on the 390. Will try and swap the headlights and check.

i am in complete agreement with your though that even with philips Xtreme, the light may improve, but way below what we would like to have. The same roads appear so different when i am on the car vs when on bike. I was contemplating additional auxillary lights, on the likes of denali, but a cost effective version. consumes about 5-10 watts per pod.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/denal...s-and-m8-mount

any leads on availability of similar products in india??
Old 9th January 2014, 15:28   #1753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Probably i did not find any major difference between the philips Xtreme and OEM halogen on my C5, cos the OEM halogen by itself is decently bright. It may make a bigger difference on the 390. Will try and swap the headlights and check.

i am in complete agreement with your though that even with philips Xtreme, the light may improve, but way below what we would like to have. The same roads appear so different when i am on the car vs when on bike. I was contemplating additional auxillary lights, on the likes of denali, but a cost effective version. consumes about 5-10 watts per pod.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/denal...s-and-m8-mount

any leads on availability of similar products in india??
nasirkaka, you can try a2z Motorcycle Superstore If I am not wrong they are based out of Hyderabad. But should be having shipping option upon ordering.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 23:56   #1754
Senior - BHPian

@nasirkaka: I saw some auxiliary lights at the probiking shop on Church street. You might want to check it out.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 21:43   #1755
BHPian

I've completed 390kms on my D390. I'm getting a mileage of about 23kmpl with 95% riding done in city traffic. Is the mileage going to increase after the first service?
Now coming to the running-in process, my S.A. said I have to keep it below 70-80km/h for the first 1k kms but the manual says below 7.5k rpm and avoid full throttle. What did you guys follow? Till now, I have shifted at around 5k rpm and taken her upto 7k a few times. Hit a max speed of 110kmph at 6-6.5k rpm. Hope it's alright?

Also wanted to know if fellow D390 owners faced a few problems that I'm facing:
1) Footpegs vibrate with high frequency between 3-4k rpm.
2) Rear number plate overhang shakes because of even the smallest bumps on the road.

These might not be big problems but they are irritating. Maybe because my previous ride was an R15. Nothing beats the build quality of the R15!
Other than these small quirks, completely in love with the duke! No wonder I completed 390 kms in just 6 days riding only in the city

Btw, we should meet up for a small ride sometime!
Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks