Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2014, 17:35   #1816
Senior - BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Don't know about this bro. Every time I have done that route, the cut off time is indeed 6 p.m. It is pretty risky (and scary) after that...
Doc, even I was under the impression that the cutoff was 6PM. But my friend who uses that route regularly confirmed that it was 9PM. Also a guy in the tollbooth before that confirmed it is 9'o clock. Anyways, less said the better. And hell yes. It was properly scary! And on top of that we were warned of the elephant mischiefs. We were in lookout for one on the way but spotted none!
Old 21st January 2014, 10:18   #1817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
He asked for a 'PERMIT' for the KL bikes. At first I thought I heard him wrong regarding the PERMIT thingy. But confirmed that he told 'PERMIT' only.
Where do you get such a permit?

I don't like being aggressive to these useless cops but sometimes you need to. You know the rules as much as the cop and you, your friends were not violating any rules. This is harassment. I'd get on my saddle and ride off. The cop can't do anything to the KL rides.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 11:54   #1818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Where do you get such a permit?

I don't like being aggressive to these useless cops but sometimes you need to. You know the rules as much as the cop and you, your friends were not violating any rules. This is harassment. I'd get on my saddle and ride off. The cop can't do anything to the KL rides.
Only heavy vehicles containing goods or passengers needs to have a permit to operate between states. We stood our grounds saying we knew very well know that there are no such permits. You should have seen his face. It clearly showed he was lying. I tried to check his name plate for filing a complaint, but it was hidden in the jacket he was wearing!

And like you said, we were pissed off and got into our saddles to leave. But he stopped us again and started lowering the amount from 600 to 400 and then to 200. Later caught hold of the 20 rupee note my friend was having! :/
Old 23rd January 2014, 00:07   #1819
BHPian

A very interesting thing happened with me a few days back, my duke went into reserve mode showing about 50 Km on the DTE so while stopping at a signal the engine died with almost full temp bars & the ignition wont crank. This seemed something many have experienced so i switched off the engine completely and stood on the side of the road for a few mins then, voila it came back to life at the next attempt. Now the interesting part, same day while coming back home i wanted to stop to buy something so parked the bike on slight forward incline for 3-4 mins. When i came back it was the same issue but this time even after 10 mins of wait it wont start ! So fully geared up with a laptop bag and helmet on my head i started pushing the bike, mind you the DTE was at 33 now so it still should have had more than a liter of fuel. It was time to stop again as i had to buy another thing so parked the bike on the side but this time it was a reverse incline so my tank was a level higher than my rear tyre. Did the chore came back and voila again it came back to life. Now i can only think of here - either the fuel pump was deprived of fuel as i kept it on an incline and as soon as i did the opposite it was back or it was a plain dumb coincidence that the heat had subsided even though the temp bars were still full. To note it also never showed the error people have seen high coolant temp. So, I wanted to ensure it wasnt the fuel so got it filled immed and was only able to put in 8.4 liters to the brim so it had to be the incline or the temp ! I am a bit baffled so on to the experts for autopsy... Lol

Last edited by 90BHP : 23rd January 2014 at 00:11.
Old 23rd January 2014, 08:54   #1820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
Now i can only think of here - either the fuel pump was deprived of fuel as i kept it on an incline and as soon as i did the opposite it was back or it was a plain dumb coincidence that the heat had subsided even though the temp bars were still full.
Looks to me like you were running on petrol fumes.

The MID readings do have a certain percentage of error so suggest that you don't rely on it esp. when you are running low on fuel. Fuel pump can suffer damage in case there is not enough fuel in the tank so ensure at least 2-3 liters of fuel is available in the tank when you decide to tank up.
Old 23rd January 2014, 11:12   #1821
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
so it had to be the incline or the temp ! I am a bit baffled so on to the experts for autopsy
I am no expert.

It was not high engine temperature for sure, else you should have got a warning. You had more than enough fuel too. I can only think of the parking inclines that would have caused the low fuel level to go into a corner of the tank. No serious problem. The next time you are in a similar situation, don't turn on ignition as soon as you get back on the saddle. Wait a few seconds and then turn on ignition.

I experienced something similar in a friends Matiz. The bugger always used to run the car with minimum fuel. One day, the car was parked on a ramp for several hours. It would not crank and none of us thought of low fuel and ramp parking. Called a tow truck and when the car was back on level ground, it fired up easily. Lost 200 bucks to the tow chap. This was much before we had proper tow trucks. A Matador 305 came to the rescue.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 23rd January 2014 at 11:14.
Old 23rd January 2014, 11:15   #1822
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik
Hey! Do you have an ownership of your 390 on Team BHP? I would like to read of your views about the ride you did to West Bengal and differences of timing between the Figo & KTM.

Hope it is not a bother
Old 23rd January 2014, 15:18   #1823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.. Now the interesting part, same day while coming back home i wanted to stop to buy something so parked the bike on slight forward incline for 3-4 mins. When i came back it was the same issue but this time even after 10 mins of wait it wont start ! So fully geared up with a laptop bag and helmet on my head i started pushing the bike, mind you the DTE was at 33 now so it still should have had more than a liter of fuel. It was time to stop again as i had to buy another thing so parked the bike on the side but this time it was a reverse incline so my tank was a level higher than my rear tyre. Did the chore came back and voila again it came back to life....
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
It was not high engine temperature for sure, else you should have got a warning. You had more than enough fuel too. I can only think of the parking inclines that would have caused the low fuel level to go into a corner of the tank. No serious problem. The next time you are in a similar situation, don't turn on ignition as soon as you get back on the saddle. Wait a few seconds and then turn on ignition.
90BHP I too think what sandeepmohan has suggested is the cause of the issue. As it was low on fuel, the incline might have taken out the fuel from the pump and the pump might have been unable to build up the correct pressure without fuel. From the very useful PDF ashkamath has shared some pages back, we can see that the fuel pump is situated in the fueltank nearer to the seat.
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-capture.jpg
And I would never suggest judging the fuel amount with the DTE. It can be way lower than what you think it can be. You can see how funny the Low Fuel warning behaves at times!

Cheers
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 16:25   #1824
Senior - BHPian

For 390 owners, a track day. (Saw this on the Kriegers FB group)

https://www.facebook.com/events/4070...y_type=regular

Mods: Please delete if inappropriate.
Old 23rd January 2014, 16:28   #1825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
For 390 owners, a track day. (Saw this on the Kriegers FB group)

https://www.facebook.com/events/4070...y_type=regular

Mods: Please delete if inappropriate.
I too got the invitation from Marathahalli KTM. I am planning(vaguely) to attend it. Anybody from Bangalore interested to attend?

It will be held on 2nd FEB at MMSC Race Track, Chennai. Conducted by Apex Racing.
Old 23rd January 2014, 16:49   #1826
BHPian

Quote:
I too got the invitation from Marathahalli KTM. I am planning(vaguely) to attend it. Anybody from Bangalore interested to attend?

It will be held on 2nd FEB at MMSC Race Track, Chennai. Conducted by Apex Racing.
Same here. I was at KTM A.S.S for my 2nd service and got the invitation to attend the track day at Chennai on 2nd Feb. so again anybody from Bangalore attending??
Old 23rd January 2014, 16:51   #1827
Senior - BHPian

I am thinking of attending if (a) I am in India, (b) I am near Bangalore & (c) my wife doesnt throw a fit!
Old 23rd January 2014, 16:57   #1828
Senior - BHPian

Just to get everyone's adrenaline pump working.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-image001.jpg

Quote:
KTM invites you to learn the technique behind track riding and the discover the track tool that your KTM 390 Duke is !
All under the expert guidance and supervision of some of India’s best racers and trainers and with timing equipment to measure your progress
A Ready to Race experience and an action packed day spent with fellow KTM owners !

Date and Day: 2nd February 2014, Sunday
Time : 7:00 am
Venue: MMSC Race Track , [COLOR=windowtext]Irungattukottai[/COLOR], [COLOR=windowtext]Sriperumbudur[/COLOR], [COLOR=windowtext]Chennai[/COLOR]

The event is exclusively for KTM 390 Duke owners and following are the highlights of the event.

1. Exclusive Race Track Experience with fellow KTM 390 Duke Customers
2. Classroom sessions in Air Conditioned Halls by Experts including National Champions
3. Multiple Practical sessions on track riding under expert supervision
4. State of the art Timing Equipment to monitor improvement throughout the day with Result Sheets
5. Photographs of Track Riding to be provided post event
6. Food and Beverage for the participants Provided at Venue– includes Breakfast, Lunch and Hi-Tea

Eligibility Criteria:

1. Owner of KTM 390 Duke
2. Valid Driving License
3. Personal Life and Mediclaim Insurance (Preferred)
4. Possession of Minimum Riding Gear Comprising of:
a. Full Face Helmet
b. Riding Jacket
c. Riding Gloves
d. Knee Guards
e. Riding Boots or Ankle length Shoes (No Sneakers)

Some Riding Gear will be provided at the venue on sharing basis, riders interested must confirm the same while registering for the event with their showrooms.
Full Face Helmet and Footwear will not be provided at all on the venue and must be brought by the participants themselves.

Regards,

KTM Team.
Old 23rd January 2014, 18:23   #1829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
S got the invitation to attend the track day at Chennai on 2nd Feb. so again anybody from Bangalore attending??
Quote:
Anybody from Bangalore interested to attend?

A bunch of us, 3-4 at the moment, are attending. We plan to go the Indiranagar showroom tomorrow and register. It starts early Sunday so we plan to leave B'lore Saturday evening.
Old 23rd January 2014, 18:31   #1830
BHPian

Guys it happened again ! But this time i had a full tank and was coming down a flyover. The engine stalled and i had to take it to the side. The temp guage was 3 shy of high levels and the bike decided not to start. I waited for about 8 mins on the side of the road and still no joy. I tried the same method by making my bike put up on an incline and it started within a min. I recently returned from nasik and had fueled there i am thinking it may be the fuel filter and the rest are just coincidences. But whatever it is its very irritating to stand on thr side fully dressed. Have to go visit the service center to have a look see.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks