Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2014, 18:50   #1831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
A bunch of us, 3-4 at the moment, are attending. We plan to go the Indiranagar showroom tomorrow and register. It starts early Sunday so we plan to leave B'lore Saturday evening.
Thats cool. Let me check up if I could make it to this event. Will register here at Goa and if time and work permits, will join you guys at Bangalore for the ride.
P.S: Niranjan please (pvt) msg me your contact detail for my reference.
Thanks,
Ashok

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
Guys it happened again ! But this time i had a full tank and was coming down a flyover.
Sad to hear that 90BHP. I am not sure if this is due to a clogged fuel filter or adulterated fuel.
Just curious. Do you remember if there were any jump or pothole or something that you negotiated just before the engine went dead? the reason I ask is these modern bikes come with an array of electronic sensors which send feedback to the ECU. One of them is the side stand sensor. If the side stand sensor malfunctions/ or even during the ride if there is slight movement in the side stand activating the sensor, then the bike engine goes dead. There is a remote possibility that it could some sensor issue. Check it out.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 23rd January 2014 at 21:24. Reason: merged on request
Old 23rd January 2014, 21:42   #1832
BHPian

I'm planning to attend the event too guys. Will be registering at Langford KTM tomorrow.

90bhp: all symptoms of a malfunctioning sensor I feel. It might be roll over sensor or side stand sensor.
Old 27th January 2014, 11:04   #1833
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Guys it happened again ! But this time i had a full tank and was coming down a flyover. The engine stalled and i had to take it to the side. The temp guage was 3 shy of high levels and the bike decided not to start. I waited for about 8 mins on the side of the road and still no joy. I tried the same method by making my bike put up on an incline and it started within a min. I recently returned from nasik and had fueled there i am thinking it may be the fuel filter and the rest are just coincidences. But whatever it is its very irritating to stand on thr side fully dressed. Have to go visit the service center to have a look see.
Just to be sure, can you open the rider seat and check for the battery terminal connectors before you dig further in to the problem.

For past one week, i was having regular stalling issue, the culprit was found to be a broken battery terminal. Infact, was told at SS that another 390 had a similar issue. just to be sure, have a close look at it.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 13:48   #1834
Team-BHP Support

KTM has introduced the 390 Duke street bike in a new 'Midnight Black' colour in India.

Link to team-BHP News Article
Old 27th January 2014, 13:56   #1835
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
KTM has introduced the 390 Duke street bike in a new 'Midnight Black' colour in India.

Good to hear. On Saturday I had checked with the KTM dealership in BTM Layout and they did not have any idea when it would come out in black.

Incidentally they also mentioned that there seem to be no plans of the naked Ninja 250 and the 690 will be out in 2015. Given that they didnt know about the new black colour scheme of the D390 ......
Old 27th January 2014, 21:15   #1836
BHPian

Guys,

The manual states the recommended engine oil grade to be 10W50. I recall a discussion along the lines of a particular grade being more suitable for the European climates and vice versa.

Our Desi temperatures do call for a thicker oil I guess and hence W50 is the correct grade I presume?

Would appreciate it if the senior (intellectually ) gentlemen such as Doc and co respond to this !

Cheers !

Sundar
Old 27th January 2014, 21:30   #1837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Good to hear. On Saturday I had checked with the KTM dealership in BTM Layout and they did not have any idea when it would come out in black.

Incidentally they also mentioned that there seem to be no plans of the naked Ninja 250 and the 690 will be out in 2015. Given that they didnt know about the new black colour scheme of the D390 ......
It will be here real soon, just spoke to the manager of the Begumpet showroom in Hyd. He gave me two choices, pay 1200 for the sticker & make the bike black or wait until Saturday for confirmation on the delivery date. Since im in no real hurry I opted to wait.

Apparently, 3 black ones are on their way here & the best part is my name's on one of them
VedderTheFixer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 02:07   #1838
BHPian

Guys rode to pune and back to Goa for a seminar.
some stats:
Ride days. 24th Jan and 27th Jan.
Route: Vasco-Old Goa-Sanquelim-Chorla-Jamboti-Belgaum-Kolhapur-Satara-Karad-Pune and same route back.
Total distance: 996 kms
Mileage: 34 Kmpl

An eye opener: After reaching 150 Kmph, the speedometer seems to slow down. While the bike was still accelerating the speedo hovered between 150-155 for longish period. So after 150 Kmph the bike steam reduces somewhat.

This post is a long story cut extremely short. Met with ebonho after a long time. went for a ride. He is one maniac rider if I could say that. Amazingly maintained 200. Met with another close friend who ride a CBR. Lots of fond memories. lazy to write a detailed triplog (essentially my thoughts and feelings)

Note from Support - Please avoid posting high speed figures unless it was attained on a closed road such as a race track, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-aa.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dscn0081.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dscn0095.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-untitled3.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dscn0089.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-untitled2.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-untitledaa.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dscn0099.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-untitled.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-untitledbb.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-asd.jpg  

Last edited by n_aditya : 28th January 2014 at 08:26. Reason: high speed figures edited out
ashkamath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 10:39   #1839
BHPian

@ashkamath: A good long ride eh? Envy you! BTW how did you source 91 octane fuel on the highway? or the regular one is good enough?

Anoyone facing a notchy/soft geat shifts? Gear down seems to be too soft for me.. clutch setting to be altered perhaps? Also when I downshift, the gear shift indicator goes blank and only after a little bit of a movement, the gear locks properly and the indicator shows proper gear! anyone facing this?
razorBlades is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 11:28   #1840
Senior - BHPian

Hey Ashok,

It was absolutely super meeting you after so many years buddy. You are as fit as before and in fact seem to have gotten younger. You must share the secret with me sometime.

Your bike looked great (and super clean) considering the hard riding it had been through. Also really liked the extra bass the engine/exhaust has developed at 7K+ kms (the magic of carbon!). The other thing I noted was how good the tires looked at 7K+ kms. They should surely last you much more than the reported 10-12K kms - I would venture that they go on all the way to 15K kms at this rate of wear.

You're obviously as smooth a rider as you always used to be. A mileage of cose to 35 on the 390, especialy considering your cruise speeds, is truly something I could not have managed ever. Try as I might, I never got more than 27-28 from the test 390 I had, and more often than not 24-25 was the norm. Kudos! You also made great time. The 390 really is a fast (and effortless) mile muncher. What was your long ride expperience in terms of ergonomics and seat comfort? I remember you used to find some problems earlier with tirednes and discomfort on your shorter rides in and around Goa .....

Sorry I was unable to spend more time with you due to family commitments buddy (pre planned so no escape). Would have loved to do a slightly longer ride on Sunday. Anyways, next time, soon, in Goa! What I am REALLY glad about is that I managed to get you into proper riding gear. Looking at what you came to Pune in made me take a time leap backward to 2002! The gear looks and fits good. And with wear, you'll get more used to it, so that soon you will not be able to ride without it. Get into those boots too bro. They need break in, but once that's done, you'll find their protection and support very reassuring. Your legs will also get used to the weight, till you'll hardly notice it.

Looking forward to our 690s soon! Ride safe, and have fun in Chennai. Wish I could have joine you guys too. It will be a fantastic learning curve, and you will come away a faster and more assured rider.

Cheers, Doc

P.S. What awe inspiring roads man. Its Chorla for me anyday the next ride to Goa. Amboli is nowhere close (though also nice).

Last edited by ebonho : 28th January 2014 at 11:35.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 12:20   #1841
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

Thanks man. I was at the dealership last weekend and they had no clue when this color would be available.

That said a question to the 390 owners here, I test rode the bike and simply loved it. The only gripe was the seats which was a tad bit too hard to my liking. Are there any alternatives for this as in after market seats which are softer ?
Old 28th January 2014, 12:29   #1842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
That said a question to the 390 owners here, I test rode the bike and simply loved it. The only gripe was the seats which was a tad bit too hard to my liking. Are there any alternatives for this as in after market seats which are softer ?
There are PowerParts padded seats for 10K each. Or you can get them padded at a local seat walla as well. Or get gel pad insets and have those fitted to the seats. Personally ever since I bought riding pants, my butt pain issues have reduced to very manageable levels. A butt is a butt, it will still pain once the blood flow gets restricted from prolonged pressure. But it happens way less and after a lot longer, and is not as excrutiating. But as I've said many times before, the hard seat of the KTM is in fact a boon over long distances. I find it much better than the more generous looking Bullet seat for instance. Hope this helps!
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 12:45   #1843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
But as I've said many times before, the hard seat of the KTM is in fact a boon over long distances. I find it much better than the more generous looking Bullet seat for instance. Hope this helps!
+1 to that doc. Before coming to KTM I just simply thought that the Previous generation TBTS seat was the most comfortable seat available for mile munching. After 4200Kms on the 390, I stand corrected. Theoretically, I always knew that harder seats are the best for long hours in the saddle, but with the experience on the 390, I very well support the fact. On my last ride to Kerala and back I did around 250 Kms in a stretch. And the best part, the stepped pillion seat will act as a lower back (tail bone) support too!

Last edited by man_of_steel : 28th January 2014 at 12:49.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 13:00   #1844
Senior - BHPian

Ashok ji, Please do honor us with one of your detailed trip logs with great real world on the road inputs.

Translation - dont be lazy!
Old 28th January 2014, 13:32   #1845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Hey Ashok,

(abridged)...

Looking forward to our 690s soon! ....

When!?
Doc, please enlighten us a bit more on this (on another thread if you wish). If the 690 is coming anytime soon, I would like to hold my horses a bit longer for an upgrade from the TBTS. I missed the 390 earlier and bought the RE, because I was not clear on the launch date and my Ladakh trip would have been held to ransom. No such hurry right now.

Regards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks