Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2014, 08:43   #2011
Senior - BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
I shudder to think of consequences if my bike shuts down while overtaking a vehicle on the highway with little or no leeway
I shudder to think you want to take a risk in a high with little or no leeway on the other hand.

To think of it please do check the spark plug, even the battery wiring and see if there is a spot where the wire is chewed or crushed which makes power supply not really linear.

If you have the habit of riding the bike with foot over the levers and big boots there is also a possibility you are without any of your knowledge kicking the side stand by mistake. This happened to me a couple of times for the engine to shut down. The side stand requires a gentle hit and not even full engagement of the same. There is a mod which eliminates this circuit where engaging gears with side stand on is possible.

Sidestand, spark plug, battery wires, battery health is what i can think of at this point. I know guys riding with their foot over the brakes and foot in a half way position confused between up/down shift. The latter position is what causes to hit the side stand by mistake cutting of the engine.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2014, 10:01   #2012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
If you have the habit of riding the bike with foot over the levers and big boots there is also a possibility you are without any of your knowledge kicking the side stand by mistake. This happened to me a couple of times for the engine to shut down. The side stand requires a gentle hit and not even full engagement of the same. There is a mod which eliminates this circuit where engaging gears with side stand on is possible.
I think the side stand safety mechanism is more of a demon than a saviour. They should introduce an audio/visual warning rather than killing the engine totally. A loud beep like the door open warning in cars alongwith a light on the dash should do just fine.
Old 18th February 2014, 10:13   #2013
BHPian

This past weekend on the way back from Lonavala I was doing about 100 and while entering a bridge the road had an abrupt elevation drop which caused the bike to be in the air for fraction of a second. Immediately I saw engine warning light come on and for couple of seconds the bike wouldn't accelerate.

One other time it was similar to what is being reported here which is engine cutting off when the clutch is engaged.

These two events have put a seed of doubt in my mind about this bike. Hope they figure this thing out
hsub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2014, 14:32   #2014
BHPian

Humm, the new about the alloys and tires is some food for thought alright. I ll have to be real careful riding to Leh this June. Cannot afford to make a mistake there. Quite unfortunate, what happened to the Bangalore group with the 390, shocking quality on those alloys.
Old 18th February 2014, 23:06   #2015
Senior - BHPian

Guys, what is your idling RPM on the D390s? Mine is 1500 rpm. Is that normal? Seems to high. Also noticed some oil sweating at 2-3 places. Some irritants. Also was called regarding some mudguard replacement from the company. Anyone know anything about this.
Old 18th February 2014, 23:27   #2016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhilash95 View Post
On a D390,can the brake level be squeezed fully till it touches the throttle, is it normal?
It is close to impossible to do so in D200 unless you have super strong hand.
When I asked the SVC folks regarding this, they suggested that in an abs equipped bike it's normal.
Please use a Philips screwdriver and tighten the screw that can be found just above the temple of the mechanic who told you this.

Please get the brake pressure adjusted. If they don't know how to do it, take it to another service center if there is one, or get from them in writing that they are incapable of adjusting it and take it to any local service tech and bleed the system to release any air that has built up.
Cyrus_the_virus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 00:06   #2017
Senior - BHPian

Anyone got the Metzelers replaced yet? Could someone please post how much do they cost; individually & as a pair?

Motorbeam reports 12k for a pair. I've heard of figures ranging from 16k to 20k for a pair.

Reading about the alloys is getting me really worried. This sort of thing can not just leave you stranded; it could get you killed. And the abrupt engine cut off ...... SCARYYYYYYY.

KTM sure is making the (ex) RE boys feel right at home; niggles et al.
Old 19th February 2014, 04:04   #2018
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus_the_virus View Post

Please use a Philips screwdriver and tighten the screw that can be found just above the temple of the mechanic who told you this.
Lol. Love the way of expression. I feel that guy is not fit to be in the ASC. Just misleading customers and wrong information given.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus_the_virus View Post
Please get the brake pressure adjusted. If they don't know how to do it, take it to another service center if there is one, or get from them in writing that they are incapable of adjusting it and take it to any local service tech and bleed the system to release any air that has built up.
Brake bleeding will do the job to restore the pressure needed. Hope the clip and spring inside the master reservoir is OK and functioning.

Anurag.
Old 19th February 2014, 06:27   #2019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
Also was called regarding some mudguard replacement from the company. Anyone know anything about this.
Here you go : http://www.motorbeam.com/bikes/ktm-d...d-under-plate/
Old 19th February 2014, 10:20   #2020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
The author needs to get her facts right.

"The problem with the old mudguard plate was that it was made of metal making it hard and not at all flexible. The new under plate is made of plastic and is extremely flexible."
Old 19th February 2014, 13:07   #2021
Senior - BHPian

Just got a call from Marathahalli KTM, Bangalore notifying me about a customer meet happening at Regaalis Hotel, Lavelle Road at 7:30 PM. Anybody from BLR got a call regarding this and planning to attend?
Old 19th February 2014, 23:23   #2022
Distinguished - BHPian

KTM Enduro 390 Spotted

Was writing the post out here and then realized the enduro deserved its own page.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3373623
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-image_zpsf80914c4.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-ktmdukesupermotospyphoto.jpg  

Last edited by Red Liner : 19th February 2014 at 23:36.
Old 20th February 2014, 09:25   #2023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsub View Post
caused the bike to be in the air for fraction of a second. Immediately I saw engine warning light come on and for couple of seconds the bike wouldn't accelerate.

One other time it was similar to what is being reported here which is engine cutting off when the clutch is engaged.
It could be a safety feature. Some sensor relaying information to the ECU that the bike is airborne, rear tire freewheeling, thinks you've crashed and cut power momentarily.

Cars have a fuel cut off switch. When you crash, the fuel supply switch trips but something is telling this switch to trip or the impact alone causes the trip. Going into a really bad pothole can also trip the fuel supply switch.

A few folks have reported about the engine dying for various reasons. I have not experienced this.

I have noticed that if you end up under cranking with the thumb starter, in hope that your bike will fire up and it does not, it takes a good 4 to 5 seconds of holding down the thumb starter for the bike to wake up. These are my observations with a cold and hot engine.
Old 20th February 2014, 09:51   #2024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post

It could be a safety feature. Some sensor relaying information to the ECU that the bike is airborne, rear tire freewheeling, thinks you've crashed and cut power momentarily.

If so,that would be the worst time to cut power!
Old 20th February 2014, 11:49   #2025
BHPian

Have you guys tried all of these cases, "bike airborne", "engine cutting off" ... when ABS is off ? I know its not a safe thing to try, but just trying to isolate the problem out. Wonder why stunt folks don't complain about such problems !

Most Viewed