Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2013, 13:38   #211
Senior - BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
And here I am speaking about purely in straight line performance. With a long enough braking area. Deviate from that and the RD may as well stay at home in every other department that makes the complete bike.

No doubt an icon, and which is why I fankly feel it simply lowers its exalted pedestal perch to keep dragging it into comparisons with every new kid on the block.

You guys should do what I am planning to do with my Standard 500. Get it to pristine bone stock, and on lovely moonlit nights, take the old girl out for a spin. Then bring her back, check her oil, polish her, and put her back under the covers.

Leave the real riding for what you are now going to pick up. Good choice. Congrats!

I see a huge number of the old school gang migrating. Finally.
Totally agree with what you have written here Doc. I started off with a Bullet, have owned a few RDs and still own one. It really doesn't make sense to compare a 40 year old design to a brand new one!

As soon as I can afford it (read: whenever my RD lets me!), I will add a regular bike (like the 390) to my garage which I can ride fast and not be scared of what 'original' part I may be wearing out or breaking! I don't really need to 'preserve' a new bike.

I would ride the RD to enjoy the simple pleasure of riding a lovely 2 stroke which the new generation doesn't even know of! Finally, a lot of us old timers can have the cake and eat it too - have a fast bike for the long rides / commutes, and save that special bike for the occasional rides.

Of course, I know that many of the RD owners who have built their bikes into 100% reliable daily rides with US spec parts and digital CDIs will not agree with me. But still!

Really sorry for taking this thread
Viju is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 14:35   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
and save that special bike for the occasional rides.
Exactly the point. You cannot compare it with new generation 4Ts - buy the Katoom for daily thrills, but you cannot replace the RD with it.

Keep RD, buy Katoom. Win-Win.
Steeroid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 14:50   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Of course, I know that many of the RD owners who have built their bikes into 100% reliable daily rides with US spec parts and digital CDIs will not agree with me. But still!
Viju,
That's exactly my take on it which I had written in earlier. Buy the KTM and keep the RD for those occasional long rides/club rides. If I had had my way then the RD would have been resting in my spare bedroom instead of the garage.
Certain things don't change .
ku69rd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 15:05   #214
Senior - BHPian

Most of you RD boys would need to hold on to your RDs for hardly 5 odd years more before they officially become "Classics."
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 17:26   #215
Senior - BHPian

Had been to BTM KTM showroom this afternoon. Display bike has reached showroom. It looks good. Much better than 200 to my eyes. Onroad price quoted is 2.13L and a delivery time of upto 3 months. Sales exec said he had a ride today and he got scared with the power delivery Test ride bike will be reaching them by this weekend.
Old 4th July 2013, 20:17   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramases6 View Post
Are there Trainers who will retrain me in efficient two wheel skills locally? A few lessons over a couple of days( I have been an avid enthusiast years ago) but now seem to think I need to reduce the risks as well as the time associated with learning new skill sets.

I know of trainers outside India offering such specialized training on the heavier superbikes.I am told by a friend who attended one that there is so much to know that he could not have got there just by himself.

My aim is to understand my bike and to use it optimally for enjoyment.I do not wish to burn serious rubber every time but I do not want to ride it like I am on an outing with my family on our scooter either.
I'd be really interested in knowing about such options as well. I'm really smitten by the 390 as well but most of my 2-wheeler experience is with Activas and that too on a irregular basis. Dont want to run before I can walk!
Old 5th July 2013, 01:30   #217
BHPian

Completely overwhelmed by such aggressive pricing by Bajaj auto. Kudos Bajaj auto, can't thank you enough for this gesture! Many of us, who had never thought of buying another bike, have been compelled to work out their finances and reach out for the 390.
It has literally left me blushing since the launch day. Hoping to book the bike tomorrow & awaiting a good home for my pre worshipped duke 200.

Regards,
Oranger

KTM Duke 200 (2012)
Fiat Linea Emotion Pk (2009)
Maruti Esteem LXi (2004)
Old 5th July 2013, 09:03   #218
BHPian

This is slightly off topic, but does pune have any active KTM Clubs or groups?

Not the arm chair type of thing(plenty of those on facebook I think),but an active group that does weekend rides etc?

One that will welcome a newbie orangie in their midst
Old 5th July 2013, 09:29   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocamp View Post

Not the arm chair type of thing(plenty of those on facebook I think),but an active group that does weekend rides etc?

One that will welcome a newbie orangie in their midst
I am looking for the same. I think there is one such group on Facebook(Dukes of Pune). Need to get my 390 delivered before I join though!
Old 5th July 2013, 09:47   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+1 on that!

As someone called me, I am a "born again biker". So, this will really help. Again, I am thinking I would be able combine photography with biking so, this is a question that goes out to the public:

"Are there photo-bike clubs in Bangalore?"

Does have to be Nikon or KTM!

On a another tack, is there any interest in such a group? (Think I will start a separate thread on that).

Edit: Just did:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ike-group.html

Last edited by sridhu : 5th July 2013 at 09:57. Reason: Added link
Old 5th July 2013, 10:22   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I did not get the last sentence.

The Enduro and 390 were taken by the showroom guys for a spin and parked on the showrom floor after .The test ride bike will arrive later as mentioned in my previous post.

Regards

So technically one is not supposed to take display cars/bikes for joy rides. They are only meant to be serviced and kept in running condition so that they can be sold/converted into demo machines. I had assumed that KTM showrooms wouldn't be using display bikes for joy rides. So I was just a little confused as to what was going on. I had thought that a bike had been delivered, which would have meant that KTM Indiranagar were not exactly truthful with me. Happily that is not the case!!!

Cheers!

P.S Sorry for the late response have been extremely busy last couple of days.
Old 5th July 2013, 11:26   #222
BHPian

Quote:
does pune have any active KTM Clubs or groups?
Yes! Dukes of Pune, a group of KTM riders from Pune. Very active and always happy to welcome new riders. You can visit the 'Duke's of PUNE' page on FB.
Hope to catch up with you on future rides.
Oranger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2013, 11:50   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oranger View Post
It has literally left me blushing since the launch day. Hoping to book the bike tomorrow & awaiting a good home for my pre worshipped duke 200.
Hey Oranger,
Have you listed your Duke on the classifieds? If not could you PM me what is your expectation? I would be interested.

P.S: Unable to PM you hence this post.

Thanks
MKP
Old 5th July 2013, 12:01   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post
Hey Oranger,
Have you listed your Duke on the classifieds?
Thanks
MKP
Hi MKP,
I have already listed it on the classified section.
You can ping me on the number mentioned in the ad.
Old 5th July 2013, 12:10   #225
BHPian

Had been to the KTM Adyar Showroom ( New one) day before yesterday for the Chennai unveil of the D390. Some notes from the unviel

(1) You know the bike has got a fan following when the general people who turned up over there know the bike statistics better than the showroom guys.

(2) The Chennai showroom has the second largest sale for KTM after the Bangalore showroom

(3) There is soon to be a new showroom opened up in Tambaram, which will be much bigger.

(4) Today they actually unveiled both the 390 and their Dirt bike 350 SX-F. The dirt bike is for pure display for the next 1 year, to build brand awareness.

(5) They also had the RC8

(6) The delivery timeline is 90 days, but they say they could close initial bookings by month end.

(7) They will have the 390 for test ride after a week, once they have registered the bike.

(8) They let the people who booked the bike to unveil it
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc_0045.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc_0052.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc_0054.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc_0059.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc_0060.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc_0061.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc_0067.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc_0076.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc_0092.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc_0094.jpg