Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2014, 10:21   #2371
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

@surajit333: They do the oil thing with the brakes at Kasturba road too. You are better off telling them EXPLICITLY not to clean brakes.
Old 13th May 2014, 15:38   #2372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
@surajit333: They do the oil thing with the brakes at Kasturba road too. You are better off telling them EXPLICITLY not to clean brakes.
They do not clean the brakes during service.

Its just that they are very careless about the way they clean and lube the chain and a lot of cleaner/lube spills over to the disc which causes problems.
Old 13th May 2014, 16:20   #2373
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

A small query. I have spotted a coolant leak from the end of a coolant hose just above the front side of the spoiler/bellypan. The leak reduced the level near to min and I refilled it to optimum mark immediately. The heating behavior of the bike is absolutely normal and everyday I make sure that the coolant is at optimum level. I will not be able to take my bike to SVC this weekend. Will it be safe to run the bike with this leak for another week as the bike is not showing any signs of overheating and if I ensure that the coolant level is correct?
Old 13th May 2014, 22:22   #2374
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Guys,

A small query. I have spotted a coolant leak from the end of a coolant hose just above the front side of the spoiler/bellypan. The leak reduced the level near to min and I refilled it to optimum mark immediately. The heating behavior of the bike is absolutely normal and everyday I make sure that the coolant is at optimum level. I will not be able to take my bike to SVC this weekend. Will it be safe to run the bike with this leak for another week as the bike is not showing any signs of overheating and if I ensure that the coolant level is correct?
Yes it is completely safe. Coolant is mainly water. If you have access to premix then fine otherwise mineral water also does the same job
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2014, 00:22   #2375
Distinguished - BHPian

Just a thought about the water that is being put into the cooling system.

Using ordinary tap water or water containing minerals is asking for problems.

Water of this type can create corrosion in the engine and reduce the life of the seals.

Please use distilled water or a good pre-mix that is made for liquid cooled engines when adding fluids to the cooling reserve tank.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2014, 10:58   #2376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Yes it is completely safe. Coolant is mainly water. If you have access to premix then fine otherwise mineral water also does the same job
Allright. Thanks sagarpadaki! I bought the spare coolant from ASC for top up as I did'nt want to go for (distilled) water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Just a thought about the water that is being put into the cooling system.

Using ordinary tap water or water containing minerals is asking for problems.

Water of this type can create corrosion in the engine and reduce the life of the seals.

Please use distilled water or a good pre-mix that is made for liquid cooled engines when adding fluids to the cooling reserve tank.
+1. You might want to keep the normal water as the last desperate resort only. Else distilled water it is. But even if you use distilled water, it is advised to flush the coolant circuit and fill in the recommended coolant.

Thanks.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 14th May 2014 at 11:03.
Old 14th May 2014, 11:28   #2377
BHPian

Quote:
Allright. Thanks sagarpadaki! I bought the spare coolant from ASC for top up as I did'nt want to go for (distilled) water.

+1. You might want to keep the normal water as the last desperate resort only. Else distilled water it is. But even if you use distilled water, it is advised to flush the coolant circuit and fill in the recommended coolant.

Thanks.
Premixed coolant is readily available at most spare parts shops and all petrol bunks. It's safer and easier to buy premix instead of distilled water which is a little harder to find.
Motard_Blr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2014, 11:49   #2378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
Premixed coolant is readily available at most spare parts shops and all petrol bunks. It's safer and easier to buy premix instead of distilled water which is a little harder to find.
Yes, I procured the recommended Motul Inugel coolant for the 390 from ASC. Available in 1L bottle only for around 180 bucks.
Old 14th May 2014, 18:21   #2379
Senior - BHPian

@Motard_Blr: agree with you re premix but distilled water is easily found in the same petrol bunks. about 90 bucks for 5 litre can.
Old 15th May 2014, 15:27   #2380
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note : Team-BHP strongly discourages unsafe driving / riding practices that put yourself and other road users at risk. Please do NOT post about illegally high speeds on public roads.

Last edited by GTO : 15th May 2014 at 15:29.
Old 20th May 2014, 13:47   #2381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Water of this type can create corrosion in the engine and reduce the life of the seals
Water does not reach the engine cavity. It is the water jacket that usually runs around the engine block, gets blocked over a period of time due to mineral deposits in water. The end result is over heating and a possible seize. Please note that your expansion tank can be full with coolant, your radiator fan working, still, if the fine passages for the coolant to circulate are blocked, you are in trouble.

As you suggested, distilled water is the way.
Old 23rd May 2014, 03:16   #2382
BHPian

Quote:
Every single freaking time. While washing, lubing, wiping and pretty much everytime when I am not riding!
!
Man. check out this telescopic stand by Dhaval. Last time I asked him the price, he quoted about 3K. But guess it is money well spent.

and Dhaval Mahidharia's contact number is +91 98210 84001 and email ID is dhavaljm@gmail.com

I have not yet got this stand from him. will do so soon.

btw. my bike's done over 13000 Km now. The only wash it has got till now is 3 times ( 3 services) and about 5-6 times of chain tightening and lubing ( again at the company service center). Neither do I wipe clean my bike. The only dusting it gets is the seat.

The chain loosening phenomenon has reduced a lot with me. It is over 1000 Kms since the last service and the chain tautness is holding good still.

I cant wash it more often due to limitations were I am staying ( our apartment does not have a tap at the parking lot and I need to carry the water bucket all the way down from my flat down to the basement which is a lot of work for a lazy bum like me)

After the 3rd service, the bike engine seems to be extremely free revving, the performance seems to be better ( may be coz spark plugs were replaced along with the usual air / fuel filters and stuff like that).
and I started to use System G additive in my bike instead of the premium petrol. so now every tank full of 8-9 litres ( that is what it holds to brim after the reserve light flashes ON) I add about 7-8 ml of System G. The results are a free revving engine with a muffled sound at exhaust and an apparent improvement in performance ( or so I think)

But after 3rd service the bike has got a different character altogether which I am not able to decipher. and Boy.. am I happy ?

Last edited by ashkamath : 23rd May 2014 at 03:22.
ashkamath is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 19:41   #2383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Man. check out this telescopic stand by Dhaval. Last time I asked him the price, he quoted about 3K. But guess it is money well spent.

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=JJnbYZKvxDA
and Dhaval Mahidharia's contact number is +91 98210 84001 and email ID is dhavaljm@gmail.com

I have not yet got this stand from him. will do so soon.

btw. my bike's done over 13000 Km now. The only wash it has got till now is 3 times ( 3 services) and about 5-6 times of chain tightening and lubing ( again at the company service center). Neither do I wipe clean my bike. The only dusting it gets is the seat.

The chain loosening phenomenon has reduced a lot with me. It is over 1000 Kms since the last service and the chain tautness is holding good still.

I cant wash it more often due to limitations were I am staying ( our apartment does not have a tap at the parking lot and I need to carry the water bucket all the way down from my flat down to the basement which is a lot of work for a lazy bum like me)

After the 3rd service, the bike engine seems to be extremely free revving, the performance seems to be better ( may be coz spark plugs were replaced along with the usual air / fuel filters and stuff like that).
and I started to use System G additive in my bike instead of the premium petrol. so now every tank full of 8-9 litres ( that is what it holds to brim after the reserve light flashes ON) I add about 7-8 ml of System G. The results are a free revving engine with a muffled sound at exhaust and an apparent improvement in performance ( or so I think)

But after 3rd service the bike has got a different character altogether which I am not able to decipher. and Boy.. am I happy ?
Why don't you just get a paddock stand..I picked up mine for 3 k in Bombay and it far more versatile
howler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 19:51   #2384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
Why don't you just get a paddock stand..I picked up mine for 3 k in Bombay and it far more versatile
I hope you don't carry your paddock stand during touring. Sorry If I am sounding rude.This is easier alternate during longer trips where there is need for lubing the chain on a street. Or a quick fix for a flat rear.
unk9ja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 21:23   #2385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
Yup. Paddock stand is the standard choice. If the need is only to wash, lube and wipe stuff.
what goes against paddock stand is it is not portable. Imagine a situation when you are out riding. you had a puncture or on a long ride you find your chain slacking or need some cleaning. Such stuff happen while riding and having some thing like a telescopic stand while on a long ride is handy

Hence I personally see the utility value of the portable stand in a different perspective vis a vis the paddock stand

Infact I am thinking of a jugaad portable stand. An half inch dia steel pipe /rod about a 15" long ( I mean appropriate length) or so welded / bolted to a sturdy lockable castor wheel. the upper portion of the steel pipe one can weld a half section of connecting rod bearing or something like that to form a cup to support and hold the bike frame in position. The whole contraption will cost a few hundred rupee and can be done is a few hours. and it could function similar to the above telescopic stand.
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed