Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2014, 12:41   #2416
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Doc, the person who has the above duke said that the tire does rub the front fender. After running for around 1500 kms it becomes fine.

By the way, I am getting the Michelin pilot streets for my bike tomorrow.
Does not look like it fom the photo though. There seems to be more than a finger width clearance between the fender and the tyre.
Old 31st May 2014, 12:43   #2417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Does not look like it fom the photo though. There seems to be more than a finger width clearance between the fender and the tyre.
Well maybe. By the way how are these tires for the city ? And what options do I have for the front. Can you help.
Old 31st May 2014, 12:57   #2418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well maybe. By the way how are these tires for the city ? And what options do I have for the front. Can you help.
These are good dual purpose tyres. And can run on tarmac as well as give decent purchase off road in mud, slush, snow, and gravel.

They will not be nowhere close to as good as the stock Revz on good tarmac though.

But they would be a lot better than the Revz off road and off perfect tarmac.

Plus if they too as tubeless (as they are from what's being reported), then thats a major advantage of the Revz equalized if not negated.

And a major advantage of these over the Revz (or the Metz) is that these will not allow the rims to bend or get damaged (and sometimes cause dangerous instant deflations from the damaged side). This is THE Achilles heal of the tyre profile of the Revz/Metz. Now way around it.

Last edited by ebonho : 31st May 2014 at 12:58.
Old 31st May 2014, 12:58   #2419
BHPian

Quote:
These are good dual purpose tyres. And can run on tarmac as well as give decent purchase off road in mud, slush, snow, and gravel.

They will not be nowhere close to as good as the stock Revz on good tarmac though.

But they would be a lot better than the Revz off road and off perfect tarmac.

Plus if they too as tubeless then thats a major advantageof the Revz equalized if not negated.

And a major advantage of these over the Revz (or the Metz) is that these will not allow the rims to bend or get damaged (and sometimes cause dangerous instant deflations from the damaged side).
Alright doc. But now I am more confused as to which one to go for. Michelin's or the ceat ?
Old 31st May 2014, 13:01   #2420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Alright doc. But now I am more confused as to which one to go for. Michelin's or the ceat ?
Depends on the use. If the Revz have life in them, why not keep those for the city, and get these for your trip to the mountains?

Both the Michelins together ar 10-11 K. The Revz are nearly the same.

Both the Ceats are less than half of that.

OR

Another way of looking at it, especially if you are a 390 rider.

You can get BOTH, and still be under the price of a set of new Metzelers.

Last edited by ebonho : 31st May 2014 at 13:03.
Old 31st May 2014, 15:45   #2421
BHPian

Quote:
Depends on the use. If the Revz have life in them, why not keep those for the city, and get these for your trip to the mountains?

Both the Michelins together ar 10-11 K. The Revz are nearly the same.

Both the Ceats are less than half of that.

OR

Another way of looking at it, especially if you are a 390 rider.

You can get BOTH, and still be under the price of a set of new Metzelers.
Yup that's what I plan to do. Get a set of Michelin's for the city and a set of vertigo's for touring.

Thanks
Old 31st May 2014, 15:59   #2422
Senior - BHPian

I'm probably being paranoid here but between your home and that off road haven is the highway, mostly good roads.

Won't braking n overall stability be compromised? It seems like a dangerous proposition to me. These ceats are less than 4 times the price of Metz. If this indeed is a safe option what stops Bajaj from putting these on the bikes at the factory itself n reduce the price another 15k ....... Lure in some more junta by upping the vaue quotient.

I truly believe in using an item based on the fit for purpose concept as opposed to try and make it something it was never meant to be.
Old 31st May 2014, 16:44   #2423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
I'm probably being paranoid here but between your home and that off road haven is the highway, mostly good roads.

Won't braking n overall stability be compromised? It seems like a dangerous proposition to me. These ceats are less than 4 times the price of Metz. If this indeed is a safe option what stops Bajaj from putting these on the bikes at the factory itself n reduce the price another 15k ....... Lure in some more junta by upping the vaue quotient.

I truly believe in using an item based on the fit for purpose concept as opposed to try and make it something it was never meant to be.
But that's exactly the point!

I believe the Revz and the Metz are the right tyres for the bike. But the wrong country.

We just do not have the roads here. And every time a wheel goes, you are set back by around the price of a revz tyre.

Cheap right?

But when you sit and calculate the mathematics come home to you.

Tyres add about 75 paise to a rupee per km to your running cost.

Petrol is about 3 rupees a km.

Service, spares, consumables is about 40 paise to 50 paise per km.

If you hit one bad pothole at speed once every 10,000kms, that's an addition ONE RUPEE PER KM.

Its time Bajaj/KTM rethink their tyre choice.
Old 31st May 2014, 16:49   #2424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But that's exactly the point!

I believe the Revz and the Metz are the right tyres for the bike. But the wrong country.

We just do not have the roads here. And every time a wheel goes, you are set back by around the price of a revz tyre.

Cheap right?

But when you sit and calculate the mathematics come home to you.

Tyres add about 75 paise to a rupee per km to your running cost.

Petrol is about 3 rupees a km.

Service, spares, consumables is about 40 paise to 50 paise per km.

If you hit one bad pothole at speed once every 10,000kms, that's an addition ONE RUPEE PER KM.

Its time Bajaj/KTM rethink their tyre choice.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, are you inferring that running 120/80-17 tubeless tyres on the rear of dukes can lessen the chances of bending the alloys when hitting a pothole hard?

Is it really safe to run a 120 section tyre on a rim which is meant to take 150 section tyres?
Old 31st May 2014, 17:12   #2425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong, are you inferring that running 120/80-17 tubeless tyres on the rear of dukes can lessen the chances of bending the alloys when hitting a pothole hard?
Based on the side wall height and air cushion yes.

Quote:
Is it really safe to run a 120 section tyre on a rim which is meant to take 150 section tyres?
If you've been following this discussion from the begining, this is exactl one of the concerns I had earlier. But if its been used by rally guys and that too in competition then it must mean its taken more than a few serious whacks. If there was an issue of the tyre popping out, we would have heard of it by now probably.
Old 31st May 2014, 17:20   #2426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So no modification to the front fender needed. That's super news. Thanks buddy.
Quote:
Doc, the person who has the above duke said that the tire does rub the front fender. After running for around 1500 kms it becomes fine.

By the way, I am getting the Michelin pilot streets for my bike tomorrow.
Doc, the person has removed his front mudguard and is due for some mods on it and has said it would take a week for this. Let us wait for him to reveal this.
Although the pics tells a different story, I think if the mudguard flexes during travel, it might touch the tires. He mentioned that this may not be an issue after 1.5K kms by which the tires would have lost some rubber.

@Aditya: Let us know your experience on the MPS. By the way how much mileage have you clocked on the ride?
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2014, 17:35   #2427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post

@Aditya: Let us know your experience on the MPS. By the way how much mileage have you clocked on the ride?
I have done 8.5k kms on mine and suffered two minor and one major puncture on the rear tire.
Old 1st June 2014, 13:27   #2428
BHPian

Finally after lots of decision making,got the vertigo sports . Now the bike handles well in rough surfaces and bumps. Totally satisfied.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-1401609405199.jpg  

aditya.bhardwaj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2014, 13:41   #2429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally after lots of decision making,got the vertigo sports . Now the bike handles well in rough surfaces and bumps. Totally satisfied.
So you have pulled the ABS fuse?
Old 1st June 2014, 13:43   #2430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
So you have pulled the ABS fuse?
Nope. The abs works perfectly fine
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks