Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2014, 10:51   #2431
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Aditya you did not change the front yet? Let us know how the Vertigo does on your bike, especially on tarmac.
Old 2nd June 2014, 11:46   #2432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Aditya you did not change the front yet? Let us know how the Vertigo does on your bike, especially on tarmac.
Doc I didn't change the front yet. It is good for 4-5k kms more. I am facing one issue. The rear is bouncing after 80 kph. I will try by having a bit less air pressure. Maybe 27 or 28 psi. Some friends are saying it is due to the unevenness of the tire which to an extent I agree. According to this the bouncing should go after covering 200 kms or so when the rubber becomes even. Do you have an idea why I am facing this ? Other than this, the tire is just brilliant over bad patches and off road. Tried some yesterday. It just flies over rough roads. Well worth the 2.2k I spent on the tire.
Old 2nd June 2014, 12:12   #2433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Some friends are saying it is due to the unevenness of the tire which to an extent I agree. According to this the bouncing should go after covering 200 kms or so when the rubber becomes even.
I dont think so. IF the tire is uneven along its circumference, it will be a manufacturing defect and can lead to loss of traction/wobbly ride and it wont go away post 200kms. What pressure are you running on now?

Last edited by man_of_steel : 2nd June 2014 at 12:14.
Old 2nd June 2014, 12:16   #2434
Senior - BHPian

Important question.

When you put an after market tyre on a bike, what pressure do you use?

That recomended by the bike manufacturer?

Or that recommended by the tyre manufacturer?

Also, please be careful while speeding on tarmac on the Vertigo. Its max rated speed is way less than that of the MRF revz.
Old 2nd June 2014, 12:24   #2435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
I dont think so. IF the tire is uneven along its circumference, it will be a manufacturing defect and can lead to loss of traction/wobbly ride and it wont go away post 200kms. What pressure are you running on now?

Yes i completely agree. I will check for a day or two. If it doesn't get sorted will get it changed.

Quote:
Important question.

When you put an after market tyre on a bike, what pressure do you use?

That recomended by the bike manufacturer?

Or that recommended by the tyre manufacturer?

Also, please be careful while speeding on tarmac on the Vertigo. Its max rated speed is way less than that of the MRF revz.
Doc, I was using 30 psi till yesterday. Today morning shifted to 28 psi. No difference at all. Can still feel the bounce. And yes the first thing I checked was the speed rating. I won't be going above 120 kmph with this tire on.
Old 2nd June 2014, 12:35   #2436
Senior - BHPian

A 390 with Vertigo Race 130/80-17. Seen in one of the FB groups.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-1401692699650.jpg  

man_of_steel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2014, 12:49   #2437
BHPian

Now I am really confused. If this doesn't get sorted then I will have to exchange for another tire. I have only two options left. Mrf revz ( d200 ) or the michelin pilot sport radial.

Doc, anyone - any suggestions ?
Old 2nd June 2014, 12:52   #2438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now I am really confused. If this doesn't get sorted then I will have to exchange for another tire. I have only two options left. Mrf revz ( d200 ) or the michelin pilot sport radial.

Doc, anyone - any suggestions ?
If budget for a Metz is a concern, Rev-z will be a good bet. Else stick to Metz.

BTW. What is the bouncing feel above 80kmph you are mentioning about? It occurs even on smooth tarmac?

PS: Sorry, you are exchanging right? Did'nt read that properly.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 2nd June 2014 at 12:54.
Old 2nd June 2014, 12:55   #2439
BHPian

Quote:
If budget for a Metz is a concern, Rev-z will be a good bet. Else stick to Metz.

BTW. What is the bouncing feel above 80kmph you are mentioning about? It occurs even on smooth tarmac?
@man of steel - yes I cannot afford a metz at all. Is Michelin not a good option ?

Yes even on very very smooth tarmac, the rear bounces.
Old 2nd June 2014, 13:08   #2440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@man of steel - yes I cannot afford a metz at all. Is Michelin not a good option ?

Yes even on very very smooth tarmac, the rear bounces.
Did you mean the pilot Street? or is it the Sport? The pilot street is a good tire. My friends have used it on CBRs and found it brilliant. But that was against the crappy Conti-GOs.

No personal idea if it is better/bad when compared to Rev-z.

A couple of links on the same.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3345173

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3377809

If you are sticking on to the Rev-z you can safely assume that the ABS will work fine as the size and profiles are same.

BTW. Whats the price of the pilot street/sports?
Old 2nd June 2014, 13:19   #2441
BHPian

Quote:
Did you mean the pilot Street? or is it the Sport? The pilot street is a good tire. My friends have used it on CBRs and found it brilliant. But that was against the crappy Conti-GOs.

No personal idea if it is better/bad when compared to Rev-z.

A couple of links on the same.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3345173

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3377809

If you are sticking on to the Rev-z you can safely assume that the ABS will work fine as the size and profiles are same.

BTW. Whats the price of the pilot street/sports?
Thank you. Just went through the links. As per the people who used the Michelin's, they are happy with the tire. And as far as I know revz is really bad in the wet. I have time till tomorrow as the tire shop is closed today.

Never knew sourcing a tire would be this cumbersome.

Pilot street rear 140/70 17 is for 5k.
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2014, 14:15   #2442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And as far as I know revz is really bad in the wet.
Can't say I share the same opinion.

And if wet performance is the criterion here, the Ceat Secura/Vertigo are not going to be anywhere close to as good as the Revz is in the wet on good tarmac.

The Revz is actually a very good tyre. But if you're getting Michelin at just a little more (or even the PSD's) then I would try them out.

Plus the Michelin seems to have a better side wall height than the Revz/Metz as well.
Old 2nd June 2014, 14:40   #2443
BHPian

Quote:
Can't say I share the same opinion.

And if wet performance is the criterion here, the Ceat Secura/Vertigo are not going to be anywhere close to as good as the Revz is in the wet on good tarmac.

The Revz is actually a very good tyre. But if you're getting Michelin at just a little more (or even the PSD's) then I would try them out.

Plus the Michelin seems to have a better side wall height than the Revz/Metz as well.
Alright. I will go tomm and check it out. First preference would be for the vertigo. Will replace it. If the problem still persists, will go for michelin then.

Thanks
Old 2nd June 2014, 15:06   #2444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Alright. I will go tomm and check it out. First preference would be for the vertigo. Will replace it. If the problem still persists, will go for michelin then.

Thanks
Good choice. A button tyre will be way better in the gravel and slush. Where even 60-80 is high speed. You can always get the Michelin or PSD or even Revz when you come back to flat land riding.

Try playing around with your air pressure to see if there's a level at which the jumping reduces.

The Ceats are different rubber compound (harder) as well as different profile (tall sidewal, big air cushion). Both could be having an effect.

Last edited by ebonho : 2nd June 2014 at 15:09.
Old 2nd June 2014, 17:44   #2445
Senior - BHPian

Not sure about the credibility of the news, but still..

Quote:
KTM is recalling all Duke 390′s manufactured till March for a front sprocket issue. The design of the front sprocket on the Duke 390 is such that it can get misaligned, resulting in the chain leaving it and coming out. The problem is with the lock and KTM has modified the sprocket design to ensure such a problem does not persist anymore. The Austrian firm is replacing the front sprocket free of charge and the whole exercise will take under 45 minutes. Bikes manufactured from March 2014 onwards aren’t part of the recall as the newly designed sprocket is already being used on the latest produced bikes.
The old sprocket is quite dangerous as leaving of the chain at speed can result in a lock up of the rear tyre and thus skidding. KTM dealers aren’t calling anyone to inform about this just yet but our long term bike had gone for a wash and that’s when we figured this out. Since the Duke 390 is solely manufactured in India for the world, expect even export models to require a change of the front sprocket.

Source: http://www.motorbeam.com/bikes/ktm-d...rocket-change/
man_of_steel is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks