Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2014, 10:07   #2521
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Gives rise to a thought that it might be some kind of electronic failure, perhaps?
I don't know about your other rides, you sure don't have to idle a modern motorcycle like the KTM. Like I said, bringing the engine to optimum operating temperature will be faster when you get moving than just letting it idle. I idle a hot engine only after a hard ride, not otherwise.

You sure have a problem with the display staying at "____". It should register some information from fuel levels.
Old 26th June 2014, 16:47   #2522
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely undoubtely positively comprehensively unambiguously definitely surely unquestionably the BEST 20,000 bucks one can spend on his Duke.

The before and after comparison is quite simply INSANE!

And the bike IS scary. Very very scary.

And no, the Metzelers cannot cope. Do not cope.

Enjoy .......

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20140626wa0004.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20140626wa0005.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20140626wa0006.jpg

If one is bored of his bike, and wants a cheap and effective fix to explode one's now jaded brain cells, without actually buying another bike, THIS is IT!

P.S. And I've not even gotten to the note yet .....

Last edited by ebonho : 26th June 2014 at 16:49.
ebonho is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 16:58   #2523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
the BEST 20,000 bucks one can spend on his Duke.
Doc, does this scrape while cornering on right handers?

I've seen a 390 with the IXIL pipes (twin pipes - 1x2 config) which was scraping and scrubbing the tarmac at every right hander on the MMST track near Chennai.
Old 26th June 2014, 17:03   #2524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Doc, does this scrape while cornering on right handers?

I've seen a 390 with the IXIL pipes (twin pipes - 1x2 config) which was scraping and scrubbing the tarmac at every right hander on the MMST track near Chennai.
No man, these are much higher than even the stock box at the bottom - see the side on photos.

Now compare .....

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-ixil_ktm_duke125200_hyperlow_xl1.jpg

Do not want to get into comparing pipes here, because short of a proper dyno, everyone will claim anything depending on where their loyalties (or monies) lie.

I would not be exagerating when I say that before this with the 390s and the 650s, the 650 boys could run but they could not hide.

Well, now they can't run.

And this is not hyperbole. I invite people in Pune, equal riders, to come check it out.

And man the sound ..... no need for a horn anymore. Brutal.

Last edited by ebonho : 26th June 2014 at 17:15.
Old 26th June 2014, 17:16   #2525
BHPian

Quote:
And man the sound ..... no need for a horn anymore. Brutal.
Please post ze video!
Old 26th June 2014, 17:20   #2526
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluu View Post
Please post ze video!

I don't have either a video or access to You Tube here in office bro. Sorry. There is a decibel killer terminal baffle as an accessory as part of the package too, that spikes your initial pickup as well. And makes things more civilized for the city. But I would honestly just use it as a paperweight than bring it anywhere close to this pipe and the way it sings in mid and top.

No 390 I have ridden bounces off the rev limiter quite so effortlessly and readily in 4th and 5th (not yet had the b***s or the road to try in 6th). So crazy is the rev climb that initially we thought we were having fueling issues with the new K&N (part of the 20K) .....
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 17:22   #2527
BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely undoubtedly positively comprehensively unambiguously definitely surely unquestionably the BEST 20,000 bucks one can spend on his Duke.
That's the strongest most vocal recommendation I have heard in this thread. something to really check out. So Doc. what does 20,000 gets us apart from, the K&N filter, silencer with Baffle anything more and then Sound is a deterrent as cops will have a field day with bikes fitted with these silencers. You say now 650 can't run. that is serious performance increment that we are speaking. Thanks for your contribution
Quote:
I hasten to add the standard disclaimer. I do not get a rupee for any silencer sold beyond this point.
No I did not mean it that way at all. That thought never crossed me knowing you personally all these years. My saying that meant if a rider like you have made such a strong statement, then it is really worthwhile for me to check out the silencer and may be even get one fitted ASAP. I trust and respect you a lot and your words mean a lot to me.

Last edited by ashkamath : 26th June 2014 at 17:42.
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 17:25   #2528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
That's the strongest most vocal recommendation I have heard in this thread. something to really check out.
I hasten to add the standard disclaimer. I do not get a rupee for any silencer sold beyond this point.
Old 26th June 2014, 17:33   #2529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Suggestions required:
http://ktmpartsonline.com/index.php?...arch=ERGO+seat

+

http://ktmpartsonline.com/index.php?...arch=ERGO+seat

Expensive, but it depends on how much your backside is worth to you.
Old 26th June 2014, 17:47   #2530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So Doc. what does 20,000 gets us apart from, the K&N filter, silencer with Baffle anything more and then Sound is a deterrent as cops will have a field day with bikes fitted with these silencers. You say now 650 can't run. that is serious performance increment that we are speaking. Thanks for your contribution
The exhaust is designed on CAD and cut and welded in segments on some fancy pretty expensive equipement. Its got a dual layered perforated core with glasswool in between. Its anchored to the chassis at 3 main points - perfectly sturdy. This particular one is crafted from 100% stainless steel, and costs 15K. There is another model that is aliminium and MS (silver and black look) that I think cost 9K. Don't know how both compare so won't talk about something I've not ridden myself.

Best part is its plug and play. No farting. No burping. No stalling. No overheating (bike runs actually cooler as noticed by us in similar traffic/road conditions). No backfires (well some, very minor). The ECU apparently adjusts within 500 odd kms of riding on it. There are 25 bikes out there with these and all are doing great (except one guy who had some unrelated issues of stalling which he was linking to the exhaust till he put the stock one back and stil had the same issues).

It takes about 2 hours to install properly. The K&N was from Pro Biker for some 4.5K odd. Stock replacement. Million mile guarantee.

Quote:
No I did not mean it that way at all. That thought never crossed me knowing you personally all these years. My saying that meant if a rider like you have made such a strong statement, then it is really worthwhile (and many others here) to check out the silencer and may be even get one fitted asap. I trust and respect you a lot and your words ( read recommendations) mean a lot to me.
Come on man Ashok. I know you did not mean it any way and my disclaimer was not for you - I know you for as many years as you know me bro! And the respect as a person and as a rider is mutual. Just a simple one for the board in general, because as we all know, there are people who do use platforms such as this to pimp their parts and/or services. And to be honest, I've seen it here as well (on Team BHP). A forum is a coming together of enthusiasts. Best to keep commercial interests at bay, as it then causes unnecessary complications and heartburn. So better not to have any misunderstandings.

Last edited by ebonho : 26th June 2014 at 18:11.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 00:14   #2531
BHPian

Looks a bit like Leovince's Cobra Exhaust Design.

Old 27th June 2014, 04:15   #2532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why the disclaimer doc? You haven't mentioned the retailer, heck .......... You haven't even mentioned what exhaust it is

I'm gonna hazard a guess that it's the GPR scarico inspired creation. Remember seeing a YouTube video of it somewhere

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 27th June 2014 at 04:18.
Old 27th June 2014, 11:08   #2533
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Experienced a small problem in the morning. After a km from home I noticed a short but abrupt cut in the engine at 3rd gear. The bike rode fine after that for sometime but then the same problem happened again. It happened when I was on partial throttle. Again after another couple of kms of running fine the engine abruptly cuts off again with MIL on in a car ling traffic. I cranked the bike but it didnt start. After switching the kill switch off and on the engine started but was struggling to maintain the idle rpm. I then swiched off both kill switch and ignition key, waited for sometime and then started the bike and the bike rode like nothing happened at all. It was fine till the time I reached office and the issue didnt happen again. Any pointers on this? Anyone?
Old 27th June 2014, 11:09   #2534
Senior - BHPian

Its only when you ride a 390 with an exhaust like this do you realise how choked up modern engines necessarily are to meet all sorts of regulations.

Its only when you stand behind such a exhaust that you realise that the 390 really is a high revving bike sure, but its heart is still that of a big single - as the pulses hit you strongly in the face.

And its only when you hear the angry blaaaaaaaaaaat as the revs rise and then the bike goes into what can only be described traditionally as an old school two stroke hitting its powerband that you realise that God still loves bikers.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 13:31   #2535
Senior - BHPian

^^ that's poetry

You mentioned that the Metz can't cope with all the power? Too much sliding whilst cornering? If not Metz then what?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks