Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2014, 15:24   #2716
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanskumar View Post
On second thoughts, does it have to do anything with first service which was done yesterday morning?
Check the tyre pressure.
Old 27th August 2014, 15:25   #2717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know, I tried reading up on earlier posts for the city riding and have only heard people say good things. The bike is new, got it 20 days back. have done 1100km so far.
You wernt riding on the white lines by any chance, were you? Did you check the tyre pressure?

Ah , same thing as post above. A second later
Old 28th August 2014, 00:24   #2718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys I rode back home last night ~20km in heavy rains and it was f**king scary! These stock tyres are pretty useless. The bike was pretty much sliding on the roads at the speed of 60kmph. And I'm supposed to do a ride up north east in a weeks time on the same bike. Do you think I should be changing my tyres? Or it is manageable with slow speeds?
I think it's more an issue of hydroplaning, not the issue of tyre per se. I guess hydroplaning causes loss of rider control, and the classic tell tale signs you've mentioned, which is caused by speeding in wet conditions, I've faced them numerous times in my P220 where the rear just fishtails, opening the throttle, I would dare do that in my 390. Take it easy.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 28th August 2014, 05:20   #2719
Senior - BHPian

I cannot believe the stock tyres are blamed on a wet surface. Thought those Metz were superb in wet.

At 60kmph were you riding over the white lines, straight line or in curves.

Too many variables to blame the tyre. How old are the tyres.

Was it the front end sliding or the rear?.

Was the road wet or complete covered in water.

On the same note, i cannot imagine 60 in my bull in rain. I am sure i leave it to gods at that speed in rain in my bull when i have to brake suddenly. I usually keep the handle bar straight, stand up and pretty much be ready for any evasive movie star like jump to avoid getting crushed when i have to brake suddenly.

On the 390 i was so sure of braking from that speed in that condition. The tyres were like the feet of a gecko compared to my bull.
Old 29th August 2014, 15:56   #2720
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Since you have done more than 1k the tires are properly run in.
That leaves us with tire pressure. I think your bike tyres were over inflated. Bikes are very sensitive to variations in Tyre pressure. Metzler are very good Tyre. Get yourself a good tire gauge. Also lower the pressure to 1 or 2 psi below recommended when riding in wet

I have done 80 kph plus in my humble pulsar 180 in rains with good tires and also braked at those speeds without problems
Old 30th August 2014, 11:30   #2721
BHPian

Can you guys tell me the ideal pressure in the front and rear tyre? Solo riding 99% of the times.
Old 30th August 2014, 13:10   #2722
BHPian

Quote:
Can you guys tell me the ideal pressure in the front and rear tyre? Solo riding 99% of the times.
Rear 28.5. Front 26-27(depending on how much comfort & grip you want)
Old 30th August 2014, 13:16   #2723
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Get a good pressure gauge online. Petrol pump gauges or local garage gauges are seldom accurate
Old 30th August 2014, 13:24   #2724
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

i have been using 25 F and 30 R and riding solo all the time. so far, havent had any major tyre grip related scary situation (touch wood).

ON another note, most of us have done 10k + on the 390, some even 25K+ kms. So would it be safe now to say that 390 engine is reliable/good with respect to time/kms?
Old 30th August 2014, 15:48   #2725
BHPian

Has anyone tried using these? - http://www.dirtsack.in/products/tail...ucts/tail-bags
The trail bag makes a super backrest also. The only issue will be getting on and off the bike :-/

I'm going on a 10 day ride and I'm afraid the saddles I have won't have enough space like the bullet ones do :(
Old 31st August 2014, 00:35   #2726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
i have been using 25 F and 30 R and riding solo all the time. so far, havent had any major tyre grip related scary situation (touch wood).

ON another note, most of us have done 10k + on the 390, some even 25K+ kms. So would it be safe now to say that 390 engine is reliable/good with respect to time/kms?
20k anybike would easily do, and it's not a matter of reliability. I'd term it as pseudo-science, I mean, come on Nasir, 10k to 20k doesn't mean it's a reliable standard, and the post means to say that the bike isn't meant for even 5k KMS the max

But that aside, I guess 20k without any problems is a good sign, not everyone gets the same side of the coin, but yes, the Joker is the D390

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 31st August 2014 at 00:36.
Old 1st September 2014, 10:17   #2727
BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone tried using these? - http://www.dirtsack.in/products/tail...ucts/tail-bags
The trail bag makes a super backrest also. The only issue will be getting on and off the bike :-/

I'm going on a 10 day ride and I'm afraid the saddles I have won't have enough space like the bullet ones do :(
They make an identical bag for the TBTS with only difference being the way the straps come around the bag (I think dimensions are similar). I have used it for my Ladakh ride.
If that is anything to go by, then the bag provided excellent back support, and did not budge from it's place. But if I overstuffed the bag, then instead of it being a back rest, I had to make space for it as it would be hard and poke into my back, because of it's shape. So better to stuff it with soft stuff . If you have their saddle bags (I just ordered mine for the 390), it makes a good combination as they do not overlap in terms of space or tying them to the bike.

Also, in terms of getting on and off I think it will be a challenge. When I see the Duke and the Thunderbird parked side by side, the rider's seat on the Duke feels higher and the rear seat of the Duke is definitely higher. So you will have to aim for the stratosphere with your leg to swing over the bag. Better technique may be to try and push it across the front seat while holding it parallel to the ground and using the handle bar for balance.
I hope someone else can pitch in with an actual usage (of the Duke specific bag).

Last edited by Insearch : 1st September 2014 at 10:47. Reason: Adding comments
Old 1st September 2014, 10:25   #2728
BHPian

Quote:
25 front and 30 back if you are riding solo. 25 F and 32 B if riding two up. Back tyre wears out faster if you drive with less than 32 while riding two up. Above 32 while riding solo will get you unwanted wheel spins and slides.

Quote:
Considering the 390 is a highly stressed engine and the insane way it pampers us, it will be a miracle to survive without a rebuild post 45-50k kms.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 1st September 2014 at 10:41.
Old 1st September 2014, 11:11   #2729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
Considering the 390 is a highly stressed engine and the insane way it pampers us, it will be a miracle to survive without a rebuild post 45-50k kms.
Beg to differ. the 375cc unit for sure is tuned for higher power but is never a stressed engine. 'Stressed' is what you feel when an engine vibration is too much and will rattle off all the breath from you while running out of breath itself. Take a Royal Enfield 500 above 120kmph(or even 100) and you will know what really a 'stressed' engine is. Where as in 390 even a 120kmph cruise will not really feel like a 120 because you wont feel the engine stressed.

The only problem I see is, as the engine runs hot (I mean HOT) most of the times, it might suffer some blown oil seals or gaskets frequently.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 1st September 2014 at 11:18.
Old 1st September 2014, 14:57   #2730
BHPian

Quote:
I have done around 7,000 kms and have been advised to get my shims replaced as they have started making noises. This was when I went for my 3rd service recently.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks