Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2014, 19:05   #3271
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
To give you a fair idea, i maintain 26-F & 30-R in my D200. Over a period of 2 weeks, the front would probably be at 22-23 & rear at around 25-26. So definitely do not agree with the tyre shop guy. Did you visit the SVC to check your rim the last time?? I had this issue with the FZ16 where the rear tyre would lose pressure from 36 to 12-15 within 3 days. It was a rim issue but not a visible bend. Don't exactly remember what was done but the issue was not fully fixed. I sold the FZ in a short period since it had lot more issues (very lemony to tolerate)
yes the example you provided does gives me an idea about what is normal so thanks . Most folks I asked locally are not the type who care about these details .

So far I have not discussed this with SVC . I initially observed this in the 10/15 days following delivery but for about 10 days until puncture monday this week, I had not bothered because it was getting on my nerves . Today on a hunch I decided to get it checked . I will call them tomorrow , will carry out another check on sunday and if it loses pressure again , will let it be their headache .

The initial checks were done because the change in handling was noticeable . The roads are bad here , very uneven(not as in potholed but slight waves ) so that doesn't helps either .

in reference to the question in the other thread -
"How is the front holding up by the way? What is the loss of pressure on the front tyre?"

front today read 18 , earlier on monday it was re-inflated back to 25( in the confusion following my first puncture , I had not asked the pressure before refill that day) . Before this it has gone down to 17 or 18 once , 3-5 psi drops other times .

From visual inspection , the tires both front and back seem perfect even though rear today was 33% lower than normal . There is a chance both my and tire guy's gauge is faulty , I am banking on this and will not only purchase a new good quality gauge but get 2nd opinion from other places but that is just me clutching at straws , deep down I have a feeling I am in for some worry times .
Old 6th November 2014, 19:11   #3272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
From visual inspection , the tires both front and back seem perfect even though rear today was 33% lower than normal . There is a chance both my and tire guy's gauge is faulty , I am banking on this and will not only purchase a new good quality gauge but get 2nd opinion from other places but that is just me clutching at straws , deep down I have a feeling I am in for some worry times .
Where do you get the tyres inflated? Petrol pumps or tyre shop? If you think the gauge is faulty, you should get the tyre inflated to recommended PSI from your regular place, use the bike for 3-4 days, go back to the same place and get it checked. Also you generally check pressure on cold tyres. So right after a ride, the reading of a hot tyre will not always be correct.

EDIT: 3-5 PSI loss of the front tyre over 4 days though quick is still better compared to 12-15 PSI loss in the rear over the same period.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 6th November 2014 at 19:13.
Old 6th November 2014, 19:23   #3273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Where do you get the tyres inflated? Petrol pumps or tyre shop? If you think the gauge is faulty, you should get the tyre inflated to recommended PSI from your regular place, use the bike for 3-4 days, go back to the same place and get it checked. Also you generally check pressure on cold tyres. So right after a ride, the reading of a hot tyre will not always be correct.

EDIT: 3-5 PSI loss of the front tyre over 4 days though quick is still better compared to 12-15 PSI loss in the rear over the same period.
So far tire has been inflated either at -
1. a shabby shop very close to my house(same guy fixed puncture this monday) , his knowledge is clearly flawed and his instruments might be too . My regular place down to convenience .
2. Indian oil pump , 2 times so far during refills , doesn't tells existing pressure as there is no gauge .

All previous checks which showed drop in pressure were done after 10km+riding , the one done today though was after just 1.5k . Ridden it 2 hours earlier for 25km though tire would have cooled down in meantime.

There is an automobile road (has everything including more than 1 tire shop) here but involves 5km riding through infuriating traffic , however I will do that this Sunday and get it check by a couple of shops there . I will also purchase a new gauge , my current one is a cheap gauge and I don't trust it much . Just enough to give a rough figure .

Good thing is it doesn't renders the bike useless within the span of a day so I can enjoy it otherwise . But in the long run if there is indeed an issue , better get it fixed sooner . Lets see how the reading drops this weekend , fingers crossed.

Last edited by basuroy : 6th November 2014 at 19:27.
Old 6th November 2014, 21:08   #3274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I kind of chanced upon this in the dark while darting one side to the next playing hide n seek with huge potholes laced liberally and randomly all across the diversions off NH4. It works. But like blipping up for downshifts you have to time it right and be smooth and quick.
When I rode this time I noticed that I always blip before downshifting, a habit I developed out of fear of stalling. As you said I don't hear the khatak sound while downshifting. But I hear it most of the time while upshifting.
Old 6th November 2014, 21:37   #3275
BHPian

Quote:
So far tire has been inflated either at -
1. a shabby shop very close to my house(same guy fixed puncture this monday) , his knowledge is clearly flawed and his instruments might be too . My regular place down to convenience .
2. Indian oil pump , 2 times so far during refills , doesn't tells existing pressure as there is no gauge .

All previous checks which showed drop in pressure were done after 10km+riding , the one done today though was after just 1.5k . Ridden it 2 hours earlier for 25km though tire would have cooled down in meantime.

There is an automobile road (has everything including more than 1 tire shop) here but involves 5km riding through infuriating traffic , however I will do that this Sunday and get it check by a couple of shops there . I will also purchase a new gauge , my current one is a cheap gauge and I don't trust it much . Just enough to give a rough figure .

Good thing is it doesn't renders the bike useless within the span of a day so I can enjoy it otherwise . But in the long run if there is indeed an issue , better get it fixed sooner . Lets see how the reading drops this weekend , fingers crossed.
Change the valve . I had the same problem as you and this fixed it. The SA at KTM immediately knew what it was when I told him the problem.
howler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 21:46   #3276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
Change the valve . I had the same problem as you and this fixed it. The SA at KTM immediately knew what it was when I told him the problem.
Thank you for the suggestion , immensely helpful and will suggest the same to the SA . The dealership here is new and sold a grand total of 4 390's and a dozen 200 so their experience is not on par with the metro cities for example , tips like this go a long way in rectifying these annoying things

I am not aware of the process involved to change valve hence curious does it involves taking the wheel off the axle and does the SVC does it in house or will refer me to a 3rd party tire shop ?

Last edited by basuroy : 6th November 2014 at 21:48.
Old 7th November 2014, 08:07   #3277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
Now I have to go again tomorrow to ask them to replace the stepper motor.
I have not read past comments on what all has been done.

I did a little reading on google on the function of a stepper motor. The problems you are facing can be the result of even a weak battery. Quoting some text. "A weak battery can result in a reduced spark which will hinder starting. It can also cause glitches in the ecu. But most importantly, dropping voltage will cause the injectors to open much more slowly and in some cases, to never open fully. Also, the fuel pump will not be able to build and maintain as high a pressure, which in some cases can result in reduced fuel rail pressure."
Old 7th November 2014, 09:03   #3278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I have not read past comments on what all has been done.

I did a little reading on google on the function of a stepper motor. The problems you are facing can be the result of even a weak battery. Quoting some text. "A weak battery can result in a reduced spark which will hinder starting. It can also cause glitches in the ecu. But most importantly, dropping voltage will cause the injectors to open much more slowly and in some cases, to never open fully. Also, the fuel pump will not be able to build and maintain as high a pressure, which in some cases can result in reduced fuel rail pressure."
Gave the bike now. The problem becomes complicated because, as the temp rises, the problem goes away entirely.
Old 7th November 2014, 09:18   #3279
BHPian

Quote:
Gave the bike now. The problem becomes complicated because, as the temp rises, the problem goes away entirely.
Or the problem has become simpler. May be the bikes are stumbling because of the lean AF ratio set at idle from the factory. (As the combustion is not efficient during idle in naturally aspirated engines, in order to meet with the exhaust emissions, the pilot circuits are made lean, may be in these machines through the on board computer.) Once the engine heats up it compensates.
NB: I am of the old school and know nothing of the new machines. Actually my jaw dropped when I read that the stepper motor is controlling the idle. The first thing that came into my mind was " What the?!!
regards adrian

Last edited by adrian : 7th November 2014 at 09:21.
Old 7th November 2014, 09:54   #3280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Or the problem has become simpler. May be the bikes are stumbling because of the lean AF ratio set at idle from the factory. (As the combustion is not efficient during idle in naturally aspirated engines, in order to meet with the exhaust emissions, the pilot circuits are made lean, may be in these machines through the on board computer.) Once the engine heats up it compensates.
NB: I am of the old school and know nothing of the new machines. Actually my jaw dropped when I read that the stepper motor is controlling the idle. The first thing that came into my mind was " What the?!!
regards adrian
It's not that simple. If it was because of the lean ratio, why the bike starts on the first attempt itself during cold starting.
Old 7th November 2014, 10:16   #3281
Senior - BHPian

DR.

Congrats. You will enjoy each and every minute of this ownership. And i am starting to think the riding style is a reason for someone of us who never got the stalling problem. We just ride this plastic beast hard
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 10:19   #3282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
She's moving well touch wood. Now just 2800 kms on the clock.
This is some seriously good news. Congratulations.
I wonder, what took you so long.
sharanvenu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 10:20   #3283
BHPian

Quote:
It's not that simple. If it was because of the lean ratio, why the bike starts on the first attempt itself during cold starting.
I gather that the mis- fires occurs during deceleration, with that engine braking going on, right ? In carburetor installed (old school) motorcycles, this is the place were deceleration pops occurs due to temporary leaning out of AFR and these motorcycles start with the first kick unless it is very cold. Why don't you try coasting down with the clutch in (without engine braking) as an experiment and see if the motorcycle mis fires and turns off
regards adrian

Last edited by adrian : 7th November 2014 at 10:24. Reason: adding info
Old 7th November 2014, 10:23   #3284
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the suggestion , immensely helpful and will suggest the same to the SA . The dealership here is new and sold a grand total of 4 390's and a dozen 200 so their experience is not on par with the metro cities for example , tips like this go a long way in rectifying these annoying things

I am not aware of the process involved to change valve hence curious does it involves taking the wheel off the axle and does the SVC does it in house or will refer me to a 3rd party tire shop ?
In my case they sent me with a service agent to the nearest tyre shop who changed it . the wheel doesn't need to be removed.
howler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 10:38   #3285
BHPian

Congrats Doc! Satisfying to see you back on something you have tested pre-launch. Speaks volumes of your faith in the product, and gives me that much more comfort, in my choice.

Hopefully this thread will not be "stalled" now! Here is a thought:

Younger days, I really liked sugarcane juice and would watch incredulously when the cane would be inserted into the crusher for the fourth or fifth time. The mangled mass would release some foam, and the vendor would have a look of satisfaction on his face, that I felt bordered on evil.

Somehow I am getting the same feeling for the last few pages here.
And like VW2010 said: A steed is not everyone's horse

Regards.

Last edited by Insearch : 7th November 2014 at 10:55. Reason: Adding comments
Insearch is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed