Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2014, 14:31   #3601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetveer View Post
Thanks. That's a little relief. I haven't ridden her yet. Any clue abt the noise coming from the gearbox?
Nope. The two guys I know had the low oil pressure warning. They didn't mention any gear noise.
Old 6th December 2014, 14:44   #3602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetveer View Post
Thanks. That's a little relief. I haven't ridden her yet. Any clue abt the noise coming from the gearbox?
One of the guys who had this experience had a faulty oil pressure sensor which was replaced by the SVC guys. Get it checked.
Old 6th December 2014, 21:28   #3603
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Hello All,

Fellow bhpians and ppl particularly from bangalore, i want to buy duke 390 naked version. I had been to KTM langford rd this evening and to me, seemed like the sales folks were not interested in having a decent conversation with me.

They probably seemed very lethargic and whatever limited knowledge i have had thru this thread, was not evident in the way they tried to explain me.

Just wanted to know, whether all authorized dealers in bangalore have the same kind of experiences. Can ppl also suggest, which dealer to go by. I am sure the rates will be same across as well.

I am sure, ppl in this forum might agree or might have a difference of opinion as well.

I am also, contemplating of getting along with the bike delivery the following mods;

1. Gel seats/Pads to give proper cushioning.

2. Want to alter grab rail as, i would want to take my wife as well, for the ocassional rides and also need to pack my luggage as well. Do ppl have dealers in bangalore with whom i can get in touch with, based on your experiences? Pls find attached the grab rail, which i thought should make decent sense, but dont know, who had posted this on the net and if at all available in India.

3. I heard from the sales guy that, there is some stickering that can be done on the new bike, which he quoted Rs. 7k or so. What is the kind of this stickering, any specific benefit. will these stickering gets faded or torn off, by regular wash etc. I shall take the feedback from existing users.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-ktmduketouringhook.jpg  

Old 6th December 2014, 23:14   #3604
BHPian

On the topic of tire , how often did you guys experience a puncture with the metzelers ? In general what was the reason behind opting for michellin over a 2nd round of metz ?

A week back I punctured the rear (loud bang ) and a thick blunt nail believe it or not went in the head/flat side first !! The tires are great and built to a purpose but 3 punctures(one still slightly leaky ) in just 1300 km is too frequent to be practical in the long run , I am looking at an useless tire within 5k km at this rate. Pains me to see the beautiful tire being ruined like this :(

I visited a couple of big tire showrooms here , bridgestone guys said they will charge 500/- per tire for the liquid sealant introduced via valve (microvita brand - website literature is not convincing , tire protector site by contrast made a solid case in their favor ) .

Michellin guys said I will return in a week to get rid of the sealant ( they also sell it ) because of stability issues , I can understand their reasoning but I am willing to sacrifice a bit of stability if it affords me some peace of mind , anyone here who has used a similar product please suggest and share your experience ? Also do I need to bother with the front or only rear will do if I go ahead ?

Another thing and I am not sure if this was always like this or not but since first service , the bike in 3rd gear around 5k rpm has a flat spot , I mean say I throttle hard at/around that rpm in third , there is a hollow sensation/feedback lasting about a second before it starts picking pace .

Last edited by basuroy : 6th December 2014 at 23:16.
Old 7th December 2014, 12:08   #3605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru153 View Post
Hello All,

Fellow bhpians and ppl particularly from bangalore, i want to buy duke 390 naked version. I had been to KTM langford rd this evening and to me, seemed like the sales folks were not interested in having a decent conversation with me.

They probably seemed very lethargic and whatever limited knowledge i have had thru this thread, was not evident in the way they tried to explain me.

Just wanted to know, whether all authorized dealers in bangalore have the same kind of experiences. Can ppl also suggest, which dealer to go by. I am sure the rates will be same across as well.

I am sure, ppl in this forum might agree or might have a difference of opinion as well.

I am also, contemplating of getting along with the bike delivery the following mods;

1. Gel seats/Pads to give proper cushioning.

2. Want to alter grab rail as, i would want to take my wife as well, for the ocassional rides and also need to pack my luggage as well. Do ppl have dealers in bangalore with whom i can get in touch with, based on your experiences? Pls find attached the grab rail, which i thought should make decent sense, but dont know, who had posted this on the net and if at all available in India.

3. I heard from the sales guy that, there is some stickering that can be done on the new bike, which he quoted Rs. 7k or so. What is the kind of this stickering, any specific benefit. will these stickering gets faded or torn off, by regular wash etc. I shall take the feedback from existing users.
Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
On the topic of tire , how often did you guys experience a puncture with the metzelers ? In general what was the reason behind opting for michellin over a 2nd round of metz ?

A week back I punctured the rear (loud bang ) and a thick blunt nail believe it or not went in the head/flat side first !! The tires are great and built to a purpose but 3 punctures(one still slightly leaky ) in just 1300 km is too frequent to be practical in the long run , I am looking at an useless tire within 5k km at this rate. Pains me to see the beautiful tire being ruined like this :(

I visited a couple of big tire showrooms here , bridgestone guys said they will charge 500/- per tire for the liquid sealant introduced via valve (microvita brand - website literature is not convincing , tire protector site by contrast made a solid case in their favor ) .

Michellin guys said I will return in a week to get rid of the sealant ( they also sell it ) because of stability issues , I can understand their reasoning but I am willing to sacrifice a bit of stability if it affords me some peace of mind , anyone here who has used a similar product please suggest and share your experience ? Also do I need to bother with the front or only rear will do if I go ahead ?

Another thing and I am not sure if this was always like this or not but since first service , the bike in 3rd gear around 5k rpm has a flat spot , I mean say I throttle hard at/around that rpm in third , there is a hollow sensation/feedback lasting about a second before it starts picking pace .
ru153,

I got mine from the Mekhri circle KTM and have a good experience with them till date on service too. Rates would differ, albeit a minor amount as the insurance provided by the various dealers are not the same.

As far as the Powerpart gel seat go, it is priced at 10K. You can get it done outside too for a fraction of it, but I would advise you to check the stock seat for a couple of days along with a long ride of about 200kms thrown in and then you can decide what you really prefer. As far as experiences from my fellow riders, the gel seats too do not offer a great improvement and also deteriorates over a period of time.

For the grab rail, there is Mr. Satish Laksh on fb who has designed and fabricated a similar setup. Works fine. Cost is about 3k. Check it out or PM me your mail id, I will send the link and his contact number across.

And the sticker too is a powerpart, so the stratospheric pricing. I would suggest you to look around for a sticker shop in and around your place for cheaper and better pricing.

Basuroy,

That is a painful experience. The Metz are so soft that it is prone to punctures. I had one in my 6.2k on the Metz before I switched over to the Ceat and touchwood, no punctures in the past 12k kms on it with a 8.9km Ladakh drive thrown in in its lifespan till now. One of the riders in Bangalore had 12-14 punctures as far as I know in the 13+k on the Metz even with the TP and city driving.

On Metz, I had the Tire Protector installed for 1050INR after the first puncture. And there were no punctures post installation. For the Ceat, I switched to the Slime, which is more viscous than the TP and also costlier at 1400INR. This was as a group buy, or else it costs 1600INR in Bangalore. No issues with wobbling or instability with both the solutions.

But check out if the guy would pump the solution from the bottom of the drum which can induce more solid sort of particles than the solution which can result in the instability. Avoid having this in all circumstances and ensure that the drum is atleast half filled and vigorously mixed before installation. Also take the bike for a 50-60kms drive post this treatment to ensure the solution sticks over the entire tire surface. And better to have it in both the tyres.
unk9ja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2014, 16:09   #3606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Basuroy,

That is a painful experience. The Metz are so soft that it is prone to punctures. I had one in my 6.2k on the Metz before I switched over to the Ceat .

On Metz, I had the Tire Protector installed for 1050INR after the first puncture. And there were no punctures post installation. For the Ceat, I switched to the Slime, which is more viscous than the TP and also costlier at 1400INR. No issues with wobbling or instability with both the solutions.

But check out if the guy would pump the solution from the bottom of the drum which can induce more solid sort of particles than the solution which can result in the instability. Avoid having this in all circumstances and ensure that the drum is atleast half filled and vigorously mixed before installation. Also take the bike for a 50-60kms drive post this treatment to ensure the solution sticks over the entire tire surface. And better to have it in both the tyres.
Out of curiosity , why did you switch to CEAT ( I am assuming knobby tires suitable for poor roads ? ) so soon ?

Have read good things about tire protector and Slime . Microvita is a similar product but I really doubt quality wise it will be as good/effective . Good to know stability is not compromised and thanks for the heads up

Say I get these solvents (slime , microvita etc assuming the basics are same in all cases ) injected into the tire , can it be removed/cleaned at a later point without any harm to the tire? If yes then I will get the microvita for the time being and later get the better products when the opportunity presents itself .
Old 7th December 2014, 16:26   #3607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Out of curiosity , why did you switch to CEAT ( I am assuming knobby tires suitable for poor roads ? ) so soon ?

Have read good things about tire protector and Slime . Microvita is a similar product but I really doubt quality wise it will be as good/effective . Good to know stability is not compromised and thanks for the heads up

Say I get these solvents (slime , microvita etc assuming the basics are same in all cases ) injected into the tire , can it be removed/cleaned at a later point without any harm to the tire? If yes then I will get the microvita for the time being and later get the better products when the opportunity presents itself .
Been to the top, Ladakh during August-September. So changed to the Ceat. Since I invested 6k in these, I thought of riding with these for some more time. Also have been to Udupi and planning to go a couple of times in the next month on the Shiradi ghats. Metz would wear itself out on this dreaded stretch.

If you are not comfortable with the tire protection solutions, you can always clean the inside of the tyre and use it. It is a bit gooey and would take better of an hour for a tyre.

I would suggest you to get TP instead of the microvita, since I can vouch for it from my fellow riders here along with self.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2014, 16:32   #3608
BHPian

Quote:

I would suggest you to get TP instead of the microvita, since I can vouch for it from my fellow riders here along with self.
Sadly microvita is the only brand available here in bareilly . TP or Slime will require a ride to Delhi and none are in plan right now , I will relocate by March next year to Kolkata so microvita will be a stop gap measure if I decide to go ahead .
Old 7th December 2014, 16:56   #3609
BHPian

Quote:
ru153,

I got mine from the Mekhri circle KTM and have a good experience with them till date on service too. Rates would differ, albeit a minor amount as the insurance provided by the various dealers are not the same.

As far as the Powerpart gel seat go, it is priced at 10K. You can get it done outside too for a fraction of it, but I would advise you to check the stock seat for a couple of days along with a long ride of about 200kms thrown in and then you can decide what you really prefer. As far as experiences from my fellow riders, the gel seats too do not offer a great improvement and also deteriorates over a period of time.

For the grab rail, there is Mr. Satish Laksh on fb who has designed and fabricated a similar setup. Works fine. Cost is about 3k. Check it out or PM me your mail id, I will send the link and his contact number across.

And the sticker too is a powerpart, so the stratospheric pricing. I would suggest you to look around for a sticker shop in and around your place for cheaper and better pricing.
Hi,

Thanks for sharing your feedback. Just wanted to check, on the insurance bit. Does the dealer provide a bumper to bumper kind of insurance available on KTM bikes. I was told there is only comprehensive insurance.

I tried checking out, on the facebook based on the criteria, you had provided, however, could not really get, what i was looking out. Probably i may not be googling out, giving the proper search.

I shall PM you, and you can provide me the contact details and email id as well.

Shall keep you guys updated...
Old 7th December 2014, 18:02   #3610
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for sharing your feedback. Just wanted to check, on the insurance bit. Does the dealer provide a bumper to bumper kind of insurance available on KTM bikes. I was told there is only comprehensive insurance.
Zero dep is available for 390 from multiple companies. My bike came with zero dep and it was renewed just now.
anilp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2014, 20:10   #3611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for sharing your feedback. Just wanted to check, on the insurance bit. Does the dealer provide a bumper to bumper kind of insurance available on KTM bikes. I was told there is only comprehensive insurance..
There was about 100 INR difference when I checked with a few others. I got mine at 213065INR while my friend got it for 213143INR. This was what I mentioned earlier.
Old 7th December 2014, 20:11   #3612
BHPian

The big bro with the little bro

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-wp_20141207_14_29_13_pro.jpg
basuroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 01:42   #3613
Distinguished - BHPian

I have no knowledge of the other tyre sealers but be aware, Slime comes in several different formulas.

The Slime that is made for use in inner-tubes should not be used in tubeless tyres if they are mounted on aluminum rims. This type of Slime will attack and corrode your aluminum rims. The container will be marked "TUBE...". Do NOT use this in your aluminum rim tubeless tyres.

This is what Slime has to say about it

"...
Make sure that, if you have tubeless tires, you are using our tubeless formula. Our inner tube formula does not contain rust and corrosion inhibitors. Do not leave Slime inside your tires for more than 2 years. After that time, we cannot guarantee the integrity of your rims. If pre-existing damage is present, we do not recommend using Slime."

http://slime.com/faq/#generalinformation

Slime that is not corrosive on aluminum rims is identified by the word TIRE, or PRO TIRE or TUBELESS.

Note that even with this non-corrosive sealant, Slime recommends removing it and reapplying it after 2 years.

As for the other brands, read the label and do web searches for others experiences with them. If they are designed to be used in inner tubes there is a very good chance they will corrode your aluminum rims which can cost you a LOT of money to replace.
ArizonaJim is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 20:09   #3614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The big bro with the little bro

Attachment 1316109
Nice. Where did you pick the little bro from?
Old 8th December 2014, 21:36   #3615
BHPian

Quote:
Nice. Where did you pick the little bro from?
Flipkart . They have a good selection available with major brands covered , this is 1:12 scale and these cost around 600/- . 1:18 scale cost 350/- . If you decide on one , I will suggest the bigger one as it isn't that big in the first place .

The detailing is very good , the engine case for example has legible 'LC8 KTM logo and even smaller motorex logo' . The wheels spin and the rear suspension has a spring . Majority component plastic with the fuel tank being metal .

http://www.flipkart.com/toys/vehicle...a-342c6aaa7f81
basuroy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed