Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2013, 15:59   #376
Senior - BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

@90BHP.

The KTM390 requires a taste. It doesnt have the classic look of the CBR250 yet it will smoke CBR250.

Remember the comparison in some of our threads are between 390, Ninja 300 and in some threads with 650 as well. Not that they can be compared apple to apple. But overal package for 2.04L on KTM 390 is way better than what the 250 can offer.

And the bike is yet another pulsar or cbr for that matter in city riding manners. In fact a little tall gearing for city riding but if you are used to riding a bullet you should be at home.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2013, 20:28   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@90BHP
And the bike is yet another pulsar or cbr for that matter in city riding manners. In fact a little tall gearing for city riding but if you are used to riding a bullet you should be at home.
Thanks bud that helps I think I am over the CBR coz when I rode it, it felt too bulky to ride & the feeling of the bike not turning with the wheel due to fairing feels weird to me. Plus again the Honda showroom guys were pathetic with customer service. While I was waiting to discuss the prices the other staff was sitting next to me playing games on their phones & gossiping about other customers like I just didn't exist. So sorry Honda it didn't work for me.

Then I went down to KTM Lower Parel who were more then eager to help, offer water & promptly apologized for delaying in attending to me immediately. I realized when I reached the showroom that I forgot my helmet & the option of test riding the bike outside were out of the window. So the only option left was to ride it it within the compound of the mall. When I started the 390 it felt meaner, it felt hot coz the person before me also had to ride it in the compound due to a similar dilemma. The moment I shifted to first the bike was off, didn't power wheelie even though I had twisted the throttle a fair bit. The max I could go is about 15 kmph & the engine noise became slightly louder but the shift light was not on so I went to the second how ever that felt like the wrong gear. So kept at it till I reached 25 or so the. It felt a bit better. Before I thought of the third I had to brake for a u turn. The way back was open so tried going through the gears a little more quickly and reached third at 30 & the bike stalled. I was sure I didn't pop the clutch, it might just be a specific bike issue. By the time I got back the heat was 2 points below max & my legs felt it. My prime commute is in city & this felt wrong to me. The gears & the heat was a bit tough but my heart was ready to forgive it thinking it might just be the bike I was riding not all. Also it was run only 7.5 Km's till date so might need a bit more run in. That's when I decided to ride the 200 which was about 6500 Km's old, the rep made a face but I had to try it back to back to know the difference. The minute I pushed off the 200 I knew it was more suited to my riding style, I could reach the third gear by 30 or so the handling was similar. The tires felt a bit out of place on the paver blocks in the compound but not bad as my earlier avenger. It felt more suited for city riding but then I will miss on abs & the better tires. Now this is a new dilemma, I am spoilt for choice it seems. The monetary difference does not matter to me but i want to be able to ride the bike in mumbai traffic as well highways sometimes, very rarely however. Is now the 200 a better option for my situation?

Last edited by 90BHP : 4th August 2013 at 20:34. Reason: Spelling Errors
Old 4th August 2013, 21:01   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
Then I went down to KTM Lower Parel who were more then eager to help, offer water & promptly apologized for delaying in attending to me immediately. I realized when I reached the showroom that I forgot my helmet & the option of test riding the bike outside were out of the window. So the only option left was to ride it it within the compound of the mall. When I started the 390 it felt meaner, it felt hot coz the person before me also had to ride it in the compound due to a similar dilemma. The moment I shifted to first the bike was off, didn't power wheelie even though I had twisted the throttle a fair bit. The max I could go is about 15 kmph & the engine noise became slightly louder but the shift light was not on so I went to the second how ever that felt like the wrong gear. So kept at it till I reached 25 or so the. It felt a bit better. Before I thought of the third I had to brake for a u turn. The way back was open so tried going through the gears a little more quickly and reached third at 30 & the bike stalled. I was sure I didn't pop the clutch, it might just be a specific bike issue. By the time I got back the heat was 2 points below max & my legs felt it. My prime commute is in city & this felt wrong to me. The gears & the heat was a bit tough but my heart was ready to forgive it thinking it might just be the bike I was riding not all. Also it was run only 7.5 Km's till date so might need a bit more run in. That's when I decided to ride the 200 which was about 6500 Km's old, the rep made a face but I had to try it back to back to know the difference. The minute I pushed off the 200 I knew it was more suited to my riding style, I could reach the third gear by 30 or so the handling was similar. The tires felt a bit out of place on the paver blocks in the compound but not bad as my earlier avenger. It felt more suited for city riding but then I will miss on abs & the better tires. Now this is a new dilemma, I am spoilt for choice it seems. The monetary difference does not matter to me but i want to be able to ride the bike in mumbai traffic as well highways sometimes, very rarely however. Is now the 200 a better option for my situation?

I suggest you take a longer test ride of both the vehicles before you make up your mind. Once on the city roads you might change your mind about the bigger Duke.

The Duke 200 also heats up in the city, you get used to it. Riding it within the compound wouldn't help the heating woes. The bigger engine on the 390 will heat up more but I don't think there'll be enough of a difference between the two here to be a deal breaker, someone who has ridden both can comment better on this.

With money not being a problem, the extra 50,000 that 390 commands is well worth it, The price of the 390 is bound to go up to at least around 2.5 OTR or so in 6 months time so at that point people going for one wouldn't consider the other and this wouldn't even be a question. Having said all that, if for whatever reason you deem the 390 excessive and believe the 200 better satisfies your needs then go ahead with the the 200. Like I said before take a longer test ride of both.

If you don't like a motorcycle (for whatever reason) in the showroom, it won't go away once it's in your garage. Think long and hard and make your decision. Good luck!
ashwin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2013, 21:07   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin23 View Post
If you don't like a motorcycle (for whatever reason) in the showroom, it won't go away once it's in your garage. Think long and hard and make your decision. Good luck!
Thanks Ashwin, I am eagerly awaiting the next weekend to go for another one. Will post again!
Old 4th August 2013, 22:20   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely true to anything you want to buy. It took me exactly 10 months to sit on a 500 and say i was selling the enticer i had got just 10 months back. Financially foolish decision, but by simple satisfaction level comparison, this was no brainer.

@90BHP,

Please take the bike for a ride outside on a normal traffic with some stretches to see how it will ride as you normally do.

Its a gross injustice to test the bike inside a compound and except an electric scooter if i may say, no other bike will satisfy or help you take a decision on buying.

Take it for a spin and tell us what you feel below 6000 rpm and above 6000RPM
Old 4th August 2013, 22:44   #381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
Now this is a new dilemma, I am spoilt for choice it seems. The monetary difference does not matter to me but i want to be able to ride the bike in mumbai traffic as well highways sometimes, very rarely however. Is now the 200 a better option for my situation?
Please keep in mind that 390 has Metzeler tyres, which are quiet expensive. It will cost around 24K for front and back(not sure) and will last only for 12 thousand kilometers. which means tyres alone will contribute 2Rs/km to the running cost but I think you should choose 390 just for the ABS!

Note from Support - Please avoid quoting an entire lengthy post as it inconveniences our mobile and small screen users. Thanks.

Last edited by n_aditya : 5th August 2013 at 18:54. Reason: quoted text shortened
giri1.8 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2013, 22:49   #382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post

Please keep in mind that 390 has Metzeler tyres, which are quiet expensive. It will cost around 24K for front and back(not sure) and will last only for 12 thousand kilometers. which means tyres alone will contribute 2Rs/km to the running cost but I think you should choose 390 just for the ABS!
Well I'm sure one could buy tyres of other brands for the 390. Its not like the bike won't run without Metzelers.
AbelAFC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2013, 22:51   #383
Senior - BHPian

Also remember,you can ride a 390 as slow as a 200,but you wont be able to ride 200 as fast as a 390
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2013, 23:08   #384
Senior - BHPian

KTM Kochi's test bike is allegedly in for second service already.
Old 4th August 2013, 23:26   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Hasn't it been just about a week since the TD bikes were registered? Or was that just in Bangalore?
Old 4th August 2013, 23:27   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Check out the prices here, you are correct

http://reshamtyre.com/product/100405...(F)%20Tubeless

Believe me all these links are making me fix my choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbelAFC View Post
Hasn't it been just about a week since the TD bikes were registered? Or was that just in Bangalore?
I agree. The test bike in Mumbai is just at 7.5 Km's. Unless a problem was developed. The 200 here intestinal here needed a clutch replacement post 6000 Km's, that's only because of being used by different riders.

Last edited by 90BHP : 4th August 2013 at 23:34. Reason: Duplicate quote
Old 5th August 2013, 13:42   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
It's possible if it is the way we get to test ride the 390 in Trivandrum. I have already done extended rounds on it and the folks at Probike is more than willing to lend. May be, because I have booked the bike and they are liberal with the people who have booked it.

Last edited by SanthoshK : 5th August 2013 at 14:06.
SanthoshK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 18:17   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbelAFC View Post
Well I'm sure one could buy tyres of other brands for the 390. Its not like the bike won't run without Metzelers.
I agree its possible to fit affordable tyres, but will I downgrade my bike's performance to save money? Never!
Old 5th August 2013, 18:26   #389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please keep in mind that 390 has Metzeler tyres, which are quiet expensive. It will cost around 24K for front and back(not sure) and will last only for 12 thousand kilometers. which means tyres alone will contribute 2Rs/km to the running cost
Its not a Hero Honda CD100. Nothing is for free, especially when its a whole load of fun.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 18:50   #390
BHPian

Quote:

I agree its possible to fit affordable tyres, but will I downgrade my bike's performance to save money? Never!
I'm not saying you should, but I'm sure there are cheaper, but as good tyres anyway!
AbelAFC is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks