Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2015, 18:22   #3886
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
..I went ahead and took a test drive in a brand new 390, and surprisingly it also had the same issue.
Are you completely sure that it is not the cam chain sound?
Old 13th February 2015, 18:49   #3887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since I heard from a few riders that they haven't heard any thing resembling tappet noise in their bike....
But I know that the sound has every thing to do with valve clearances and most of the riders are oblivious to it.
Are you referring to a kind of.. Um.. sticky sound during idle? ( I don't know how else to describe it! )
My bike idle note seems like that. Its louder and harsher than my friend's bike.

Last edited by schakravarthy : 13th February 2015 at 18:58.
Old 13th February 2015, 18:53   #3888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
Just curious, what does this sound like? Something like the Enfield cast iron engine tappets?
I also own a cast iron so compared them . Imo , the enfield (mine is worn out engine ) sound is harsher or rather coarser in nature . The duke makes a consistent tick tick sound at idle that increases in frequency with the rpm . This was from day one and with all the ugly clatter the engine makes , this sounded like music so never bothered me . Past few months (bikes 4 months old ) I have observed this sound to be significantly louder once the engine is warmed up . The difference in volume/prominence is massive and also sounds coarse . I am not sure if this was the case since day 1 as well . I mentioned the sound because of Mithun's post btw , it is not something that is high up my concern list . I doubt it can be fixed .

Quote:
I read in a few forums that, valve clearance check is mandatory at KTM for owners outside india. And I am pretty sure that the valve clearance should be way off the recommended, to produce such noise. It slipped out of my technicians mouth that the shims required, to rectify the problem are not available with them. I saw one or two videos in the Youtube on how to change the shims to adjust the clearances. It is simple but a bit time consuming job. And I also suspect that these fellows are not taught how to adjust valve clearances at all.
Yes bikes sold abroad as per manual require clearance check at 1000km and then every 10000km . Here in India , there is no mention of the same (even though both bikes are exact same ) and SVC knows nothing about it either . Valve clearance is very important in high revving bikes and can have a noticeably impact on acceleration . Ask any Ducati owner here without SVC support for over 2 years now and they will agree .

Guys , can you please check your clutch case and see if it is also messy like this -
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-wp_20150213_18_28_10_pro1.jpg
Old 13th February 2015, 19:11   #3889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post

Guys , can you please check your clutch case and see if it is also messy like this -
Mine is not! That looks like a leak from the engine case.

Last edited by schakravarthy : 13th February 2015 at 19:26.
Old 13th February 2015, 20:04   #3890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1339397
That definitely seems to be coming from that crank case breather pipe(I believe the pipe with oil around it is breather pipe only). I am not sure how it is connected to the crank casing. It can be either using a clamp or a silicone glue. I don't see any clamp here, So I am guessing it is silicone glue! Get the connection checked.

Oh. Just to clarify, clutch casing is on the other side of the engine.

[EDIT] I can see another pipe further forward, I am not sure which one of these is the vent hose. This can be a sensor also (Neutral sensor??). Sorry for the confusion!

Last edited by man_of_steel : 13th February 2015 at 20:16.
Old 13th February 2015, 20:45   #3891
BHPian

Hi, The connection up front the engine casing looks like that of the wires coming from the magneto coil. If the leaking one is the crankcase vent, definitely look out for an overfilled sump. There is also a possibility of oil leaking through the engine side cover packing.
regards adrian

Last edited by adrian : 13th February 2015 at 20:46. Reason: typo
Old 13th February 2015, 21:31   #3892
BHPian

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post

[EDIT] I can see another pipe further forward, I am not sure which one of these is the vent hose. This can be a sensor also (Neutral sensor??). Sorry for the confusion!

Both the black pipes are actually have some wires in them. The one with dirt around has 2 wires enclosed and yes they are sealed using silicone glue.

-----
Parts Price update-
Rear disc plate and pads cost 1500rs to replace including labour.

Last edited by Akhilash95 : 13th February 2015 at 21:34.
Old 13th February 2015, 23:35   #3893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Are you completely sure that it is not the cam chain sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
Are you referring to a kind of.. Um.. sticky sound during idle? ( I don't know how else to describe it! )
My bike idle note seems like that. Its louder and harsher than my friend's bike.
Its more like a tick noise, which increases in intensity on more throttle input, but vanishes after about 5000 rpm
Quote:
I also own a cast iron so compared them . Imo , the enfield (mine is worn out engine ) sound is harsher or rather coarser in nature . The duke makes a consistent tick tick sound at idle that increases in frequency with the rpm . This was from day one and with all the ugly clatter the engine makes , this sounded like music so never bothered me . Past few months (bikes 4 months old ) I have observed this sound to be significantly louder once the engine is warmed up . The difference in volume/prominence is massive and also sounds coarse . I am not sure if this was the case since day 1 as well . I mentioned the sound because of Mithun's post btw , it is not something that is high up my concern list . I doubt it can be fixed .

Yes bikes sold abroad as per manual require clearance check at 1000km and then every 10000km . Here in India , there is no mention of the same (even though both bikes are exact same ) and SVC knows nothing about it either . Valve clearance is very important in high revving bikes and can have a noticeably impact on acceleration . Ask any Ducati owner here without SVC support for over 2 years now and they will agree .
There is no sound during the idle, and even if you raise rpm on no load condition.

I think most of the service policy here is dictated by Bajaj. And KTM is taking a big gamble when they compromise on quality over the cost of service. What comes to my mind is the brief alliance between fiat and tata on sharing the sales and service network. It did so much damage to already dwindling brand image for Fiat. This will also happen to KTM. I think the first lot of customers, who have taken a leap of faith, on KTM are the one's who are short changed, ironically, what with the addition of slipper clutch and other features for the same price.

On the topic of valve clearance, is there any good service centre out side KTM, in South India who can actually do a valve clearance correction?
Old 14th February 2015, 12:51   #3894
BHPian

Quote:
Its more like a tick noise, which increases in intensity on more throttle input, but vanishes after about 5000 rpm
It's the shims making the noise. I also have had it on my 390 since the last 5,000 kms. The service guy tells me that it is not a major issue per se and the bike can be ridden as usual. It will just run a bit noisier because of the ticking sound. The only solution to this is to replace the shims which is a day or two days job because they have to drop the engine from the frame to unscrew the valve cover from the top and replace the shims.
Old 14th February 2015, 21:27   #3895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewheelin_KD View Post
It's the shims making the noise. I also have had it on my 390 since the last 5,000 kms. The service guy tells me that it is not a major issue per se and the bike can be ridden as usual. It will just run a bit noisier because of the ticking sound. The only solution to this is to replace the shims which is a day or two days job because they have to drop the engine from the frame to unscrew the valve cover from the top and replace the shims.
Has the sound gone now?? What's the odo reading
Old 15th February 2015, 00:17   #3896
Senior - BHPian

Details on the updated Duke's can be seen here. Linky

Still not sure whether its indeed a slipper clutch or its a triple spring setup. The changes are quite comprehensive and only for the Dukes for the time being.

Cheers
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2015, 10:26   #3897
BHPian

Quote:
Has the sound gone now?? What's the odo reading
Haven't got them replaced as yet so sound is still there. Most probably will run it as it is and will get them replaced when I get sufficient time. Odo is 9000 kms currently.
Freewheelin_KD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2015, 14:05   #3898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewheelin_KD View Post
Haven't got them replaced as yet so sound is still there. Most probably will run it as it is and will get them replaced when I get sufficient time. Odo is 9000 kms currently.
That isn't reassuring at all.
Old 15th February 2015, 20:08   #3899
BHPian

Something very interesting happened today.

50 kilometres into our ride, my partner's bike, the D200 startled us all. We stopped by the roadside for a minute's break. All of a sudden, his engine casing started emitting insane amounts of smoke. It wasn't ordinary smoke. It was smelling pathetic and no flames in sight. My first reaction was that the engine had seized and thus the nauseating smoke. Took out my flash light and on closer inspection, found out that it was his chain which was emitting the smoke, a majority of it just near the front sprocket.

On asking, it turned out he had lubed his chain with YamaLube just the day before on his own. I felt it wasn't something major, and after letting the chain cool down, we resumed. Kept an eye on his chain for the next 100 kilometres, no development. Stopped for breakfast. Same smoke emission routine started. This time, a bit lesser in magnitude.

As soon as we returned to Bangalore, we headed straight to the private service centre I go to. Turns out the quality of the YamaLube was fishy, resulting in drying of the chain, and tightening, causing the smoke while bike was stationary. Last heard, he has already thrown the YamaLube bottle out of his home.

Anyone else using YamaLube faced this issue? Or the reputation of it is not too good?
Old 15th February 2015, 20:33   #3900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Something very interesting happened today.

50 kilometres into our ride, my partner's bike, the D200 startled us all. We stopped by the roadside for a minute's break. All of a sudden, his engine casing started emitting insane amounts of smoke. It wasn't ordinary smoke. It was smelling pathetic and no flames in sight. My first reaction was that the engine had seized and thus the nauseating smoke. Took out my flash light and on closer inspection, found out that it was his chain which was emitting the smoke, a majority of it just near the front sprocket.

On asking, it turned out he had lubed his chain with YamaLube just the day before on his own. I felt it wasn't something major, and after letting the chain cool down, we resumed. Kept an eye on his chain for the next 100 kilometres, no development. Stopped for breakfast. Same smoke emission routine started. This time, a bit lesser in magnitude.

As soon as we returned to Bangalore, we headed straight to the private service centre I go to. Turns out the quality of the YamaLube was fishy, resulting in drying of the chain, and tightening, causing the smoke while bike was stationary. Last heard, he has already thrown the YamaLube bottle out of his home.

Anyone else using YamaLube faced this issue? Or the reputation of it is not too good?
Ask him to check the chain as the o rings would have been fried. This would result in unequal tension and noise in further days.

Most Viewed