Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2015, 21:32   #3946
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Let me be the first (and probably only) D390 owner to change the rear tyres with a reading of 9435 on the odo.
I am next in line. Doubt mine would see the other side of 10k. I am at 8200 now. And could you share what you got as buy back for the Metz (if any)? And how much did the tyre cost? 6k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Also attained a new feat of 63.7 on Trip F when my fuel finished in the middle of a jungle with no civilisation or fuel station in sight

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
In general , it is proving difficult to enjoy riding this bike anymore
I totally empathise. But if I may say so, I think its the very nature of the bike that you dislike. Barring the last issue with the handlebar shake, most of it is how the bike mostly is

Quote:
The engine is coarser than it was during delivery
Even I was under the impression that the bike would be smooth as butter (follwing some online reports) post my 1st service. But there was barley any discernable difference. The bike ran as good / bad as it did earlier. Its basically a coarse bike. To expect anything different would be incorrect

Quote:
The braking is unpredictable
Spongy? Yes. Unpredictable? Not one bit!!! Get it checked and replace the entire assembly if required. Bajaj people dont even think twice before replacing parts on a KTM

I can also recollect a post of yours from not too long ago:

"initially I used to get a sensation i am dropping speed fast but today surprisingly it felt like the front was slipping , the bike was coasting instead of stopping with clutch pulled in and heavy 2 fingered pressure on front"

Are you still braking like you described above? With the clutch pulled in?

Quote:
The tires - for all the hype ........
Now how can this be the bike's fault bud? But you know what, despite popular opinion; I dont like the Metz too much. On anything other than silk like tarmac this thing slides like its on skates. Am desperately hunting for a dual sport tyre for a replacement. I am at 8200 kms. Doubt if the tyre will see anything beyond 10k. Oh, and I had my 1st puncture just today. I can totally understand how it feels looking at those gobs of patched rubber jutting out of that gorgeous tyre

Quote:
Everything gets loose so fast - tightened handle twice
Its a big thumper. It will shake some stuff of. If its a big botheration, I would recommend getting the scews "loctite-d" to take care of the issue. "Man of steel" has done that for his bike and seems to be happy. You can order Loctite online as well in case local availability is an issue

Quote:
chain requires attention every 500-700 km
For any performance oriented motorcycle with an open chain, 500 kms is the recommended interval for chain cleaning and lubing. Same for KTM. Why is that an issue?

Quote:
clutch requires attention in similar span , this is abnormal
What "attention" are you referring to here? Could you elaborate please? Whats needed?

Quote:
Washing(careful normal pressure wash avoiding any contact with instrument cluster or even rear seat due to electronic beneath ) the bike makes it go bonkers , will stall intermittently for the next few days[/quote]

Do watch a video on "how to wash a motorcycle". We may feel we are doing the right thing but if the water is getting in nooks and crannies where its not supposed to, obviously something is wrong.

No offence meant to you. Just sharing my 2 cents

Quote:
Someone also mentioned selling the bike. This will possibly make you happier. I distinctly remember the good Doc (Ebonho) warning you and I quote him -

"I continue to keep wondering that you're riding the wrong bike"

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 24th February 2015 at 21:37.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 22:41   #3947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post

I totally empathise. But if I may say so, I think its the very nature of the bike that you dislike. Barring the last issue with the handlebar shake, most of it is how the bike mostly is

Even I was under the impression that the bike would be smooth as butter (follwing some online reports) post my 1st service. But there was barley any discernable difference. The bike ran as good / bad as it did earlier. Its basically a coarse bike. To expect anything different would be incorrect

Spongy? Yes. Unpredictable? Not one bit!!! Get it checked and replace the entire assembly if required. Bajaj people dont even think twice before replacing parts on a KTM

I can also recollect a post of yours from not too long ago:

"initially I used to get a sensation i am dropping speed fast but today surprisingly it felt like the front was slipping , the bike was coasting instead of stopping with clutch pulled in and heavy 2 fingered pressure on front"

Are you still braking like you described above? With the clutch pulled in?

Now how can this be the bike's fault bud? But you know what, despite popular opinion; I dont like the Metz too much. On anything other than silk like tarmac this thing slides like its on skates.I can totally understand how it feels looking at those gobs of patched rubber jutting out of that gorgeous tyre

Its a big thumper. It will shake some stuff of. If its a big botheration, I would recommend getting the scews "loctite-d" to take care of the issue. "Man of steel" has done that for his bike and seems to be happy. You can order Loctite online as well in case local availability is an issue

For any performance oriented motorcycle with an open chain, 500 kms is the recommended interval for chain cleaning and lubing. Same for KTM. Why is that an issue?

What "attention" are you referring to here? Could you elaborate please? Whats needed?

Do watch a video on "how to wash a motorcycle". We may feel we are doing the right thing but if the water is getting in nooks and crannies where its not supposed to, obviously something is wrong.

No offence meant to you. Just sharing my 2 cents

Someone also mentioned selling the bike. This will possibly make you happier. I distinctly remember the good Doc (Ebonho) warning you and I quote him -

"I continue to keep wondering that you're riding the wrong bike"
Thank you for your concern but I disagree that the nature of the bike is to feel like an asthma patient and a maniac within minutes . Let me explain - I am doing 50/60 in 3rd gear at 5-6k rpm , I apply throttle in the exact same manner ( normally WOT ) - one time it jumps ahead like it is supposed to , a minute later it takes a second with the engine feeling hollow before it picks up. This is not normal , SVC refuses to cooperate. I have offered to pay for new fuel filter and labor , they still refuse. What should I do now ?
I am not complaining about the lack of punch below 5k rpm or its slow speed characteristic , I am not complaining about the bike heating up to extreme temps , I am complaining about the bike NOT behaving uniformly in its rpm range . I highly doubt I am being harsh here even though some members here take any criticism of the bike so personally (not you ).

Unpredictable brake - same as acceleration in a way , back to back application require different extent of force on lever . I don't mean spongy , I made my peace with that (though I did bicker about it when the inital bite went missing but I didn't know better) . It also squeals , I have been to SVC thrice . They cleaned the pads on the third visit. It still squeals. The rear squeals without even any kind of input on the lever when leaned in . It is so loud that I am routinely made aware of the same at stops etc. This is not normal and this has no place on a bike this costly , again I don't feel I am being to harsh asking for brakes that don't squeal (I can take the uneven braking but not the rear making sounds like a lab rat when leaned in ) .

I don't brake with clutch in , infact clutch usage is bare minimum , a habit down to my first bike being an enfield and its excellent lugging capability . I routinely lug the KTM engine before engaging clutch . Brakes are always applied both together and not just front(As was the case in the first 1000km , a bad habit I got rid off ). The part you quoted from a very old post is not related to my regular braking behavior but one where I went to an empty road to gauge the stopping distance from a high speed (80/100) to complete stop . That is hardly a real world traffic scenario . I did engage clutch in as it was coming to a stop as I was not dropping gear and hence risked rear wheel lock otherwise .

Tire is not bikes fault or even tires , sorry if it came out that way . It is just impractical down to our pathetic surface conditions(the skidding !!!) though I am aware of options . Hurts to see the rubber lumps as you said , two are in treads and they especially stand out as there is no way to even them completely . Are the michellins better on sand and gravel ?

The clutch issue is this - my gear shifts go bonkers . What I mean is after a certain duration , I routinely hit neutral instead of the desired gear (this happens only between 1-2 , 2-1 with 1-2 being more common and irritating ). Another and more dangerous thing is it shifts into the desired gear before going into neutral (after 1-2 seconds of being in gear ), the sudden 'freeness' of the engine and loss of speed can be dangerous I guess (You overtake someone and suddenly your bike is not picking up and you are at a loss what happened - the second it take to realize can be very disorienting ) . The fix is clutch tightening which I have found needs to be attended to quite frequently to avoid this . This is ok but to me this is indication of a poorly assembled bike . I can live with it but wish it was better.

I am not complaining about thuds during gearshift or hard clutch as many have done previously in this forum , I take that as a character of the bike , I don't the above described behavior . If it is , then I again feel it is a poor return on what I paid for .

I stopped washing the bike , just dust it with a suitably coarse piece of cloth and polish the white and orange parts with suitable liquid . I am happy with that though I did take a surprising amount of care while washing it , something I have never taken with the enfield which is hosed without a care. My guess is the sidestand sensor goes crazy due to wash and once it is dry , all is fine . Since the side stand is near impossible to avoid during a good wash , I avoid washing (only at 1000km interval when it becomes necessary ). Maybe just my bike but it is ok .

My enfield is a thumper too and vibrates way more , I have never felt the need to tighten the handle on that thing every 700km . I am not coming from a go easy bike , I am used to tantrums but at the same time , I look at a 3 decade old bike and a brand new 21st century bike differently and all things considered , the extent to which things need tightening is abnormal. It should not be like this even if this is the case with every 390 .

Selling is not something I wish to do and to be honest , is a mundane suggestion . At my age , I don't have the luxury of parting with this kind of sum without proper preparation and making sure I am purchasing the right thing so not a case of either mid life crysis or a simply wrong purchase . The bike if it accelerated uniformly , braked uniformly (even spongy can be uniform ) , didn't squeal to turn heads then I will be happy with it . I don't subject it to bumper traffic and then fret about heat and low rpm speed and neither do I care about a hard clutch or other trivialities . Those are something a CBR owner or ninja owner might find odd and even unacceptable but not me , but I do wish it didnt behave the way it is right now - any one issue by itself is hardly serious ( I mean I am not being stranded in the middle of the road due to an overheated engine ) but all things together and at the same time and it is a very irritating situation to be in with the acceleration one being the most infuriating , I just hate it when it gives that hollow weak sensation as I go WOT . Selling it would be the easy way out ...

Last edited by basuroy : 24th February 2015 at 22:56.
Old 24th February 2015, 23:23   #3948
BHPian

Sorry for the back to back post but I realize my "asthma patient" comment is coarse and might hurt sentiments . That is not my intention and I do not look down on anyone with breathing issues , no offence intended and merely meant that the bike feels to be struggling/straining for fuel and/or air . I wish I could rephrase it but edit option is not available .

Last edited by basuroy : 24th February 2015 at 23:24.
Old 24th February 2015, 23:26   #3949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let me explain - I am doing 50/60 in 3rd gear at 5-6k rpm , I apply throttle in the exact same manner ( normally WOT ) - one time it jumps ahead like it is supposed to , a minute later it takes a second with the engine feeling hollow before it picks up. This is not normal , SVC refuses to cooperate. I have offered to pay for new fuel filter and labor , they still refuse.
Why don't you shoot a mail to the highest official of KTM or contact the region head for service? No service centre can/should refuse to cooperate with the customer.

And yes, the brake squealing will get annoying. I got the 4th service done last saturday which included a brake overhaul too and guess what, the squealing was back by yesterday evening! I cleaned up the pads today morning and now it is fine, and I am pretty sure that I might have to clean it again next week!
Old 24th February 2015, 23:53   #3950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I apply throttle in the exact same manner ( normally WOT ) - one time it jumps ahead like it is supposed to , a minute later it takes a second with the engine feeling hollow before it picks up. This is not normal
Let me share an example too. I often take my daughter out for a little ride on her "orange bike" (as she likes to call the Duke quite imaginatively), here's how it goes. I put the bike in 1st gear and just roll the bike on. Then, 0 throttle. In 1st gear, the slowest it will roll on is 11 kmph. I do not touch the throttle, but the damn RPM keeps fluctuating and is not smooth. Its been discussed. Low RPM fuelling is crappy. Its particularly bad below 4 RPM. And yes, the bike does have flat spots. Check out the thread by "Psycho". He has a dyno chart and everything there

Quote:
I am not complaining about the lack of punch below 5k rpm or its slow speed characteristic , I am not complaining about the bike heating up to extreme temps , I am complaining about the bike NOT behaving uniformly in its rpm range . I highly doubt I am being harsh here even though some members here take any criticism of the bike so personally (not you ).
I agree. Its not uniform. Again, fueling is not the best

Quote:
Unpredictable brake......
The squealing is there in my bike too. They clean the pads, it goes away. Comes back after a few days. Does not affect braking though so I really dont care. If you truly feel that brakes are out of whack, stand on their throat and make them change everything till you are satisfied. Also, get the number for the regional manager for your area and speak to him directly. Trust me, things move a lot quicker then. I have the number for North India guy

Quote:
Tire is not bikes fault or even tires , sorry if it came out that way . It is just impractical down to our pathetic surface conditions(the skidding !!!) ........ Are the michellins better on sand and gravel ?
Hey no apologies needed mate. All good!

I have heard categorically that the Michelins are better in the gravel and "regular" road conditions. Heck, I know someone who put the Michelin on his bike and went to Spiti (TBHP member Aditya_Bhardwaj). Met him a couple of weeks back on an early morning ride. He has ridden over 6k on that tyre. The damn thing looks brand new. I am willing to bet that this tyre will last anyone at least twice the time the Metz do, if not thrice. And he rides pretty hard

If I am unable to find a good Dual Sport tyre, I am going with the Michelin rear and Metz front (no issues with the front tyre. I quite like it)

Some tyres I have come across besides the regular ones discussed:

- Metzeler Lasertec : These are Touring oriented tyres with a very boring (classic bike) tread. Available sizes in Delhi are 110 front and 130 rear, costing 3700 and 4600 respectively. I think the Bonnie comes stock with these (different sizes)

The next 2 are the ones I am really lusting after and will come to know of availability / cost by 2nd week of March:

- Vee Rubber VRM 163 (140 rear)
- IRC GP 1 (90 front and 130 ish rear)

Quote:
The clutch issue is this - my gear shifts go bonkers . What I mean is after a certain duration , I routinely hit neutral instead of the desired gear (this happens only between 1-2 , 2-1 with 1-2 being more common and irritating ).
I too hit neutral sometime. Its got to do with the pressure applied. Its not the bike mate, trust me. If the mech does tell you some issue was found though, please let us know

Quote:
something I have never taken a care with the enfield which is hosed without .........
LOL. You wont believe it. My enfield quite recently wennt through a pressure wash post service and just would not start. My mech told me "water to be dried / run for some time and all will be Ok" spiel. The bike kept sputtering and popping all the way. Now, my bike runs (as my mech put it) "direct" and not on the battery anymore. I need to go to an electrician person but just not getting the time

But again, please do watch that video on bike washing. Your enfield is electronically very very simple. The Duke has many more gizmos. Of course you need to be much much more careful

Quote:
My enfield is a thumper too
Not fair. Enfields hardly ever see the speeds the 390 does

Honestly, not to sound harsh but if your bike does vibrate a little more, its Ok. As long as it runs and does crazy speeds and excellent cornering, your 390 is fine

Ride her hard. If something is wrong and not just in your head, it ll probably fail / break and then you can ask the service guys to promptly replace the offending part(s). Just do it quick though so that you can take advantage of the warranty

All the best!
Old 24th February 2015, 23:54   #3951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Its funny you say that if these guys assume only the second owner will indulge in such activity.

If this is what Bajaj is thinking, its absolutely stupid of them.

Even german cars allow warranty transfer as far as i know. Thats German cars the most notorious when it comes to warranty and honoring warranty.
I couldnt come up with any other answer. I wonder if KTM has any say in the warranty policies or in the service of their bikes.
Quote:
Someone also mentioned selling the bike. This will possibly make you happier. I distinctly remember the good Doc (Ebonho) warning you and I quote him - "I continue to keep wondering that you're riding the wrong bike"
I think it was my bike, the doc was referring to, ironically!!! . And here I am suggesting basuroy to sell his
Quote:

Selling is not something I wish to do and to be honest , is a mundane suggestion . At my age , I don't have the luxury of parting with this kind of sum without proper preparation and making sure I am purchasing the right thing so not a case of either mid life crysis or a simply wrong purchase . The bike if it accelerated uniformly , braked uniformly (even spongy can be uniform ) , didn't squeal to turn heads then I will be happy with it . I don't subject it to bumper traffic and then fret about heat and low rpm speed and neither do I care about a hard clutch or other trivialities . Those are something a CBR owner or ninja owner might find odd and even unacceptable but not me , but I do wish it didnt behave the way it is right now - any one issue by itself is hardly serious ( I mean I am not being stranded in the middle of the road due to an overheated engine ) but all things together and at the same time and it is a very irritating situation to be in with the acceleration one being the most infuriating , I just hate it when it gives that hollow weak sensation as I go WOT . Selling it would be the easy way out ...
Bro, I myself had thought of selling my bike, long before I suggested it to you. But I have atleast an average service center here. My bike still has a few problems but not as serious as that of your bike. And it doesnt behave badly on the things it is supposed to do properly. I enjoy riding it, the engine is butter smooth (despite the rocker noise) and quite responsive. But in your case your service guys are pathetic. If you continue using the bike without properly servicing it, you will end up with nothing left to sell, after all.
mithunvvijayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 00:23   #3952
BHPian

Quote:
Let me share an example too. I often take my daughter out for a little ride on her "orange bike" (as she likes to call the Duke quite imaginatively), here's how it goes. I put the bike in 1st gear and just roll the bike on. Then, 0 throttle. In 1st gear, the slowest it will roll on is 11 kmph. I do not touch the throttle, but the damn RPM keeps fluctuating and is not smooth. Its been discussed. Low RPM fuelling is crappy. Its particularly bad below 4 RPM. And yes, the bike does have flat spots. Check out the thread by "Psycho". He has a dyno chart and everything there

I agree. Its not uniform. Again, fueling is not the best

The squealing is there in my bike too. They clean the pads, it goes away. Comes back after a few days. Does not affect braking though so I really dont care. If you truly feel that brakes are out of whack, stand on their throat and make them change everything till you are satisfied. Also, get the number for the regional manager for your area and speak to him directly. Trust me, things move a lot quicker then. I have the number for North India guy

Hey no apologies needed mate. All good!

I have heard categorically that the Michelins are better in the gravel and "regular" road conditions. Heck, I know someone who put the Michelin on his bike and went to Spiti (TBHP member Aditya_Bhardwaj). Met him a couple of weeks back on an early morning ride. He has ridden over 6k on that tyre. The damn thing looks brand new. I am willing to bet that this tyre will last anyone at least twice the time the Metz do, if not thrice. And he rides pretty hard

If I am unable to find a good Dual Sport tyre, I am going with the Michelin rear and Metz front (no issues with the front tyre. I quite like it)

Some tyres I have come across besides the regular ones discussed:

- Metzeler Lasertec : These are Touring oriented tyres with a very boring (classic bike) tread. Available sizes in Delhi are 110 front and 130 rear, costing 3700 and 4600 respectively. I think the Bonnie comes stock with these (different sizes)

I too hit neutral sometime. Its got to do with the pressure applied. Its not the bike mate, trust me. If the mech does tell you some issue was found though, please let us know

LOL. You wont believe it. My enfield quite recently wennt through a pressure wash post service and just would not start. My mech told me "water to be dried / run for some time and all will be Ok" spiel. The bike kept sputtering and popping all the way. Now, my bike runs (as my mech put it) "direct" and not on the battery anymore. I need to go to an electrician person but just not getting the time

But again, please do watch that video on bike washing. Your enfield is electronically very very simple. The Duke has many more gizmos. Of course you need to be much much more careful

Not fair. Enfields hardly ever see the speeds the 390 does

Honestly, not to sound harsh but if your bike does vibrate a little more, its Ok. As long as it runs and does crazy speeds and excellent cornering, your 390 is fine

Ride her hard. If something is wrong and not just in your head, it ll probably fail / break and then you can ask the service guys to promptly replace the offending part(s). Just do it quick though so that you can take advantage of the warranty

All the best!
But I am not complaining about low rpm fueling (btw my bike never rolls without throttle when cold but does so with massive jerks when hot , not that it matters lol ) . I am speaking specifically post 5k rpm which is when one would expect the thing to be in its elements. And this is not since day 1 , it have constantly developed and hence not regular fueling issues which the bike have . The difference between how it accelerates is not slight that it can be explained down to my own application or just normal engine tolerance , it is wildly different and within space of minutes no less. I repeat in 3rd gear at 5-6k rpm (which is my cruise rpm and most common gear ) , one moment it will shoot forward like a rocket while a minute later it will simply refuse to pick speed and only do so after a delay of a second or even two . This is a bike that does 0-100 in less than 6 seconds , it should not be reacting to wide open throttle after a delay that big . This is every single day , every single minute to the point I have stopped going WOT now lest I be dissapointed again. This is not in my head , this is the bike , this is not my hand either . I am not hellbent on blaming the bike , I wish I could blame myself but that is not the case anymore , this is the bike that frequently refuses to respond to my throttle application .

The uneven braking I am ok with , I mean compared to my enfield , it is still on stratospheric level lol . The squeal refuses to be fixed , given that it squeals when the bike is leaned in , I guess alignment might be a factor . The squeal is very loud though , I have seen many bikes here that squeal but mine is on a different level , will try to tape it if I can ( it is audible through helmet even when taking a turn leaned in at 50/60kmph ) .

Tires I will change once the punctures(6 so far and at this rate , by 5/6k KM will need replacement ) visibly begin to affect stability , michelin seems the way to go though thanks for the further options . I have completely stopped riding on any questionable roads though , sadly it has curtailed my already limited riding radius even more.

The gear shift to neutral I too felt was me but how do you explain the sudden improvement in shifts as soon as I adjust clutch and then the progressive change . First 300km , I will maybe hit neutral once or twice a week , next 200/300km I will slowly hit neutral once a day and then it will worsen to the "shift into gear for a second and then neutral" at which point I will ride to SVC to fix it . I ride to SVC every week to fix or adjust something . I am trying to synchronize them all so that I can get it done in one go . Not my foot but the bike again I feel . If it was my foot , then this would have been from day 1 but I still recall just how much I loved the gear shifts on this bike then . I still do love the easy neutral though . I am not sure if there is anything wrong inside the gear box(I think the gear box is fine , just the clutch being naughty ) , so far adjusting clutch seems to fix this for a small duration so I won't bother with opening gear case .

My enfield is weird like that , I once rode it in rain and it died 2 days later due to the fuse blowing out . I was stranded though near to my home , ate a pizza later to make up for all the calories lost in pushing the brute .

Good tip on calling the regional manager personally , something I should have done by now . Will turn to google baba to get his number and mail ID .

BTW my mom ( I reside with my parents currently ) says "good good , you are getting trained for marriage" in reference to my bike issues which I was sharing with my father the other day . One way(and all things considered , correct way) to look at it lol While bike is truly bothering me these days , to blame it alone is not fair , I am to blame too(husband is always in wrong) and don't have the roads here to enjoy it or the courage to venture out on the highways here (asides from Delhi highway which requires 35km travel through intense traffic no other highway even has a divider - for example bareilly lucknow two major cities last time I traveled were connected by a 2 lane potholed disaster - riding on those roads is inviting death , same with Agra and jim corbett park and nainital though nainital requires only 100km of torture and will do in near future ).

Last edited by basuroy : 25th February 2015 at 00:46.
Old 25th February 2015, 00:49   #3953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is not normal , SVC refuses to cooperate. I have offered to pay for new fuel filter and labor , they still refuse. What should I do now ?
Find a spares shop that will sell this fuel filter. Its a small plastic device that you can change on your own.

I had a great service associate and we built a good understanding of what i wanted and what he can offer. This way i never had issue to test what i wanted and make changes the way i wanted.

Sometimes we have even tested different throttle cables to create quick throttle effect etc.

And getting spares from Bajaj is easier through the SA. In your case if the SA is not ready to help you outside his own set of process and policies, find another store/another SA who can help.

You can for sure get this part outside in the market and its hardly 60-70 bucks.

Changing requires nothing but small, nimble hands to pull the filter under the seat above the engine, disconnect three pipes and reconnect them.

The issue you are saying definitely was experienced by me but it got fixed with either the complete emptying of current fuel in the tank or after replacing the filter. It started after filling petrol on the way after a trip at a fuel stop which looked good (by mere looks).

I literally went dry before reaching the next stop and from there i went straight to the centre to get the filter changed.

The original filter didnt look like having too much dust or particles. But i believe it was the quality of fuel that created that drop is power sometimes.

You do seem to have some genuine concerns but inept Service personal. Can you find another dealer or service center near by. May be a weekend ride to Delhi or near by/far by place toget it checked with another service centre.

Brakes from KTM on all their line ups squeak and squeal. Dont believe me, just search in the hundreds of forum thread. Not just 390 but on their entire line up.

The squak/squeal is prominent in a dusty environment. Dont worry too much about performance because the brakes that squeak just says i am really working hard, so dont worry .

Dont lug this engine. The engine is different from your bullet. The crank weight in a bullet lets you lug and the design is totally different to the high revving 390.

At really low speed when you dont have enough RPM the clutch definitely finds it very hard to select the new gear. At the right RPM you may not even hear the gears engage.

Driving style definitely needs a mild altering which includes shifting up and down. I ensure i see blinking red lights frantically telling me i am close to 10K rpm to shift up and shifting down also has been in a way i keep the RPM around 5K most of the time.

Its fun to keep this bike in the power band to leave a lot of dust behind everytime to get some space.

Its also not a honda or ninja to not have these quirks and it does not cost that much either for what it offers.,

Hope you get some help.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 10:31   #3954
BHPian

Quote:
You do seem to have some genuine concerns but inept Service personal. Can you find another dealer or service center near by. May be a weekend ride to Delhi or near by/far by place toget it checked with another service centre.
That's worth exploring. In fact, the rocker noise in my bike was brushed away by the service guys, saying, it occurs in all the 390s. With the help of barcalad, I am trying to get my valve clearance adjusted from a private garage in Bangalore.
Quote:
Its also not a honda or ninja to not have these quirks and it does not cost that much either for what it offers.
The same Bajaj made Indian bike is selling in the US for $6000, which is about the same as that of a Ninja 300; if not more. Then how does KTM manage to ensure that the bike doesn't have the quirks shown by the domestic counter parts, abroad??. And if the bike does have the same quirks, isn't it reasonable to argue that the KTM service personnel abroad is much more trained and adept in handling these quirks. And if that is the case, then the premium of about $3000, KTM demands for the bike abroad, can be argued to be spend for training and upgrading the service personnel and equipments.
But then again, Ninja is serviced here, by the same service personnel as of the KTM. From which we can only infer that, either Ninja also has the sh** service that we get, or Ninja is better built or designed. Which means that KTM will have a hard time in selling the bike abroad for the same price. Or is there something else I missed???
...phew!!..
Old 25th February 2015, 12:42   #3955
BHPian

Quote:
the cause Of all these problems is
-svc (if you were in bangalore, I am sure the ktm technician(he won the best tech award '14) I know, would have solved atleast half the problems)
-Lemon (i say lemon cause all 390 suffer problems, but your bike seems to have more of them)
-Dissatisfaction

No offence, but its it's human nature, once you dislike something, its hard to fall in love with no matter how many parts are replaced, you just have to live with it.

Please jot down all the problems in simple one lines, so they can be taken care easily.

Try getting the throttle body cleaned for jerky power delivery.
Old 25th February 2015, 13:10   #3956
BHPian

Quote:
I am next in line. Doubt mine would see the other side of 10k. I am at 8200 now. And could you share what you got as buy back for the Metz (if any)? And how much did the tyre cost? 6k?
No buy back. It was a last ditch purchase leaving no room for thoughts of negotiating about a buy back. Hitting the road asap was the priority.

It cost me Rs. 6200. Don't doubt the tyre though. Got it from probably the most reputed showroom in Kerala. Hasn't disappointed me in the 400 kms I've done on it so far.
Old 25th February 2015, 17:33   #3957
Senior - BHPian

Just thinking out loud (Very Very Late).

The so called '390 Adventure' rumors were dismissed by KTM saying that the platform is not suitable for an adventure bike. Did they mean that the chassis (Frame to be specific) or the engine is unsuitable for the added torture that the adventure may undergo or did they mean that its economically viable to start on an adventure version from scratch?
Old 25th February 2015, 18:19   #3958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Just thinking out loud (Very Very Late).

The so called '390 Adventure' rumors were dismissed by KTM saying that the platform is not suitable for an adventure bike. Did they mean that the chassis (Frame to be specific) or the engine is unsuitable for the added torture that the adventure may undergo or did they mean that its economically viable to start on an adventure version from scratch?
I remember we had quite a heated discussion regarding this. About how the power is concentrated in the mid to upper range, and those who didnt agree with it. Personaly I feel the engine is not suited for an adventure version.
mithunvvijayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 18:21   #3959
BHPian

Quote:
Find a spares shop that will sell this fuel filter. Its a small plastic device that you can change on your own.

Thank for the detailed explanation , I recall you suggesting the filter change a month back and it was your suggestion I passed on to them . Problem is they take a short ride on a congested road where it is impossible to accelerate and then say all is fine , I have offered to ferry him to cantt and check for himself and then drop him back but the service head butts in and refuses . The man is a brute , hellbent on causing grief to anyone in sight . I did send an email today so lets see . I think a proper throttle body cleaning , fuel filter swap will rectify this . Getting it done outside is something I wish to avoid for the time being because any 3rd party shop by appearance if very difficult to trust with a sophisticated bike like this .

It is very surprising the bike will have fuel issues though as it have been fed premium grade from a single company owned company run IOCL pump without fail , my own limited riding means I never had to fill up from another pump and this is the go to pump for every superbike and luxury car owner here . The pump was categorically suggested by a harley 48 and a R1 owner .

A ride to Delhi is a solution but my own tight schedule and the torturous experience of riding on that highway doesn't justifies the attempt . I am relocating back to kolkata in 2 months so not stuck here forever hence the further lack of interest in a trip to Delhi (you really have to drive on that road to realize why I wish to avoid travel on a 2 wheeler on it ) . No other KTM SVC within 100km radius so this is the only option.

I don't lug the engine , you mis-understood me(though I poorly phrased so that is expected ) , I meant I let the engine rpm drop quite low (3-4k rpm) during braking before engaging clutch to either slip or drop a gear as I feel necessary . I don't lug engine otherwise .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
either Ninja also has the sh** service that we get, or Ninja is better built or designed. Which means that KTM will have a hard time in selling the bike abroad for the same price. Or is there something else I missed???
...phew!!..
If the Ktm 125 user feedback is any indication , that bike has a shocking ownership reputation abroad . It is assembled here too but not sold here .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhilash95 View Post
the cause Of all these problems is
-svc (if you were in bangalore, I am sure the ktm technician(he won the best tech award '14) I know, would have solved atleast half the problems)
-Lemon (i say lemon cause all 390 suffer problems, but your bike seems to have more of them)
-Dissatisfaction
Yep SVC is a major culprit , especially the service floor head who is a brute . Contacting showroom owner did no good ( I assume they are family ) so contacting KTM head office now though these persons are the type who will get even more aggressive once a formal complaint is lodged hence why I have so far patiently digested their phony excuses in the hope they will address the bike out of pity . I know it sounds lame but I have to do what I feel is in the best interest of the bike even if it is personally humiliating . I will however escalate the problem now .

While purchasing , I was aware of the high risk of landing a lemon . I think there have been worse cases than mine ( engine oil leak , coolant leak into engine , complete breakdowns etc etc) but there have been better too .

I get what you are saying , once a person is fed up as I am right now, it sours things even more. I don't take offence or disagree at all , in fact I observed the same previously - the bike , me and the pathetic roads here all have combined for a currently stale ownership situation . Good thing is Kolkata in 2months and the roads are much better there , also better SVC so I have not given up on the bike .

I am all for brevity and wish I could explain myself in lesser words but risk being misinterpreted or being told it is all in my head .

Last edited by basuroy : 25th February 2015 at 18:24.
Old 25th February 2015, 18:35   #3960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
I remember we had quite a heated discussion regarding this. About how the power is concentrated in the mid to upper range, and those who didnt agree with it. Personaly I feel the engine is not suited for an adventure version.
Ah! Rusty memory I guess. I don't remember it at all. Let me go back and check. I still think that it will be a great platform to begin with!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks