Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2015, 22:44   #4096
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

Yup please keep me/us update buddy. I do not think they need to change the hardware now that the 2015 bikes have what I assume is a software patch fix for the issue. Techie geeks here may please confirm.
Doc. here's an update on my motorcycle. As pointed out last week, the speedo was acting weird, showing zero kmph all of a sudden multiple times. Due to this, the entire instrument console was changed. Still the problem remained.

Gave my bike for service and also front alloy wheel change. It had got bent thanks to a pothole. Coming to the main point. They changed the ABS ring on the rear wheel and told me that as the earlier one had rusted, they had put a new one and now the speedo wont show zero while riding. Guess what , it happened again. The changed speedo is much worse than the original one.

This is the list of parts changed under warranty since the time i bought the bike in Oct 2013.

1. ECU
2. Speedometer console
3. The complete wiring harness
4. Rear Caliper
5. Brake pads ( front and rear ) - Changed thrice as there was a squeaking noise
6. Right side switchgear
7. Left Side switchgear
8. head Gasket - a common issue
9. oil filter 0-ring - thrice
10. Bank angle sensor

I thought royal enfields are unreliable ( no offense - i love the Tbird 500 ) but this is another level.

This is probably the most unreliable motorcycle i have had till date. The only reason i am keeping the KTM is because of the rush it gives whenever i ride it. No matter the problems. There is an emotional attachment to the machine. I am really scared what will happen after the warranty expires this year in October. i will need to inform the service head and the manager again regarding the speedometer issue.

PS. I pay rs 820 including taxes for paid service but i have seen bills in different cities where the servicing charge is around Rs 550 - 600. Is this dealer specific ? I feel Rs 800 is a lot just for washing, chain adjustment ( lubing and cleaning is Rs 150 more ), and changing the engine oil. Rest they take labour charge for everything ! Lastly, they never mention the parts changed under warranty on the final bill.

Last edited by aditya.bhardwaj : 13th March 2015 at 22:46.
Old 13th March 2015, 23:43   #4097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
I seriously doubt if the guy hadn't mentioned the valve clearance check, just to make you comfortable. I have been studying the valve clearance issue for a while and it takes atleast a days job, if not more, what with the trial and error replacement of shims, requiring multiple use of feeler guages. My SVC has informed me clearly that Valve clearance adjustment is not possible, as the variation of the shim sizes available with them is 0.5mm. So I have taken barcalad's help to get the valve clearance adjusted at a private service center.
Hi Mithun,

Did you adjust the valve clearance elsewhere? Is there any reduction in the sound that the engine makes or any difference overall?

Thanks
Old 14th March 2015, 07:45   #4098
Senior - BHPian

An update on the valve issue. A fellow biker had the noise isdue and was diagnosed as a faulty tappet holder. The screws of the holder had worked loose over a period of time and this resulted in noise. So before you jump into conclusion get it checked throughly.
Old 14th March 2015, 11:04   #4099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
This is the list of parts changed under warranty since the time i bought the bike in Oct 2013.

I thought royal enfields are unreliable ( no offense - i love the Tbird 500 ) but this is another level.

This is probably the most unreliable motorcycle i have had till date. The only reason i am keeping the KTM is because of the rush it gives whenever i ride it.
Parts changed under warranty in my bike -Fuel pump, decomp valve, sparkplugs. Thought the list is smaller I totally empathise. But yeah, the rush is something which holds me on. And also the increase in tax to 20% !!!! in Kerala . Which means I will have to pay 1.2 L for a Bonnie for registering alone. I dont care if the warranty expires. I am happily willing to shell out any amount on my duke to keep it running.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pain View Post
Hi Mithun,
Did you adjust the valve clearance elsewhere? Is there any reduction in the sound that the engine makes or any difference overall?
Thanks
Not yet. They are sourcing the parts frm KTM. They will intimate once they are done. Also I am offered some discount as I am introduced by a benevolent team bhp brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
An update on the valve issue. A fellow biker had the noise isdue and was diagnosed as a faulty tappet holder. The screws of the holder had worked loose over a period of time and this resulted in noise. So before you jump into conclusion get it checked throughly.
I heard that dukes do not have tappets, but a rocker assembly. Is it the rocker screw at the end of the rocker pins, or something else? I do not know how this mechanism work and which parts are which.
mithunvvijayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2015, 22:45   #4100
Senior - BHPian

Reading these problems scares me as my Duke 390 Warranty ends in October 2015. Till now i have not faced any major problems except an oil leak from Rear mono shock absorber and leaking coolant. SVC replaced with new mono shock absorber and for coolant leakage i got replacement of Radiator , Thermostat and Heat Sensor under warranty.
Should i be checking anything else on my bike friends?

Last edited by hillram : 14th March 2015 at 22:52.
Old 23rd March 2015, 10:13   #4101
BHPian

So I have finally given my bike at the private garage in Bangalore, recommended by barcalad. They are working on the bike to remove the rocker sound. Hopefully I will get it back today itself. They are looking into valve clearance, timing chain tensioner, rocker etc
Old 23rd March 2015, 11:45   #4102
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
So I have finally given my bike at the private garage in Bangalore, recommended by barcalad. They are working on the bike to remove the rocker sound. Hopefully I will get it back today itself. They are looking into valve clearance, timing chain tensioner, rocker etc
Where? wehre?? is it at Whitefield?

I am also looking for a good private garage who understand the bike and spend time to make things work they way they should. These authorized service stations are more interested in quantity then quality.
Old 23rd March 2015, 20:32   #4103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Where? wehre?? is it at Whitefield?

I am also looking for a good private garage who understand the bike and spend time to make things work they way they should. These authorized service stations are more interested in quantity then quality.
So got the bike back. Took approx 9 hrs. The rocker arm noise has vanished. The items and service done is attached below. The bike service center name is unique service center in Banashankari. You can type the name in google and get the full address. Now the engine is smoother and more responsive. Some other unidentified noises also vanished. Below are some pics and the bill. Pls PM barcalad or me for any other details. Barcalad is the patron. ALL PARTS ARE KTM ORIGINAL PARTS SOURCED FROM A KTM DEALER. The service also included nitrogen filling, 3M service and polishing.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-1427122754346.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-1427122776382.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-1427122800293.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-1427122833485.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-1427122869013.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-1427122891965.jpg  

mithunvvijayan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 21:56   #4104
BHPian

Quote:
So got the bike back
Amazing to see you ride down all the way to Bangalore to get this sorted. Shows your love, commitment and desperation to get the bike running it the way it's supposed to, but at the same time it shows the apathy of KTM technicians in your city. Big shout out to Barcalad for helping you out with this!

The list seems quite extensive! I see that the valve shims were replaced and also the cam tensioner. What I didn't understand is the term "Chain timming". I understand the spell error, but what exactly is this? And how is it different from the Cam chain tensioner which is replaced?

Also, I see that the gaskets have been replaced. Did you have a lot of oil weep? Plus engine overhaul and Barcalad even told me about decarbonising?

IMO, it seems quite pricey, but end of the day, it's great that you head home a happy man! Cheers!
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 22:59   #4105
BHPian

I shall leave all the queries for Mithun to answer. He's the owner. He's the customer. Techincally, I was just the sidekick.

Jokes apart, I'm really glad and happy that this long pending issue has finally been resolved. Mithun solely came all the way to Bangalore based on my word that 'it will be done, come what may.' Kudos to him for keeping his faith in me and the SVC. I can vouch that he'll be a happier Duke 390 owner from today.

There were a lot of issues behind the stage, though. I was handling everything here, as it would be extremely difficult for Mithun to do the groundwork from Kochi. Khivraj Motors (oh yes, you got it right!) hurled an arsenal of alibis to the SVC stating that the parts 'were not available' and the customer should 'get the bike' to them itself. That was not happening at all. E-mails were wrtitten, phone calls were made and my intervention seemed imminent at one point, when they backed off and supplied all the original powerparts on time. I personally checked whether the new parts were sealed and original or not.

Nevertheless, I congratulate Mithun on a completely new chapter with his orange lunatic and wish he has a lot of carefree kilometres on the odo. At the same time, I hope that KTM Kochi gets their house in order and stops such sort of treatment to owners who've shelled out their hard earned money to purchase one of the finest bikes on Indian roads.

Proud to be a Duke 390 owner. Always was. Always will.

Last edited by barcalad : 23rd March 2015 at 23:01.
barcalad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 23:39   #4106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Amazing to see you ride down all the way to Bangalore to get this sorted. Shows your love, commitment and desperation to get the bike running it the way it's supposed to, but at the same time it shows the apathy of KTM technicians in your city. Big shout out to Barcalad for helping you out with this!

The list seems quite extensive! I see that the valve shims were replaced and also the cam tensioner. What I didn't understand is the term "Chain timming". I understand the spell error, but what exactly is this? And how is it different from the Cam chain tensioner which is replaced?

Also, I see that the gaskets have been replaced. Did you have a lot of oil weep? Plus engine overhaul and Barcalad even told me about decarbonising?

IMO, it seems quite pricey, but end of the day, it's great that you head home a happy man! Cheers!
The chain timming means timing chain itself, which was replaced. And I think, the head gasket has to be replaced every time the engine head is opened, or atleast that was my experience with Maruti cars. I never had any oil weep. I saw the carbon deposit and was quite glad that it was being removed. And I dont think it is costly at all, given how much we have paid for such a value package, in the first place. I hope, people especially in banglore, who had various bad experiences with their dealerships, will have a look at this SVC.

And we need to have people like barcalad to balance those who not only show complete callousness to others problems, but also start to blame the victim!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
I shall leave all the queries for Mithun to answer. He's the owner. He's the customer. Techincally, I was just the sidekick.

Jokes apart, I'm really glad and happy that this long pending issue has finally been resolved. Mithun solely came all the way to Bangalore based on my word that 'it will be done, come what may.' Kudos to him for keeping his faith in me and the SVC. I can vouch that he'll be a happier Duke 390 owner from today.

There were a lot of issues behind the stage, though. I was handling everything here, as it would be extremely difficult for Mithun to do the groundwork from Kochi. Khivraj Motors (oh yes, you got it right!) hurled an arsenal of alibis to the SVC stating that the parts 'were not available' and the customer should 'get the bike' to them itself. That was not happening at all. E-mails were wrtitten, phone calls were made and my intervention seemed imminent at one point, when they backed off and supplied all the original powerparts on time. I personally checked whether the new parts were sealed and original or not.

Nevertheless, I congratulate Mithun on a completely new chapter with his orange lunatic and wish he has a lot of carefree kilometres on the odo. At the same time, I hope that KTM Kochi gets their house in order and stops such sort of treatment to owners who've shelled out their hard earned money to purchase one of the finest bikes on Indian roads.

Proud to be a Duke 390 owner. Always was. Always will.
Anyways I am quite happy that everything turned out good. As you said, finally I can have some good trips without getting concerned about these noises.
But I dont think that KTM guys will change, so long as thier bikes are selling like hot cakes. I hope that your effort to see to a fellow bikers welfare, and my decision to put my faith in the SVC, will make people who suffer from these disappointments, atleast think of not giving up, and try other alternatives, instead of sweeping them under the rug.

Last edited by mithunvvijayan : 23rd March 2015 at 23:43.
mithunvvijayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 00:07   #4107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan;3669817I
am quite happy that everything turned out good. As you said, finally I can have some good trips without getting concerned about these noises
Good job! Glad the effort paid off

Now get yourself some decent riding gear, will ya!

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 24th March 2015 at 00:11.
Old 24th March 2015, 01:18   #4108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Mithun, I havent been frequenting this thread and only wish I had known of your plans of the 1100 km round trip to fix all the issues with your bike. I would have put you on to some of my friends in Cochin who probably could've helped you fix them thus avoiding the long trips in this weather. But all is well that ends well. I am very happy to see that you have been able to get all the issues resolved to your satisfaction and that your bike is performing exactly as it should. If you still have any issues once you get back, let me know. I can connect you to my friends who are KTM owners.

Quote:
I saw the carbon deposit and was quite glad that it was being removed. And we need to have people like barcalad to balance those who not only show complete callousness to others problems, but also start to blame the victim!!
Out of curiosity, how many kilometers have you covered so far? Were the carbon deposits par for course? Unrelatedly, is your bike still under warranty? If so, will all the work done at this outside private garage void the warranty? Great to see that KTM owners have an alternative to the SVCs.

Big thumbs up to barcalad for helping you with everything and proving what the biking brotherhood is all about. If only there were more like him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Khivraj Motors (oh yes, you got it right!) hurled an arsenal of alibis to the SVC stating that the parts 'were not available' and the customer should 'get the bike' to them itself. That was not happening at all. E-mails were wrtitten, phone calls were made and my intervention seemed imminent at one point, when they backed off and supplied all the original powerparts on time.
I am afraid I dont follow. Do you know some higher ups in KTM and that you would have pulled some strings? Or were you planning on intervening as a regular KTM owner (which doesnt make sense to me cause if they werent going to give the parts to him, they wouldnt give it to any other owner, right)?
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 02:55   #4109
BHPian

Quote:
And I think, the head gasket has to be replaced every time the engine head is opened, or atleast that was my experience with Maruti cars.

Yes you are correct that gaskets must be replaced every time an engine is completely opened .

And great job on riding all the way to get the bike fixed , credit to you Sir .
Old 24th March 2015, 10:03   #4110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Mithun, I havent been frequenting this thread and only wish I had known of your plans of the 1100 km round trip to fix all the issues with your bike. I would have put you on to some of my friends in Cochin who probably could've helped you fix them thus avoiding the long trips in this weather. But all is well that ends well. I am very happy to see that you have been able to get all the issues resolved to your satisfaction and that your bike is performing exactly as it should. If you still have any issues once you get back, let me know. I can connect you to my friends who are KTM owners.
Sure would like to have acquaintance with them. Hopefully there aren't going to be any issues cropping up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Out of curiosity, how many kilometers have you covered so far? Were the carbon deposits par for course? Unrelatedly, is your bike still under warranty? If so, will all the work done at this outside private garage void the warranty? Great to see that KTM owners have an alternative to the SVCs.
My bike has done 5000 odd kms so far. No idea if the deposits were consistant to that mileage.
I dont think that the warranty will be void. Since they wont know that I went to a private garage. All the parts used are KTM original parts. So

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
Yes you are correct that gaskets must be replaced every time an engine is completely opened .

And great job on riding all the way to get the bike fixed , credit to you Sir .
It was also a long pending trip. I have a few friends and relatives in Bangalore.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks