Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2015, 12:05   #4111
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I am afraid I dont follow. Do you know some higher ups in KTM and that you would have pulled some strings? Or were you planning on intervening as a regular KTM owner (which doesnt make sense to me cause if they werent going to give the parts to him, they wouldnt give it to any other owner, right)?
Here's the thing. They were planning to not give the parts to the SVC, as it's obvious that they don't want competition. As an individual, if I wanted the parts, I would have to take the gamble to park the bike in Khivraj's SVC and then entire process of repair would've taken at least 3-4 days.

My intervention would be to get hold of the fellow who was playing villian, very sweetly ask him to do as requested, else give him a cute hint about me taking legal options and ensure that he comes running back to me after 2 days with an apology.

No. I don't know KTM higher ups here. Don't need to.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 14:19   #4112
Senior - BHPian

Mithun nice to know you are finally happy with your bike. I hope you continue to be happy.

Btw, I would love to see photos of the piston and connecting if you managed to take them. Am sure the tehnicians would have checked the same since they had the engine off.

I dont know why they had the engine off though. Can't the shims and timing chain and valve lapping be done with the engine in situ?
Old 24th March 2015, 14:28   #4113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I dont know why they had the engine off though. Can't the shims and timing chain and valve lapping be done with the engine in situ?
May be because they had to replace the timing chain and all. It could be tricky to finger it through that trellis. As you mentioned shims and Valves don't need the engine to be dislodged.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 24th March 2015 at 14:36.
Old 24th March 2015, 14:48   #4114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
May be because they had to replace the timing chain and all. It could be tricky to finger it through that trellis. As you mentioned shims and Valves don't need the engine to be dislodged.
Meanwhile my 390 had small surgery last week as well. The clutch casing was opened and some patti thingy was replaced in the gear selector. Apparently it had blunted and was causing the false upshifts I had written about.

Did a ride with the Lords (mixed sbk group) and two bhp-ians, aman (coolrain) and rohit (can never remember his alphanumeric handle ....) to Lavasa on good twisty tarmac (Puneites favorite "track") and back via a dirt-gravel path to Panshet. The shifts were butter smooth. Not one mis-shift, inspite of some pretty spirited cornering and climbing.

I like the work done and phoned the head mechanic on my return back to compliment him. They appreciate such small gestures from us.

Last edited by ebonho : 24th March 2015 at 14:51.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 15:15   #4115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The clutch casing was opened and some patti thingy was replaced in the gear selector
Any diagram or picture of the patti thing would give a better picture and what to look out for, just in case .
Old 24th March 2015, 15:21   #4116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Any diagram or picture of the patti thing would give a better picture and what to look out for, just in case .
Yup. I did try to get the technical part name, but the mech was a new one I was trying (new service center as well) and a little grumpy and stuck-up (in terms of mere mortals questioning his royal highness about his work). Will get it and post it, don't wory.
Old 25th March 2015, 00:59   #4117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I like the work done and phoned the head mechanic on my return back to compliment him. They appreciate such small gestures from us.
Its not a gesture but its the only way you can be happy with your bike. Building relationships. All my mechanics are like extended bike family.

We do have monetary transactions while taking care of the bike, but we also talk about family, business and leisure.

I am happy to hear that you called back and that gesture will go a long way in your relationship with the 390.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 12:03   #4118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Its not a gesture but its the only way you can be happy with your bike. Building relationships. All my mechanics are like extended bike family.

We do have monetary transactions while taking care of the bike, but we also talk about family, business and leisure.

I am happy to hear that you called back and that gesture will go a long way in your relationship with the 390.
LOL yes bro. Mamu, my Bullet mechanic, is known to all my family members. I know all his family members. I have gone to his house on Eid to have sheer khurma. I was also there at the cemetery when his mother passed away. And as a doctor, I also am his sounding board for his diabetes. So just like when I try getting all technical with him and he chides me with an exasperated "tumko kya karne ka?" I do the same when he throws his Internet medical gyaan (courtesy his elder daughter) at me! LOL
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 20:58   #4119
BHPian

Quick question to other 390 users, is there any such thing as a chain lube that does not splash all over the rims? I am only aware of gear oil, Motul, OKS - is any one better than the others in terms of not flying around?
Old 25th March 2015, 21:09   #4120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
So got the bike back. Took approx 9 hrs. The rocker arm noise has vanished. The items and service done is attached below. The bike service center name is unique service center in Banashankari. You can type the name in google and get the full address. Now the engine is smoother and more responsive. Some other unidentified noises also vanished. Below are some pics and the bill. Pls PM barcalad or me for any other details. Barcalad is the patron. ALL PARTS ARE KTM ORIGINAL PARTS SOURCED FROM A KTM DEALER. The service also included nitrogen filling, 3M service and polishing.
Too each their own, but no matter what I would have never ever paid out of my own pocket for these extensive repairs when the bike is under warranty!
Old 25th March 2015, 21:22   #4121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff1609 View Post
Quick question to other 390 users, is there any such thing as a chain lube that does not splash all over the rims? I am only aware of gear oil, Motul, OKS - is any one better than the others in terms of not flying around?
I am using Tribocor cleaner and spray. But then I almost always clean / lube the chain & leave it overnight. Maybe that could be a factor too?
Old 25th March 2015, 21:25   #4122
BHPian

Quote:
I doubt if there is any, but a friend of mine sees less of that with 3M chain lub.
Old 25th March 2015, 21:56   #4123
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. I faced that issue. Grew very frequent recently.

Switched to 3M. Works like a charm with almost no stains on the rim. I'm satisfied with it.
Old 25th March 2015, 23:20   #4124
Senior - BHPian

I used to use Motul. But i clean them every week. Habit i carried from bullet to clean the bike every week. I spray at night and actually let the dripping happen before i take the bike out. Its usually sitting for 2 days before its operational for the weekend is for the bullet to roam around nearby.

The rims are hardly clean anyday in chennai dust. And i clean up the rims everyday before work. Damn my habits.
Old 26th March 2015, 10:25   #4125
BHPian

Quote:
Use Muc-Off. It's a dry lube. It's a little on the expensive side but those who have used it have had only good things to say.
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed