Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2015, 22:59   #4396
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

The Ninja 650 outsprints the Tiger 800 per a friend who is prepping one and training for the Raid this year.
Old 28th May 2015, 23:18   #4397
Senior - BHPian

I like the 690 and 600cc in general. Plenty of power, better power band and makes more sense for our roads.

1L are just too big and too much for our roads unless you have the moolah.

The Ninja 650 no matter how spirited it is, feels like a washing machine when you push it.

The z800 inline is different that lovely sound of that inline 4 is awesome
Old 29th May 2015, 10:59   #4398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The Ninja 650 no matter how spirited it is, feels like a washing machine when you push it.
My absolute first impression of my first ride on a 650 as I took one out of the parking lot, and then gave it some stick .....

A big Karizma.

And that impression has not changed the few other times I rode a few other 650s.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 12:55   #4399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
A big Karizma.
Seconded. No one could've put it any better.

I'm actually relieved that there are now a host of other options in the 600-1000 cc segment. I sometimes still ponder over the N650’s dominance in this segment for a while. Apart from its monopoly factor, there was hardly any explanation.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 13:05   #4400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Seconded. No one could've put it any better.

I'm actually relieved that there are now a host of other options in the 600-1000 cc segment. I sometimes still ponder over the N650’s dominance in this segment for a while. Apart from its monopoly factor, there was hardly any explanation.
Well, its a very competent and very fast bike. Top level quality. Top Indian manufacturer local warranty and spares and service support. And you can buy one on EMIs.

That said, the ER6N is actually a hoot to ride. I thoroughly enjoyed the short hooliganistic stint I had on her when a fellow Team BHPian offered to let me swing my leg over his pride and joy. Hardly 7-8 kilometers of rapid acceleration through the gears following hard downshifting and braking into corners. I came away very impressed. The stock exhaust note is VERY different to a stock Ninja 650's note. Can't explain it, but its there. And the naked bike geometry meant I was instantly comfortable and felt connected to the road, unlike the weird disjointed sensation I get on a Ninja 650 (I don't get the same feel on a Ninja 250 for instance). Its easier to flick around (even manhandle a bit), but the huge tank ensures you are still not quite over the handlebars aggressively like on our Dukes. But much better than the Ninja. Doesn't feel as heavy/unwieldy, though weight-wise its not much different really on paper.

Last edited by ebonho : 29th May 2015 at 13:06.
Old 29th May 2015, 14:46   #4401
BHPian

Quote:
That said, the ER6N is actually a hoot to ride.
I peculiarly feel that the ER6N is a pretty underrated motorcycle. Only one of the 3 Kawasaki showrooms I got dragged into by a friend had it on display. Leads me to think that if Kawasaki gave it the publicity that it gave to the Z brothers, it would've surely showed signs of its enormous potential. Even now, it still is. But only to the enthusiasts who know what they're riding.

One aspect where the Duke has spoilt us owners is the rider dynamics and agility of the machine. Not to forget that the confidence and security it inspires at hairpins is unheard or unfelt of.
Old 29th May 2015, 15:24   #4402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One aspect where the Duke has spoilt us owners is the rider dynamics and agility of the machine. Not to forget that the confidence and security it inspires at hairpins is unheard or unfelt of.
Agree 100%. Its become the "feel" benchmark I measure and compare all other bikes I ride with.

You forgot the most essential component where it has really spoiled us. Weight.

Every bike feels overweight and ponderous to me after riding KTMs. Yes its a part of the dynamics you spoke about. But there are other heavy sweet handling bikes out there. But flinging a KTM left right and every which way in the twisties and the way it responds without unsettling you (in spite of your circus antics) is something that to me is more addictive than the sheer surge in the pant seat a twist of its throttle gives.
Old 29th May 2015, 17:37   #4403
BHPian

Quote:
Agree 100%. Its become the "feel" benchmark I measure and compare all other bikes I ride with.

You forgot the most essential component where it has really spoiled us. Weight.

Every bike feels overweight and ponderous to me after riding KTMs. Yes its a part of the dynamics you spoke about. But there are other heavy sweet handling bikes out there. But flinging a KTM left right and every which way in the twisties and the way it responds without unsettling you (in spite of your circus antics) is something that to me is more addictive than the sheer surge in the pant seat a twist of its throttle gives.
The feeling that your body is over the handle, when you lean over slightly, while negotiating hard bends and meandering through traffic especially in higher gears(1,2,3) is simply awesome.
I dont know if that stance has been changed in the 2015 models with the new seats.
I think KTM should have offered a non slipper clutch duke 390 version also, which allows you to slip the clutch to ease the engine braking however you like.
Old 29th May 2015, 18:00   #4404
BHPian

Quote:
Weight.
A very good point. My bad.

The beauty of this motorcycle lies in it's weight, without any question. The way it handles and belts those corners, it's something that even I have not experienced in any other motorcycle. The closest any one has come to satisfying me in this criteria is perhaps the Speed Triple. Those Diablos are made out of something else. Stunned me.
Old 30th May 2015, 15:44   #4405
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Please stick to the topic. Thanks!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2015, 09:16   #4406
BHPian

Maintenance Update: Changed my rear metz to a new metz at around ~13K Kms. I was torn between the Michelin Pilot Radial and Metz. Decided to go with stock Metz in view of the upcoming monsoon and resale value of bike. Rs.9790/--(Including the illegal 2% Credit Card Charge). Rs.200/- for removing and fixing the wheel back. Rs.80/- for replacing the tyre on the wheel. Sweat:10Liters (courtesy Hyderabad Heat) Total:Rs.10,070/- and a whole lot of sweating. Riding confidence: Back to 100%!

Condition Update:
Over the last few months, things have been coming loose on the bike thanks to the vibrations. I lost the nut that holds the engine to the chassis right above the front sprocket. The bolt had come loose and was rubbing on the chain/sprocket. I was simply awestruck and couldn't imaging the consequence of the real life disasters that could have happened. The clutch cover had minor oil seepage and realized that the bolts holding the case had become loose. Tightened them and seepage stopped. After all this, I got myself a 'king tony' hex spanner set and now I tighten all the nuts/bolts on a periodic basis.

I have never had engine problems. NO cold/hot start issues, No serious oil seepage issues. NO coolant contamination issues etc. But now at close to 14K on the odo, I hear a lot of clutter on the engine when it is stressed. With all the vibrations that have been shaking everything else loose, i can only imagine it has loosened and increased the valve clearance or even some damage to the valves. I am to give it for servicing soon and still wondering whether I should let them open the engine to check because like we all know, things can become worse if an inexperienced Mech opens an engine. Your thoughts are appreciated on this.

Last edited by Cyrus_the_virus : 31st May 2015 at 09:19.
Old 31st May 2015, 09:26   #4407
BHPian

A query for fellow D390 owners.

For personal reasons, I've transported my beloved Duke to my shelter in Delhi, while I am in Kolkata. It will be unused by no one (won't allow it to) and will be uncovered only when I'm in Delhi next, which is around 3-4 months away.

1. What effect, if any, will the non-use of 3-4 months have on the bike? Need a detailed response for this as it's worrying me every day.

2. It's obvious that I'll have to get the oil changed and other things checked before I explore NCR roads (which I strongly intend to do). Also, when I was getting my bike loaded on the truck, I observed a nail which had penetrated in my rear Michelin, just near the centre line. Is this a major cause of worry, considering the Michelin is not soft compound like the Metz? Can the nail be plugged out without expecting any loss in tyre dynamics?

A final question for NCR bikers. Others can give me their thoughts too.

a) How long can I ride a KA registered vehicle in NCR? Is it fine with the authorities or will they whine like they did in Karnataka and Kerala?

b) If I get busted by the moolah happy Delhi cops, can I tell them I'm just one of those Bangalore bikers eager to conquer Leh on my bike?
Old 31st May 2015, 09:31   #4408
BHPian

Quote:
1. What effect, if any, will the non-use of 3-4 months have on the bike? Need a detailed response for this as it's worrying me every day.
No one can predict the exact damage that will be done because it depends on variables like temperature, humidity etc. For example a bike standing still in Chennai near the shoreline is going to see a different type of damage compared to one in a store room in Bangalore. However, the basic first rule of storage of anything that has an engine is: DRAIN FLUIDS. If you intend of storing it for more than 2 months, please drain all the fluids. Disconnect Battery Terminals also

Last edited by Cyrus_the_virus : 31st May 2015 at 09:38.
Cyrus_the_virus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2015, 09:34   #4409
BHPian

Quote:
If you disconnect the battery and change fluids as soon as you are back, bike should be fine. Raise both the Tyres using stands or some alternative mechanism so that Tyres don't get affected. Also keep the air pressure 5 points above normal when you put it on storage. Put some light grease or Vaseline on electric terminals to prevent corrosion. Drain fuel to bare minimum and replace it prior to starting when you return. Store battery separately if feasible. Bike will be fine, don't worry.
anilp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2015, 10:15   #4410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... It will be unused by no one (won't allow it to) and will be uncovered only when I'm in Delhi next, which is around 3-4 months away....
Well, the owner's manual has this to say..

Name:  ForumRunner_20150531_100957.png
Views: 967
Size:  659.6 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20150531_101007.png
Views: 922
Size:  672.1 KB

@others-

I have a query of my own; an idle brain, jobless musing kinda query, if you please.

The 'lock' on my bike works like this- turn off ignition, depress and hold the position, turn the key to lock.
The manual has a 'push-rel' feature listed. The same procedure works on my friend's 2013 390 too, wherein the ignition is turned off, the key is pushed in and released immediately and then key is turned to 'lock'; the Bajaj 220 way.

How is it on your bikes?
schakravarthy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks