Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2015, 04:13   #4426
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
Here's to many more km of safe & happy riding!
Apologies. No offense to you personally. I do love my Duke to the moon and back. I do weekly check for fluid levels,tyre pressure,chain slack,lubricate the chain every 500km and what not. Heck, even I learnt to dial down the rear monoshock with the help of owners manual. I am not a person who would shy away from a simple DIY to get things working. But there is a thing called quality control. In one of my friends case, he was riding one up on his RC390 which was barely 4 months old. He misses to see a small pothole and one of the rear foot peg breaks in two pieces. Didn't mean to start a rant. But this is how their brand image is shaping up.
SuperMane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 08:14   #4427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMane View Post
Apologies. No offense to you personally. I do love my Duke to the moon and back. I do weekly check for fluid levels,tyre pressure,chain slack,lubricate the chain every 500km and what not. Heck, even I learnt to dial down the rear monoshock with the help of owners manual. I am not a person who would shy away from a simple DIY to get things working. But there is a thing called quality control. In one of my friends case, he was riding one up on his RC390 which was barely 4 months old. He misses to see a small pothole and one of the rear foot peg breaks in two pieces. Didn't mean to start a rant. But this is how their brand image is shaping up.
Hey buddy, After reading about your buddy on the RC I feel you are the guy on Instagram with the acc 'duke390' or something. Good to see you here, by the way I hope this didn't fall off during one of your wheelie sessions
Old 10th June 2015, 10:53   #4428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I mean I get it this is built by Bajaj but this is unacceptable.
No offense, but what has this (a fastener loosening and falling off) have to do with Bajaj?
Old 10th June 2015, 11:23   #4429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This commute involves around 25kms of broken roads
I'll admit that KTM/Bajaj have to revisit their QC on some areas. A Duke isn't meant to be ridden on battered sections of road every single day. More than the bike, you need to take care of your back. I am not one bit surprised at that bolt falling off. Can happen on any motorcycle. I am surprised though, with the kind of abuse your motorcycle it subject to, it was only one bolt that fell off. Now this does say a lot about the Duke. For the most part, it is well put together.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 11:37   #4430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In one of my friends case, he was riding one up on his RC390 which was barely 4 months old. He misses to see a small pothole and one of the rear foot peg breaks in two pieces.
That's intriguing. How exactly did the rear footpeg break when the bike hit a pothole?
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 11:43   #4431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I am surprised though, with the kind of abuse your motorcycle it subject to, it was only one bolt that fell off. Now this does say a lot about the Duke. For the most part, it is well put together.
One bolt in 21,000 kms? I know one manufacturer of parts falling off fame who would buy this bike money no bar just to put it through R&D to figure out how they achieved such a feat.
Old 10th June 2015, 12:36   #4432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
That's intriguing. How exactly did the rear footpeg break when the bike hit a pothole?
He was riding one up. One half of the foot peg got lost on the highway and couldn't be retrieved since it was too dark. Other half I'll try to get my hands on it. He has put on non-KTM foot pegs which costed 160 bucks a pair for time being. And I kid you not they look more sturdy although ugly as hell.

This wasn't the only time when I started questioning the built quality.

This happened exactly after 5 months and before the 2nd service. I visited Ghatkopar SSC and they outrightly refused to accept it as a problem and I was told its the Duke sound that is expected and I should get used to it. Thankfully Seawoods SSV not only were able to zero it down to the silencer but also agreed to replace it under warranty. Kudos to them otherwise I would have needed to shell out 20k+ to get it replaced.

Couple of months later one of the engine rubber developed a crack and the engine oil started leaking.

Don't even want to get started on the chain slapping and front brake noise issue which I am told cant be fixed and I have live with it. Both of them started before the first service.

Abuse? I am deeply offended by that. If you consider riding on road abuse well then I am not even going to respond to that. And here is my commuting route.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Ch...13!2m1!1b1!3e0

Alas what I am trying to put it out there for prospective buyers is that, yes KTM is a premium brand when it comes to performance and amount of equipment they offer and NOT in terms of quality.
Old 10th June 2015, 13:16   #4433
Senior - BHPian

For stoping the fuel filler rattle, use a circular washer shape magnet. It makes the cap stay in place and stops the rattle. I will post a pic of the magnet i am using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post

Asking this because, I know, personally, that a reputed jap car manufacturer, who have a manufacturing unit in western India, sort out the parts by 'to be exported' and 'local assembly' based on way it passes the QC. Fewer glitched ones would be exported and the ones with more would be used to manufacture vehicles for India.
OT, but can you please specify the brand, such companies need to be taught a lesson.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th June 2015 at 14:10. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your post within the 30 minute edit window to add/edit your posts.
Old 10th June 2015, 13:52   #4434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot View Post
For stoping the fuel filler rattle, use a circular washer shape magnet. It makes the cap stay in place and stops the rattle. I will post a pic of the magnet i am using.
Interesting. Where did you source it from and how much did it cost? Please post the pictures and details.

OT: Discovering lot of new stuff today - first was water proof over gloves, and now, ring shaped magnet to arrest the fuel filer rattle.

--Anoop
Old 10th June 2015, 14:21   #4435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot View Post
OT, but can you please specify the brand, such companies need to be taught a lesson.
Yeah, they should be but I cannot as I am bound by law and signatures on paper !
Old 10th June 2015, 16:10   #4436
Senior - BHPian

Can the mods please move all Duke 200 related dicsussions to a seprate thread please.
heavy_foot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 19:02   #4437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Interesting. Where did you source it from and how much did it cost? Please post the pictures and details.

OT: Discovering lot of new stuff today - first was water proof over gloves, and now, ring shaped magnet to arrest the fuel filer rattle.

--Anoop
Check out this profile on the facebook

https://www.facebook.com/dhavaljm?fref=ts

Lots of home made mods to improve the ride. He has this in one of the posts, need time to rummage through. Costs 110INR. It is like a washer of around 2mm thick.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2015, 12:18   #4438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Check out this profile on the facebook

https://www.facebook.com/dhavaljm?fref=ts

Lots of home made mods to improve the ride. He has this in one of the posts, need time to rummage through. Costs 110INR. It is like a washer of around 2mm thick.
Thank you for the link - no access to FB from office, will check out once i reach home.
On an unrelated note, howz your tyres holding up (I presume you are still using the Ceat tyres).

--Anoop
Old 11th June 2015, 17:57   #4439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Thank you for the link - no access to FB from office, will check out once i reach home.
On an unrelated note, howz your tyres holding up (I presume you are still using the Ceat tyres).

--Anoop
I have updated the tyre status on another link, check it out.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3728554
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2015, 18:16   #4440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
I have updated the tyre status on another link, check it out.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3728554
Thank you! Should have first checked the thread where I asked the original question

--Anoop

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks