Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2015, 19:55   #4441
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

The Michelin Street is hands down a far superior tyre for road use than the Metz; at least based on my experience thus far

The 3 times that I have ridden it (covering around 300 kms), here are my initial impressions:

- This tyre had no "learning curve" as opposed to the Metz. I was instantly comfy on them. But to be fair to the Metz, I probably took time to get used to the rounded profile of a sports tyre; having only ridden the flattish commuter tyres on the Enfield
- The lean in is so confidence inspiring, and this was the case from the word go. No slippage on account of the "newness" of the tyre. It was an amazing feeling. I started to just up the pace little by little .... no problem. Increased lean angles progressively ..... nothing gave way. In just about 300 kms, my "chicken strip" is as wide as about a couple of threads / hair (on the left side. Right side still has some way to go)
- Superlative wet grip. Now I dont know who says Metz is a good wet weather tyre. The damn thing slips and slides all over the place in slushy / wet conditions. Admittedly, I was caught in a sllight drizzle and not a full on downpour with the Michelins, but the roads were pretty wet from the rains earlier in the day
- It looks really good. It actually looks fatter than the Metz and substantially so. My wife actually pointed it out to me
- Gobs and gobs of sticky rubber. The Michelin has really deep treads; much deeper than the Metz. With my kind of usage, I was able to stretch the Metz to 12k KMS (ideally should have replaced them at around 10). This might see 20k KMS. But I'll hold my comments on this
- Cost effective. It cost me a grand total of 5350 including fitting. The Metz would have cost me anywhere between 9.5 - 10k

The only thing that remains to be seen is how it performs on the track. I ll find that out around the October - November timeframe

I am actually trying very hard to think of a downside to this tyre compared to the Sportecs but I honestly cannot come up with anything. Its a superb superb tyre. Very happy with it

For the front though I think I will stick with Metz. Should last over 15k KMS which I think is quite decent. Also, a couple of members on this forum complained that the front Michelin makes the steering heavy and flickability is lost

Will keep posting my experience here. If you have any questions, shoot!

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 11th June 2015 at 20:00.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th June 2015, 23:01   #4442
Senior - BHPian

I just convinced one more person to go for 390 over a bullet. They test rode and are convinced its 390. They even had a mild hesitation over 200 but when i showed them the cost of the components in a similar CC bike and what they are actually paying for, they gave a cheque and booked the 390.

No matter how much hard i try to convince myself there is another brand which has better value for money, i come back to 390.

And after 390 for me its the z800.
Old 11th June 2015, 23:09   #4443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Lots of home made mods to improve the ride. He has this in one of the posts, need time to rummage through. Costs 110INR. It is like a washer of around 2mm thick.
I couldn't find the post referencing it on his page, but is it something like this?
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/...is-mod-10-pack
Old 12th June 2015, 16:33   #4444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Interesting. Where did you source it from and how much did it cost? Please post the pictures and details.

OT: Discovering lot of new stuff today - first was water proof over gloves, and now, ring shaped magnet to arrest the fuel filer rattle.

--Anoop
Washer like magnets are available on Amazon.in.

http://www.amazon.in/Techtone-Strong...8-00004214cbd5
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 18:23   #4445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
No matter how much hard i try to convince myself there is another brand which has better value for money, i come back to 390.

And after 390 for me its the z800.
+1.

It has spoilt me to a great degree, I must say. Textbook definition of value for money, this. No downgrading on my end now.

My next, probably within the next 3-4 years, will be a litre class street fighter or an adventure tourer. Something that comes in the category of the Z1000 or Explorer. Never a faired bike for me, though!
Old 14th June 2015, 09:56   #4446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post

A final question for NCR bikers. Others can give me their thoughts too.

a) How long can I ride a KA registered vehicle in NCR? Is it fine with the authorities or will they whine like they did in Karnataka and Kerala?

b) If I get busted by the moolah happy Delhi cops, can I tell them I'm just one of those Bangalore bikers eager to conquer Leh on my bike?
You can ride a KA reg bike in NCR forever without any road tax issues. I would be more interested in knowing how you will survive the 390s engine heat in Delhi weather.
Old 14th June 2015, 12:23   #4447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff1609 View Post
You can ride a KA reg bike in NCR forever without any road tax issues. I would be more interested in knowing how you will survive the 390s engine heat in Delhi weather.
Thanks for your response.

Coming to your question, I have known it enough to to predict it's behaviour and ridden it in nasty conditions of all kind, except snow. Since, I'll be riding it for a day or two only, and that too only in October or November until decided further, the engine heat is hardly a reason of worry for me.
Old 14th June 2015, 13:50   #4448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would be more interested in knowing how you will survive the 390s engine heat in Delhi weather.
Frankly, I don't know what the fuss about engine heat is all about. I ride everyday to work, 50 Kms one way

Seeing as you are in bangy, have you actually ever ridden in delhi's heat? My guess would be - you haven't. You are just repeating the same thing many many internet jocks keep saying time and again, based on what other jocks may have opined

If a little heat is a big bother, maybe one should reconsider riding a motorbike in the first place
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2015, 14:05   #4449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Frankly, I don't know what the fuss about engine heat is all about. I ride everyday to work, 50 Kms one way

Seeing as you are in bangy, have you actually ever ridden in delhi's heat? My guess would be - you haven't. You are just repeating the same thing many many internet jocks keep saying time and again, based on what other jocks may have opined

If a little heat is a big bother, maybe one should reconsider riding a motorbike in the first place
Dear Urban Nomad. I was temporarily based in Bangalore when I joined this forum though I am from Noida and have spent most of my life here.

I commute between Gurgaon and Greater Noida every day of the week (120km roundtrip) and a bike was totally out of question for me considering the weather and NCR's driving manner (or lack thereof).

I sold my 390 after riding it some 14k kms in Bangalore. As for riding in Delhi's heat. I don't do that anymore, I used to do frequent outstation rides covering 6-700kms a day when I was younger, don't think I can do it anymore.

I do not agree with 90% of the stuff your 'internet jocks' say but anyone who thinks that riding a duke 390 in 45 degrees is just a little heat must see a doc in the interest of his own health.
ff1609 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2015, 14:28   #4450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
+1.

Engine heat is a part of the package in every performance oriented motorcycle. It's something that's inevitable. Furthermore, it's not something that's there right from the beginning to the end of a biking session. It happens at times, maybe for minutes, but then if an individual is wise enough to purchase a motorcycle knowing this fact, he should live with it as well.

Else, the Aprilia SRV is always there.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2015, 15:15   #4451
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As for riding in Delhi's heat

......... anyone who thinks that riding a duke 390 in 45 degrees is just a little heat must see a doc in the interest of his own health.
So like I mentioned earlier; you haven't experienced riding the 390 in delhi's summer. Thanks for confirming. Safe to say then that The whole engine heat + delhi heat comment is based on your "cyber knowledge" and not actual experience

My commute is very similar to yours while you were in delhi. I travel from Dwarka to noida sez on the expressway. I ride everyday. And I ride in (almost) complete riding gear. Full face helmet, leather gloves, a mesh jacket, jeans (I know) and proper riding boots. I'm alive and well. Furthermore, I'm no young flower waiting to blossom. I just turned a raggedy 34 years old on the 5th of June

Human body is a thing of wonder. It really evolves to the conditions you may subject it to. Speaking of heat, the body has an excellent cooling system. Drink lots of water, eat right and you'll do just fine

On general well being, it's people who are unable to bear these temperatures should (and usually do) see a doctor

Anyhow, bottom line is that the engine heat of the 390 is not really a factor. At least to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
+1.

Else, the Aprilia SRV is always there.
Since engine heat is an issue, I recommend the splendor plus. Thanda Thanda, cool cool

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 14th June 2015 at 15:34.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2015, 16:14   #4452
Distinguished - BHPian

Can someone guide me as to where I can get the MRF Revz FC, which is the front Tyre for the 390 in Bangalore
Old 14th June 2015, 18:19   #4453
BHPian

Regarding the heat debate in Delhi on a KTM, let's try to bring in a bit of balance to the debate with the holy trinity of riding:

a) the rider: if a rider can't tolerate weather extremes they won't be able to ride anything anywhere.
b) the terrain: if a terrain has a hostile climate, no rider would be able to ride anything
c) the machine: if a machine has an excessive heat issue, it would be unrideable in all weather conditions.

Feel free to plot your own co-ordinates with a KTM in Delhi summer within the above dimensions.

As for my own experience, I'm with Urban_Nomad here. My work place is 50kms away too (Delhi-Gurgaon) and while I don't ride to work everyday, I don't miss any opportunity to ride to work fully clad just like him - I find it a lot less stressful and much more enjoyable than commuting in my car. And I have seen a few more summers than him on this planet.

BTW Urban_Nomad, wish you a very happy belated B'day. You share the date with my elder sis.
outofthebox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2015, 11:26   #4454
Senior - BHPian

Man you Delhi boys commute massive distances (mine is 10 kms one way).

Must be a lovely workout on the mean machine, especially if you have a route without too many signals.
Old 15th June 2015, 12:26   #4455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

Must be a lovely workout on the mean machine, especially if you have a route without too many signals.
trust me doc, it's absolute fun. I go on solo drives from Noida to Gurgaon almost every weekend.

The route

Quote:
Noida Sector 62
Noida City Center Metro Station
Sector 37 Noida
Kalindi Kunj - New Delhi
Nehru Place - New Delhi
IIT Delhi
Guragon Expressway
Guragon Sector 30 - right opposite Google's Gurgaon office
Stop over night at my friends place if needed and back to Noida via same route, start at 7 in the morning.

Number of red lights in Noida - 4
Number of red lights in Delhi - 4
Number of red lights in Gurgaon - 0

Most fun is on Gurgaon toll to sector 30, the baby D200 can go speeds in excess of 130+ flatout (a distance of 20kms).

It's fun as long as the roads are empty, if you have traffic well be ready loosing some body fluids.

It has taken me a maximum of 2:30 hrs and a minimum of 33 mins to cover the same distance .
munchy_cool is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed