Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2013, 11:53   #436
BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

Personally speaking, I have never test rode a single bike I have bought. Each bike of mine has been the first bike I have ridden of that that particular brand/model. All my purchases are from the heart. And the first ride has never disappointed (well except once ....).

Same case here doc, buying from my heart, will be my first bike!

Quote:
From what I hear, I can probably do better. Hopefully soon. Please continue to be patient .....

As for your query in this particular instance, just get used to the bike like any other man. Just remember, those around you will not get used to it as soon as you do, so factor that in when riding and keep margins for fools and morons of which our roads have plenty .....
Thanks doc! I'll take whatever tips I can get, I want to learn how to safely ride this machine and perhaps other enthusiast bikes and die happily in my bed of old age. Not on a manic machine!! or spend any time in the hospital either!!

Last edited by imp! : 13th August 2013 at 11:54.
Old 13th August 2013, 12:20   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Same case here doc, buying from my heart, will be my first bike!
While it is not impossible to build up your skills from scratch while riding a 390, is it really the ideal route?

If I were you, I would start with some other bike, even a Pulsar for that matter, and then go for a powerful bike such as the 390.

Dont let the bike ride you, it's that powerful:-)
Old 13th August 2013, 12:31   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I were you, I would start with some other bike, even a Pulsar for that matter, and then go for a powerful bike such as the 390.
Not just bikes but for a lot of things i believe and follow two things

- No Ego of knowing everything and anything about the product and willingness to be humble to learn by practice.
- There is no competition to learn faster or do better than someone else. I will learn on my own pace and i am ok with the results.

Most importantly i do some research on the product and understand its limitations more than strength and slowly ease into its strength.

Summary :- There is nothing like a right bike before the right bike. I will be no different rider than what i am now even if i had started riding with a 1L bike.

I would have always applied common sense before excitement and enthusiasm.
VW2010 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 13:10   #439
Distinguished - BHPian

I think that starting out with a less powerful bike makes sense. Speaking only about myself and remembering all those Shogun crashes in college, I can, with complete certainty say that had my first bike been a 600 or 1000cc I would have either been dead or in jail today.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 13:57   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
I think that starting out with a less powerful bike makes sense. Speaking only about myself and remembering all those Shogun crashes in college, I can, with complete certainty say that had my first bike been a 600 or 1000cc I would have either been dead or in jail today.
Agreed fully! Perhaps thats why my dad started me off on a Bajaj M-80

More seriously, this is a very powerful bike. The skill limits of 99% riders will be far , far lower than the capabilities of this bike.

Bike riding is a never ending class, and I am sure all of us are still discovering something new each time we ride. Why start this potentially life-threatening class in 10th std, instead of LKG?
Old 13th August 2013, 14:09   #441
BHPian

More good news from the Chakan plant. Strike called off.

http://www.dnaindia.com/money/187390...all-off-strike

Keeping my fingers crossed and waiting with bated breath

Last edited by Jaycee : 13th August 2013 at 14:26.
Old 13th August 2013, 14:13   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
While it is not impossible to build up your skills from scratch while riding a 390, is it really the ideal route?

Dont let the bike ride you, it's that powerful:-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Not just bikes but for a lot of things i believe and follow two things

- No Ego of knowing everything and anything about the product and willingness to be humble to learn by practice.
- There is no competition to learn faster or do better than someone else. I will learn on my own pace and i am ok with the results.

Most importantly i do some research on the product and understand its limitations more than strength and slowly ease into its strength.

Summary :- There is nothing like a right bike before the right bike. I will be no different rider than what i am now even if i had started riding with a 1L bike.

I would have always applied common sense before excitement and enthusiasm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
Agreed fully! Perhaps thats why my dad started me off on a Bajaj M-80

More seriously, this is a very powerful bike. The skill limits of 99% riders will be far , far lower than the capabilities of this bike.

Bike riding is a never ending class, and I am sure all of us are still discovering something new each time we ride. Why start this potentially life-threatening class in 10th std, instead of LKG?

Guys while I absolutely agree with starting out on a less powerful bike, things like throttle control are going to be new on this no matter what bikes one may have ridden. I have ridden my Uncles Pulsar 220 and Fiero so it is not like I am going to learn how to change gears on this bike. But think about it for a moment, here in India most bikes to date one can slash and hack the accelerator for all its worth and not get into trouble, our braking habits are atrocious. In fact what enthusiast bikes would people suggest to get started on over here? The D200? The Pulsar 200 NS? One would run into the same problem there as well. Even if I could say I am an experienced rider (I am am far from that infact); I would still have to re-learn most of how to ride a bike.
Old 13th August 2013, 14:25   #443
BHPian

In my opinion riding a bike has got more to do with the attitude of the rider where he/she starts to understand the characteristics of the bike rather than just gear, clutch and brake.

Its a learning process. As one spends more and more time with his/her machine, the better the rider becomes. I have ridden my previous bike for almost 10 years. I very clearly know what I can do on her and what I cant. What I should do and what I shouldn't. Guess the only skill needed IMHO to ride this beast is to have that certain level of maturity and patience to understand it better.
Old 13th August 2013, 14:44   #444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Guys while I absolutely agree with starting out on a less powerful bike, things like throttle control are going to be new on this no matter what bikes one may have ridden. I have ridden my Uncles Pulsar 220 and Fiero so it is not like I am going to learn how to change gears on this bike. But think about it for a moment, here in India most bikes to date one can slash and hack the accelerator for all its worth and not get into trouble, our braking habits are atrocious. In fact what enthusiast bikes would people suggest to get started on over here? The D200? The Pulsar 200 NS? One would run into the same problem there as well. Even if I could say I am an experienced rider (I am am far from that infact); I would still have to re-learn most of how to ride a bike.
Don't think so much bro. Just buy the bike and enjoy it. People abroad learn riding and do track school on bikes like these. Its ok. Just always let the two lobes on top always rein in the two below.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 14:49   #445
Senior - BHPian

Guys,
Any info about the delivery of 390 at KTM Mekhri cirlce.
I had booked 390 for my relative on 10th July.
My number is 53.
Old 13th August 2013, 14:57   #446
Senior - BHPian

@Sushrutha,

Expect delivery to start around fourth week of august. Depending on your number add 2-3 weeks more.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 15:01   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Don't think so much bro. Just buy the bike and enjoy it. People abroad learn riding and do track school on bikes like these. Its ok. Just always let the two lobes on top always rein in the two below.
Thanks Doc! Now where was that advise when I was a teenager? come to think of it.... I still need to master that advise!!

I too am planning on going to a track school to hone my skills once this beast has been broken in. Am waiting for first lot delivery confirmation, mine will be of that lot.

On a side note, was riding a bullet from Manali to Ladakh a few weeks ago and ran into a dude with a KTM 390. Said bike performed great. In-fact the only things he has issues with was bike heating up in constant low gear acceleration (when he was riding behind trucks) . He also had to rest the bike for 15-20 minutes before each pass to cool the bike down (I'm wondering if the air was making the engine work over time and contributing to the heating); the chain lubrication also went for a toss; Juma up in Leh solved the lubrication issue for him, but am not sure how since I didn't get a chance to speak to him about that.

Last edited by n_aditya : 19th August 2013 at 17:21.
Old 13th August 2013, 16:38   #448
Senior - BHPian

http://www.dnaindia.com/money/187390...all-off-strike

September first week looks more optimistic now
Old 13th August 2013, 19:37   #449
BHPian

With all the talk about having to acclimatize to the 390s shove, KTMs 'Orange Day' meets along the lines of Yamaha's R15 trackdays seems like a wonderful initiative
Old 14th August 2013, 02:44   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycee View Post
So was the bike delivered last Sunday or not? Does anyone have any update on the deliveries? The wait has become excruciatingly long..
The first bike has been delivered as per what I confirmed with the showroom owner.
90BHP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed